Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Re: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Postby eostby » 12 Oct 2016, 21:32

The generic answer is to start here: http://corporate.wwe.com
What I believe to be the specific statement you seek is here: http://corporate.wwe.com/news/company-n ... 21-06-2016
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 13 Oct 2016, 07:14

MotorWaffle wrote:Quick question if anyone knows the answer:

Where can I find WWE press releases and official statements? I'm working on an Arthur Page case study of their transparency in the Roman Reigns wellness policy failure.

There's also Brock Lesnar's violation too. They say that he's part time so he doesn't need to be tested, and that rolls into the Paige issue, is she full-time or part-time at the moment because of her injuries. But this is probably different to what you're looking at.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 14 Oct 2016, 19:54

Elomin Sha wrote:
MotorWaffle wrote:Quick question if anyone knows the answer:

Where can I find WWE press releases and official statements? I'm working on an Arthur Page case study of their transparency in the Roman Reigns wellness policy failure.

There's also Brock Lesnar's violation too. They say that he's part time so he doesn't need to be tested, and that rolls into the Paige issue, is she full-time or part-time at the moment because of her injuries. But this is probably different to what you're looking at.

Thanks very much!
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 15 Oct 2016, 04:17

No problem, if you want good podcasts to listen too about wrestling that give out information and talks about similar issues: Wrestling Soup, Solomonster and The Don Tony & Kevin Castle Show.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
GlorySeer
First Video: The Job

Postby GlorySeer » 31 Jan 2017, 21:10

So, I watched the rumble. This is the first wrestling event I've ever watched. All I know about wrestling comes from sWs. So I feel like I'm exactly the person WWE wants to impress with this kind of event so I keep my subscription to the Network.

And I have to say that the Royal Rumble itself was fun. I just had a problem with one thing... well, person.

Spoilers:

All of the matches were fun that I saw. I kind of watched most of it with the 'have it on in the background and pay attention when it felt story-relevant' similar to what Graham mentioned in the first sWs. So I may have missed a bit. But overall the matches seemed very solid. I was a bit disappointed to see Charlotte win, since I'm not a huge fan of her character. But it's not like I can say it didn't feel earned. Other than that, all the wins seemed fine to me. It was interesting seeing Gallows and Anderson take the tag titles.

The one individual match that bothered me was Reigns vs Owens. It felt like a lot of it was Owens beating Reigns pretty handily. Then he managed to turn it around somewhat. Which... sure, why not? Owens got the brass knuckles and managed to use them. At that point, it seemed like Roman was just beaten. Yet he still managed to come around and reverse the big move into the chairs (which thanks to sWs I knew that spot was coming). But... it didn't even look that bad? Like, I'm sure that hurt a lot. But it didn't seem like a full on KO to KO. Maybe I'm just underestimating it.

The desk spot felt like a bit too much pandering to me. But sure making sure Owens was out and a callback to the buildup. Fine. I'm not happy Reigns is going to win when it felt like Owens got in more offense. Especially getting double-teamed at the very beginning. But it didn't bother me too much.

Then Braun comes in. The hell? I had no idea why that was happening until someone on commentary mentioned Roman spearing him during a RAW. That helped explain it. Reigns gets beaten to hell, and Owens gets the win by waking up at exactly the right moment. It just felt really weird to me. Like... I know Jericho couldn't help and they needed something. But I feel like Owens could have just won by the 'cheap' beat up at the beginning and the knuckles. As it is, Roman felt like 'Super Reigns' and Owens kind of felt like he was made out to be weak to me.

I also want to mention the commenters. On the podcast, Graham mentioned not liking 'heel' announcers who just shit on everything. During the Owens/Reigns match, the guy who kept complaining about Owens needing help (Saxton?) really felt petulant. Like a little kid complaining that the villain is doing the bad thing. Like, I assume that he's meant to be the baby face announcer. But it just kind of felt stupid to me. The same went for the person who kept complaining about Saxton really. It just felt like they turned into a pair of bothers arguing.

For the rumble itself, the entire thing was a lot of fun. I wasn't a huge fan of the Enzo and Cass intro (felt it went on a bit long). And there was too much of a focus on the 'big guys.' But overall I really enjoyed the majority of it. Watching Jericho slip in and out of the ring was really nice. And seeing all of the moves that happened was nice as a new viewer. There was a lot of variety that really helped keep my interested as well. Seeing so many wrestlers was nice. And I really enjoyed Elsworth and Ambrose, especially their interaction at the rumble.

