Lego Ready Run

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tank_girl

Lego Ready Run

Postby Tank_girl » 26 Feb 2009, 14:15

Graham. Paul.... You guys need these.

Yes those are Lego mini fig business cards.

http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2009/02/l ... ess-c.html
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 26 Feb 2009, 14:23

Paul, at the very least.

Say, here's something that has bothered me for a while. LEGO minifigs always seem to come with their hands turned the way they are in this picture, but I, for one, always rotate them at the wrist. I was never told to do this (I don't think), but it makes more sense to me that way. When a person's arms are relaxed, the thumb is visible from the front, so shouldn't the minifig's hand be larger on its 'front' side?
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. It's never been clear to me why the arms arrive that way.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 26 Feb 2009, 14:27

so when they want to hold things they are holding it the right way.

things like flowers or a sword or a cup
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Feb 2009, 14:48

Minifig's hands are not, generally, oriented as they are in the picture when packaged. If I'm understanding you correctly. The flat edge faces up, and the curved edge, down.

Man, how much are those? That'll make people remember you. I'd put magnets in the body and include them with every resume. That's good self-marketing.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 26 Feb 2009, 14:51

I've always wondered that too. Also, why do some people refer to Lego as Legos? It's a brand, not a plural name. You don't call your Nike gym kit Nikies or your computer (as it's made of lots of interchangeable little bits) your computers. Nor anyhting else that I currently cannot think of to provide as an example... >:[

[edit:] Yeah, those things are pretty awesome, by the way. It'd be sweet if you could have personalised ones made for yourself, but the asrticle makes out it's just for Lego employees.
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 26 Feb 2009, 15:24

The Jester wrote:Also, why do some people refer to Lego as Legos? It's a brand, not a plural name. You don't call your Nike gym kit Nikies or your computer (as it's made of lots of interchangeable little bits) your computers. Nor anyhting else that I currently cannot think of to provide as an example... >:[

But you might call your pair of Nike shoes your Nikies. It makes more sense to me to call a collection of Lego pieces Legos. I've never heard of referring to Lego itself as Legos though. I guess you might call it Lego's but even that is a stretch.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Feb 2009, 15:35

Officially, from the makers of Lego themselves, the plural of "Lego" is "Lego"

-m

I am not angry at you.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 26 Feb 2009, 15:43

Hustle needs to be done in Lego! I demand it naw! Who want to join me in making Hustle lego espisodes? :p
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 26 Feb 2009, 18:01

Matt wrote:Officially, from the makers of Lego themselves, the plural of "Lego" is "Lego"

-m

It's also "May-lay" but i will still say Me-lee until the day i day.

LEGOS FOREVER
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 26 Feb 2009, 18:06

Red Charlie wrote:Hustle needs to be done in Lego! I demand it naw! Who want to join me in making Hustle lego espisodes? :p

Oh man, a Lego stop-motion animation version of a cHustle episode would be both the greatest and hardest thing ever.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 26 Feb 2009, 18:41

RytelCSF wrote:
Red Charlie wrote:Hustle needs to be done in Lego! I demand it naw! Who want to join me in making Hustle lego espisodes? :p

Oh man, a Lego stop-motion animation version of a cHustle episode would be both the greatest and hardest thing ever.

QFT
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 26 Feb 2009, 18:47

Tank_girl wrote:
RytelCSF wrote:

QFT

Or just a Lego stop-motion animation of the titles for a cHustle episode?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Feb 2009, 18:58

If you don't find what you want available in stores you can always modify existing LEGO figures. Observe:

Matt wrote:Officially, from the makers of Lego themselves, the plural of "Lego" is "Lego"

-m

I believe they also prefer to display it as "LEGO ®."

I've always called them LEGOs. It certainly sounds better than "LEGO brand building blocks." Some words are weird in how they are to be pluralized: deer, moose, fish, etc. I'll be learning this silly language until the day I die.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 26 Feb 2009, 23:30

Evil Jim wrote:I've always called them LEGOs. It certainly sounds better than "LEGO brand building blocks."
Ah, but that's not really the comparison, is it?
Here's another pet peeve of mine: People who say "Mare-i-o" instead of "Mahr-i-o". It's an Italian name, people, Not something Nintendo just made up. There's an established, correct pronunciation rooted in a language spoken by over a hundred million people.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 26 Feb 2009, 23:38

Evil Jim wrote:I've always called them LEGOs. It certainly sounds better than "LEGO brand building blocks."
Dominic Appleguard wrote:Ah, but that's not really the comparison, is it?

I just threw that one in there because it sounds silly & there are some companies that seriously prefer to identify their product that way so there is absolutely no brand confusion.
Dominic Appleguard wrote:Here's another pet peeve of mine: People who say "Mare-i-o" instead of "Mahr-i-o". It's an Italian name, people, Not something Nintendo just made up. There's an established, correct pronunciation rooted in a language spoken by over a hundred million people.

Because Nintendo really makes sure that Mario is a proper representation of the ethnicity. :P Seriously tho', I stopped playing new Mario games once he began talking. I just can't get past the utterly horrible voice & accent.

They even ruined the GBA re-releases for me! I was all excited to be able to play the first few SMB NES & SNES games on a portable but they went in added freaking character voices. Horrible. Just horrible. [/rant]
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
ExtraSensory
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby ExtraSensory » 27 Feb 2009, 01:15

If it's any consolation, my manager met the man who does the voice of Mario at a manager's conference last year. The guy did a live voice over while someone was playing Mario Galaxy, he said the guy was hilarious.

Charles Martinet is the name of the guy.

Wait, how did this topic come to discuss Mario's voice again?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 27 Feb 2009, 03:45

Vaughn wrote:

-m

It's also "May-lay" but i will still say Me-lee until the day i day.

Yes, but you're just WRONG. :P

I met some people who pronounce the 'c' in scimitar and scythe; it's weird, but I didn't have the heart to correct them.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 27 Feb 2009, 04:59

empath wrote:I met some people who pronounce the 'c' in scimitar and scythe; it's weird, but I didn't have the heart to correct them.

That drives me crazy "skimatar".
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Evil Jim

It's time to party like it's post 1999!!

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Feb 2009, 06:37

It looks like only LEGO employees get the LEGO people business cards but we can still get M&Ms with the LRR logo on them.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 27 Feb 2009, 07:23

:shock:

Wow. Fuckin' A. I would buy and eat them. Awesome.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 27 Feb 2009, 07:26

Unfortunately, if I read the articles right, it's just the employees for LEGO that get the minifig business cards.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 27 Feb 2009, 07:36

I call them Lego blocks. I agree that "Legos" sounds dumb. "Lego" is a non-quantifiable noun, like "bread." You don't say you have "two breads" on the counter, you say you have "two slices of bread" or "two loaves of bread." In the same way, you should say, "I have two pieces of Lego," or "two Lego sets."
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Feb 2009, 07:46

Lego bricks, not blocks.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 27 Feb 2009, 08:55

metcarfre wrote:Lego bricks, not blocks.

[defensive]Semantics![/defensive]

Fair enough. I usually say "pieces" or whatever, myself. I don't actually talk about Lego all that much, tbh.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Re: It's time to party like it's post 1999!!

Postby Tensen01 » 27 Feb 2009, 11:31

Evil Jim wrote:It looks like only LEGO employees get the LEGO people business cards but we can still get M&Ms with the LRR logo on them.

Those are cool but I'd rather have LRR branded DICE!!

Return to “General Discussion”