Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Re: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Postby eostby » 21 Feb 2016, 19:58

counterjockey wrote:
DennyR wrote:I think the best I can hope for with Dean is the main event is somehow made a triple threat. It feels kinda weird that he could go right back to feuding with Owens, when Owens is doing a thing with Ziggler (that being said, at one point Owens was feuding with like five different people, because he's just that damned good).

I'm kinda hoping Owens holds on to the IC title until Zayn gets called up so they can feud for that, and Zayn could win his first main roster title :D

I've heard Zayn mentioned a lot, I'm gonna have to check them out. I've only very recently got back into the thick of following wrestling again.

It's a good thing Sami's good friend El Generico convinced him to give the business a try just as Generico left to take care of orphans in Mexico.

By which I mean El Generico is the original incarnation of Sami Zayn, and the name under which all of his pre-WWE work is. But you might have already known that.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
DennyR
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DennyR » 22 Feb 2016, 00:13

counterjockey wrote:
DennyR wrote:I think the best I can hope for with Dean is the main event is somehow made a triple threat. It feels kinda weird that he could go right back to feuding with Owens, when Owens is doing a thing with Ziggler (that being said, at one point Owens was feuding with like five different people, because he's just that damned good).

I'm kinda hoping Owens holds on to the IC title until Zayn gets called up so they can feud for that, and Zayn could win his first main roster title :D

I've heard Zayn mentioned a lot, I'm gonna have to check them out. I've only very recently got back into the thick of following wrestling again.

A good place to start is his feud with Cesaro, they had some great matches together.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 22 Feb 2016, 13:53

Fastlane spoilers.

I had a post with my immediate feelings yesterday but I deleted it because I figured that I'm only a casual fan, and I should let the event settle before I try to have feelings about it.

I was actually angry when I saw the end of the main event. It was a very enjoyable match up to a point, and then kind of a shit-show for the last couple of minutes. Not because Reigns won, although I was kind of hoping to see him resort to winning dirty or something to make it more interesting, but because it seemed so oddly paced, thrown together, and anticlimactic. So disappointing.

With some more time to think about it, I am not "angry" anymore but god I hope they do something interesting with this, because I tolerate Reigns at least 50% because I like the way he makes me go weak at the knees when he stares at the camera, and somehow I don't think most of the audience is agreeing with me there. I've also become so invested in Dean Ambrose lately and I'm hungry to see where his story goes.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Feb 2016, 16:35

It was also a real non-ending, no build up to Reigns pinning Ambrose. Because of rumurs of Lesnar vs Strauman or Bray Wyatt I had thought that they would interfere and cost Lesnar the match, as they had with the Royal Rumble.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
counterjockey
First Video: How to be a Son of a Bitch

Postby counterjockey » 22 Feb 2016, 19:33

I think WhatCulture Wrestling did a good job distilling it down to:
The first two hours are well wrestled but ultimately unimaginative. The last hour is the worst kind or predictable and eats through the goodwill earned by the first two hours.
I'm personally annoyed by the waste of time that was the long, pointless promo for the Edge and Christian show of blah blah blah. Could have done a better job by having them guest referee New Day in a match, with New Day abusing the self promotion angle to distract them from some humorous heel shenanigans. Short, screwball finish would have meant it would have taken the same time and wouldn't have slammed the brakes on the show's momentum.
If there's time to clean, there's time to lean.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 23 Feb 2016, 02:02

My feelings on Fastlane:

Pretty much solid indifference at this point. Owens vs Ziggler and Charlotte vs Brie weren't bad matches, but it never felt like there was any chance the champs were losing those matches, so there was no actual tension for me. AJ vs Jericho was good, and it was good AJ got the win. E&C and New Day was just...bad. Really wasn't helped by finishing on Christian chanting "Watch our show."

The main event though. The only surprise was that the Wyatts didn't interfere. Roman got the win, Dean ate the pin, and once again Roman goes over people infinitely more popular than him. It's not surprising, so I'm not particularly angry, I just can't really care about the whole thing.

As for Raw:
Shane O Mac vs Undertaker in Hell in a Cell will be some sort of magnificent train wreck I hope. Shane's not a good wrestler, but he does stupid spots better than almost anyone. I'm hoping Dean vs Brock No Holds Barred is good too.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 25 Feb 2016, 04:24

So the official snowflakes came in for Fastlane (vroom):
Kalisto vs. Del Rio ***1/4
Becky/Sasha vs. Naomi/Tamina **1/2
Owens vs. Ziggler ***1/4
Big Show/Ryback/Kane vs. Wyatts ***
Charlotte vs. Brie **3/4
Styles vs. Jericho ****
Axel vs. R-Truth DUD
Ambrose vs. Lesnar vs. Reigns ****1/2

And I've been trawling Youtube on random wrestling related things, and came across this nostalgia bomb: BAH GAWD THEY'RE FRUITY!
counterjockey

Postby counterjockey » 25 Feb 2016, 07:46

Antitonic wrote:And I've been trawling Youtube on random wrestling related things, and came across this nostalgia bomb: BAH GAWD THEY'RE FRUITY!

I'm crying.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 25 Feb 2016, 18:02

Dean Ambrose vs Brock Lesnar looks to be really interesting. I like the idea of indestructible vs. unbeatable.

