And Now for Books!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Woland

And Now for Books!

Postby Woland » 03 Apr 2008, 13:01

We've got movie and music going, how about some printed media?

Right now I'm uber obsessing over The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Any recent translation is good. In a similar vein check out Jack Kerouac's Doctor Sax. I won't tell you why they're connected, but if you do a little research you can find out (or I could just send you my fifty page thesis on the topic and you can go right to sleep!)

AS for fun things, I really like the Coyote series by Allen M Steele.

And if you're into vintage Prostitutes with a decidedly modernist bent, check out The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

Just some random stuff to get the ball rolling.
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 03 Apr 2008, 13:05

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. A good read on its own, but really only worth reading if you have read the classics (mostly the English ones - Brontes, Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare, etc.). There are a bunch more in the series after that (I am reading the fifth and most recent right now, and there are two books in a similar series), but the Eyre Affair blows them all away - except maybe for Something Rotten, the delightfully titled fourth book in the series.

I got nothing else right now.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 03 Apr 2008, 13:20

The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez is one I really enjoyed. A combination hardboiled detective novel and dystopian transhumanist work, it centers around a seven-foot walking death machine named Mack Megaton who turned on his creators - he'd rather drive a cab than enslave humanity, you see. Reasonably fluffy, and a bit funnier than most of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is a very good fantasy novel from a first-time author. It's quite well-written, and really had me once the main character described the rules of chemistry: "Measure twice, label clearly, eat elsewhere."

Blue Moon Rising by Simon R. Green was quite good for about the first half - it was a half-serious fantasy book (where the dragon is saved from the princess) with a good tongue-in-cheek wit that dissolved into a very dark and not-as-tight second half. It certainly isn't bad, and serves as a prequel for the Hawk and Fisher series, which I'm told is good.

And of course, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is generally high-quality, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, as mentioned above are good, and you have to mention Neil Gaiman's Sandman series of graphic novels.
Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 03 Apr 2008, 13:24

Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck by Hans von Luck is one of the best books I've read. It delves into WWII from the perspective of a German fighting for Germany but not Hitler. It's quite fascinating. Anyone can enjoy this, but I recommend having an open mind about it while reading.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is a dystopia about what the world would be like if all books were illegal. It's fascinating and thought provoking, not to mention well written.

And if you want some light reading with some action, I'd recommend The Golden Buddha by Clive Cussler. Very entertaining.

Note to emma: If you feel like jumping all over me for this one, let me remind you that I'm allowed my own opinion. XD
Successfully lurking since 1709.
zombine
Location: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Postby zombine » 03 Apr 2008, 13:26

Jennifer government is an awesome book about capitalism, corporations, and really really pointy door handles.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 03 Apr 2008, 14:16

East Van by Chris Walter
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
AndyTheSkanker

Postby AndyTheSkanker » 03 Apr 2008, 14:27

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller.
Kick her in the taco, paco
Non Sequiteur Champagne!
Pattmyn

Postby Pattmyn » 03 Apr 2008, 16:04

A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke. Witty humor, very light hearted read, and all around funny.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 03 Apr 2008, 16:34

1984: mandatory reading for anyone who wishes to claim they dont suck.

Snow Crash: Pre-apocalyptic Cyberpunk goodness. Ties in alot of biblical history-sounding stuff.
Was origionally supposed to be a graphic novel, so theres wicked cool details in it =D
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 03 Apr 2008, 17:40

I'm also reading I Am America, And So Can You by Stephen Colbert.

It's really, seriously funny. And soooo true.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 03 Apr 2008, 17:53

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff - Christopher Moore
I Am America... - Stephen colbert
Without You - Anthony Rapp
Skin - Ted Dekker
Nothing's Sacred - Lewis Black
When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? - George Carlin
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 03 Apr 2008, 18:00

Stranger in a Strange Land - A really good book, the ideas are pretty profound. Not really NEW ideas, at least not now, but really good.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 03 Apr 2008, 18:01

I just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi and right now I'm reading When Sys-Admins ruled the earth, by Cory Doctorow, both are highly entertaining sci-fi reads and the best thing is that I got them for free :3
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 03 Apr 2008, 18:03

World War Z : Max Brooks
Zombie Survival Guide: Max Brooks

Their just good zombie books
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 03 Apr 2008, 18:28

kkief02 wrote: Zombie Survival Guide: Max Brooks

Every time I enter a building since reading that book, I subconsciously check the exits and windows for zombie safety. Can zombies get in? Can I survive while they surround me? Can I escape if necessary?

