Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Postby hascow » 29 Jan 2015, 16:33

SPOILER RULES: for 24 hours post-PPVs, spoiler tags are required when discussing that PPV. 3 hours for normal shows to allow for West Coast airings.

I'm sure a bunch of people would love to talk about this, based on the fact that Royal Rumble talk took over a bunch of the MTG stream.

Talk about WWE/NXT/Lucha Underground/ROH/NJPW/whatever you want wrestling related.

How about that Triple Threat match at the Rumble?
Last edited by hascow on 01 Feb 2015, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Jan 2015, 16:39

It was the best match of the night due to Seth Rollings who fought like a baby face and not a heel; Pheonix Splash for example. The card was a little too heavy on tag team matches. 4 matches one after the other.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 29 Jan 2015, 16:41

I had been thinking of making this thread for ages. I approve.

Triple threat was really good. Everyone came out looking better than they went in. Brock is a monster (he was just throwing people all over the ring), Rollins is a bit of a coward, but not weak, and really smart/cunning, and Cena is Cena.

Also, Rollins flipping out of a german suplex? Very cool.

Rumble was fine. Bray Wyatt did the bit where he got to be alone in the ring for a while and talk, which was cool. I think CM Punk did that bit a few years ago? 2011 maybe?

Ending was meh. Reigns is ok, but he's not great, and they clearly want him to be not only great, but great right now. He needs more time, and rushing it will hurt him, and the product.

Need to watch more NXT. The only NXT I've seen was the last 2 PPVs.

EDIT: If this is going to be the wretling thread, do we want to establish rules about spoilers? Due to the timezones, I don't get to see PPVs until after they've finished. I guess I'll just avoid the thread until I see it, but something to consider, anyway.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 29 Jan 2015, 17:33

Wyatt's promo-ing mid rumble was straight out of SES Punk's playbook, so 2010. Punk might've done something similar in 2011 because of The Nexus, but I can't remember.

I find myself in a weird position with wrestling. I'm watching it more now for the storylines and skipping over the matches. Give me a good promo, and I'm all over it, but matches, even if they're outstanding tend to get a "meh" from me. It's why I don't watch any New Japan or anything.

That said, I don't think I can recall hearing such a mood change as in the Rumble. Crowd was hot, crowd was bored, crowd was actively shitting on the product.
korvys

Postby korvys » 29 Jan 2015, 17:40

I guessed 2011, because MitB 2011 was the Punk leaving match (I still watch that match every now and then, and the crowed reaction gives me chills every time).

Since I'll never get to share it otherwise, someone mashed up the Summer of Punk with Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rz38IwXKG0

Just perfect.

keybase.io
korvys

Postby korvys » 29 Jan 2015, 17:49

Also, for what it's worth, Meltzer gave the Triple Threat 4 and 3/4 stars.

keybase.io
hascow

Postby hascow » 29 Jan 2015, 17:51

We should definitely discuss spoiler timing. 24 hours after a show finishes? Just for PPVs? I don't actually know what's expected/best.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 29 Jan 2015, 17:57

Love that Summer of Punk video. Same guy did a Daniel Bryan one, which I don't think is as good, but still: Dragonborn: The Story of Daniel Bryan.
korvys

Postby korvys » 29 Jan 2015, 18:04

"I don't think Daniel Bryan is as good as Punk, but still..." pretty much sum up my feelings towards him. :P

keybase.io
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 29 Jan 2015, 23:08

24 hours is probably good for PPV spoilers. Do we also want a 3 hour moratorium on Raw developments to allow for the Pacific timezone?
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
Wolfwood723
First Video: Poker Before Dusk

Postby Wolfwood723 » 31 Jan 2015, 14:37

Finally I thread I can really sink my teeth into.

On the Rumble, the 3 way was great, loved the elbow drop table spot. The pre show tag match on the Network was fun as I am totally behind Kidd and Cesaro as a team. The rumble it self had some good moments but was poorly booked over all, the end was just horrible, I get having Ambrose and Reigns standing together but you had Big Show and Kane in the final four, and don't even get me started on Bryan and Zigglers eliminations.

As far as Reigns winning, he is simply not ready, and WWE themselves seem to forget that even Cena got over with the crowd as he was coming up. With Reigns they expect us to accept him as the next top guy without him earning it.