Also want to note that I loved Ambrose's segment earlier in the show when the numbers were being chosen. "8. No, wait, it's upside down. 8" legitimately made me laugh.

Lesnar showed up and beat everyone. But he's a big monster. Goldberg came down and just knocked him out, which I was fine with. While I was sad to see them eliminated, Cesaro and Shamus knocking out the New Day was pretty great. And the turn after that was actually pretty awesome. I will say I find it interesting it felt like something, then some people would just go and take a nap for a couple of minutes without being targeted. Normally when someone new came in. Not a complaint, but was something I noticed.

So I'm having a good time. Then... number 30 hits. And it's Roman Reigns. It felt like the steam the show had basically just went out the window. The crowd wasn't happy. I wasn't happy either. But not enough to be bothered by it really.

Then he just starts going off on people. He eliminates three wrestlers, the third-higher amount of the night. Undertaker is one of them, who they made out to be a monster. Wyatt is the other, who they really played up on the 'two on one' card with before he was eliminated. There was also Jericho, who was my favorite of the night. All of this after being beaten up so badly by Strowman earlier in the same night. To the point he barely seemed conscious, and with the commentators mentioning his 'rib injury' during the earlier match. I mean, it was a couple of hours between then, but even then he seemed to be a dominant force. It just felt... forced to me, if that makes sense. I could understand if he hadn't been in a title match earlier in the night. I don't know.

All of that said, I have no problem with Orton winning. I would have liked to see it be Bray and Orton at the end. and Bray 'giving' it to Orton as a reward for his loyalty.

TL;DR: Fun, but I'm hesitant to keep up with the network. I'll at least wait until the next PPV though.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 01 Feb 2017, 18:00

Welcome to WWE force pushing a wrestler on you and its not feeling natural.
Also, I don't think the tag line 'Remember the Rumble' is a good one. All the part timers were weighted to the end. The only surprise was Ty Dillenger. And Reigns shouldn't have been the 30th man. In kayfabe/storyline: why did he have a reserved spot for losing? WWE have really stupid writing sometimes. It was the second loudest changs of Bullshit since Undertaker lost at Wrestlemania.
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 01 Feb 2017, 19:26

How brutal was Harper's entrance though?

Also, really wasn't a fan of Taker in this Rumble. I have a lot of nostalgia and respect for the man but I hope this is his last Mania.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 13 Feb 2017, 17:34

I'll admit, the Elimination Chamber kind of made up for a lot of the disappointment that happened during the Rumble. Seriously, I didn't expect Bray Wyatt to get clean pins on both Cena and Styles. And that (hopefully) wrestlemania match seems sweet.

That said... I think I've realized something about how I enjoy wrestling. I thought the Rumble was cool. I thought the Elimination Chamber was awesome. But the singles events... I just haven't really cared about, to be honest. I'm not really sure why. But they haven't gotten my interest. Realistically, if someone only enjoys the 'spectacle' matches, is it really worth keeping the subscription? I'm sure that's a YMMV question that I need to decide for myself. I'm just curious how common those types of events actually are.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 13 Feb 2017, 17:58

Some sort of multi-man brawl type of match? Let's list them out. The Rumble, Elimination Chamber, MITB, Survivor Series, the Andre Battle Royal at Mania... and beyond that, maybe a handful of others over the course of the year that won't have much if any advance notice. Of course, there's always the old matches on the Network, so you could watch past Rumbles, MITBs, Series, and Chamber matches.

But if multi-man matches are your primary focus, you might try looking towards the indies, as they tend to do a bit more spectacle. Chikara in particular comes to mind, with the Torneo Cibernetico, King of Trios weekend, plenty of matches from the Colony, and just other good generic melees.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
virre
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby virre » 13 Feb 2017, 23:28

With single matches a lot of the drama is in the story-line build up too. So when we just watch PPVs we lose a lot of the point of the matches. I have the same issue as I can't legally see the weekly shows*, also no way I look at so many hours of WWE programs anyway.

Though Harper vs Orton at this event was real good a lot of the other was hard to care about.

