NIN - The Slip

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

NIN - The Slip

Postby Allen! » 07 May 2008, 10:23

If you don't download and listen to this, I am breaking up with all of you:

www.nin.com

Go forth. Trent Reznor gives you free music. It's good, and you will like it, and if you don't, I hate you.

4evrar.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
SecondChild

Postby SecondChild » 07 May 2008, 10:30

Yes, it is quite good. I enjoyed Ghosts, but I'm glad to hear Trent singing again.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 07 May 2008, 10:48

Its funny. I just download the Album, turned it on and then came to the boards to see this post. CREEPY!

Also it is pretty good. And free. So really its great!

MUSIC INDUSTRY, LEARN FROM TRENT!
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 07 May 2008, 11:25

You've changed, Allen!. You're distant, emotionally unavailable. You don't remember my birthday or the dress I wore on our first date. Sometimes I think you love the new NIN album more than you love me.

I... I want a divorce!
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 07 May 2008, 12:27

Allen! Why are you so late with this? This post should have gone up DAYS ago. Noob. Pay attention to NIN.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 07 May 2008, 18:21

Um. The album was released two days ago, and the amount of traffic on the NIN site didn't really encourage me to share it with everybody else.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 07 May 2008, 18:28

Seriously, is this one of those "donate what you think it's worth" deals?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 07 May 2008, 18:46

No? It's free.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 07 May 2008, 18:49

Why would someone release free music?
'"
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 07 May 2008, 18:51

because they luffels us
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 07 May 2008, 19:02

Allen! wrote:Um. The album was released two days ago, and the amount of traffic on the NIN site didn't really encourage me to share it with everybody else.

Same thing happened with ghosts. I was having such a hard time downloading it for the first few days.

-^_^-
Hawkaris
First Video: 1337

Postby Hawkaris » 07 May 2008, 19:06

I don't think I've ever actively chosen to listen to NIN's music before. I think I'll use this opportunity to give their music a shot.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 07 May 2008, 20:23

Hawkaris wrote:I don't think I've ever actively chosen to listen to NIN's music before. I think I'll use this opportunity to give their music a shot.

No! you are not allowed to listen to it. this album is a thank you for loyal fans.

-^_^-
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 07 May 2008, 21:08

eh, they arent so great.
i dont know what's happening anymore
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 07 May 2008, 21:15

Finally got through to the site, couldn't get to it before. Downloaded. Listenin.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2008, 22:30

People, people, people.

There are thousands and thousands of independent artists out there who provide their music for free online. There are countless internet radio stations devoted to non-label music. Tere are tons of band myspace pages brimming with fabulous music and show information. There's a simmering underworld of intensely skilled musicians all fighting the good fight, creating, sharing, and not being heard.

And somehow NIN is something special? I mean, I honestly don't see what's so great about this album of theirs. It's not a new concept. Countless artists have done and continue to do the same thing and release free albums. That's been happening for years.

The ONLY aspect of this which is at all striking is that NIN is a big name band. But what does that have to do with it? If anything, it's worse that NIN is big name band, because of the simple fact that they didn't have the guts to do this from the start. They spent years making a whole lot of money, and only now after they've become established, and started to realize just how much they're the pawns of the record industry they sold themselves to, do they say anything against it.

It just strikes me as kind of strange that this is so lauded. It's like serving in the military for ten years and becoming a war hero, then getting a lot of press coverage for turning around and adopting pacifism. There are countless other people who've been pacifists from the get go, and who get blatantly ignored, and now someone who has worked hand in hand with the forces they claim to suddenly be against is getting attention? Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

~Alja~
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 07 May 2008, 22:37

Some free indy bands are good. Some are terrible. NIN is free of record label. They've lived the American dream of selling out. You can't blame them for that. The fact that NIN is a big name band makes it more important, because it affects more people. Have Fun Dying is pretty good, and they release all their albums for free, but the don't have the attention that NIN does, so it does mean as much to as many people.
forkbomb!
Location: Cedar Hill and Cedar Hill: the Nexus of the Universe.

Postby forkbomb! » 08 May 2008, 02:07

Alja-Markir wrote:... they didn't have the guts to do this from the start. They spent years making a whole lot of money, and only now after they've become established, and started to realize just how much they're the pawns of the record industry they sold themselves to, do they say anything against it.

Um, no.