Some of the wind has been taken out of my sails for Wrestlemania, but that'll be a good watch.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 26 Feb 2016, 01:47

Fun little detail I just found out about. Go to google translate, and translate Sami Zayn from English to Arabic. Then, take the Arabic translation, and translate that back to English.
counterjockey

Postby counterjockey » 26 Feb 2016, 20:51

To get ready for Wrestlemania, I'm using the WWE network to watch every PPV from the beginning. I'm up to Summerslam 1989. It really puts everything into perspective.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 27 Feb 2016, 00:45

Edit: Actually, this could technically be considered spoilers for the most recent Raw, so:
There are at least two entrances that, if they come up at WrestleMania, I will absolutely lose my shit over. Both of which need a little bit of history to be acknowledged.

So I don't see them happening. But still...
counterjockey

Postby counterjockey » 03 Mar 2016, 10:37

For those moments when a certain announce table takes one for the team.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Mar 2016, 12:45

How the Spanish Announce Table hasn't been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame yet is beyond me.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
counterjockey

Postby counterjockey » 03 Mar 2016, 14:12

Elomin Sha wrote:How the Spanish Announce Table hasn't been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame yet is beyond me.

Truth.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 07 Mar 2016, 01:49

So, three matches announced for Roadblock so far (which is still a daft name, though I get what they are aiming for with the whole "road to Wrestlemania" thing). Dean vs HHH for the title, Enzo and Cass taking on Dash and Dawson for the NXT Tag titles, and Bray vs Brock.

It will almost certainly never happen, but I'd love if Dean somehow won, and I'd like to see Cass and Enzo win the tag titles which is monumentally more likely to happen.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Mar 2016, 02:34

There's no way that Dean is beating Triple H.

I can't stop hoping, though.

I am glad to see that the Lesnar/Wyatt feud hasn't actually been dropped, also; I was briefly afraid that it would be overshadowed and then fade away.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 07 Mar 2016, 03:54

In my fantasy booking I'm picturing a world where Dean wins, and the main event becomes Dean vs. Brock for the title, and HHH vs Roman is just a match. I also have backup fantasy booking of a fatal four way main event for the title. Justifying this thought by Triple H getting his rematch, and Roman does have a title match at Mania.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the deal would be with Brock and Bray, this doesn't feel like it will be much of a blow off though, so I think they might come back to it again maybe in the post-Mania season.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 07 Mar 2016, 04:48

Did you ever think you'd have Kane teach you about insurance?

Tough, here's Kane teaching you about insurance.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 07 Mar 2016, 04:54

Does he offer discounts on fire insurance?
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Mar 2016, 04:59

Personally, my fantasy booking is quite different. Dean beats Triple H and the main event at Mania becomes Brother vs. Brother, leading into the Roman Reigns heel turn I've been waiting for since I can't even remember. As for Brock Lesnar? Dean can still have his match against him earlier in the night. Last Man Standing with Kevin Owens didn't stop him at the Rumble, being carted away in an ambulance didn't stop him challenging Brock, why not have him take some beats and then get back up for the main event?

This is a fantasy booking leaning very heavily on "fantasy", but it's nice to dream.

As for Brock vs Bray at Roadblock, I agree that this doesn't feel like a real conclusion, so I'm just hoping this is just a step towards an ongoing story.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 08 Mar 2016, 02:33

On Raw from last night:

Yay, Zayn is up to the main roster and he's feuding with Owens :D Surprised he was called up this close to Wrestlemania, but I'm not complaining cause I love Sami. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to next week's Raw with a sort of morbid curiosity, because I wonder how badly Roman will get booed given how clearly people want Dean over him during this Dean/HHH mini-feud.
counterjockey

Postby counterjockey » 08 Mar 2016, 09:39

Seriously, every time I watch something new from WWE here recently, I'm pushed more and more to ask if they are doing something really smart. I'm also worried that is me getting built up to a major disappointment. It feels like they had a dead fish on their hands with Fastlane, they were weighed down by Cena being injured, and they realized something had to happen. Things it 'seems' like they are doing:

1.) Shane and a possible end to the authority (also an opening to do something clever to retire the undertaker, like have him say "all things pass on", and tombstone Vince, etc.)
2.) Shake up the top of the card with the Dean/Roman/HHH/Brock clusterfuffle. (please be going somewhere...)
3.) Build a better mid-card, with Jericho and AJ being the feud at the middle of it.
4.) Deepen the roster (AJ, Sami, hopefully more...)
5.) Divas I actually want to watch wrestle. Becky/Sasha/Ms.Flair is a match I WANT to see. There is a great baby face (Chaotic Good), Sasha (true neutral), and a great heel (Neutral Evil).
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 08 Mar 2016, 20:29

Finally got to watch RAW from last week and this week. 2 big things stand out:

1) I'm actually really excited for the Divas 3-way match at Mania. Becky/Sasha/Charlotte are really fun wrestlers to watch.

2) I fucking love the Social Outcasts. They're a great goofy foil to the super-serious HHH storylines they have going atm. The reasons Ryback can't have fun outside of a team was great
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 15 Mar 2016, 05:02

Seems Neville has injured himself on Raw, suspected broken shin and ankle. Horrible thing to happen for the poor guy, and this close to Wrestlemania.

Return to “General Discussion”