Happy Birthday, Matt!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 14 Mar 2008, 19:51

Happy what-- Happy Who--?
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 14 Mar 2008, 22:51

Matt wrote:having never read ender's game I can be neither happy nor sad about it.

This is a travesty. Ender's Game is literally the greatest work of science fiction I have ever read. Heck, I think I'd even rank it above Lord of the Rings on my Favourite Books list.

It's not a super long novel. Do yourself a favour and find the time to read it. It's amazing.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 15 Mar 2008, 06:55

proudfoot wrote:
Matt wrote:having never read ender's game I can be neither happy nor sad about it.

This is a travesty. Ender's Game is literally the greatest work of science fiction I have ever read. Heck, I think I'd even rank it above Lord of the Rings on my Favourite Books list.

It's not a super long novel. Do yourself a favour and find the time to read it. It's amazing.

I've tried to read it, several times, and the first few chapters are so off-putting, I can't get past them. One of these days I'm just going to start the damn thing 40 pages in.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 17 Mar 2008, 03:29

AlexanderDitto wrote:I've tried to read it, several times, and the first few chapters are so off-putting, I can't get past them. One of these days I'm just going to start the damn thing 40 pages in.

pls do not skip any. i know the beginning is a little slow. bear with it. you miss huge character points if you skip it.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 17 Mar 2008, 04:43

Morgan wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:I've tried to read it, several times, and the first few chapters are so off-putting, I can't get past them. One of these days I'm just going to start the damn thing 40 pages in.

pls do not skip any. i know the beginning is a little slow. bear with it. you miss huge character points if you skip it.

Well, I've read the first few chapters a few times now... I know what happens in them, but after I read them, I just can't read any more. I'll try picking up where I left off last time.

JUST FOR YOU, MORGAN. Just for you.
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 17 Mar 2008, 12:03

i'd be shocked if you didn't love it. just try not to think about how much orson scott card hates the gays.

emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 17 Mar 2008, 12:21

Morgan is very right on this one. Ender's Game is a seriously awesome book.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 17 Mar 2008, 12:37

I never got into Ender's Game. Got well over halfway through it and still didn't like it, so I dropped it. :(

I couldn't stand Lord of the Rings just because it was so slow and boring.

And I have only seen the original Star Wars trilogy (though, I hear that's a good thing).

People think I'm a horrible geek.
I can't think of a signature.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 17 Mar 2008, 20:16

shit dude, I'M a better geek than you.

Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 17 Mar 2008, 22:16

CyberTractor wrote:I never got into Ender's Game. Got well over halfway through it and still didn't like it, so I dropped it. :(

I couldn't stand Lord of the Rings just because it was so slow and boring.

And I have only seen the original Star Wars trilogy (though, I hear that's a good thing).

People think I'm a horrible geek.

Yep. You'll never be a real nerd. Sorry.

Now begone!

:twisted:

LotR is pretty slow in some places. I love all the history lessons and digressions and stuff though, personally. Moby Dick is kind of similar with all the digressions, which is one of the reasons I loved it so much.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 18 Mar 2008, 04:13

Go read Les Misérables. Trust me, you'll love it. Most of the novel is digression upon the extensive history and backstory behind incidental scenes.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!

Return to “General Discussion”