The Panel

Is there something you want to see? Give us suggestions here.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

The Panel

Postby Arius » 30 Aug 2009, 22:54

How about a series of videos where the crew debates common geek arguments?

Three on each side with Graham as the moderator. Would be entertaining, require minimal scripting, and a good way to get the crew's take on things rather than waiting for Ask LRR.

A couple topics:
Old School v New
Fast Zombies v Slow
Pirates v Ninjas
Wars v Trek
JRPG v CRPG
Halo v Half Life
And with special guests: Nintendo v Sony v Microsoft

(Just so this joke isn't worn into a nub: Master Debaters. Happy?)
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: The Panel

Postby tak197 » 31 Aug 2009, 03:45

You mean like the ShayCarl/Woody/Graham GI Joe video, only with a different debate topic, and Graham has to CLEARLY agree with one side over another, even as the moderator?
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Aug 2009, 03:50

I'd be interested in PvN and RZvSZ, and we know the crew are entertaining as just regular folk talking to eachother, so it wouldn't even really need to intentionally made funny.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Arius

Postby Arius » 31 Aug 2009, 04:23

What Lyinginbedmon said.

The only parts I'd think would be scripted at all would be the intros, just so they are clear and entertaining. I picture it something like Hardball with Chris Matthews. But less about politics and more about zombies and video games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardball_with_Chris_Matthews

Get 3 tables set up. The small one in the middle with the two longer on the sides. Making an upside down V shape. Then three people on each side of Graham who sits in the middle. He presents the topic and makes sure that each side is able to argue their point.

I suggested Graham as the moderator because he is the one everyone listens to. Plus, I kinda picture it ending up with something along the lines of "Kathleen, honey, put Paul down. His face is turning purple."
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 31 Aug 2009, 04:59

Arius wrote:Plus, I kinda picture it ending up with something along the lines of "Kathleen, honey, put Paul down. His face is turning purple."

This would have to happen... I lol'd.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 31 Aug 2009, 11:55

I have only one problem with this idea, but it's a pretty major one: everybody on the internet argues about pirates vs. ninjas, and how much fast zombies suck, and whether Halo is any good or not. Plus the crew have talked about these subjects in podcasts before, so even if they scripted different opinions it'd still feel a bit like old news. I'm sure the crew'd do a good job of it, but it's not really something I'm interested in seeing from a talented comedy outfit with ideas of their own.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 31 Aug 2009, 12:31

I'd like it to be maybe an x ways to y... "how not to do an internet panel show" or "how to make the worst internet panel show ever"
*rehash cliches
*Verbalise leet speak
*resort to violence and swearing
etc etc etc
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 31 Aug 2009, 16:02

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:I have only one problem with this idea, but it's a pretty major one: everybody on the internet argues about pirates vs. ninjas, and how much fast zombies suck, and whether Halo is any good or not. Plus the crew have talked about these subjects in podcasts before, so even if they scripted different opinions it'd still feel a bit like old news. I'm sure the crew'd do a good job of it, but it's not really something I'm interested in seeing from a talented comedy outfit with ideas of their own.

Those were just sample debate topics. I still want to see this video happen to hear Morgan respond to a comment by saying "Graham you ignorant slut", just because it's a throwback to classic SNL comedy, and Morgan calling anyone a slut is the pot calling the kettle black.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 31 Aug 2009, 16:13

Morgan's speech style in general fascinates me, he can use some fairly high-end vocabulary and wording to express some very crude things. I'd certainly love to see him in a debate scenario.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 31 Aug 2009, 17:26

I'd like to see this, if you can come up with some truly absurd topics (such as the taste of the colour green), and the monitor has be be clearly taken one side or the other (and/or openly strongarmed/bribed to switch sides repeatedly as the video goes on).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ThrashJazzAssassin

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 01 Sep 2009, 05:20

tak197 wrote:Those were just sample debate topics. I still want to see this video happen to hear Morgan respond to a comment by saying "Graham you ignorant slut", just because it's a throwback to classic SNL comedy, and Morgan calling anyone a slut is the pot calling the kettle black.

