Year 4: 1 year 52 Movies challenge

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Silverfish
First Video: The Gay Chicken

Year 4: 1 year 52 Movies challenge

Postby Silverfish » 01 Jan 2016, 14:46

I realised that last year I didn't see many films, so I've decided to challenge myself to see at least 52 movies this year, and review them here. If you have suggestions, or your own reviews, or whatever please join in. I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I was thinking back to King Kool's similar challenges from a few years back.
Last edited by Silverfish on 05 Jan 2019, 16:41, edited 3 times in total.
Silverfish

Re: 1 year 52 Movies challenge

Postby Silverfish » 01 Jan 2016, 17:22

1: Paul (2011)

I enjoyed this to an extent, but it had issues. It felt like a few different films mashed together that don't quite fit. The core is about Nick Frost and Simon Pegg as a science fiction writer and illustrator on a road trip to Comic Con, and UFO sites. Their relationship works well together, perhaps because it feels real, and they wrote the film, so it just feels like 2 friends messing about with each other. The humour is probably the strength of the film.

The plot really starts when they meet Paul, an Alien who is basically the standard Rosswell alien (in the context of the movie he is where the idea came from. He is a fairly interesting character too, although my favourite is probably Ruth, a religious fundamentalist, who gets to see there is more to the world than she imagined, and having someone straight-laced cut loose and swear and go a bit too far is fun. Also Simon Pegg and Ruth have a fun romantic subplot, and they work well together.

The bit that I think doesnt work is the government chasing after Paul. The movie seems to want them to be a real threat but mostly they are comic-relief, and so when movie starts to become a bit more of an action movie towards the end it doesn't really work and just falls flat, especially as there are only three guys chasing Paul for most of the movie.

The film is also a tribute to ET and Close Encounters, which might have had more of an effect on me if I'd seen either of them. I must add them to my watchlist.

Something else that seemed a bit odd is that the film seems to be in love with the look of America, with beautiful views of the scenery, but most of the actual people seem to be just idiots, or rednecks, or fundamentalists.

Overall, I really liked most of the comedy, with Nick Forst and Simon Pegg reacting to the bizarre situation, and some good slapstick gags with Paul, and Ruth is a fun character, but the rest of the movie doesn't really work. I think they need an Edgar Wright to direct, someone who can really mesh genres together well.

Incidentally, Simon's character is Graeme, so we have Graeme and Paul.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 Jan 2016, 08:24

I did 150 in the theater in 2015.

I don't recommend it. It's way too much work, and it's almost all the wide releases in a single year.

I think going once every week would be a fine challenge, or even just watching something you rented. That's basically what I did for Toast Reviews for a while. You'll see a lot of movies and still have time to do other things.

I believe in you, Silverfish! You can do eeet.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 02 Jan 2016, 09:03

If it's a one of week type deal, you could pick longer series (Harry Potter, Star wars, etc.), pick a director and watch all their films, or alternate garbage/fluff movies with classics/difficult watches. I tried alternating classic literature with easy reads which got me through several classical works I'd put off like Paradise Lost and Dantes Inferno.

P.S. King Kool. Good on you, but 150 movies in theaters is crazy town! So expensive!
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 02 Jan 2016, 09:20

Thanks for the support. Most of the films will be either rented, online streaming (I have Amazon Prime currently), or stuff I own but haven't seen yet, as I've picked up quite a few films in charity shops for cheap and never watched them. My rule is they have to be ones I haven't seen before.

I think Paul was just listed on Amazon Prime, and I like Nick Frost and Simon Pegg.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 02 Jan 2016, 11:50

2: The Falling (2015)

I really like this film, but It's hard to describe.

In terms of plot the central thrust is about a mysterious serious of faintings at an English girls' school in 1969, and what caused it. Is it teenage rebellion, mass hysteria, someone sort of mental imbalance. It's left unresolved, and the plot touches on themes such as teenage sexuality, rebellion vs conformity, madness and reality, among others.