* = almost sure about that, maybe I can see it on Hulu but I don't think so because I think the Scandinavian rights is with a company that refuse to show it in Sweden.
GlorySeer

Postby GlorySeer » 14 Feb 2017, 09:59

I'm actually planning on trying to squeeze in last years PPVs before my free month runs out. Hopefully knowing the storylines from each thanks to sWs will give me a better feel. Beyond that, I'll have to check out the indies. Is the TLC PPV a regular thing, or is was that a 'Roadblock' situation (the one before Mania that seemed to come out of nowhere)? Because the ladders match sounds like it'd be right up my alley as well.

As for the drama being in the build-up, that's true as well. I haven't had a chance to watch RAW or Smackdown yet. Mostly because I didn't realize it wasn't included with the Network. But Harper vs Orton was more interesting to me than the rest of the card. I'm not sure if that's due to it just being an excellent match, or if it's because I knew the storyline going in thanks to the Rumble.
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 18 Feb 2017, 23:08

Any one else psyched for Lucha Underground coming to Netflix?
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 Feb 2017, 01:04

I will be VERY psyched if it comes to Aus Netflix, yes.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 21 Feb 2017, 12:51

So how awesome would a KO vs Jericho match at Wrestlemania be? I really hope Owens keeps the title after Fastlane, because that would be an incredible title match.

Edit: My fear is they'll give it to Goldberg, since he's up 2-0 on Brock, then Brock wins at Wrestlemania to make their feud more "even".
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
virre

Postby virre » 22 Feb 2017, 09:51

Not sure if this is where to post this kind of picture but I suspect people here might enjoy it and what that entails (Well except, a clear mark of no respect for intellectual property from the lucha libre promotion)

bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 04 Mar 2017, 15:39

Man, Miz cut an awesome promo on Cena on SD this week. One of the best segments in a while (although the Festival of Friendship was amazing as well)
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 06 Mar 2017, 04:57

Fastlane:
Man, I really hoped Goldberg wouldn't win, but not surprised. They had to give Lesner v Goldberg 3 something to add stakes. Also, another Roman Reigns victory. Boooo :p
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 06 Mar 2017, 09:47

Yeah, I really disliked the entire event top to bottom, with the exception of the Cruiserweight match (Seriously, Neville/Gallagher are amazing), and the Tag match. KO/Goldberg was dumb, Roman/BRAAAAAAAAAAUN was bad (this may be my dislike of Roman colouring my opinion), and Bayley/Charlotte just sort of happened. Nothing interesting in the entire night.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Mar 2017, 20:51

I just watched Wrestling isn't Wrestling. It's... not at all what I expected, but was informative nonetheless.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

TinkerDink
First Video: Unskippable: Deadly Premonition

Postby TinkerDink » 18 Mar 2017, 16:39

So I just noticed this from this weeks Smackdown:

mikeyjh

Postby mikeyjh » 19 Mar 2017, 08:39

just now seeing this thread.

now that I know such a thread exits I can put this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RFCRpp9P0
virre

Postby virre » 20 Mar 2017, 01:48

TinkerDink wrote:So I just noticed this from this weeks Smackdown:

We must find out who did this and praise them indeed.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 20 Mar 2017, 04:38

As long as it says "Button Please" on the back.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Apr 2017, 05:31

If you havent' seen it, both Tag Matches at NXT Takeover: Orlando were amazing. Very good story telling.
virre

Postby virre » 04 Apr 2017, 05:02

Time for some opinions on the Wrestlemania weekend, be aware the spoilers will be real so make sure to not read inside the spoiler tags. I did not take notes while watching so be ready for just thoughts

NXT: Take Over

8-Person Tag Team Match - SAnitY vs Tye Dillinger + Friends

I have not been keeping up on NXT lately, but the little I seen of SAnitY I really liked. Tye Dillinger I seen less of and am getting very tired of the Ten Chants, I am sure he can do some cool stuff but I am not as invested in that team. The match was enjoyable enough. I also really enjoy Nikki Cross wrestling (also I find her attractive, which is not relevant for the wrestling but gives a bit extra to the entertainment).

SAnitY feels real as a team, they have chemistry and they sure can do some wrestlemoves to. It ties for the match I enjoyed the most of the NXT card.

