LRRcast for Give Girlfriend

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast for Give Girlfriend

Postby Graham » 03 Aug 2011, 14:22

A bunch of stuff from a LRRcast we thought we'd lost on James' computer somewhere.

Video Here

MP3 Here
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: LRRcast for Give Girlfriend

Postby Vigafre » 03 Aug 2011, 15:47

I really don't mean to be rude, but if Kathleen's going to draw during recording, she shouldn't be right next to the mic.
reptile

Postby reptile » 03 Aug 2011, 16:18

Hmmm. The "indifferent angel" discussion seems related to "Fiscal Responsibility"....
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Aug 2011, 16:31

Fun fact; the wife and I found out we are both Gryffindor the other day. And it was awesome.

I always took it that each of the houses had a potentially good attribute that, taken to excess, is bad. So, for Gryffindor -> courage, which in excess leads to boastfulness and general assholerie. Slytherin -> ambition, which in excess leads to power-hungriness and general evil. Ravenclaw -> intelligence, which in excess leads to nebbishness and haughtiness (I guess).

And then Hufflepuff, which sucks. Because you can't really have an excess of 'accept everyone'. Unless you like... accept Hitler.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 03 Aug 2011, 17:58

Trying to supress my inner nerd has failed.
Cedric Diggory was not an older Gryfindor, he was a Hufflepuff. Most of the reason that their house (which is known for it's kindness) is so anti-Potter in the fourth book/movie is because Hufflepuff rarely recieves any glory, and they viewed it as Gryfindor house once again exhibiting, as metcarfre put it, "general assolerie," in that Harry was percieved to be stealing that glory.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Aug 2011, 18:34

Yeah, what he said. Jerks.

YOU WASTE ALL YOUR TIME WITH MAGIC AND THIS IS WHAT YOU GET. FORGETTING WHAT HOUSE CEDRIC DIGGORY WAS IN. W. T. F.
NotAwesomeAtAll
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 03 Aug 2011, 19:34

I'm surprised at how much you guys knew about the bill on "interactive media". Living in the States it was hard to find information on it until it was being voted on. I applaud you sirs (and lady), job well done.
While there is no Ultra Court, some do want to start Super Congress. I hope that brings a smile to your face after the crushing disappointment of America not having an Ultra Court.
"It's very pissing in the wind, but the sky is on fire, and it's the best I can manage."
-David Mitchell
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Aug 2011, 19:53

What they said about Cedric. Also, Hufflepuffs are great FINDERS.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 03 Aug 2011, 21:18

Saying Matt has sex with horses made me laugh, because I instantly thought of how much he likes My Little Pony.
What are you looking at.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Aug 2011, 22:19

WE ARE ALL ENDLESSLY EMBARRASSED ABOUT THE DIGGORY THING.

Well, I'm not, but Kathleen and Matt, who should know, are.
Sorry guys.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 04 Aug 2011, 00:20

A bit of an idea for the indifferent angel thing.
One could be very aware about the situation but doesn't care and the other could be completely unfocused about what's going on and just fascinated by everything else no matter how mundane.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 04 Aug 2011, 06:39

Smart and dumb angel.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 04 Aug 2011, 07:26

French and confused angel.
Guy: "What do I do?"
Angel 1: "Frenchy frenchy fancish words, ohoho."
Guy: "Wha... what? How does that... I don't even speak french!"
Second angel appears.
Guy: "Oh thank god, please tell me you speak english!"
Angel 2: "I don't know..."

What, noone said they had to be opposites. If Good and Bad angel are on vacation, who knows who's filling in for them.
ImageImage
waZelda
First Video: The job

Postby waZelda » 04 Aug 2011, 09:36

Cedric Diggory is a Hufflepuff you guys. They made a deal about it in the book saying the other Hufflepuffs were angry about Harry "cheating" his way into the turnament and trying to steal the glory because Hufflepuffs rarely won anything. They were also very proud when Cedric beat Harry at Quidditch.
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then wouldn't hurt.
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 04 Aug 2011, 11:38

For comedic purposes, a good complement to the indifferent angel would be the contrary angel who always wants the opposite of whatever the other angel wants.