My general feeling with the film though, is just that it felt really well crafted, with every element seemingly like it serves some purpose, from the visual, the music, each word and gesture. On the other hand its quite enigmatic, with a lot of things not spelled out and ambiguous, which I found very intriguing. It will probably stay with me a while, and I might come back to it when I've had time to fully digest it.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 19 Jan 2016, 13:49

I've had a bit of a hiatus from movie watching, as I've had a cold> It's not been serious, but I've been feeling and sniffly rather blocked up and not really in the mood to get into movies. I'm not fully better yet, but I'm feeling better than I was.

3: Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

The plot is simple. The Bride (Uma Thurman) is on a mission of revenge against her former colleagues, the members of an assassination squad and their boss, Bill, who attacker her and left her in a coma on her wedding day.

I really enjoyed it, although it is flawed. Where It works is the action, which is well directed and choreographed, and has weight behind it. You get a sense for most of it that the fighters are improvising and trying to outwit their opponents, and the fights are paced in an interesting way, so there are breaks in the action for the opponents to size each other up.

I think Uma Thurman is a big part of why the movie works. She plays her part with conviction, so it helps ground the action, and makes it feel like a genuine struggle. Most of the parts that don't work are the bits without her, when the violence goes too over-the-top, and thus have no impact. One bit that illustrates this is a short anime sequence giving the back-story Lucy Liu's character, which has no impact for this reason, and then cuts back to Uma Thurman (now out of her coma) willing her toes to move, which has much more impact.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 06 Feb 2016, 16:55

4: Minions (2015)

The plot is basically that The Minions (pre Despicable Me) are in search of an evil villain to serve, and discover the main candidate is Scarlet Overkill, who wants them to steal the Crown so she can be Princess, or something.

To be honest I didn't really scare about the plot itself, I just enjoyed the Minions messing about and getting into trouble. I enjoyed the movie a lot, it was a lot of fun, but almost entirely because of the Minions themselves, it seems like whenever the human characters turned up they got in the way of the Minions being funny, or were the foils to the Minions. I did like them as characters too, which I didn't with the human characters.

In a way it seems a bit like what you get when you adapt a TV series to a film, you have to have a big plot to justify it lasting 90 minutes. In this case, it seems the Minions would be very well suited to being a series of shorts a la Looney Tunes.

On the other hand, perhaps it just needs better human characters. I liked Gru, and I think most of the cast of the Despicable Me movies. My favourite of the series is probably DM2 which compared to DM1 concentrated on the slapstick humour and wackiness, both with the Minions and the human cast. I don't think I enjoyed this quite as much as DM2, but it's close, and they are both very funny.
Darkflame
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Darkflame » 06 Feb 2016, 19:41

Oww...still gotta see that one, thanks for reminding me.
DMs best joke was how he hid the pyramid. 1 second of screen time and I am still laughing over it.

Anyway, your certainly doing a nice mix.
http://www.fanficmaker.com <-- Tells some truly terrible tales.
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
TStodden
First Video: Checkpoint #067: Final Fantasy Apology
Location: Siouxland Empire, USA, Earth, Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby TStodden » 09 Feb 2016, 18:09

If you're thinking about going to the movies on a constant basis, you might want to check out MoviePass ( https://www.moviepass.com/ ) to help keep expenses down. It's roughly $30 / mo (or about 3 shows, based on average ticket prices) for unlimited shows. All you need is your member's card (which you'll receive in 5-7 days, but the membership doesn't officially start until you receive it) & a smartphone for booking your ticket.

The only subscription limitation is one movie / day, but only only need to go to 3-4 times a month to justify the subscription.
~TStodden
(Going Text based as Photobucket is being a jerk)
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 11 Feb 2016, 16:02

Thanks Tstodden. The Moviepass seems to be a US thing, and I'm in the UK, so it wouldn't work. If I do decide to go to the cinema regularly, I'll look out for something similar. At the moment I mainly watch movies at home. Most of these have been available to stream on Amazon Prime.

5: Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015)

Shaun and his sheepy pals decide to have a holiday, and end up on an adventure in the Big City.

