Episode 2 - Bungie Jumping.

Talk about LRR's gaming news show on PATV.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Re: Episode 2 - Bungie Jumping.

Postby WAYF » 16 May 2011, 15:52

I had a really good "is my PS3 safe?" joke, but I guess I'm too late and it's not topical anymore. Ah well. :P

The sound was marginally better on this one! Nobody has to kick up a ruckus anymore because they have to turn their volume up a little bit!
The comment about 'slightly reduced hiss' at the beginning nailed it perfectly. I actually caught myself listening out for superlative sound quality before forcing my mind to turn to more important matters like, oh, I don't know, the content.

And it was gold this week. Interspersed with more gold (like Wes Borg's Rex Carnegie hiding behind some garbage dumps. Also I thought I saw James and someone else in the background at one point, but they might have just been random blurry people who were watching the shoot.
My second-favourite bit was the Fallout: New Vegas package with bandaids all over it, co-inciding with the descriptor "horrendously buggy". Oh, and Kathleen giving Blizzard her resumé.

(My PS3 is box-shaped, quite large and heavy, has a small keypad, and opens at the front if you press the numbers on the keypad in the right order. Is it Safe? :P )
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 16 May 2011, 16:04

iamafish wrote:anyone know where i can find a lower quality version of the video? I don't care as much about image quality as i do about actually being able to watch the video without having to stop every thirty seconds and letting the bloody thing buffer

Did you turn the HD off? If you did and it's still giving you problems, I might be able to help.
Beta Test
First Video: who you gonna call

Postby Beta Test » 16 May 2011, 16:28

WAYF wrote:(My PS3 is box-shaped, quite large and heavy, has a small keypad, and opens at the front if you press the numbers on the keypad in the right order. Is it Safe? :P )

Hey no fair I already did the "It is actually a safe joke"
Sneaky... :mrgreen:
I'm Ignorant, God...
Sorry I can't do that, it violates my three laws of robotics.
Geoff_B: Your scout is Bonkers!
njsykora
First Video: The Job

Postby njsykora » 16 May 2011, 17:10

Wes freaking killed it, but I'm with everyone else waiting anxiously for the return of the Quickbender.
Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » 16 May 2011, 22:35

love the new series, but one little problem though: blip tv. blip tv never streams fast enough for me to watch a ~5 min video without letting it load for a minute or two at the start.

im just nitpicking though, glad to see the return of the dry delivery mixed with pure absurdity.
This signature is offensive. You are offended.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 17 May 2011, 00:28

Sorry, but I'm standing by my "perfect amount of Rex Carnegie in this episode" statement, guys.. Because seriously, a conspiracy theorist does ONE thing. Ramble. And that's what that segment was. Rather witty, intellectual rambling. I loved that entire bit.

This may also be because whenever I see Wes Borg, I also see John DiMaggio. And EVERYONE needs more John DiMaggio in their life.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 17 May 2011, 01:10

Vigafre wrote:
iamafish wrote:anyone know where i can find a lower quality version of the video? I don't care as much about image quality as i do about actually being able to watch the video without having to stop every thirty seconds and letting the bloody thing buffer

Did you turn the HD off? If you did and it's still giving you problems, I might be able to help.

yes, that helped a little bit, but it's still pretty sloooooow.

really god vid, though. I loved the Wes Borg bit, pure awesome. The comment about the Blizzard Odin-Sleep was pretty great too, and the beta testing of Fallout New Vegas. All good, guys.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 17 May 2011, 04:01

I'll echo comments that I probably liked last week more as the Bungie bit went on a bit too long, but everyone is at the mercy of the news cycle and even The Daily Show suffers on slow news days. I especially liked the opening jokes about Oni 2 and Obsidian doubling their QA staff. There might have been a missed opportunity for an image gag on Kathleen's resume, but there are only so many hours in a day to produce all those Bionic Trousers videos.

If you're looking for some filler, you should take a look at this article by AnandTech.com's Anand Lai Shimpi. Here's the fantastic conclusion:
By 2013 we should be seeing smartphones based on Tegra 3 and 4 (codename Wayne and Logan) and ARM's Cortex A15. GPU performance by then should be higher than both the PS3 and Xbox 360 (also implying that Silvermont needs Sandy Bridge level graphics performance to be competitive, which is insane to think about).

If anyone can come up with a more compelling reason for a "console refresh" than having beefier GPU performance in your phone, I would like to see it.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 17 May 2011, 11:19

I think the Bungie rant was just a tad too long, but other than that the episode as a whole was an improvement over last week's. I especially enjoyed the dialog between Graham and Kathleen in the first half, that whole segment was spot-on.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 18 May 2011, 05:23

Haha I am following the Checkpoint thread on the PA forums too, and I love that the fact that the crew is being polite is completely throwing them off.

Because, you see, they are used to being assholes.

And of course, people started criticizing Jer for the eye condition and then Kathleen sprung pubmed on them! Insensitive clods.

Gaaah I love you guys.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 18 May 2011, 13:00

I just don't want a repeat of the Escapist forums constant annoyance at Jer for a problem he can't fix. Grr.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 18 May 2011, 14:32

I think it's funny how one poster said that you guys were more relaxed this time, and another one said that your delivery was still too forced/stilted/whatever word they used.

I'm going to admit: forums that are not this forum confuse me.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Beta Test
First Video: who you gonna call

Postby Beta Test » 18 May 2011, 14:32

AlexanderDitto wrote:Haha I am following the Checkpoint thread on the PA forums too, and I love that the fact that the crew is being polite is completely throwing them off.

Because, you see, they are used to being assholes.

And of course, people started criticizing Jer for the eye condition and then Kathleen sprung pubmed on them! Insensitive clods.

Gaaah I love you guys.

Like I said, so totally called it. :mrgreen:
I'm Ignorant, God...
Sorry I can't do that, it violates my three laws of robotics.
Geoff_B: Your scout is Bonkers!
Nirvana
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Nirvana » 19 May 2011, 12:16

Kathleen wrote:I just don't want a repeat of the Escapist forums constant annoyance at Jer for a problem he can't fix. Grr.

I am glad at least that people immediately understood once you pointed it out, and apologized/backed off.

I was afraid they were being critical BECAUSE of his condition, and felt a rant coming on.
Check out my weekly WWE RAW reviews at http://www.RingsideAcademy.com
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 19 May 2011, 14:13

And Rex's rant became more hilarious in hindsight: check out the logo for Bungie Aerospace's Project Destiny. Look like anything? (Hint: add rubber band.)
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 19 May 2011, 14:58

Hey, Ihave the same condition as Jer.. only not visible. oÔ Strange thing, eyes.

Wes' mad rant felt a tad too long but was still funny, so what the hell... I enjoyed myself, keep at it. :)
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 20 May 2011, 15:45

Heh. Good video. May just be because I used to be quite into bungie, but the whole 'conspiracy' angle didn't do it for me, because it's kind of a running gag with Bungie.

They even talk about it in their weekly updates:

Hiokami: How close is Bungie to completing the giant slingshot that will catapult their enemies into the sun?

It’s in the prototyping phase. Some of Doyle’s He-Man figures have had a really rough 2008.

if they ever are in breach of their contract we reserve the right to put them in the giant sling shot and send them skyrocketing into the sun, along with our other evil enemies. Oh yeah, I keep the giant sling shot well-oiled and in good working condition.

As I said, I thought it was a good video, but maybe because I already knew about it I couldn't be taken in as much as perhaps you were hoping for.
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog

Return to “Checkpoint”