Star Trek Online

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Re: Star Trek Online

Postby Vanguard » 24 Apr 2011, 18:34

... which, by some miracle, I can afford. So again, is anyone still playing?
ImageImageImageImage
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 26 Apr 2011, 05:23

:(

Sadly, the 'can I afford?' question is the ONLY thing keeping me out; if it weren't for this damn debt; about $30k would see us clear so rent, utilities & living expenses, wife's child support and a monthly car payment would still leave me enough leeway to re-sub.

Stupid 'mortgage your future' student loans... (especially when you end up dropping out)
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 26 Apr 2011, 12:35

I'm rapidly hitting the grind stage, the missions have lost their interest, they're just a series of relatively fun space battles tied together with the endless slog that is ground combat.

The new engineering report promises some really fun changes so I might reactivate my sub again periodically, but right now I'm losing interest and just getting annoyed with it.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Apr 2011, 13:41

If they ever somehow manage to fix (or eliminate entirely) ground combat, then I'll likely be back in ASAP. Unless Diablo III has come out by then.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 26 Apr 2011, 14:48

It's weird. Cryptic made City of Heroes/Villains, which had good combat. Fast paced, fun, with a real sense of progression. Levelling up to get new powers was FUN. STO's ground combat, on the other hand, is an exercise in frustration. It takes forever, it's tedious, and there isn't really a sense of progression. You only ever have two attacks, and while kits gradually improve, they're largely static. You gain new abilities, but most of them feel more like you're launching really ugly fireworks than doing anything useful.

Basically, WTF Cryptic?

I got a lifetime subscription as a well-meaning gift, so I can hop in any time there's worth-while content. Or if people want to shoot stuff IN SPAAAAACE. But otherwise, I never play any more.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Apr 2011, 15:37

One day, this game will go FtP, and that day, I will re-install it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
empath

Postby empath » 26 Apr 2011, 17:21

I'll be right behind you...er, I mean- :roll:

Champions Online went to 'Freemium', and I tried it out - not bad. But having not played any strain of CoH/V I cannot compare combat systems. Champ-On does seem to resemble STO's tho - maybe different teams were involved with CoH & CO/STO?
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 26 Apr 2011, 17:29

From what I understand, when NCSoft bought out COX, the devs had the choice of staying on or going with Cryptic. So it's quite possible.

Incidentally, Jack Emmeret was the lead designer of COX(and CO/STO) and went with Cryptic when they parted ways with NCSoft. The game dramatically improved once he was no longer lead designer, and I think subscriptions actually went up. Take that as you will...
FFN
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming, I think

Postby FFN » 13 May 2011, 01:23

I'm still annoyed that I lost my fleet bank gear to somebody who cleared the Runners out, then left the fleet. Who invited this person in, and why haven't I seen this person in this thread?
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 15 May 2011, 11:35

The vault was emptied by somebody named Agamort by the looks of the logs.
FFN
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming, I think

Postby FFN » 16 May 2011, 10:39

Yeah, that's them. Of course, we don't always use the same screen names here as we do on STO.

*stares suspiciously at everybody*
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 16 May 2011, 13:05

Indeed. But surely somebody who was in the fleet knows whether or not they played with him/her at some point.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 May 2011, 18:28

Just read the Engineering Report that went up today. After the season 4 update, I may try it for another month.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Smidge

Postby Smidge » 17 May 2011, 11:31

I remember Agamort I think.
When I played he was always the only one online in the LRR fleet.
So I guess he is in the European time zone.
empath

Postby empath » 17 May 2011, 13:53

Yeah, Agamort - the name rings a bell...was online with me from time to time, but not very often...
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 08 Sep 2011, 12:02

Necrobump. STO is going FTP. Any plans to rejoin when it does?
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Sep 2011, 12:17

I'm willing to give it another go.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 08 Sep 2011, 12:19

They've apparently revamped ground combat to make it less annoying and grindy...
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 08 Sep 2011, 20:32

I'm going. For reals. The f2p version has very little missing. You can't create fleets and you have 2 less bridge officers and you can't do any of the Forge crap, but that's it.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
empath

Postby empath » 10 Sep 2011, 20:00

*sigh*

Well, I guess there goes my free time again; at least I can AFFORD this habit! :D

Hey Nadene - you aren't gonna be an 'admiral on the beach' for much longer, girl!
empath

Postby empath » 26 Nov 2011, 18:32

...Yep, only about a month-and-a-half.