Guy: What do I do? Should I kill him?
Indifferent: Yeah, totally whack the guy.
Contrary: No! No! You can't do that! Don't kill him!
Guy: Why do you think I should kill him?
Indifferent: Meh, I don't really care.
Contrary: I... but... but...!

(Also the Harry Potter thing.)
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 04 Aug 2011, 22:26

Jer's way of differentiating the four houses is amazing. I love it.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Aug 2011, 07:15

Vigafre wrote:I really don't mean to be rude, but if Kathleen's going to draw during recording, she shouldn't be right next to the mic.

Also this.
zukamori
First Video: Rejected Wii Games

Postby zukamori » 05 Aug 2011, 08:00

just an FYI, Richmond Nightmarket is still running, it is still in Richmond, and its located on the south side of the Knight street bridge north of the Ikea.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 05 Aug 2011, 15:43

Graham wrote:WE ARE ALL ENDLESSLY EMBARRASSED ABOUT THE DIGGORY THING.

Well, I'm not, but Kathleen and Matt, who should know, are.
Sorry guys.

This.

-m

I am not angry at you.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 05 Aug 2011, 21:09

I didn't really want to post this. This might derail the topic, but whatever gets us away from the Harry Potter discussion.

I detest Michael Moore. I've never been able to convince anyone why, no matter what I say. This has been an uphill battle since about 2003. I don't dislike him because I disagree with him. It's not because I don't find him funny. It's because he's a jerk.

In Bowling for Columbine, he entered the house, under false pretenses, of an man suffering from Alzheimer's and gave him the runaround. (Earlier in the film, when talking to him on the intercom, this man said, "I've got people coming over, so why don't you come over tomorrow? I think that's Thursday." I THINK that's Thursday.) Anyone have a grandparent with dementia? To watch him fence with an unprepared and ailing gentleman is just unbearable, as low as Rosie O'Donnell's post-Columbine ambush of someone else who was a spokesperson for the same organization. (And yet, it's my favorite part of the movie, as the gentleman just stands up and leaves without a single aggressive word, patting him on the shoulder like a disapproving father, with the unmistakable look of "You poor guy. What led you to treat someone like this?")

During the production of Sicko, the webmaster of an anti-Moore website posted about his wife's health problems. He received a letter from a pseudonym who said they wanted to pay for his wife's medical bill. He was briefly thrilled, but later, someone suggested, "hey, what if that was Michael Moore who did that?"

It was. The episode was included in Sicko, a movie about the health care system. He stayed anonymous JUST long enough to trick a political foe and make him look foolish. (Generally, you don't donate something anonymously and then take credit for it a month later.)

Michael Moore used this webmaster and his wife as a means to an end. But much worse, he's made the act of anonymous charity immediately suspicious to anyone with strong beliefs in anything controversial. He took the act of charity and used it as a weapon.

I implore anyone reading this, if you've taken stock in anything this man has said, disavow it. Those checks will bounce. But I know I cannot be as compelling as a multimillionaire filmmaker, so I won't bother to argue it here. But look at what I've said and understand that one thing is clear beyond a reasonable doubt:

Michael Moore is a scoundrel. It is in everyone's best interest not to emulate him and how he treats others.

Again, PLEASE let's not argue much about this. Something about him gets right in the base of the brain where opinions cannot be dislodged.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 05 Aug 2011, 21:42

King Kool wrote:*snip*
In Bowling for Columbine, he entered the house, under false pretenses, of an man suffering from Alzheimer's and gave him the runaround. (Earlier in the film, when talking to him on the intercom, this man said, "I've got people coming over, so why don't you come over tomorrow? I think that's Thursday." I THINK that's Thursday.) Anyone have a grandparent with dementia? To watch him fence with an unprepared and ailing gentleman is just unbearable, as low as Rosie O'Donnell's post-Columbine ambush of someone else who was a spokesperson for the same organization. (And yet, it's my favorite part of the movie, as the gentleman just stands up and leaves without a single aggressive word, patting him on the shoulder like a disapproving father, with the unmistakable look of "You poor guy. What led you to treat someone like this?")*snip*