I enjoyed it a lot. Like Minions the main characters don't talk, but even the human characters aren't really understandable. There's similarly a lot of sillyness, but some of the gags seem a bit cleverer than Minions. The action sequences aren't quite as breakneck as some of those in Minions, or some of the Wallace and Gromit shorts, but that might be deliberate, as it seems to be aimed at a young audience. Also, I did care more about the plot than in Minions, and at time it's quite poignant.

Perhaps the reason I cared more about the plot is most of it involve characters we care about, whereas in Minions I didn't really care about the business with Scarlett Overkill and the crown, probably because the Minions themselves didn't.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 18 Feb 2016, 15:27

6: Chloe (2009)

Katherine (Julianne Moore) suspects her husband (Liam Neeson) of having an affair, so arranges for a prostitute (Chloe - Amanda Seyfield) to test his faithfulness. Ultimately she ends up becoming obsessed with Chloe and what she is asking her to do.

I went into this knowing very little about it. I thought it would be more of a conventional thriller, but I've looked and it seems to be described as an erotic thriller, which seems apt. It is genuinely erotic, but I think the thriller aspect ends up letting it down.

Some of the thrillery ideas are intriguing, the ideas of obsession, the psychological aspects of what makes someone want an affair, the enigmatic relationship between Katherine and Chloe, but the very ending just seemed silly, as though it had to have a standard thriller ending. I think it is probably on better footing with the relationships between the characters.

All the actors put in very good performances. It took a little bit at the beginning to get used to Liam Neeson not being in action hero mode, but that was a minor issue.

One thing is that it is made clear that Chloe is skilled in making into the ideal woman for each man, with each gesture, each word, etc. This makes it intruding as her actions as ambiguous, but in the end it's not very satisfying to be unclear how much of her behaviour is an act. Her story seems rather silly in retrospect, especially the ending. The relationship between husband and wife, and her side of the relationship between her and Chloe seems more satisfying and real.

Overall I think this was intriguing and interested to watch, and had some interesting observations about relationships, although I don't know if it will bear thinking about much further, or repeated watching.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 18 Feb 2016, 15:27

6: Chloe (2009)

Katherine (Julianne Moore) suspects her husband (Liam Neeson) of having an affair, so arranges for a prostitute (Chloe - Amanda Seyfield) to test his faithfulness. Ultimately she ends up becoming obsessed with Chloe and what she is asking her to do.

I went into this knowing very little about it. I thought it would be more of a conventional thriller, but I've looked and it seems to be described as an erotic thriller, which seems apt. It is genuinely erotic, but I think the thriller aspect ends up letting it down.

Some of the thrillery ideas are intriguing, the ideas of obsession, the psychological aspects of what makes someone want an affair, the enigmatic relationship between Katherine and Chloe, but the very ending just seemed silly, as though it had to have a standard thriller ending. I think it is probably on better footing with the relationships between the characters.

All the actors put in very good performances. It took a little bit at the beginning to get used to Liam Neeson not being in action hero mode, but that was a minor issue.

One thing is that it is made clear that Chloe is skilled in making into the ideal woman for each man, with each gesture, each word, etc. This makes it intruding as her actions as ambiguous, but in the end it's not very satisfying to be unclear how much of her behaviour is an act. Her story seems rather silly in retrospect, especially the ending. The relationship between husband and wife, and her side of the relationship between her and Chloe seems more satisfying and real.

Overall I think this was intriguing and interested to watch, and had some interesting observations about relationships, although I don't know if it will bear thinking about much further, or repeated watching.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 22 Mar 2016, 14:35

7: Gravity (2013)

Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Lieutenant Matt Kowalski (George Clooney) are astronauts on an apparently routine space mission, but end up stranded when their shuttle is hit by debris from a satellite hit by a missile, and have to find a way back to earth.

