Canadaman - The Sanguine Knight

Is there something you want to see? Give us suggestions here.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Canadaman - The Sanguine Knight

Postby The Jester » 23 Nov 2011, 07:25

Ok, so this started when I decided I wanted to redesign Canadaman while I was doing the heroes from Who You Gonna Call? I had some sketches done, but no finished art, by the time of the first LRRndon meetup.

While drawing them I had the idea that Canadaman could be re-imagined as this Dark Knight Returns gritty superhero - only he's still the same guy, still nice and polite and with that ridiculous accent, which I thought would be hilarious. While at LRRndon I showed Graham and Kathleen those sketches, and also expressed my idea, which by that time had grown to include an Edgar Wright-style opening montage of Canadaman putting on his suit accompanied by the appropriate whooshing camera moves, quick cuts and over-exaggerated sound effects.

I also was just thinking of a way to extend the video. There are two... Either:
Canadaman struggles to put on his new costume so much that it takes him the whole video and passers-by are wondering what he's doing in that phonebox/alley, and are worried for him (probably doesn't have the legs to last thirty seconds, let alone four minutes...),
OR
He's called in to deal with a really dangerous hostage situation or something; a situation which Batman would be perfectly capable of dealing with, but not Canadaman.
Perhaps he's called by a Canadaman signal, which is basically just a Canadian flag projected onto some clouds.
He gets sent in, all the while attempting to protest, and finds that in fact, inside, it is Jacques Francouir (Francoiur? Frankwar? Bah) is the person who is holding the hostages. Only; he actually isn't. He also redesigned his costume, and when he went into the bank wearing it, just to do something mundane and boring, everyone inside thought he was trying to hold up the bank.
nd maybe Jacques has a gang who're following his orders, except they only follow him because of a misunderstanding, and he's actually terrified of them.
They could, having to work together, orchestrate Jacques' escape and the capture of the actually dangerous criminals so that their reputations are saved. Or.. that could happen whether they want it to or not due to a confluence of events (since, after all, if their reputations increased to Canadaman being able to negotiate with armed, violent criminals and Jacques being able to command gangs of fanatic thugs to attack banks and other high-profile targets... both of their lives would become much more difficult and dangerous).

And for a stinger.. perhaps a kid could be playing with a Canadian memorabilia flash-light which accidentally summons Canadaman.

Sorry if that's all rather disorganised. I'm not very confident of my ability to write videos like the LRR crew, and.. most of that was made up as I was writing. So... yeah. I hope you guys can find something in there you can parse out and use. :P
Last edited by The Jester on 03 Dec 2011, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
waZelda
First Video: The job

Re: Canadaman - The Red Knight

Postby waZelda » 30 Nov 2011, 09:39

Or how about it start off with him having trouble with the new costume, then he gets called on, but by the time he shows up he's still struggling to get it on and the villain eventually gives him a hand and helps him get it on properly.
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then wouldn't hurt.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 30 Nov 2011, 17:10

This post gave me anticancer. I like the idea of him struggling with the new costume, but not for the full video... waZelda's solution is to me the best solution to it. When Canadaman comes in, still struggling with his costume, then Jacques frustratedly yanks the piece he's having trouble with into place. The whole Jacques at the bank thing is hilarious, and the stinger is perfect.
ImageImage
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Re: Canadaman - The Sanguine Knight

Postby The Jester » 01 Dec 2011, 17:36

You know, I had an idea about the title. It would fit better if it was "The Sanguine Knight" (look particularly at the fifth definition), which would fit the whole "The Dark Knight" naming standard. Batman is dark, both in his costume's colouration and in general demeanour. Canadaman is very much not, and is in fact very upbeat.

I like the idea that Jacques helps him with the last piece of his outfit. Perhaps it's the zipper on the back of his tunic/top thing? Like; he's walked all the way to the police blockade (or the station, then the blockade) outside the bank struggling to reach it under his cape and on his back, and nobody's helped him with it.
Fezzul
First Video: Toothy Smile

Postby Fezzul » 01 Dec 2011, 19:50

I like the idea of a Gritty Reboot Canadaman. If you did it like a Parody trailer, like the GTA Trailer parody that LRR did a while back, that would work I think.
-----------------------------------------
And that's the news. Skeptics remain skeptical.

Return to “Video Suggestions”