I, for one, will be looking forward to that - World of Tanks has kinda burned me¹ and Puzzle Pirates is fun for going and doing stuff together with the wife, but it lacks a little substance, and MechWarrior Online isn't estimated to be released until late 2012...

Footnote: 1. I'm stuck in some nice but light tanks that always end up placed in HEAVY tank matches by the funky matchmaking software - I might get a single kill if I'm lucky, and some scouting xp, but I never survive, and whether my team wins or loses, I only get a pittance over my repair costs - it'd be another month of two-three matches a day...per tank that I have before I can afford to pick up a decent medium I've been eyeing.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 27 Nov 2011, 05:37

empath wrote:...Yep, only about a month-and-a-half.

I, for one, will be looking forward to that - World of Tanks has kinda burned me¹ and Puzzle Pirates is fun for going and doing stuff together with the wife, but it lacks a little substance, and MechWarrior Online isn't estimated to be released until late 2012...

Footnote: 1. I'm stuck in some nice but light tanks that always end up placed in HEAVY tank matches by the funky matchmaking software - I might get a single kill if I'm lucky, and some scouting xp, but I never survive, and whether my team wins or loses, I only get a pittance over my repair costs - it'd be another month of two-three matches a day...per tank that I have before I can afford to pick up a decent medium I've been eyeing.

I think I'll give STO a go when it becomes free. I've wanted to play for a while, but not enough to actually pay.
I've been playing world of tanks since I lost interest in EVE and WOT is starting to be dull, Too many people whining about match maker and being arsetards. If I play It's usually just to get my first victory double XP on some of my tanks, I have 11, and I can't be bothered trying to win on all of them.
empath

Postby empath » 27 Nov 2011, 12:29

Yeah, I've got maybe five in my 'active' list; grinding towards cooler tanks (I foolishly blew my cash on a Hetzer again, forgetting how while its low profile is simulated by virtual invisibility but it also turns like a lethargic tortoise on 'ludes, so now I'm stuck with a 'glass hammer'). I've been wondering about the US tank destroyers, but I've got too many irons in the fire for it to be fun as it is...
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 29 Nov 2011, 04:52

empath wrote:Yeah, I've got maybe five in my 'active' list; grinding towards cooler tanks (I foolishly blew my cash on a Hetzer again, forgetting how while its low profile is simulated by virtual invisibility but it also turns like a lethargic tortoise on 'ludes, so now I'm stuck with a 'glass hammer'). I've been wondering about the US tank destroyers, but I've got too many irons in the fire for it to be fun as it is...

Ah. Hetzers gonna hetz... I've been working on getting the best gun for the ferdinand, and the GW tiger. tank destroyers do well when they hang back, it's so frustrating when a tank comes up and gets behind you and parks against you so you can't turn around and shoot them, but being able to pick the enemy off from a distance is awesome.

I mostly just play artillery, nothing causes rage and tears like artillery.
empath

Postby empath » 29 Nov 2011, 05:01

I used to do arty, but I found the play mechanic for that was so different it threw me off when I switched between it and 'regular' tanks.

...I do remember one time my t57 was the last unit left on my team and I ended up defending the flag from a M2 medium and pzIII...with direct-fire only. They were foolish enough to approach separately, and I think the M2 had had damaged tracks because he was moving so slow on level ground; had to ram the pzIII to keep my gun trained on him tho. "Turret? Ve don' need no steenkin' turret!" ;)

Return to “Video Games”