I hope this was the last we seen on Tye Dillinger on NXT so he can destroy the main product with 10 chants, there is no reason to job him out to SAnitY if not moveing him up.

Aleister Black vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas[/b}

It feels like Cien is lagging behind others a little bit as he seem to be the entry level opponent of most people. His hipster persona have it's good side but I just have a hard time taking him serious. Aleister Black on the other hand seem to come in with a well build and enjoyable character. His style is also very enjoyable , and I liked his win even if CIen needs to win sometimes and I never seen that happen. McGuiness is real good on commentary so I hope the Fed will handle the fact he did a misstake good as he without question together with Corey Graves is the best commentator they have right now, or well one more but we'll come to that.

[b]The Authors of Pain vs. #DIY vs The Revival

Well I hope this was the passing of the torch for The Revival and #DIY, they really could help on the main rooster together with what happend in acctual Wrestlemania. Authors of Pain came of real strong and it was cool to see #DIY and The Revival joining forces in the way they did. If #DIY is to be left in NXT they would have earned on not beeintg eliminated first so I really hope we see them on a main show. This was together with the SAniTY match the best on the rooster which is a bit worrying for the product, but it's main purpose is development so we will hopefully see new starts join in and build for singles competition.

Asuka vs Ember Moon
Asuka is starting to go a bit stale with crushing everything in her way. I think one of the reasons is that she already have the skillset to deliver shows but her opponents are still developing. I really hope Asuka will go up to the main rooster soon enough, she belongs up there. The fact that Ember Moon forced Asuka to cheat was nice, but the match should have been broken the moment she put hands on the ref. She would still keep the belt but oh well. Ember Moon is a good challenger as she is build, but I would rather like to see Nikki Cross in the title chase in the comming year. Not rightr now, but maybe in 6-months to a year.

Bobby Roode vs Shinsuke Nakamura

The fact that Shinsuke entrance was so low key told us early on both who is going to win, and that Shinsuke might not be on NXT for much longer. The problem with this match is so clear, we have to excellent in-ring performers that is doing good story telling (Though it's a bit the same story as last time) but have very little in chemistry between them. It was hard to keep interest in this match, and indeed I might have scrubbed forward 10 secs on the network a few times.

Wrestlemania
Preshow
Not going into details on the pre-show but, the Crusierweight Match was good and should be on the main card, the Andre the Giant: Memorial tournament was, well intresting even if a few things was rather typical. (Combine to get the giant out etc). I liked we saw Killian Dain in the match for so long. The celebertiy interaction was fun and it was smart todo it on the Preshow as not main people outside of the US knows American Football player. The result was a bit bah, but still. The bumped Ambrose and Corbin match was a bit sad, but it was nice to see men bumped considering recent history. And the match was enjoyable enough and I am sure not the last we see of those two as they both are good inring performers.

AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon

This was a surprisingly good match with great story telling. Of course AJ should be headlineing a Wrestlemania not starting it off with an old part-time. But they took there place and set a high-bar, there trying to adapt to each others style. McMahons MMA style offense that is much more real then Lessnars Supplex City style helped surprisingly much with it. And yeah put AJ Styles in something and it will be good. AJs bad styles are unwrestling related but they still make me have a hard time totaly marking out for him, but in-ring he will deliver.

Chris Jericho vs Kevin Owens

How to folllow that, well but the end to one of the best storylines during the last year in with two great in-ring performers. This match was so good, and used the story build so good. Of course KO have had his matches with former best friends before, and somehow it still works. Jerchiho is great, KO is great, they work great together. So it all worked well, and story telling was excellent.

Bayley, Charlotte Flair, Nia Jax, and Sasha Banks

The eliimination aspect of this match was really needed otherwise you can't have Nia Jax in a match. It's going to be a problem to build her like that kind of monster with so few women to fight. The combination vs Nia Jax was good, otherwise it was happening, the Randy Savage elbow from Bayle was fun, and her Wrestlemania moment is nice but it would have been so much better if she acctualy won the belt here and not defended it. Also it's really a year to early for her I feel. But whatever, I really hope they can grow the womens division a bit as they are in desperate need of some variation.

Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson vs Cesaro and Sheamus vs Enzo Amore and Big Cass vs Hardy Boyz

I marked out as crazy. Although my network crashed just before the Hardys entrance. Fitting, even if they never said they where broken. Honestly it's clear we don't need to be told that. The Final Deletion for free on youtube makes it not matter what they call themself. You heard all the Delete chants all the time.

The match, I am not sure I am super into the old team coming back to take the belt, but maybe it can build good story. Also the Hardys are worthy of that kind of Wrestlemania moment, and they did awesome shit. They are so good wrestlers. It's also not like the other teams loses anything to lose to the Hardys in there Fed return. I am excited about TagTeam wrestling in WWE again thanks to this. (I also hope we will see them be allowed to be broken but that is left to see)

John Cena and Nikki Bella vs The Miz and Maryse

It's nice to see The Miz and Maryse job out to allow Nikki Bella to have her Wrestlemania moment. It was a Lol Cena Wins match really, even if it was Nikki that got the pin. And then the most well-known "surprise" purposal ever, I guess it was nice for them. I just hope The Miz and Maryse don't take a beating because of jobbing out to Cena here. The Miz is such a good heel and awefull good guy. I mean this shite was on the card but it was just the drifver for the purposal, thats the moment what will be in the history books.

Seth Rollins vs Triple H

I like that Tripple H is ready to put over guys he belives in, he is no Hogan. He takes his beating, and this match was not super awesome but it was a good match for it's point on the card and there where good pyschology and a great build for Seth. The who will Pedigree thing was real nice, and you can say what you want about the McMahons but they are ready to take bumps. Seth needed the win, Seth got the win. I guess we see Samoa Joe or Ambrose vs HHH next year.

Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton

Why, why did they have to go have those two face off. Orton is not a fun watch, the bad effects gave a bit of a feeling but nah. Also Wyatt really needs a run with a title. He is real enjoyable when he goes against people that can act and react, and not just RKO out of nowhere. That one is so predictable and naff. This match was the worst on the card.

Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar

This went was I guess most people predicted Paul Heymans client was ready this time, and while he took some spears had the tools to hinder the outslaught, and the awkward as hell jumping jack over P.E teacher Goldberg worked well enough and then supplex city. Enjoyable and quick, and just what we thought we would get. And we finally got that match we deserved years ago. This at least was not boring.

Alexa Bliss vs Becky Lynch vs Naomi vs Mickie James vs Natalya vs Carmella

The best thing about this match was that there was some SBNation writer that saw her first wrestling and described Ellsworth as Vanilla Ices younger brother. There where good spots and all but it felt so clear that Naomi would win because Orlando so it's hard to start invested in all of Alexa Bliss sneaking out and then hindering people from pinning. The tapping out finish was a clear "you are not healthy enough really, but it's wrestlemania" moment. I like that Mickie James really get to show she belongs in the modern era of WOMENS wrestling though and there where some nice points all through but dramaturgy is needed.

The Undertaker vs Roman Reigns

The moment JR is back we know how it will end and what will follow. But at least we got that iconic voice commenting on the iconic moment as it should be. The match is boring but it's neither persons fault really, Reigns can wrestle (the issue with him is the position he has as a face, and the hurt it does on the show narrative to have a product hows writeing ideas is booed) but he needs somebody to lead in the ring, and while Taker have the head for the business, but his body is not on the level to deliver to his head and it's so obvious in this match. This is really the match where Reigns should have turned heel, if you pension of Taker, you should take to extra-ordanary means and I do not just mean amazeing amounts of spears and superman punches (Reigns made the superman punch boring).

The moment after the match is more important, Reigns got his firework and celebration when he left, which I guess is okey, but it would have been better if just lumbered off. And then Takers moments, such an end to a so profilic carrer.

---

Thoughts
Oh please don't let reigns become the new Taker that rules Wrestlemania... But I am afraid in a year the maine vent is Brock Lessnar vs Reigns for the Universal Championship in a cage match or something like that, and Reigns winning. I hope to see a Samoa Joe as a major compeitior next year, and AJ Styles should be headlineing by then and ugh. There where good and bad moments, but this Wrestlemania at least was better then last year. Best matche is tied betwen Ladder Tag Team, KO Vs Jericho and Style McMahon for me. I suspect people will like Rollins vs HHH, but I never got invested in Seth. I care more about Samoa Joe then I do Seth...

Return to “General Discussion”