LRR PAX Meetup

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

What kind of LRR meetup would you go to?

I'm not going to PAX
69%
A daytime meetup at-or-near PAX itself
6%
An evening meetup on Saturday night at a resteraunt
21%
An evening meetup on Saturday at a bar
4%

Total votes: 52
Jer
LRR Crew

LRR PAX Meetup

Postby Jer » 13 Aug 2008, 14:52

So, Matt, James, Morgan and I are all planning to be at PAX, and I'm even dragging Tally along with me.

We've been considering doing a meetup at some point so that we can chill with you guys, but we need to know what works for you folks.

If we do dinner or go to a bar, we will wrap up before the concert, but may force you to choose between us and some of the Saturday evening panels.

If we do a daytime meetup, we may just find someone who has a booth we can borrow.

The highest result is not guaranteed to happen; I am simply using this to gauge interest.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 13 Aug 2008, 14:55

I'm evenly split between a restaurant and bar on Saturday, to tell the truth.

Yaaay only a couple more weeks yay.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 13 Aug 2008, 14:58

Sable wrote:I'm evenly split between a restaurant and bar on Saturday, to tell the truth.

I think we'll be more-or-less looking at these as the same category so don't worry about splitting the vote; I just wanted to see how many people had a preference.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 13 Aug 2008, 15:19

I'd prefer a restaurant. A little more relaxed, IMO.

Something during the day at a booth would be sweet. An unofficial LRR booth, as it were. 8)
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 13 Aug 2008, 15:24

by bar, I suspect that jer means pub.

that would be my prefrence, but I don't want to rule out the under 21 crowd.

-m

I am not angry at you.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 13 Aug 2008, 15:28

I was considering going when the tickets went up, but my bank balance said "You crazy? Sit back down!"
And so I cannot go, much though it pains me. Perhaps next year.

You know what would be awesome (and not just so I can live vicariously through you)? If someone recorded the LRR PAX experience for posterity, laughes and everybody that can't make it!

Of course, that might just be a huge pain in the ass though, so, you know... If it's not too much trouble :]
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 13 Aug 2008, 15:46

Matt wrote:by bar, I suspect that jer means pub.

-m

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I know there's a lot of under-21 LRRites, but it only seems like two or three of us are actually going to PAX and of those, we're all of age.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 13 Aug 2008, 16:45

If it is at a bar any one under the age of 21 cant come, right?

So restaurant may be better :)
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 13 Aug 2008, 17:14

At this point I'm not sure if I am going to PAX; I don't have tickets, and I don't much fancy telling my parents "Hey! I'm gonna go to the Penny Arcade Expo (a big convention of this online webcomic) to meet up with some guys I know from the internet. BBL!" It would blow their poor old minds just a bit too much. However, I might just tell them I'm going out to dinner with some friends and meet up with you guys at the restaurant, whichever one it ends up being.

So for that, my vote is Restaurant, since I'm under 21 and can't do bars.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
huddlehouseninja

Postby huddlehouseninja » 13 Aug 2008, 18:04

I would give anything to go. You guys plus mc chris plus frontalot plus freezepop. I would explode!!!
I have a vagina, and it is sans teeth.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 13 Aug 2008, 19:37

Sable wrote:
Matt wrote:by bar, I suspect that jer means pub.

-m

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I know there's a lot of under-21 LRRites, but it only seems like two or three of us are actually going to PAX and of those, we're all of age.

Im going.. Im 19. Legal in Canada not in the US. But i have heard rumors of places where it is 18 to party and 21 to drink. One of these places may be a possibility.
mmeh36

Postby mmeh36 » 13 Aug 2008, 19:58

If you guys could pull off getting a booth for a while that would be wicked cool. I don't know how hard that would be to do though so having a plan for a restaurant would be good. I'd love to come but I'm not 21 and most places don't let underage people in, especially on busy nights.
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 13 Aug 2008, 20:08

There's no way I can go, but have lots of fun and take lots of pictures!
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 13 Aug 2008, 20:21

wilson_x1999 wrote:There's no way I can go, but have lots of fun and take lots of pictures!

Fuck yes, there will be pictures. TONS of them.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 13 Aug 2008, 20:28

If I knew about tickets and shit, I would come.
i dont know what's happening anymore
bigfatn00b

Postby bigfatn00b » 13 Aug 2008, 20:30

Food is always good, but keep in mind that all of the restaurants right next to the convention center will be SUPER packed and a little pricey. An earlier dinner or a daytime/lunch meetup might involve less waiting around for tables and food and such.
What, how can I sign on a computer? The ink just stays in one place on the screen!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 13 Aug 2008, 20:34

I know many places in town for food, let me know what we're looking for; but some of them are more than walking distance from PAX. So depends if people can just drive to PAX after getting dinner, or if you're relying on bus.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
bigfatn00b

Postby bigfatn00b » 13 Aug 2008, 20:52

also, for anyone really wanting to go to a bar/pub, you should check out the PAX pubcrawl.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=48597
What, how can I sign on a computer? The ink just stays in one place on the screen!
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 13 Aug 2008, 22:55

Tank_girl wrote:But i have heard rumors of places where it is 18 to party and 21 to drink. One of these places may be a possibility.

Any Seattle locals know anything about this?
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 14 Aug 2008, 00:36

Matt wrote:that would be my prefrence, but I don't want to rule out the under 21 crowd.

... and here I was expecting Morgan to come on in and say that. Kudos for beating him to it, even though you mean it differently :)

Also, it sucks that I won't be at PAX. It's the sort of thing any gamer should go to, so going global with it would be good... Patience is a virtue.
empath

Postby empath » 14 Aug 2008, 03:15

Spartan, I know JUST how you feel; take heart that there's going to be something akin to 'PAX East' before long - I remember Gabe making a newspost about this over at PA a week back or so.

Nonetheless, I'd love nothing more than to meet up with y'all at such an event, so I'm really bummed that I'm far too broke to pull off a transcontinental trip this year. :(

I voted "not going", but if I were to not only go, but have some choice on the manner of meeting, I'd probably lean toward the more informal atmosphere of a bar/pub/etc. rather than a restaurant, even though I myself don't drink. But the factor of the folks here < 21 would mean if I were actually organizing the meet myself, I'd use some location not so restrictive for age...
spartanhelmet

Postby spartanhelmet » 14 Aug 2008, 03:36

empath wrote:Spartan, I know JUST how you feel; take heart that there's going to be something akin to 'PAX East' before long - I remember Gabe making a newspost about this over at PA a week back or so.

The funny thing is, a PAX in Australia will be made and become the most awesome convention ever.... only after I leave the country. Seems whenever I'm around a city, not much happens... but as soon as I'm not :)

So look out for PAX Oz, the original PAX being cancelled and me being nearby. You have permission to pelt me with rocks if I'm right :| *gulp*

... just send me on a plane back to Aus, and it'll all revert so I miss out.

Also, this is the closest Perth has ever gotten to an expo. The first year, the organisers called it a failure... and this year it was half as big. I would have never gone if I didn't get a Press Pass for the first one.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 14 Aug 2008, 08:15

What about Dick's? It's on the Pub Crawl route, and comes highly recommended via Graham.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 14 Aug 2008, 09:01

Yes, we all know Graham likes Dick's . . . Dick's can even serve the minors in our audience, which is a plus.

Kell's is also supposed to be quite nice, and looks like the kind of place the crew likes to frequent. They look to at least have a restaurant section . . .
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Aug 2008, 09:33

Graham does like Dicks.

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “General Discussion”