Visiting Vancouver

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
CarterJWallace
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Visiting Vancouver

Postby CarterJWallace » 04 Mar 2017, 19:17

I will be visiting Vancouver in April for the League of Legends Spring Finals. I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for the best place for food (sushi, burritos), and any other things that are a must see. I will only be there for a few days so a day trip somewhere may not quite work out. I am hopefully going to take a day to see Victoria and another day to go to up to the parks.
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Re: Visiting Vancouver

Postby bv310 » 05 Mar 2017, 13:23

I was just there two weeks back for the Magic Grand Prix. Depending on what you're in to, I can give my tiny experience. My friend and I both like craft beers and breweries, so we went to a few really cool places. Alibi Room over in Gastown, and Hearthstone Brewpub both had amazing quality stuff. We also drove up to Squamish one day to go see the Howe Sound Brewery and try all their stuff. Squamish is super pretty.

Also, whenever you get a sunny-ish day, go hike through Stanley Park. Really pretty place with an excellent set of biking trails.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 05 Mar 2017, 20:28

If you're looking to go to Victoria for just a day, I would recommend taking Harbor Air - they fly from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria and back. It does cost around $250 CDN or more round trip but I feel that's probably worth it - you'll pay about half that if you're taking a car across on the ferry (not accounting for gas), and you're looking at a 30 minute flight versus a ~45 minute drive, then a 1.5 hour ferry trip, then another ~45 minute drive (and if you're using public transit, it can be as much as 2 hours either side of the ferry).

As far as food in Vancouver goes, I don't have many suggestions, due to visiting there only about once a year - with the exception of La Casa Gelato, an ice cream place whose claim to fame is having at least 238 of their nearly 600 flavors of ice cream available on site every day. It was pretty busy even late at night when I visited, and Google Maps tells me there's a park just a block away, so it might be worth visiting on your park day.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 06 Mar 2017, 09:56

Vancouver is a wonderful city for sushi. In terms of restaurants and bars, beside downtown and the areas adjacent, there are a lot of good places on Main (especially around Main and Broadway) and on Commercial Drive. In these areas you will also find most of Vancouver's microbreweries.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 06 Mar 2017, 13:14

When I was in Vancouver, we wandered round Gastown for food most nights, and that served us well enough.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
CarterJWallace
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby CarterJWallace » 09 Mar 2017, 05:45

The league of legends event will be at the Pacific Coliseum so we'll be staying near there so it sounds like we'll be doing a bit of travelling when it's time to head out for food.

I believe that we picked Miku as our place to splurge on west coast sushi and then I was hoping to find a good BBQ or steakhouse.

That ice cream place sounds great and we did want to add in some nature walks so visiting Stanley Park would be nice.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 09 Mar 2017, 18:23

I have no idea how they rank (I'm a pescatarian) but The Keg is a chain of steakhouses in Canada that was founded in Vancouver.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
bv310
First Video: EVERYTHING IS FINE

Postby bv310 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:08

Miku was recommended for us, but we ended up at Tsuki, which was phenomenal (and fairly reasonably priced). I also had Itoga highly recommended.

If you're in to mid-range steak and similar, Cactus Club had some amazing stuff, and a sweet harbour view.

Return to “General Discussion”