The Theatre of the Mind

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

The Theatre of the Mind

Postby Kathleen » 18 Mar 2013, 09:32

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... mpaign=all

Being a good GM is harder than it looks.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: The Theatre of the Mind

Postby JayBlanc » 18 Mar 2013, 09:43

But Lake Sidequest is so mild and pleasant this time of year, and you don't get the same crowds as in Summer.
Lumar
First Video: The Arrogent Worms video for Canada Day

Postby Lumar » 18 Mar 2013, 12:06

Reverse this situation and I had the same thing happen to me when I was DMing, it's so sad when a perfectly planned campaign is run over the course of several sessions wrapped up nicely and the people want more in a now type fashion and you have no material.
I may not be funny or witty, but that does not make me less strange.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 18 Mar 2013, 13:24

I like the overall premise of this video, but I was thrown off by the opening. Because Beej started looking uncomfortable and obviously making stuff up as soon as his players refused to search the body, I expected the punchline to involve something the baron was carrying. Because of that I didn't really work out the point of the sketch until afterwards. It's actually quite good! :D But it could've done with a couple of other "Are you sure you don't want to do activity X that I've planned for?" lines to prevent the accidental red herring.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 18 Mar 2013, 13:32

I had the same problem, I assumed the joke had something to do with searching the body. The video was alright, and certainly had it's funny moments, but it took a bit to long for me to get what it was trying to do.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 18 Mar 2013, 13:34

Alina

Postby Alina » 18 Mar 2013, 14:36

That was some seriously convincing line delivery by Beej.
No one had had the slightest desire to learn the language of the boghogs for the simple reason that these creatures communicated by biting each other very hard on the thigh. -Douglas Adams
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 18 Mar 2013, 14:41

Vid didn't click entirely for me but I did enjoy the stinger. I expect artwork for that should show up soon.

Side note: Schuyler dievendorf is an awesome name
WAYF
First Video: Unskippable: The Getaway

Postby WAYF » 18 Mar 2013, 15:26

Hey guys! Guys! I found Spot in this week's video! :D
"My favourite song is 'Girl Panic!'... because girls make me panic... in a good way!"
- Simon Le Bon.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Mar 2013, 18:15

Yeah... I don't really see the humor in this video.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Mar 2013, 19:58

Ouch.
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 18 Mar 2013, 20:31

Yeah, I hate to say it, but this really wasn't one of your best. There were some good lines and bits, the acting was solid and the stinger was exceptional, but the overall joke of the skit seemed to be "inexperienced DMs sure do suck, huh?" which... isn't funny. Anyone who's tried to DM for the first time has likely cornered themselves into Beej's spot. It sucks, and it sucks even worse when the players grill you over it as depicted here. Maybe it would be funnier if it didn't hit so close to home, but as it is it falls completely flat.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 18 Mar 2013, 22:53

I think it depends on your tolerance for cringe humour.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Mar 2013, 00:34

Maybe I've had to have played D&D to get it, then?

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 Mar 2013, 01:13

Kathleen wrote:I think it depends on your tolerance for cringe humour.

Mine's pretty low, and I had to pause the video a couple of times to get my bearings... but I thought it was funny. Maybe I'd find it less so if I'd actually played D&D and had to deal with a bad GM? I dunno. I did enjoy the video, though.

Though I did feel like the whole "loot the body" thing was a bit of a dangling Chekhov's Gun, as others have mentioned... it felt like them not looting the body was what made them jump off-script and started Beej having to ad-lib poorly, and he had something planned for that moment of looting (as it isn't until later in the video that it's made clear that Beej has been ad-libbing for a while). So it seemed odd that once the orphans were discovered to have gone, Beej wouldn't try to press the players into going back to the "loot the bad guy" plan.

I mean, rewatching it seems clearer that the "do you want to loot the body?" thing was just Beej trying to buy time while he thought up the next plot twist, but that's how it looked on the first time through.