I really like this. You get a real sense of disorientation, not only from the visuals, where it isn't clear at times which way is "down", but also the story-telling, as we know very little about what is happening or why. We are told there has been a missile strike on a satellite, but not why, and for much of the movie they are out of contact with ground control. It's a similar technique to Children of Men, also by Alfonso Cuarón, where we only know what is going on from the perspective of Theo Faron (Clive Owen), and here we only see things from Dr Stone's perspective.

The cinematography is beautiful, both in moments of chaos, where everything is spinning around and out of control, and moments of tranquillity, where we see beautiful views of space, and of the earth. The sound design is also good, particularly the creative way the idea of space being silent is used, as at one point the soundtrack is silent inside a shuttle until oxygen levels are restored.

The acting is very good too, giving dramatic weight to the situation, but with a nice element of humour mixed in.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Mar 2016, 16:25

Gravity is a beautiful movie but I found it horribly contrived. I suppose that is the hazard of being an astrophysicist.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 22 Mar 2016, 16:43

What? you mean we don't have a series of spacestations all within (space)walking distance of eachother? ;)
--
Last update; Mice,Plumbers,Animatronics and Airbenders. We also have the socials; Facebook & G+. Give us a like if you can, it all helps.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 23 Mar 2016, 13:32

Lord Chrusher wrote:Gravity is a beautiful movie but I found it horribly contrived. I suppose that is the hazard of being an astrophysicist.

Agreed. My dad hated it for all its scientific and plot flaws (of which there are MANY)- I loved it for the sheer cinematic spectacle.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Mar 2016, 14:28

I really liked "The Core" even though it was a scientific nightmare. At least it knew it was a scientific nightmare and had fun with it by not taking itself seriously.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 23 Mar 2016, 18:16

I don't know enough about the science to see anything obviously wrong with Gravity, and I just got involved in the drama, the spectacle and the sense of being there, in an unfriendly and unfamiliar environment. In retrospect it was fairly contrived, but I'm willing to forgive a film for that if it tells a compelling story.

8: Before I Go to Sleep (2014).

Nicole Kidman is Christine, a woman with Amnesia, so she can't form new memories, but forget everything that happens when she wakes up each morning. She receives a phone call from Dr. Nasch, who tells her that she has been recording a video diary, we flashback 2 weeks, and it gradually emerges that there are things her husband is keeping from her.

Overall, it's an intriguing "who can you trust" thriller, and well acted. Once you know the secret behind what has happened it all seems to fit together, but it doesn't seem particularly memorable. One seeming flaw is that we flashback 2 weeks at one point, but it isn't really clear when the narrative reaches that point again, although there are signs that it is going to be important. It also seems she can gradually remember some things again, but it isn't really explained why.

These are nitpicks really. It's a good film, and definitely worth my time, although not the most memorable one. It does have a good twist, but it's not the sort (such as in "The Others", say, or "The Prestige"), that makes you think back and look for the clues, and re-examine everything that has happened in the light of it.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 Mar 2016, 07:27

I'm kind of doing something similar. This is what I have done since January 1st.

Thor
Thor Dark World
Captain America
Captain America Winter Soldier
The Avengers Assemble
Age of Ultron
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society
The Last Castle
13 Assassins (2010)
Screamers
Escape from New York
Escape from Los Angeles
Running Man
Azumi
The Battle of River Plate
Halo the Fall of Reach (Which the title lies because it misses half the book the actual Fall of Reach).

Westworld or Seven Samurai (Original) is next.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 08 Apr 2016, 16:15

9: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Peter Quill is a thief who gets his hands on an Orb that it turns out a lot of people want for their own ends who end up on his tail, some of whom become unlikely allies.

I like this a lot. It's a nice mix of action, comedy, drama, and fantasy. Everyone has their own agenda, which makes for a nicely chaotic plot, but they aren't one dimensional, and I cared about what happened to them. In particular our hero is apparently only out for money, but ends up having to put his life at risk to save others, with a band of misfits.

