Advance Watchmen Screening in Vic

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2009, 12:51

see, I'm an audio/videophile, so I would rather see things in the best possible quality available. if that means driving to tillicum and dealing with a crowd and a less intimate cineplex experience, so be it. once the lights go down and the show starts, you forget what theatre you're in anyhow.

That said, I have crowd avoidance down to a goddamned art form at SC.

I *HATE* busy nights at the odeon, because they refuse to fucking open more than 2 concession lines. Most of the time all I want is a large coke, and the half hour line ups are retarded.

At Silver city the main concession is usually packed, but you can waltz up to the pizza hut stand and get a large coke in seconds.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 04 Mar 2009, 12:51

Matt wrote:
Tank_girl wrote:Im kidding Matt. I dont think I can go to the midnight show as the boyfriend is playing at Hush that night till 12:30. I think we are going to go on Sunday night.

I'm not going to the midnight screening anyhow, but my passenger seat is actually available this wweekend.

-m

Thanks, But Emmett sat down night before last and read the entirety of Watchmen in one sitting. If i went to see it with out him he would have my head. I think our plan for Sunday is go down town and rent scooters for the day and then go see the movie at night. <3
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2009, 12:58

Matt wrote:see, I'm an audio/videophile, so I would rather see things in the best possible quality available. if that means driving to tillicum and dealing with a crowd and a less intimate cineplex experience, so be it. once the lights go down and the show starts, you forget what theatre you're in anyhow.

That said, I have crowd avoidance down to a goddamned art form at SC.

I *HATE* busy nights at the odeon, because they refuse to fucking open more than 2 concession lines. Most of the time all I want is a large coke, and the half hour line ups are retarded.

At Silver city the main concession is usually packed, but you can waltz up to the pizza hut stand and get a large coke in seconds.

-m

Ah, but there is a convenience store next to the Odeon... and they never check.

Eh, maybe I'll see it at SC if there's no IMAX. Depends on where my friends are going and whether I'm in town this weekend.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2009, 13:02

I prefer fountain drinks to bottled, so I always hit the concession, even at the odeon.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 04 Mar 2009, 13:31

Is this movie really all that special, five different people have asked me to go see it with them, I just told them I wasn't really interested in it and nearly been beaten up every time.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2009, 13:32

Joshua wrote:Is this movie really all that special, five different people have asked me to go see it with them, I just told them I wasn't really interested in it and nearly been beaten up every time.

I'll tell you after I see it.

Also, don't rabble-rouse.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 04 Mar 2009, 13:35

rabble-rouse?
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2009, 13:36

Joshua wrote:Is this movie really all that special, five different people have asked me to go see it with them, I just told them I wasn't really interested in it and nearly been beaten up every time.

You're talkig about a film based on what is considered to be the single greatest comic book of all time, which people have been waiting for for over a decade.

Whether or not it ends up being good (though everything I'm hearing points to good) it is unquestionably one of the most important comic book movies ever put to film.

so yeah. it's that special.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 04 Mar 2009, 13:39

Matt wrote:

You're talkig about a film based on what is considered to be the single greatest comic book of all time, which people have been waiting for for over a decade.

Whether or not it ends up being good (though everything I'm hearing points to good) it is unquestionably one of the most important comic book movies ever put to film.

so yeah. it's that special.

-m

Ahhh, I see, I had never heard of the watchmen before so I thought it was recent or something, I guess my friends are more versed in comic books than I.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2009, 14:01

Joshua wrote:rabble-rouse?

Rabble-rousing.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 04 Mar 2009, 14:16

metcarfre wrote:
Joshua wrote:rabble-rouse?

Rabble-rousing.

I was not trying to do that, I am sorry if I upset you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2009, 14:22

Hey, no worries, you didn't bug me. It just came off like you were trolling so people would come in and be like "WTF watchmen is tha best movi evar lol u suck". Again, text isn't the best for parsing tone and meaning.

I get it if you haven't heard of it; I'm not a comic book guy and never read the novel until last summer. If you have a friend who has it, read it, it's really quite good. It changed my opinion on comics and what they can achieve.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 04 Mar 2009, 14:29

Hmm, alright, I think my friend who works at the theater has it, she can also get me in for free so maybe I'll go see the movie, perhaps I should read it first though.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2009, 14:33

I've heard both.