All that said though, I did enjoy it. And I don't want the fact that I have more words to say about the small bits I didn't like to detract from that.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 19 Mar 2013, 04:47

I liked it alot.
But then i have played enough DND to see other and myself as a DM trying (And Failing) to come up with answers and a plot on the spot
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Mar 2013, 05:58

Kathleen wrote:I think it depends on your tolerance for cringe humour.

Mine is just about...exactly zero. Sorry Kathleen, but this sketch didn't do much for me either, mainly due to the "lack of point" aspect brought up earlier.

Bumbling and inexperienced DM who hasn't planned for what they players decided to do (despite it been the next logical progression)? Sure, I can at least get that.

Bumbling DM who thinks that his players think that it's real somehow, so he's lying to them....? I'm lost here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2013, 07:37

Yeah, it seemed like two half finished sketches that got mushed together, one with a inexperienced DM trying to keep it together and the other were the DM thought his players thought it was real and was trying to cover.

just missed the mark for me.

There was a element of "you are our friend don't worry about this we are here to support you" I couldn't tell how much of that was the characters supporting their DM friend and how much of it was Jer, James and Kathleen as experienced sketchedians Sketchtors...backing up their Beej friend.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 19 Mar 2013, 08:23

Just couldn't get into this one :( Don't know if it was because I've never played DnD or what but just didn't find it funny. Sorry.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 19 Mar 2013, 08:56

I wanted so hard to like this, but it just kinda fell flat. At one point in the sketch, I actually started to feel like it was being a bit.... god, I don't wanna sound harsh, I mean you do good stuff and you're a cool person, but it felt a little mean-spirited, almost? Like it was going up against GMs that improvise a lot, when often that's our whole thing? I dunno. When I'm GMing, almost all of what I'm doing is improvisation. I can't plan games, because I know players will want to go off the path. So I don't force them down a path, I let 'em roam free, and make shit up to amuse both them and myself. Maybe it's because I'm a GM, and I'm going on the defensive, but this video didn't sit right with me at all.

Eh. Guess this wasn't my kind of sketch, and I can usually dig a bit of cringe humour. Hell, I watched and loved Simon Amstell's Grandma's House, and that's bubbling over with cringe humour.

Lord Hosk hit the nail on the head as well with the feeling that it was like two sketches smushed together.

I feel like I'm being too critical, but I just feel like I should post my thoughts, but I don't wanna piss off Kathleen and you guys, but AH I DON'T KNOW *flails arms ineffectually*

ON THE PLUS SIDE, really, really well acted, and some brilliant direction. Big conversation scenes can be hard to block, but you pulled it off admirably. So good job on that front.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Mar 2013, 09:24

Thysane wrote:ON THE PLUS SIDE, really, really well acted, and some brilliant direction. Big conversation scenes can be hard to block, but you pulled it off admirably. So good job on that front.
I totally agree with this. Don't want to disparage LRR for their work. You're not going to hit gold every time, of course. What was done here was solidly done. You built upon and executed your root idea well. It's just the question of whether the root idea is itself good.

This is kind of the way I feel about Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. That was a very solidly put-together movie. The characters were real. The actors did their absolute best in pulling it off. The script was pretty good, for the story it was built upon. It's just that they were working with a story that was pretty bonkers. Should that story have been done in the first place? Probably not. However, if it's a given that you're going with that story, then they did their absolute best to execute it, and it came off as probably the best movie you'll get out of that story.

Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Mar 2013, 09:46

I enjoyed it. Beej played a DM trying to railroad his party into doing things and failing miserably perfectly and seeing him scrabble around for any kind of inspiration was funny.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 19 Mar 2013, 11:49

I liked it. Lots of recognition. Wasn't your best one, but that's mostly because of the absurdly high quality of your other sketches.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 19 Mar 2013, 13:12

I liked it too. Name making sucks. I often come up with better stuff then Beej did, but that was kind of the point.
The fact that nothing was real made me really laugh. I was half expecting him to think D&D was real or something.

EDIT: Also, be honest, half of all D&D campaigns are constructed like this. But in those cases it's all under the hood/behind the screen.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Mar 2013, 14:04

Also, side note, Yaxley you are all over this one right?

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”