I might comment further in the morning, but overall I'm glad that Marvel are confident enough to let a bunch of different styles and tones of film co-exist in the same universe.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 19 Apr 2016, 16:06

10: The Imposter (2012)

This is a documentary film about the real case of a 23 year old French man who pretends to be a 16/17 year old boy who went missing 3 years earlier.

With this film, I knew very little about the case or the film, and in fact I assumed it was a faux-documentary, until I read about it afterwards. Part of that is because of the way it is constructed, as you follow the narrative with its twists and turns, not knowing where things are going, and the use of music and dramatic re-enactments seems very cinematic.

I should say, it didn't seem implausible, or rather the parts that seemed implausible still seem barely believable when you know they are true, which is mainly that a family would believe that a stranger was their missing son. The implications of that make you question how easy it might be to deceive someone, or yourself.

In any case, this is a very compelling film, and it allows you to be taken on blind alleys, and be taken on a journey by the various people who give their account of what happened. In particular, Frédéric Bourdin, the imposter of the title, who is very convincing, but we know he is a convincing liar.

I think this will at least leave me thinking about it and pondering what I've seen, even if I don't rewatch it. If I do re-watch it, it will probably be after I've had time to digest it.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 20 Apr 2016, 15:17

11: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Gustave H (concierge of the Grand Budapest Hotel) and lobby boy Zero Moustafa, end up on the run after "stealing" a painting left to Gustave in the will of an elderly lady he was the lover of. There is more to it than that, but its sort of a farce, so the precise details of it are too complicated to describe.

All in all, I found this funny in places, but it seemed to be aimed at someone other than me. It's well put together, but I'm not sure what the effect was supposed to be. It seemed that a lot of it was supposed to be artificial, drawing attention to the use of artificial backgrounds, fixed cameras on dollies, unusual cinema ratios, and other effects which I assume are meant to evoke the feel of an old movie.

However, I didn't get involved in the actual story and characters. It was nice to look at, but the way it was constructed (both the filming, and the stories within stories, and the way it is acted in a very arch and mannered way) seemed to be deliberately alienating.

Perhaps Wes Anderson is not for me, or perhaps his work needs to grow on me. I would contrast this with the work of Quentin Tarantino, whose work is stylised, but of the films I've liked (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill Vol 1) allowed the actors to be more naturalistic and the characters were what drew me into the films. This didn't.

That seemed to be the issue quite a few people have with Wes Anderson, and other filmmakers with a very particular style: It can seem to be aimed directly at you and just click, or it falls flat. Some people probably feel the same way about Bryan Fuller, or Joss Whedon, say, while I find they really work for me.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 03 May 2016, 16:24

12: Inside Out (2015)

Riley is a young girl who is homesick and has trouble dealing with moving to a new area away from her old friends. Inside her head Joy and Sadness find themselves lost and have to find their way back, leaving Anger, Disgust and Fear in control.

This is a really good and well observed story about the way emotion effects the way we perceive the world, our memories, and how we act. The internal story works well as a metaphor for real life behaviour. It's very impressive that they make just about every part of the journey of the emotions through Riley's mind have a natural consequence in the real world.

Both the real world and the internal world are well designed, as you would expect from Pixar or Disney. If I have a complaint, it's the pacing is a bit forced, as when it seems like Joy and Sadness are about to get back they come across another obstacle. That's a minor issue though, as each area of the internal world is distinct and well realised.

Overall it's a blend of comedy and poignant drama, in a story about the need for different emotions. I'm reminded a bit of Toy Story (the idea of leaving behind childhood things), which is probably my favourite Pixar film, although Up and Monsters Inc are up there too. There are quite a few I haven't seen though.
Darkflame

Postby Darkflame » 04 May 2016, 03:30

"Overall it's a blend of comedy and poignant drama, in a story about the need for different emotions."

InsideOut is a good example of a children's film teaching a rather complex (or at least uncommon) message. When have you ever heard a film teaching the importance of sadness? That being always happy isn't necessarily always a good thing.

InsideOut gets a fair bit of praise - as it deserves - but I feel its still unappreciated as to the core theme.
--

Return to “General Discussion”