My apartment right now provides pretty good protection against zombies - only one entrance, and its on the third floor, but the door is pretty weak. There is also no alternate escape. I would probably not hide here, in the event of a zombie uprising.

kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 03 Apr 2008, 18:29

My house would be crap for a zombie uprising, i say i'd be dead within the hour of one.

Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 03 Apr 2008, 18:35

I could live for a while, if I had the supplies, and if I still had running water and stuff. If they made it into the hallway of my building, though, I'd be kind of screwed.

I NEED TO STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS IT IS GOING TO GIVE ME NIGHTMARES

Nomadic
First Video: Serious Cravings

Postby Nomadic » 03 Apr 2008, 18:39

I'd be screwed for a Zombie uprising...except for the fact that I've got concrete around me and some solid metal to hold them off...plus some food...I'd probably last for about a week and a half before hunger and thirst set in and then eventually I'd die.
Successfully lurking since 1709.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 03 Apr 2008, 18:40

Dead Rising was my Zombie survival guide, every time i go into a mall i identify areas i can get up on where zombies cant reach me, or climbable displays i can use to get into the roof and move freely.
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
mmeh36

Postby mmeh36 » 03 Apr 2008, 18:44

The zombies could finish me off no problem but I still would have read-
On the Beach by Nevil Shute
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
Slaughterhouse Five and Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
None of which will fend off zombies but are very good reads.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 03 Apr 2008, 19:28

Yay books!

emma wrote:The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. A good read on its own, but really only worth reading if you have read the classics (mostly the English ones - Brontes, Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare, etc.). There are a bunch more in the series after that (I am reading the fifth and most recent right now, and there are two books in a similar series), but the Eyre Affair blows them all away - except maybe for Something Rotten, the delightfully titled fourth book in the series.

I got nothing else right now.

I agree. I find it's going the way of the "Dune" series for me. The books get more complicated and confusing the further down the line you go.

Currently reading "Tommy" by Richard Holmes and my free book from LibraryThing, "The Arthurian Omen" by GG Vandagriff. Unfortunately it's poorly written.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 03 Apr 2008, 20:21

TOM CLANCY'S _______
i dont know what's happening anymore
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 03 Apr 2008, 20:25

I must second Name of the Wind. It is a great book, and possibly my favourite in the genre. Ender's Game also gets seconded as a really good Sci-fi book.

Scott Sigler is good if you're looking for harder science in your fiction, and he just released Infected a couple days ago (though usually I just catch his podcasts).

My token dystopian recommendation is jPod.

Also, I need to recommend God is not Great, since I just got back from watching the author debate his brother. It jeers at religion more than it probably needs to, but it is still an entertaining read.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 04 Apr 2008, 09:00

kkief02 wrote:World War Z : Max Brooks
Zombie Survival Guide: Max Brooks

Their just good zombie books

Oh fuck YES!

Those are amazingly awesome :3

If you have the chance, check the audiobook for World War Z, it will give you the creeps!

Also, I think that if I have enough supplies, I could totally survive for a few months, then I'd go crazy and kill myself :3
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 04 Apr 2008, 12:45

kkief02 wrote:World War Z : Max Brooks

I can't remember his name but by far the man that interested me the most in this book was the one who so attached to his computer and spreading information on the web that he was totally blocked out from the outside world. Then one day the internet is gone and he is at a disadvantage. He faces the world and to his surprise. There's a war going on.

Of course most of the stories in this book are pretty awesome. I highly recommend it for those who just like stories of people---That involve ghouls
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot

Return to “General Discussion”