Rapidfire S3 E6

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Graham
Super Moderator

Rapidfire S3 E6

Postby Graham » 01 Jan 2013, 12:19

It's over!!!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Re: Rapidfire S3 E6

Postby JackSlack » 01 Jan 2013, 13:11

Graham wrote:It's over!!!

And with the second best wraparound device of the whole set. (And the best was a very, very hard act to follow). Well dong, guys.

Speed ratings!

Action 9 News Embarrasses You: A. Nailed it. A great, quick gag with a wonderfully speedy in-and-out pacing. Go in, hit the joke, throw away to the next sketch. Exemplifies Rapidfire.
Apple Guy: B . A bit hit or miss, I felt, but Siri Without the Racism and Homophobia was flatly one of the highlights of the whole Rapidfire series. That's a fantastic joke, and I was floored by it.
Back Alley Salesperson: B+. Good to great jokes. I particularly liked the Back Alley Salesperson selling a Back Alley Salesperson.
Cult of Strange Deities: A-. Absolutely solid. Cam joining the group was the highlight, but the gags were hilarious throughout. A wonderful callback, well fleshed out. Gets a slight pip for taking a couple episodes to really get going, I felt.
Kane and Crowthorn: A+: Just solid gold from start to finish. The new French merc team are keepers; I really want to see them in new Mercenary Solutions videos. The idea of a 'more sophisticated' yet equally destructive team really has comic potential against the rough and tumble K&C pair.
Marketing team: C. Just never clicked for me. I don't think there's a true problem with it I can pin down, it just... didn't grab me.
Riley and Rodriguez: B-. A worthwhile experiment that I don't think wholly worked. The dada prattle was in high form, and I have to imagine that dividing it between Graham and James made memorising and delivering them a lot easier, if nothing else. But I missed sorely the repeated 'Outstanding' punchlines, which was often the best joke of the thing: Their complete satisfaction with what's occurred. Still, I enjoyed it.
STD Girls: D+. Ugh. My one great gripe with the whole thing. Removing the straight woman from the sketch turns the joke from being 'a woman's frustrations with her idiot room-mates' into 'dumb blonde' jokes. Gets a plus for making me smile with the "Chess Club" joke.
The Worst Salesman Ever: A- Fantastic stuff. Loved Graham's delivery. Sad there wasn't more of him.

Also, best wraparound device? Canadian PSA. Good god, I'm in stitches every time I watch that thing.
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 01 Jan 2013, 13:27

I really enjoyed this Rapidfire series, was great to see some of the older characters reused as well as new characters.
Quick rundown of my opinions.
Action 9 News Reporter: Loved this character would like to see more.
Bob from Apple: Hit and miss not one of my favorites.
Back Alley Salesperson: Loved this one as well.
Snuggie Cultist: Was great to see them fail and then finally recruit a new member.
Kane and Crowthorn: Always entertaining to see these characters.
Marketing team: Was OK but didn't really do ti for me.
Riley and Rodriguez: I liked it but not as much as the older Rapidfire versions. Just didn't feel the same without the crime seen in the background.
STD Girls: Just no, did not like at all.
Worst Salesman Ever: Graham seams to really like playing salesmen and he always does a good job with it.
Bob Ross: This one had me laughing the entire video! Kate was the perfect choice for this.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 01 Jan 2013, 13:37

Man... this would easily be the best Back Ally Salesman if it weren't for the Seedy Back Ally Russian Nesting Dolls, which is still number one for me.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 01 Jan 2013, 14:56

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant :D I don't think there was a single miss this week :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 01 Jan 2013, 15:14

Psst... you guys forgot a thread for last week's video (Efficiency).
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 01 Jan 2013, 16:17

The moment when the leader at the awkward team-building exercise revealed the drill sergeants to be Kane and Crowthorne? That was brilliant.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 01 Jan 2013, 20:23

Glad you guys did the callback for the detectives, but as always, the snuggie cultists were simply amazing, in my opinion. The jokes were always great and the fact they had an amount of continuity with Cam joining them and then invading the A9 reporter sketch was wonderful.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
DuelLadyS
First Video: Unskippable

Postby DuelLadyS » 01 Jan 2013, 21:56

Jamfalcon wrote:Psst... you guys forgot a thread for last week's video (Efficiency).

Of course not- a thread on that video would've decended into a flame war over the better LRR guest, Andy or Cam, and would've been closed and deleted after heavy mod edits.

With all the time they saved, they could work on new videos about a bunch of artists living in the same building and doing challenges! (Ooo, topical!)
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Jan 2013, 03:11

Awesomesauce.

This video was fantastic!
pokute
First Video: Phailhaüs

Postby pokute » 02 Jan 2013, 10:50

"He is the Oracle!"

I did not see that coming.
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 04 Jan 2013, 00:18

I feel like you guys are trolling us with Detectives Rodriguez and Riley. All that build-up for the same punchline that kept happening in Rapidfires 1 and 2? DAMNIT! :P

But I don't understand why people didn't like the STD girls bit, I liked it. Possibly because it reminded me of Teen Girl Squad.

Personal favourites: Action9 News Reporter, Seedy Back-alley Salesman.
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 04 Jan 2013, 14:48

WAYF wrote:But I don't understand why people didn't like the STD girls bit, I liked it. Possibly because it reminded me of Teen Girl Squad.

As I said:

JackSlack wrote:STD Girls: D+. Ugh. My one great gripe with the whole thing. Removing the straight woman from the sketch turns the joke from being 'a woman's frustrations with her idiot room-mates' into 'dumb blonde' jokes. Gets a plus for making me smile with the "Chess Club" joke.

The whole set of sketches just came across as tired and offensive.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 05 Jan 2013, 01:04

pokute wrote:"He is the Oracle!"

I did not see that coming.

And yet it makes so much sense...

Well, that was a good series of Rapidfire. The only real thing I'd say against it would be that it didn't feel like an ending episode. But then again I don't really think that sort of thing would be neccessary for the series. Especially since it (hopefully) isn't the end of Rapidfire for good.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 05 Jan 2013, 01:25

Oh, I'm sure we'll do more eventually.
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 06 Jan 2013, 08:37

WAYF wrote:But I don't understand why people didn't like the STD girls bit, I liked it. Possibly because it reminded me of Teen Girl Squad.

Teen Girl Squad had a comedic foil: one of the four was the "indie girl" who never quite saw eye-to-eye with the cheerleader and aspiring cheerleaders.

In the original Sigma Theta Delta video, Kathleen's character, the one who was described as "just not a team player," filled that role. Without that character, as others have noted, it deteriorated into a vehicle for "dumb blonde" jokes.

The STD characters also were the only ones in this Rapidfire series who didn't enjoy a character arc or plot development. The cultists started out equally stereotyped (as "dumb cultists") but eventually found their oracle. The bad detectives found self-awareness. The bad TV pitchman got tackled. But the STD girls just stood there and delivered "dumb blonde" jokes from start to finish.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 06 Jan 2013, 09:09

Sometimes it's fun to just write stupid characters. I love those girls, and the specific stupid that they bring. But I totally understand what you're saying.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Jan 2013, 00:24

The "They fight on Thursdays" joke cracked me up, as well as the cross-over between A9 newsman and the Snuggie Cultists. "Man, you guys have some weird names" was a classic line. :D
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”