XBox Live's Anti-Lesbian Ban Hammer

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tank_girl

XBox Live's Anti-Lesbian Ban Hammer

Postby Tank_girl » 28 Feb 2009, 14:04

Here is an interesting artical. Please discuss your OPINIONS. Lets not let this get out of hand.

Teresa says that she was harassed by other players and later suspended from XBOX Live because she identified herself as a lesbian in her profile. When she appealed to Microsoft, she says they told her that other gamers found her sexual orientation "offensive."

Teresa says:

I just recently saw a thing on your site about someones gamer tag being banned because it had the word gay in the tag.

I had a similar incident, only my account was suspended because I had said in my profile that I was a lesbian. I was harassed by several players, 'chased' to different maps/games to get away from their harassment. They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap.

As if xbox live is really appropriate for kids anyways! My account was suspended and xbox live did nothing to solve this, but instead said others found it offensive.

Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a assclown. I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gay slurs right.

Microsoft does nothing to stop this or prevent it, but instead sides with the homophobes. No one will help me get the word out about Microsoft's anti-gay policy. Not even the HRC who says Microsoft has a positive image with them. Not to me it doesn't!

We've heard of gamers being suspended for identifying themselves as gay in their GamerTag, and even one case of a guy whose name was actually "Richard Gaywood" but his tag was suspended anyway because apparently the word "gay" is so offensive that it doesn't matter if its actually your name.

As far as we know, Microsoft is unwilling to reconsider this position.

http://consumerist.com/5160187/identify ... -xbox-live
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Feb 2009, 14:05

There is a thread about this in the gaming forum.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 28 Feb 2009, 14:06

I'll just c/p my comment from the thread in the gaming forum on this exact incident:

In a perfect world, nobody would be raising a fuss over this because nobody would give a shit about your sexual orientation.

Companies wouldn't have to ban you for saying you're a lesbian because nobody gives a shit enough to be offended.

And you wouldn't have the urge to call blatant and inappropriate attention to your orientation as a lesbian because you wouldn't give enough of a shit to shove that sort of thing in people's faces.

A man can dream.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 28 Feb 2009, 14:13

Oh sorry about the double post. I dont read the gaming forum.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 28 Feb 2009, 17:15

Please see: Xbox live adminstration - Homophobes?

But be aware that we have already discussed this topic to i's logical conclusion, and there's likely little more value to be added.

-m

I am not angry at you.

Return to “General Discussion”