Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

Postby Duckay » 21 Jun 2016, 17:09

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? It could be literally anything. I've seen so much speculation and I don't want to get into that mess right now. There's people suggesting everything under the sun from an unreported concussion/refusal to get checked out for injury to hard drugs and there's just no way to know for sure, as far as I know.

Either way, it sort of takes some of the wind out of my sails because I was so excited post-MitB about the championship and the Shield storyline.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Jul 2016, 15:15

Urgh this has been bothering tonight. There was a custom video someone did a long time ago for the Undertaker. It was his Ministry of Darkness titantron that cut into the Giant Gonzalez match at the end to pad it out to the song's 5:16 length. We're talking WinMX days when I downloaded it. I'm trying to remember the song that played over it. It was a type of rap and it did say the word nigga every so often. It was kind of aggressive and some bell tones at the beginning (not sure if that was added).

It's a long shot that anyone here would have seen it to. It's just bothering me that I never knew the title who sung it, I think a lyric mentioned Run DMC or DMX. And I know it should be one of the main rappers but my brain sucks at names. The words and tune to the song are in my head but they won't form. I hate forgetting things from 16 years ago.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 12 Jul 2016, 13:35

Raw was okay this week. Quite annoyed by how they did New Day vs Wyatt Family at the Wyatt's compound. The filter they used made it really hard to see what has happening.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
DennyR
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DennyR » 14 Jul 2016, 05:24

So, last weekend I went over to England to see a Revolution Pro Wrestling show, got to meet Matt Sydal and Katsuyori Shibata :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHshVo-BH7i/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHsheqQhf5K/

It was a super fun show, second time I've gone over for their Summer Sizzler. Full card was:

Charlie Garrett & Joel Redman (c). def Jody Fleisch & Jonny Storm, The British Young Bloods (Bruce & Jake McClusky), and The Legion of Lords (Lord Gideon Grey and Rishi Ghosh) to retain the RPW Tag Titles.
Tomohiro Ishii def. Josh Bodom
Sha Samuels def. Moose
Marty Scurll def Mike Bailey
Will Ospreay def. Pete Dunne (c) for the RP British Cruiserweight Championship
Matt Sydal def. Big Damo
Zack Sabre Jr. (c) def Katsuyori Shibata for the RP British Heavyweight Championship.

Fun crowd too, whenever the ref was counting someone out, the crowd would shout "MOOSE!" after each number, when Scurll vs. Bailey was on they started chanting "hey-ey we want some Bailey!", and a variety of other pretty funny chants happened too (like calling Sha Samuels "Fat Cantona").
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 14 Jul 2016, 08:39

Just watched the first episode of the Cruiserweight Classic. Very well put together. It as great to hear proper commentary for once. Hopefully the matches haven't been booked and the wins are authentic, but I called all four match wins correctly. Looking forward to next week's match with Tajiri's return, despite accidentally knowing the outcome when looking up the participant list on wikipedia.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Jul 2016, 05:12

Second CWC episode:
The crowd reaction for Tajiri's return was very lacking to begin with, even that double chants of "You still got it" "Never lost it". Slater was very smooth with his moves, nothing really you could find wrong with him. This was the most traditional match on the card this episode.

Da Mack and TJ Perkins were both very entertaining with their moves and flambouance. Really good entertainers.

Dorado seemed to be very typical of lucha libre, not showing much innovation. Then he performed a head scissors off the apron and a springboard reverse spike hurracarana. Ouch.
Ali almost as high lfying but with stiff attacks like his knee and Spanish fly.

Tozawa and Johnson some lovely mat and chain wrestling at the start. Followed through with some nice tenchincal style and counters.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 28 Jul 2016, 04:06

Episode 3 of the CWC

Zack Sabre Jr pretty much owned the entire match with his ultra fluid twisting of locks and transitions of various holds and submissions. Most technical match I ever saw.

Gulak and Sihra was the only match I really zoned out of so far. Some basic submissions and and cruiserweight moves, but more grounded.

Bennett and Nese. Bennett felt like he was channelling Big E. Nese for as muscular he is he is decepetively quick and athletic. Bennett looked to have been injured and the match was stopped for a few seconds.

It was good to see Kendrick again. Wrestlign for so long he used veteran tricks of huggng the ropes to gain space before attacking.
Mendoza had a very inovative inverted Cesaro Swing which was started from a submission hold into a face plant but holding the submission with a body scissors.

-----
Now that Sasha Banks is the Women's Champion and more of the NXT female wrestlers have come up, the division should be a lot better than what the 'Revolution' did not deliver on.
Charlotte vs Sasha was a great match telling a good story, its a shame Charlotte had so few matches like that which made her reign boring. It was only interesting when Ric Flair was with her but that got stale very quickly. Compared to Nikki Bella's reign there was no real high or lows apart from Sasha getting what she deserved with the title. Nikki's is memorable for how bad, protracted, political and protected it was.

Raw and Smackdown have been strong this week, just hope it can continue.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Aug 2016, 08:38

Episode 4 of CWC:

Lee vs Swann. Martial arts vs wrestling. Swann has in ring theatrics down getting the crowd chanting with his dancing and athletic moves (standing 450 splash from a stationary position). Lee has very nice quick, strong stikes.