Oh, absolutely, Tak. I just don't like the "common geek arguments" part, because, well... they're common. The taste of the colour green, on the other hand, is a highly suitable topic for an LRR debate.

DebLRRte?

Maybe not.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 01 Sep 2009, 06:23

How hard is that, though?

Eat a green M&M.

Eat some other color of M&M.

Determine the difference.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 01 Sep 2009, 07:19

But because its Quanta you can get into a million arguments regarding that.

I could, for example, doubt that M&M's claim to the colour of green. Prove to me that the 'green' M&M I see isn't actually purple.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 01 Sep 2009, 07:22

Also why does M&M's own the colour green? I can think of TONS of green things that all taste different. Therefore one must resolve that it isn't the colour green that we are tasting but in fact the base material of the M&M and this isn't a contest on what chocolate tastes now is it?
Nothing to see here.
ThrashJazzAssassin

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 01 Sep 2009, 07:23

Yeah, that would determine the taste of green food colouring, not the colour green. Although, of course, supermarket brand strawberry ice cream quite definitely tastes of pink, so we do have a taste reference for some colours.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 01 Sep 2009, 07:32

I dunno I always thought that those little heart candy sweets you find at Valentines day tasted of pink. There is however definitely a flavour of WKD called "Blue"
Nothing to see here.
Lyinginbedmon

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Sep 2009, 07:42

Blue is definitely a flavour, but I'm a biased source since it's also my favourite colour.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 01 Sep 2009, 07:46

Blue's flavour is that of Blue Freezies.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 01 Sep 2009, 08:26

Okay. So we've determined that Blue and Pink have flavours. Thats not the question here though guys! The thing we're looking for is the flavour of green.

Or something about videos or something ....
Nothing to see here.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 01 Sep 2009, 08:28

I like to think that Green's flavour is somewhere between Green Apple and Lime.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Unclever title

Postby Unclever title » 01 Sep 2009, 17:19

What I would want to be the flavor of Green would be mint, but of course there's a tremendous variety of greens out there so it's pretty hard to narrow down.

I will say that when I first smelled curry powder the best word that came to my mind to describe the smell was "brown" even though curry tends to make food yellowish depending on the amount and stuff.

It brought to mind some interesting qualities on how we describe taste and smell, many of the words we use for it are interchangeable between the senses, sweet, bitter, even salty. But then there are visual adjectives that get thrown in there such as light or dark which can apply both to taste and smell. It's all pretty interesting to think about.

But not necessarily funny. :D

As a related note, while I don't have synesthesia, I do throw words around like they were made of paper... you know like playing cards, or paper airplanes... footballs?

Also obviously Orange has a flavor too. As does Strawberry. :mrgreen:
My train of thought is more like a roller coaster that has loop de loops and no safety bars.
I don't know if I'm tall enough to ride.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 01 Sep 2009, 18:33

I would say pink is that awful bubblegum flavor and blue is the enigmatic "blue raspberry" that tastes nothing like raspberries ever.
Arius

Postby Arius » 01 Sep 2009, 19:05

And the snozberries taste like snozberries.

Anyway, the thing about the video suggestion is we enjoy Loading Time and LRRcasts so much because we like knowing what the crew is like when they're just being candid. As an audience, we have a desire to feel like we're part of what we're watching. Seeing the crew interact in real life serves that purpose in making us feel like we know them. I'm sure that there is a lot of psychology that I don't understand, but I know enough to understand it is common. This is why people like going to meet ups and such. So, a series like this would help give the fans that sense of "they are just like me." Hell, depending on how much they draw from their lives, the scripted videos give that feeling.

Basically, seeing the crew just be themselves would be better for this idea than having scripts.

Also, adding a video camera to the podcasts and releasing both the video and normal audio... Just a thought. Think about your Desert Bus numbers. How many of those people do you think tuned in for the buscam and how many for seeing you interact?
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 04 Sep 2009, 05:24

Speaking of discussing colours as flavours. Did you guys see todays Penny Arcade? ....freeeeeeeaky
Nothing to see here.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 04 Sep 2009, 05:29

I also thought of this thread when I read that.

Return to “Video Suggestions”