Now for anyone with the Network you really should watch NXT, it is the best show WWE puts on, period. The day that HHH takes over for Vince is looking better and better based on what NXT is producing.

Lastly, if anyone here is into the art of wrestling (not the podcast, hehe) you owe it to yourself to check out New Japan Pro Wrestling. It is the best in ring product in the world right now, hands down. There big show a few weeks ago, Wrestle Kingdom 9, was incredible. And they had JR and Matt Striker doing the english commentary as well. Listening to JR call wrestling again brought a smile to my face.

Anyway, I think thats enough outa me for now.
ObiWan Canadian on twitch and XBL
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 31 Jan 2015, 14:42

Everyone seems to forget that Rusev was in the final four. I says something when the character designed to inspire patriotism in the American audience start chanting "We want Ruzev".
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Wolfwood723

Postby Wolfwood723 » 31 Jan 2015, 14:49

Rusev was still in the match technically, but in terms of the final four stare down/pause moment that has become more of a staple in rumble matches, Rusev wasn't part of it. Also Rusevs exit was too quick, Reigns and him should have gone a few minutes before he got tossed.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 31 Jan 2015, 14:53

Again poor booking. While I agree of the stare down, still not the final four. I can't remember if they mention Rusev was the last eliminated on SmackDown. If Lana doesn't play that up it is a bit a of a detriment to Rusev's accomplishments as a heel.
hascow

Postby hascow » 01 Feb 2015, 20:53

I've been catching up on NXT lately since I have the WWE Network. I'm convinced it's just better than the main WWE stuff. Probably because they have less time to fill so they have to clean up all their storylines and matches.
Wolfwood723

Postby Wolfwood723 » 02 Feb 2015, 02:21

It helps that they have some amazing talent heading up the roster as well as divas who can actually wrestle, and get more than 3 minutes to do so.
korvys

Postby korvys » 02 Feb 2015, 02:39

Yeah, it will be great to see them pushed up to the main roster, have the company ignore what made them great, and within a year they'll be on Total Divas. Sounds good.

keybase.io
Wolfwood723

Postby Wolfwood723 » 02 Feb 2015, 02:51

Which is why I hope that people like Zayn, Balor, and Charlotte stay in NXT till Vince finally dies. I can't wait for the day Triple H is running the main roster.

I feel this is a good time for this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmhw43ratxA
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Feb 2015, 05:31

That's a little cold.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 02 Feb 2015, 08:24

I was honestly expecting the Pipebomb promo. So, in that case: http://youtu.be/2OS9wZGb_3g
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Feb 2015, 08:55

Just be glad it isn't 1995 all over again.
Wolfwood723

Postby Wolfwood723 » 02 Feb 2015, 13:26

I know it may sound cold but the reason I put it that way is Vince, his family, and many people in the organization comment on the fact that Vince will never retire. barring an illness of some kind, He will be at the helm of WWE till his last breath.

I don't really want Vince to die but its likely the only way he wont have the book anymore.
Wolfwood723

Postby Wolfwood723 » 04 Feb 2015, 08:41

Ok it is Wednesday so I feel that Raw is ok to talk about.

I am glad that they finally addressed the fact that Bryan never lost the title in a match but lets face it, Reigns is the guy, he is going over at Fast Lane, and he is going to take the title at Wrestlemania. Don't get me wrong, I know how much Vince will filp flop on choices made so if Bryan won and got to fight for the title it wouldn't shock me, but I fee like this Fast Lane match is only happening to placate the fans.

Also not directly related to Raw but I loved the Austin/Triple H podcast. I wish they would have talked about the two man power trip but given that Benoit was in the tag match that ended the Austin/Triple H team I understand them staying clear of it.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Feb 2015, 09:05

A little annoying how they completely skipped over Rusev. Who had a claim too. They could have made it a triple threat match tha night and still had the same outcome.
korvys

Postby korvys » 04 Feb 2015, 13:29

What's Rusev's claim (other than just having won a lot)?

Putting Bryan in the match was smart. He had a claim, and it positions Reigns as a tweener since people aren't buying him as a pure face.

keybase.io

Return to “General Discussion”