Desert Bus for Hope 2009 craft-along rolls out

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
illuviel
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Desert Bus for Hope 2009 craft-along rolls out

Postby illuviel » 26 Mar 2009, 05:51

http://www.desertbuscraftalong.blogspot.com
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/desert-bus-craft-along

Crafters of whatever materials are welcome to participate. The more the merrier, and the better chance we have of reaching Vegas -- and of having items ready to donate for the main event.

A fuller description of the project is available on the blog.

Speaking of which, I'm also looking for contributors to the blog and maintainers of the Ravelry comm. As well, if anyone's better with graphics than I (that's probably most people) and able to come up with a tracking map so we can plot our fictional progress between Tucson and Las Vegas (yardage of materials used = distance traveled), then people can look at something other than the clunky houseburger graphics I can cobble together.

Hope to see you on the crafting bus.

Desert Bus for Hope craft-along 2009, starting in March. Because it takes a heck of a lot longer to get from Tucson to Las Vegas by knitting needle (or crochet hook, or spindle, or sewing machine, or ~whatever~ craft tool) than by bus ... even one that travels at 45 miles per hour ... and constantly pulls to the right.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 26 Mar 2009, 10:14

Hmm. This might be a good outlet for producing more of the LRR jewelry I conceived of for the Runners. Not sure how beadwork boils down to miles, but why sweat the details?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 Mar 2009, 12:06

Wow, that's awesome.
I-- wow. Neat!
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 26 Mar 2009, 12:49

This is a great idea! Well, not for me since I couldn't knit, crochet, or sew to save my life . . . but, still awesome! I've got some friends that knit, I'm gonna mention this to them.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 26 Mar 2009, 13:28

Hmm, I can do cross stitch, but nothing practical. Would Desert Bus-themed bookmarks or pillows generate any interest? If so I could try that, or something else if people have suggestions.

This is a neat idea and I'll be happy to take part if I can actually do something useful. :roll:
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 26 Mar 2009, 13:36

WOW! This is awesome...

Matt im sorry, just i may just have to make that R2Dtouque and donate it to this cause instead. Hope your cool with that.

Also i have been looking for an excuse to lean macrame and i think this just might be it. Rad!

Im in the middle of a knitting project that im hoping to finish this week and then i will be starting on desert bus like crafts.

Im totally going to make LRR crew Plushies!

Holy crap im so excited!
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 26 Mar 2009, 13:58

Well that just upstaged me by a considerable amount. =P
LRR plushies sound awesome!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Mar 2009, 14:00

Tank_girl wrote:Matt im sorry, just i may just have to make two of those R2Dtouques and donate one to this cause instead. Hope your cool with that.

fixt

-m

I am not angry at you.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 26 Mar 2009, 14:07

HOLY SHIT YES.

Finally, my ability to knit AND crochet gives me the competitive edge! My designs will be LUSTED over by bidders! >:D

This is a brilliant idea. I can participate in Desert Bus in a more direct way!
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 26 Mar 2009, 15:22

Sarah wrote:Hmm, I can do cross stitch, but nothing practical. Would Desert Bus-themed bookmarks or pillows generate any interest? If so I could try that, or something else if people have suggestions.

This is a neat idea and I'll be happy to take part if I can actually do something useful. :roll:

I would totally buy tapestries/framed crosstitch/pillows of the LRR logo with a cool LRR quote under it, or something similar. I'm pretty sure almost every well-made craft will be wanted by someone, especially if it's displayed or put up during the DB live feed.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 26 Mar 2009, 16:06

Yes! Very yes. Only question is, where to start?

OK, here's a god question: to anyone on the forums - what kind of thing would you want to be LRR-related? Ask, and it will be considered.

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Mar 2009, 16:06

Tank_girl wrote:Also i have been looking for an excuse to lean macrame and i think this just might be it. Rad!

Umm...remember what happened the last time macrame was introduced to LRR?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ptitqui

Postby ptitqui » 26 Mar 2009, 19:18

ooooer! I could totally make a scarf with the LRR Logo.
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 26 Mar 2009, 20:01

Telaril wrote:I would totally buy tapestries/framed crosstitch/pillows of the LRR logo with a cool LRR quote under it, or something similar. I'm pretty sure almost every well-made craft will be wanted by someone, especially if it's displayed or put up during the DB live feed.

Yay for good ideas!
One large detailed thing, or several smaller ones? The smaller ones are easier...
Oh! I could probably attempt the Runners logo, as well as the reguLRR one. What quotes would people be interested in seeing? (or do I have to come up with those myself? :?)
I can do something DB-themed as well, obviously...somehow I doubt I'll have a problem finding quotes I could use for that.

Interruptor Jones wrote:OK, here's a god question: to anyone on the forums - what kind of thing would you want to be LRR-related? Ask, and it will be considered.

What kind of crafts are you thinking of doing (knitting, sewing, something that hasn't been mentioned yet...)? With such an open-ended question, I can't think of something off the top of my head.
I would love to see a Gibb plushie, though.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 26 Mar 2009, 20:43

I could do knitting, crochet, sewing, basic metal- and stonework (haha, but of WHAT?), and I know someone who works with leather. I'm just curious whether folks would rather bid on wearables, or decorative items (Oregon Trail cross-stitch, anyone?) or some kind of household object, like a pillow or blanket. I've got some ideas as of now, but if someone has an idea for a thing they'd love to bid on, I'm all ears.

Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 26 Mar 2009, 22:31

This doesnt work if everyone makes stuff. then theres no one to buy it.

Thus, i will take my 0 crafting skills, and buy all of the stuff you guys make =3
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 27 Mar 2009, 05:59

Interruptor Jones wrote:I could do knitting, crochet, sewing, basic metal- and stonework (haha, but of WHAT?), and I know someone who works with leather. I'm just curious whether folks would rather bid on wearables, or decorative items (Oregon Trail cross-stitch, anyone?) or some kind of household object, like a pillow or blanket. I've got some ideas as of now, but if someone has an idea for a thing they'd love to bid on, I'm all ears.

You have quite the range of talents. :shock:
Something metal or stone sounds like it would be awesome, and probably pretty unique...but I have no idea of what.

Vaughn wrote:This doesnt work if everyone makes stuff. then theres no one to buy it.

Thus, i will take my 0 crafting skills, and buy all of the stuff you guys make =3

Brilliant! Such forethought!
But I shall do you one better. I shall make things and buy them. :P
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 27 Mar 2009, 08:08

Master Gunner wrote:
Tank_girl wrote:Also i have been looking for an excuse to lean macrame and i think this just might be it. Rad!

Umm...remember what happened the last time macrame was introduced to LRR?

*shudder*
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 27 Mar 2009, 08:50

I love this idea and I already have some ideas of my own.

My one useful suggestion is to submit any LRR gear designs for Graham and/or Paul's approval before any fan puts serious work into it so the crew doesn't come off as dicks when they have to ask someone not to sell the two dozen Runners necklaces they crafted, because they already have their own designs in the pipeline. I don't think anyone wants to take money out of their pockets.

To rain on the parade further, aren't there copyright and trademark issues here? If I cross-stitch classic NES and SNES character sprites, wouldn't that run afoul of copyright issues? I don't think the companies would really care if one schmuck puts those up on eBay or sells them at gaming conventions, but this is an organized effort and could attract attention.

Heck, even all of the the LoadingReadyRun(ners) logos are im/explicitly trademarked and each project would, legally, have to be approved by the de facto trademark owners (Graham and Paul in this case).
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Mar 2009, 09:14

Somehow I doubt getting G&P's permission will be that difficult, after all:
Graham wrote:Wow, that's awesome.
I-- wow. Neat!

However, I do agree that this should be organized with them, if nothing else to make the selling/distribution easier, and make sure there's no conflicts of ideas.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 27 Mar 2009, 09:31

I think I can safely say that, especially since this stuff is being made to sell for Desert Bus, we have no problem with you using the LRR logo, Desert Bus logo, Runners logo or any other LRR-related images.

This falls under the little known "We think it is awesome" copyright exemption.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Mar 2009, 10:55

Paul wrote:This falls under the little known "We think it is awesome" copyright exemption.
Aka the "Permission of copyright holder" clause
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 27 Mar 2009, 12:31

Paul wrote:I think I can safely say that, especially since this stuff is being made to sell for Desert Bus, we have no problem with you using the LRR logo, Desert Bus logo, Runners logo or any other LRR-related images.

This falls under the little known "We think it is awesome" copyright exemption.

Good to know. I thought it was worth a mention.

In that case, I may have to dig out my foam, x-acto knife, gold paint and gold-colored chains...
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 27 Mar 2009, 14:25

ecocd wrote:I love this idea and I already have some ideas of my own.

My one useful suggestion is to submit any LRR gear designs for Graham and/or Paul's approval before any fan puts serious work into it so the crew doesn't come off as dicks when they have to ask someone not to sell the two dozen Runners necklaces they crafted, because they already have their own designs in the pipeline. I don't think anyone wants to take money out of their pockets.

To rain on the parade further, aren't there copyright and trademark issues here? If I cross-stitch classic NES and SNES character sprites, wouldn't that run afoul of copyright issues? I don't think the companies would really care if one schmuck puts those up on eBay or sells them at gaming conventions, but this is an organized effort and could attract attention.

Heck, even all of the the LoadingReadyRun(ners) logos are im/explicitly trademarked and each project would, legally, have to be approved by the de facto trademark owners (Graham and Paul in this case).

I see what you mean here, and I'm definitely going to PM one of the mods on some things, just to see if they're fine with it. That way, it's all above-board, but still a surprise for the bidders. :D

However, I do want to stay away from any kind of competition - this is supposed to be about solidarity in suffering, after all! I'll post any ideas that seem doable from my end, and maybe collaborate with other Victorians??

Vaughn wrote:This doesnt work if everyone makes stuff. then theres no one to buy it.

Ahahaha, you forget that the road to craftdom is long and filled with equipment failure, prior commitments, and plain old human error. Not unlike Desert Bus. Besides, the more we get done, the more we can auction off, or maybe make prize packs like last year. Hey, there's a good idea...

Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 27 Mar 2009, 15:03

I absolutely fail at needlework. The only time I did reasonably well someone stole my picture of a monkey. I cried. But I do like the idea of bookmarks, or possibly clothing? I know someone who does really amazing things with a shirt and a bunch of safety pins.

Return to “General Discussion”