Firstly, it's important to note that NIN is one guy, Trent Reznor. Second, it's important to realize that NIN has been around since the 80's. So... if by "didn't have the guts to do this from the start" you mean "releasing albums for free on the internet", there is a VERY good reason he hasn't been doing that since the start. But he has a long, long history of not cow-towing to his labels' wishes. His first label, TVT records, only wanted him to record pop music, so he had to use his own money to record an industrial album (Broken) in secret, in the process knowingly violating his contract. The gamble worked for him: he won a Grammy for the record and managed to cut ties with his oppressive label. He moved to Interscope records, but again refused to produce radio singles for them; instead he set up his own sub label under the condition that he had complete control over his music. You call him a 'pawn of the record industry he sold himself to', but seeing as he's the kind of guy who takes 5 years off to record a sprawling double album, ignoring all his label's objections, I doubt he ever sold himself out to anyone.

Then the internet came along, and he adapted to it. He could not leave Interscope in the middle of his contract, but he found ways to release music freely on the internet (in the form of multitrack sessions for remixers, or intensionally leaking music--and even a full live DVD--without his label's permission) since the very beginning. At live shows he encouraged fans to steal his music if the local record stores were overcharging (and he got in a fair bit of trouble for saying that, too). Very simply, he has been the single most outspoken artist against the RIAA and the way the music industry has failed to adapt in the 21st century. In October he fulfilled his contract and, instead of joining a new label (*cough* *cough* Radiohead *cough*), has been frequently releasing new Creative Commons-licensed music for free via his website and piratebay torrents. So, no, NIN is not a "pawn of the record industry": since last year NIN has existed almost entirely outside of the music industry.

Alja-Markir wrote:I mean, I honestly don't see what's so great about this album of theirs.

Have you listened to it?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 08 May 2008, 02:33

Forkbomb ftw
SecondChild

Postby SecondChild » 08 May 2008, 04:50

Alja and Lavos - EPIC FAIL.

Your penance is to listen to The Fragile over and over again until you realize that Trent Reznor is a musical genius, and that giving his music away when he could get millions of dollars for it (most Myspace bands, MY OWN INCLUDED, could not claim this) is a very nice thing for him to do.
Kawaiicaps

Postby Kawaiicaps » 08 May 2008, 07:12

SecondChild wrote:Alja and Lavos - EPIC FAIL.

Your penance is to listen to The downward spiral over and over again until you realize that Trent Reznor is a musical genius, and that giving his music away when he could get millions of dollars for it (most Myspace bands, MY OWN INCLUDED, could not claim this) is a very nice thing for him to do.

I thought Trent's music was hollow and just for fun before I heard the downward spiral. I now have 10 albums (including the lullaby album)

Interesting story; Trent is coming to do a show in Winnipeg in July and the radio is giving away tickets. I called the station yesterday and decided to call. I never get in. When we are together and I call my husband always reminds me I should stop trying to win things off the radio because i NEVER am caller 10.
Well I was caller 10 this time.

and I answered the trivia question wrong.
WTF???

-^_^-
Last edited by Kawaiicaps on 08 May 2008, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 08 May 2008, 07:22

Wouldn't it be even nicer for him to sell it for millions of dollars, then donate the money to an effective charity of his choice?
'"
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 08 May 2008, 08:00

Kawaiicaps wrote:...Interesting story; Trent is coming to do a show in Winnipeg in July and the radio is giving away tickets. I called the station yesterday and decided to call. I never get in. When we are together and I call my husband always reminds me I should stop trying to win things off the radio because i NEVER am caller 10.

WTF???

-^_^-

But at least they took your call, I stopped calling for tickets since I found out that they just give the tickets to friends and/or keep them to themselves 8-) Also, I hate pretty much every radio station here ¬¬
SecondChild

Postby SecondChild » 08 May 2008, 08:01

Kawaiicaps wrote:Interesting story; Trent is coming to do a show in Winnipeg in July and the radio is giving away tickets. I called the station yesterday and decided to call. I never get in. When we are together and I call my husband always reminds me I should stop trying to win things off the radio because i NEVER am caller 10.

WTF???

-^_^-

Ouch.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 May 2008, 10:04

SecondChild wrote:giving his music away when he could get millions of dollars for it is a very nice thing for him to do.

That's like saying it's a vice nice thing that the government doesn't discontinue healthcare and social security when they could save billions of dollars by doing so. The fact that they don't isn't a perk, it should be expected. Music is meant to be shared. I'll pay to go see a concert, hell I'll even buy a CD if I like a group well enough, but if I can't hear their music unless I pay 20 bucks for an album? Fuck 'em.

Furthermore, millions of dollars? Him personally? No, sorry. The record company would get most of the money. Artists, even popular ones, only get paid a fraction of what their music earns for their record labels.

And as for forkbomb's argument about the internet, it is entirely moot for the simple fact that underground music has existed since the 60s. There are countless groups who have never, ever relied on the record companies one iota, for even longer than this guy has been making music. Nearly every single genre of electronic music originated from what was originally underground music.

~Alja~

Return to “General Discussion”