Green Noon download copy-protection error question...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 11 Mar 2008, 01:40

Oh damn. 0.o I really shoulda gotten around to doing this shouldn't I when I intended to? Well, now I have no time on my hands for editing anything other than what I currently do...which is usually a weekly video, sometimes more spasmodically. Just got my camera back from lending it to someone for a couple of weeks, should be good to get some more vids up soon.

Oh well, congrats on doing something I never got around to. ^.^ I blame it on my lazyness and Grahams "Yeah sure, what format would you like it in?" *I answer and no follow up what-so-ever* :P

Hrm, on second thought I believe I'll certainly make time again for my editing I had in mind for this. Holidays for me in two weeks, I'll certainly have the time and effort then. :) Thank you Wraith for uploading fully editable versions.

Also, I decided that I like macs; if I had the money I'd buy one. But I don't, so I won't. :P I used to be a bit of a Windows junkie, but seeing the disaster that is Vista...yeah...not so much anymore.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
theINC

Postby theINC » 11 Mar 2008, 02:13

Unlucky wrote:Also, I decided that I like macs; if I had the money I'd buy one. But I don't, so I won't. :P I used to be a bit of a Windows junkie, but seeing the disaster that is Vista...yeah...not so much anymore.

I'm a Mac user, and I like Vista just fine.
Mind you, I am still using Tiger.

Then again, an upgrade to Leopard is much cheaper than an upgrade to Ultimate...
Woland owes me 10 points.
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 11 Mar 2008, 02:32

Really? I've heard Vistas ultimate flaw is it's massive incompatability issues, personally I myself have not used Vista yet. I've also heard Service pack 1 fixed A LOT of the outstanding problems, also a lot of the incompatibility issues. I'm going to buy a new computer in a month or so, and I'm going to give running Vista 64x a try. I will be most intrigued in seeing if it runs without too many faults.

Why am I so prejudice against it so far? Because everyone I know who uses it has complained about one thing or another...all though lately their opinions of it have been improving, especially with the SP1 coming out for it. I myself can't wait for service pack 3, despite XP being officially dropped on June\July the 31st. It means I don't have to bother with downloading all the updates again should I have to reimage or reformat my HDs with XP.

Perhaps I should give Linux or Ubuntu a crack? I've seen Ubuntu, and it really does look quite excellent, despite not being able to play most games. I wonder if you can edit video in it. (Yeah, I know Macs are superior for that....but an emulator's not the same.)
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 11 Mar 2008, 04:57

Graham wrote:
Wraith wrote:Personally, I'm hoping that with the popularity of Youtube, MyspaceTV etc., more players and editors will include built-in support for FLV files.

Quicktime does :D

The issue is that Microsoft didn't make the SDK for WMV9 public for the longest time, and didn't update Media Player beyond v9. Meaning no Mac developers could use the codec because MS wouldn't let them know how.

But it's all sorted now.

I can't wait to see what you come up with, King Kool.

Awesome. So I can use it to watch FLV files...unless I click on any other window, in which case it disappears, unlike any decent player, where you can at least surf the web while it plays in the corner.

I like VLC or Media Player Classic for video, and Windows Media Player for music (because the two previously mentioned "lite" players don't have media library functions).
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Mar 2008, 05:02

Unlucky wrote:Oh damn. 0.o I really shoulda gotten around to doing this shouldn't I when I intended to? Well, now I have no time on my hands for editing anything other than what I currently do...which is usually a weekly video, sometimes more spasmodically. Just got my camera back from lending it to someone for a couple of weeks, should be good to get some more vids up soon.

Oh well, congrats on doing something I never got around to. ^.^ I blame it on my lazyness and Grahams "Yeah sure, what format would you like it in?" *I answer and no follow up what-so-ever* :P

Hrm, on second thought I believe I'll certainly make time again for my editing I had in mind for this. Holidays for me in two weeks, I'll certainly have the time and effort then. :) Thank you Wraith for uploading fully editable versions.

Also, I decided that I like macs; if I had the money I'd buy one. But I don't, so I won't. :P I used to be a bit of a Windows junkie, but seeing the disaster that is Vista...yeah...not so much anymore.

I say this with absolute honesty: aside from the admittedly annoying large file copy bug (which supposedly is fixed in the soon to be release SP1), and compatibility issued with the 64 Bit versions (which hold just as true for the 64 bit versions of XP), I have had nothing but good experiences with Vista. I really think that it's gotten a bad rap, based largely on people making assumptions about it long before it was released, based on previous releases, and then the fans flamed by people who never really gave it a chance but "heard everyone say it sucked."
-Wraith
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Mar 2008, 05:16

Unlucky wrote:Really? I've heard Vistas ultimate flaw is it's massive incompatability issues,

Vista has no more compatibility issues then XP did when it was released. In fact, most of the problems people list about Vista were the exact same issues they encountered when the shift was made from 98/ME to XP. I really don't understand what the hell happened with software companies and compatibility. It came out, and the software makers were like "yea, we didn't get around to making a compatible version yet. Hey, it's new, give us time!" Nevermind the fact that betas had been around for a year and a half, and release candidates had been around for well over six months when it was finally released. Most of the software that didn't work with it before works with it now.