Some Reviewer wrote:Read it, so you know what you're getting into before you go to the movie and watch a thoroughly grim, 3 hour long arthouse piece with superhroes in it and why it's not like anything you've seen before.

Some Other Reviewer wrote:Don't read it, so that it's not spoiled for you by what's not in it.

Take your pick.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Joshua

Postby Joshua » 04 Mar 2009, 14:46

Both of those options sound.....well grim.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2009, 14:48

bear in mind that the movie (like the graphic novel) is supposed to be incredibly dark and grim, and that the comic is loved by millions of neds who will nitpick about the things left out.

By most accounts the film is amazing.

The only people who seem not to like it, are those that don't understand it's a commentary on the comic-book superhoro, and is intentionally portraying them as unlikable and flawed.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2009, 15:01

incidentally, the thing I find hilarious is the inconsistency of the negative reviews; they range from:

They stayed way too close to the source material and it doesn't work.

They changed too much from the source material and it doesn't work.

They didn't change that much from the source material, but because so much is so close the changes stand out and don't work.

This movie will be loved by fanboys, but everyone else will be bored by it.

This movie will be hated by fanboys, but people who haven't read the GN might like it's take on superherodom.

The good reviews ar pretty consistent, but the negatives are all over the place. Nobody could agree on why they thought it was bad.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 04 Mar 2009, 15:08

Do read the graphic novel. Its so well written that i often forgot to look at the art. (which is also awesome)

But i suggest not reading the ending before going to see the movie.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2009, 15:08

That's pretty similar to what I was discussing with a friend. He wondered why it was around 70% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, and I posited that it was because a) there is a certain component of film critics that will dislike it because it is 'a comic book movie' regardless of source, and b) there is a component that will dislike it because it 'is unlike other comic book movies'.

I will watch it and decide for myself.

At this point, I'd say watch it with no further knowledge going into it if you can.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 04 Mar 2009, 23:20

Me want see sooooo badly! I'm doing a show, but I can hopefully go straight from the show to this.

Thanks for passing it on man.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 05 Mar 2009, 10:55

I'm probably seeing it this evening (A midnight showing? HERE? WHAT THE HELL I WILL GO FOR THE NOVELTY IF NOTHING ELSE), and I've noticed something about the reviews.

It's fairly similar to what Matt said, except that on Metacritic (my favourite aggregator), the extremely negative reviews seem to be the ones that came out first. It's as though there were people who felt they needed to break embargo (I assume there is one, as 90+% of reviews do not come out until the day before release) to say "I hated Watchmen before it was cool to hate it."

That said, Ebert (who I do respect as a film critic and writer) gave the movie four stars and several paragraphs of glowing praise. That's high marks for me, but ultimately whether or not I enjoy it will be fabricated inside my own skull after watching it.

Edit: I have read the graphic novel, and it is a fabulous read. I have never felt satisfied by the comic book ending, so any "new" ending to the film has me very intrigued.
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 05 Mar 2009, 11:06

My last Midnight showing was Indy 4 ... And I can't find any local to me here.

Lucky __________________s
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 05 Mar 2009, 16:10

So the preliminary reviews for this movie were apparently so good, they already put a Watchmen cartoon into production.
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Postby GHOVO » 06 Mar 2009, 00:19

Nevrmore wrote:So the preliminary reviews for this movie were apparently so good, they already put a Watchmen cartoon into production.

Yeah I saw that during my rounds this morning. Strange and Scary. Has anyone seen the 'WHATMEN?!' parody? May pick that up over the weekend.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 06 Mar 2009, 00:28

I'd also recommend digging up the Simpsons episode with Alan Moore in it, just for the bit where Millhouse asks Moore to sign his copy of "Watchmen Babies in: V for Vacation."

And for those wondering if they should read the comic before watching the movie, I think I'd recommend waiting 'til after. My friend who re-read it recently didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did, not having read it in sevenish years.

Return to “General Discussion”