Sihra vs Dar. The second Sihra brother. Learn a nice little story about the Sihra's. Their grandfather went around his town to let all he knew his grandsons would be wrestling in the CWC. They were asked if he was going to watch them, Sihra's said no, he'll listen because he was blind. Reminds me of a story Tommy Dreamer said that his father was blind and never got to see him wrestle until one day when a medial proceedure allowed him to see a match but his eyesight waned again. Dreamer was happy his father got to see what he loved doing.
One major botch which Manula and Bryan managed to play off very well, when Sihra went for a pendulum backbreaker but slipped turning it into a falling sidewalk slam.
Dar had some good stiff attacks but the match was generally by the book.

Gallagher vs Eichner. I didn't think anyone could be paler than Sheamus or Paige, but they found Gallagher. Eichner doing various Cesaro impression with his feats of strength and athleticism. Gallagher is as fluid as Sabre Jr with his escapes but has a entertaining flair to his catchers-catch style. And Gallagher's running drop kick, lovely, it's been done a million times but his elevation and distance covered was amazing.

Gargano vs Ciampa. NXT tag team going against each other so we had a vignette about their career together. Let the spit fly with a vicious back elbow from Ciampa. He has some vicious strikes. Lots of ooos and clenching as I watched this match. Botch at the end but Ciampa managed to fix it so the intended pin actually happened as a counter followed by another counter.

First C-Dub-C (CWC) chant this episode in the vain of N-X-T and E-C-Dub (ECW).
I'm loving Ranallo's commentating and his reactions. He's reminding me a lot of Jim Ross. Both makes you care about what happens in the ring.

---
I feel bad for Eva Marie, she may have improved slightly after getting some training that she sorely needed, she looks to have pulled a hamstring from simply getting down from the second turnbuckle before the match started.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 18 Aug 2016, 15:19

So there have been three more Wellness Policy violations and subsequent 30-day suspensions in the WWE.

Eva Marie.
Paige
and Alberto Del Rio.

The last two were in a relationship together, and WWE has a history of if they punish one they punish the other two (happens with tag teams a lot). Paige is out injured anyway so it doesn't affect her too much.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 18 Aug 2016, 18:00

Poor Del Rio has just been spinning the wheels since he lost the US title, at this rate it's hard to see him staying much longer.

Shame, cause while I find his character to be non-existent right now, he's good in the ring.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 19 Aug 2016, 01:39

It happens to Del Rio all the time. Bring him in for hype then they put him in lacklustre stories (if at all) and matches.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 21 Aug 2016, 12:47

Yeah, he was super hot after coming back and beating Cena, and then suddenly he was stuck as part of the League of Nations (which was always weaker than the sum of its parts) and lost all momentum.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 22 Aug 2016, 07:07

Rumors going 'round that there are a large number of suspensions on the way. Also, a couple injuries.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 22 Aug 2016, 17:12

Well after NXT and Summerslam that's easy to see on the injury front. Poor Samoa Joe.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 22 Aug 2016, 18:56

Actually, Joe seems to be OK. This is more Finn and Sasha, with rumors of others.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Aug 2016, 08:22

Dislocated jaw isn't something I'd be okay with.
It seems those two are confirmed.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 27 Aug 2016, 08:28

Mentioned this elsewhere, but if the Buckle Bomb really is going the way of the Curb Stomp, maybe they could give him the Vertebreaker instead.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 27 Aug 2016, 11:35

The Buckle bomb is his signature move, so Rollins needs a quick (snap) move to suit his character. Pedigree doesn't suit him as a finisher either.
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 27 Aug 2016, 15:30

#MakeDDTsGreatAgain
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 28 Aug 2016, 03:49

Remember: the Atomic Drop was once a finisher.
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 04 Sep 2016, 14:05

Man, all these years later and I still feel a bit squeamish about the Vertebreaker. One thing I'll say that I've liked since Rollins came back, his pedigree looks better. Before, and I dunno why cause he's generally excellent in the ring, his pedigree just looked awkward when he was delivering it, now it seems much more natural to me.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Sep 2016, 14:08

I loved the reaction in the recent episode of CWC to the Burning Hammer. I had thought that move was banned.

Kendrick after the match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8zrpiEYR54
DennyR

Postby DennyR » 04 Sep 2016, 15:51

Funnily enough, I never thought it was banned cause I remember a guy using it as a finishing move around 2011 or 12, but then he stopped, and the general rumour was he wasn't allowed use it cause it was too close in appearance to Cena's AA (sort of like how nobody was allowed use a superkick while HBK was using it)
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 04 Sep 2016, 16:01

Even though the Burning Hammer is an inverted Death Valley Driver (FU/AA). It worked with Kane using the same moves as the Undertaker, with some variations because of the whole brother aspect. A good enemy is a reflection.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 12 Oct 2016, 18:45

Quick question if anyone knows the answer:

Where can I find WWE press releases and official statements? I'm working on an Arthur Page case study of their transparency in the Roman Reigns wellness policy failure.

Return to “General Discussion”