Unlucky wrote:I've also heard Service pack 1 fixed A LOT of the outstanding problems, also a lot of the incompatibility issues. I'm going to buy a new computer in a month or so, and I'm going to give running Vista 64x a try. I will be most intrigued in seeing if it runs without too many faults.

I should warn you right now, you're going to see a lot more compatibility issues with the 64bit version of Vista than the 32. A LOT of vendors have not hopped aboard that ship yet, which is a real shame, because 64 bit is clearly the future, and has a lot of potential, but is never gonna get off the ground without software support.

Unlucky wrote:Why am I so prejudice against it so far? Because everyone I know who uses it has complained about one thing or another...all though lately their opinions of it have been improving, especially with the SP1 coming out for it.

Which is why most people are prejudiced against it. They've spent little or no time using it, they don't know a whole lot about it, and they don't know why so many people hate it, but "that computer guy they know" says it sucks, and that's good enough for them. Chances are that computer guy says it sucks because "that Cnet guy he reads" says it sucks, and "that Cnet guy he reads" says it sucks because he's "that Cnet guy" and probably not qualified to review a ham sandwich.
-Wraith
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 Mar 2008, 06:30

Yay! MPEG4 Worked! Yaaaay!

I guess I really gotta do it now. Suddenly there's all sorts of pressures. Eep.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Mar 2008, 11:52

Yay for King Kool; glad to see he gets help from those In The Know™ :)

As for Vista, it's the next iteration of Windoze™ - meh. I had compatability issues going from 3.11 to 95, etc etc etc. - Wraith's right on the money there. I got Vista Pistachio ;) with my new compy, and because I already had an XP professional disc on hand (as well as the wife's compy for emergency d/l burning of other drivers etc) for 'downgrading', I said what the hey and gave Vista a try.

First Reaction: Not bad. Some cute effects with Aero, and the first batch of games I plopped on that pristeen new hard drive worked fine and fairly quick, especially considering the onboard vidi-chip.

Then I tried a hard-core flight sim.

Wow. Some nasty glitches and full-on lockups requiring the ol' reset button (keyboard input killed so 'the Three Finger Salute' wouldn't eve work! :) )

I checked around the devs' sites and forums and learned that the game really did NOT play very nicely with Vista at all (or vice versa).

It was then that I learned of the bloat that is Aero¹, and fired up the Services list.... :shock:

Sweet creamery butter; look at all this GUFF!!!

One bull-through-a-china-shop slash n' burn run through that later, and I got the sim runing smooth as the nVidia 6150 SE chip would allow, and have a clean, lean & mean processing machine; it's not as 'glossy' as it may have been before, but it's quick and nimble and really gonna kick booty once I get a proper vidi card into it (tax refund, here I come)

Basically, it's ♫Meet the new boss/Same as the old boss♫ - I love how people who called me up when I was working ISP Tech Support were complaining about this 'new interloper'² called XP was infringing on their beloved 98 and ME et al. are now defending that O/S with the 'intrusion' of Vista. :roll:

footnotes:
1. Hmmm - I wonder if the M$ devs that claim the name of their default theme is an acronym for "Authentic, Energetic, Reflective and Open" really were modelling it after the Commonweath candy bar of the same name - pretty, bubbly, enjoyable, yet also taking up far more space than one would imagine Image
2. One pompus caller used that term and I thought it was so funny that I never forgot it.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 11 Mar 2008, 12:48

Look up "Aliens Vs. Predator" and "Windows XP" on Google. Again, same thing with the compatibility issues.

As for Aero's bloat, to be honest, I'm a little glad, and I'll tell you why: I believe it's going to force an improvement in PC standards. The typical integrated Intel graphics chips are horrible, and I've long felt that they've held back potential growth of hardware. With Aero requiring some decent Video capabilities, and some video-dedicated RAM to run well, either Intel are going to have to start improving their crappy integrated video, or manufacturers are going to have to stop relying so heavily on integrated video. It's already worked for RAM. The standard went from 512MB to 1GB in a matter of weeks.