This! This is exactly why I don't like Moore. I stopped paying attention to anything he's done or said since I saw this scene.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 06 Aug 2011, 15:24

dackwards d wrote:French and confused angel.
Guy: "What do I do?"
Angel 1: "Frenchy frenchy fancish words, ohoho."
Guy: "Wha... what? How does that... I don't even speak french!"
Second angel appears.
Guy: "Oh thank god, please tell me you speak english!"
Angel 2: "I don't know..."

What, noone said they had to be opposites. If Good and Bad angel are on vacation, who knows who's filling in for them.

I think a French angel and a German angel would be pretty funny. They'd just argue and fight in languages which you didn't understand and half of which they didn't even understand. Would be hilariously distracting.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 06 Aug 2011, 19:59

madAlric wrote:
King Kool wrote:*snip*
In Bowling for Columbine, he entered the house, under false pretenses, of an man suffering from Alzheimer's and gave him the runaround. (Earlier in the film, when talking to him on the intercom, this man said, "I've got people coming over, so why don't you come over tomorrow? I think that's Thursday." I THINK that's Thursday.) Anyone have a grandparent with dementia? To watch him fence with an unprepared and ailing gentleman is just unbearable, as low as Rosie O'Donnell's post-Columbine ambush of someone else who was a spokesperson for the same organization. (And yet, it's my favorite part of the movie, as the gentleman just stands up and leaves without a single aggressive word, patting him on the shoulder like a disapproving father, with the unmistakable look of "You poor guy. What led you to treat someone like this?")*snip*

This! This is exactly why I don't like Moore. I stopped paying attention to anything he's done or said since I saw this scene.

He's done more devious things than this I'm afriad. Okay, maybe not worse than the donating to help the guy's wife thing, but general misinformation and using people.
Once again during 'Bowling', there is a scene in which the head of the NRA is apparently saying that the law will have to take his gun from his cold dead hands. However, in between the beginning and end he somehow changes shirts and stages. That's because the statement was stitched together out of two completely seperate lines.
I don't dislike Michael Moore for his stance on issues. I dislike him because he is an insult to journalism and to human nature.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 08 Aug 2011, 09:14

MotorWaffle wrote:He's done more devious things than this I'm afriad. Okay, maybe not worse than the donating to help the guy's wife thing, but general misinformation and using people.
Once again during 'Bowling', there is a scene in which the head of the NRA is apparently saying that the law will have to take his gun from his cold dead hands. However, in between the beginning and end he somehow changes shirts and stages. That's because the statement was stitched together out of two completely seperate lines.
I don't dislike Michael Moore for his stance on issues. I dislike him because he is an insult to journalism and to human nature.
That's not accurate.
The editing trickery is that Moore made it look like Heston was speaking in direct response to the Columbine shootings, which he was not.

Heston did however, say the whole "Cold dead hands" line, it was just in a markedly different context.

Moore used to do great stuff, but he got quite up his own ass in recent years.
I would highly recommend watching Sicko though, it really doesn't reek of lies like Fahrenheit 9/11 does.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 08 Aug 2011, 16:08

Remember buying into Moore wholesale (along with everyone else in my circle at the time) around the time of Bowling for Columbine and Stupid White Men. Benefit of hindsight, kind of uncomfortable about that now. Mind you, I prefer to lament how political discourse can reach a level where people like Moore and Anne Coulter can legitimately claim to be making meaningful contributions.

Its maybe a little unfair to just blankly dismiss Moore because of his methodology. Apart from anything else I still regard Sicko highly, if only because it held up the NHS for the miracle it really is, especially given the quintessentially British way we keep knocking it. I'd agree at least that its odd that people, rather than ragging about his attitude and methods, which are perfectly ripe targets for criticism, plump for ragging about his weight, which just seems petty and lazy.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."

Return to “LRRcast”