Remember, when XP was released, the typical system had 64MB, 128 was considered really good, and half the machines out there didn't even have 3D acceleration. I remember working on clients machines (I only did it on a volunteer basis for church members at that time), and the client asking machine why their machine didn't work right anymore, and they were running integrated video with no acceleration and 128MBs of RAM. As soon as they put Antivirus on there, they were hosed.
-Wraith
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Mar 2008, 19:08

Unlucky wrote:Also, I decided that I like macs; if I had the money I'd buy one. But I don't, so I won't. :P I used to be a bit of a Windows junkie, but seeing the disaster that is Vista...yeah...not so much anymore.

I find Vista to be very good, but then again, my laptop came with it preinstalled and all the problems that I hear about involve XP-to-Vista upgrading.

My mom has a rule that she follows: don't upgrade until Service Pack 2. As a former software tech for a school district, she knows what she is talking about. As for January, Vista Service Pack 2 was in beta testing, so expect Vista to be less buggy by June or July.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 Mar 2008, 20:12

Well, after a crazy marathon session today, I am close to done with my idea. It's only a little more than two minutes long, and probably not that funny. The only reason I stopped working is because my brother had to go to sleep. I haven't gone that long since my first film class.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it when I'm done. Maybe Youtube... never done that before. Most of what I make is probably not suitable for consumption over the Internet.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 11 Mar 2008, 20:13

When your done I want to see
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 12 Mar 2008, 02:21

tak197 wrote:

I find Vista to be very good, but then again, my laptop came with it preinstalled and all the problems that I hear about involve XP-to-Vista upgrading.

My mom has a rule that she follows: don't upgrade until Service Pack 2. As a former software tech for a school district, she knows what she is talking about. As for January, Vista Service Pack 2 was in beta testing, so expect Vista to be less buggy by June or July.

1. I never recommend doing an actual OS upgrade. I wipe my computer and reload it from scratch on an annual basis whether it needs it or not, like an oil change, but when you're changing OS's, it's pretty much a given that if at all possible, wiping and doing a clean install is best.

2. Vista Service Pack 2 is not even in the design phase yet. Service pack ONE is due very soon, though; and the "wait for the service pack" thing has really been silly, IMO. A lot of people's problem with Vista boil down to "well, this is how things went with the launch of XP, so that's probably how it will go with Vista", despite the fact that that was six years ago.
-Wraith
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 12 Mar 2008, 12:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-u953Jc1os

Here we are. It's a little darker than I thought it would be. Weird.

I hope you guys like it.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 12 Mar 2008, 13:18

Kind Kool, that was fantastic. Only one thing. Sometimes the text wasn't up long enough to read. Otherwise, that was very cool.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 12 Mar 2008, 13:52

That was sweet! We may need to get a higher quality version from you so that we can include it on the DVD.
Wraith

Postby Wraith » 12 Mar 2008, 13:56

Wow, that was fantastic. With all due respect to the LRR crew, that was as good as the original. Plus, I'm in the credits, weee!
-Wraith
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Mar 2008, 14:35

I will happily provide you with higher-res source footage if you can do a higher-res cut for us. That's awesome!

Seriously, SO GOOD.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Mar 2008, 14:53

Well, after watching the video, I have this to say about it:

Great job on it; I think it's magnificent. And as I backed-and-filled over on YouTube, it's not necessarily better or worse than "High Noon"; just excellent in a different way. :)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 12 Mar 2008, 15:35

:oops:

Wow. I didn't think it'd be so well-recieved. I just thought it was decent.

I'm very much willing to give a higher res version, especially if it means helping out the greenscreen effects a bit. (in fact, since I've never published anything on the web before, I've never had to make something web-edible.)
AeroCmdr
Requires Additional Pylons

Postby AeroCmdr » 12 Mar 2008, 15:39

That was great!
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 12 Mar 2008, 17:30

That was great. Good Job!

Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 12 Mar 2008, 19:05

I'm contemplating the higher-quality version. There's a few different approaches I could take.

- I can just save it with a different codec and it'll look as good as it currently could.

- If there's a high-res version of "Green Noon" in MPEG4 format (the default filetype for the site seem to be MOV) that I can rename to the same filename I have on my Mac, then the sequence would match up to the better-quality footage. (the two would have to be identical, though)

- If this doesn't work, I'm willing to re-edit the video from scratch again in the interest of improving of also the greenscreen in some scenes, though I can't guarantee I can do it with the same haste. I wouldn't need any raw footage other than Green Noon, though (that was part of the challenge of this).
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 12 Mar 2008, 19:37

King Kool wrote:- If there's a high-res version of "Green Noon" in MPEG4 format

I will get you one.
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 12 Mar 2008, 19:43

That was very impressive. It has a coherent storyline and seemingly-appropriate character acting, too!

Any chance that this video could get more recognition on the site than this thread alone? A frontpage link might be suitable. Some people don't read the forums.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!

Return to “General Discussion”