DayZ

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

DayZ

Postby Ptangmatik » 17 Jul 2012, 12:03

Anyone else tried playing this?

Zombies have always had rather a sharp impact on my fragile psyche, I have a hobby of confronting things that scare the hell outta me, so I tend to play this sort of game. I was going out of my mind until I found a hatchet. When I found one in L4D2 it had the same effect, without melee L4D1 hit me quite hard.

My ingame name is Plank. If you see me on a server shout out 'LRR' as a code word and we can team up if you like, if we can sort out a code for where to meet up.

Edit: Also, I still find singing "DayZ, DayZ, give me your answer do" funny
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
CtMolloy

Re: DayZ

Postby CtMolloy » 27 Jul 2012, 19:11

I heard about it and thought it sounded interesting, I don't have the money to buy ARMA II right now so I guess it'll have to wait. :lol:
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 28 Jul 2012, 02:08

I was lucky enough to catch it on sale on the developer's website before the steam sales. Be warned: it's still in alpha, so its a bit buggy but its such a good concept for a game that it makes up for it

I was sprinting through a forest, trying to meet up with a few friends on the server, I then ran over an animal carcass (incredibly rare occurrence, animals don't spawn that often then someone has to kill it then I have to not spot it on my way past) and running over it teleported me back to where i'd spawned that life, which was at the top of a large set of stairs out at a castle, which I promptly leapt off because I was still sprinting, killing me instantly. Despite losing some reasonable supplies, I laughed my head off

Anyway, except for the bugs it's an incredibly tense, immersive game. Trust is seriously scarce since to a lot of people, other players are essentially walking loot and zombies are scary as all hell
Jebus90
First Video: Bandwitdh Exceeded

Postby Jebus90 » 30 Jul 2012, 07:01

I love this game, been playing it for a few weeks now. Mainly on Irish servers. On my last life I ended up with a L85 AWS (assault rifle with night & thermal scopes) and a DMR. Ended up starving to death though.....

This go round I decided to be different, so I set up a supply point on the roof of the apartments in electro. Did a huge run through and ended up with a full toolbelt and spares, a lee enfield, 2 ALICE packs and enough food/water to fill both.

Most people where friendly and left with a few extra supplies but 3 people decided to go hostile. They just refused to answer me in chat, even after I gave instructions on how to use it. walked round the corner and they opened fire. The Lee Enfield is basicly a one shot hit. I love it now
AzureAngel17
First Video: Fun with Microwaves 3

Postby AzureAngel17 » 07 Aug 2012, 15:48

The Guardian is reporting that Bohemia Interactive has brought on the mod's creator as project lead for a stand-alone version of DayZ! I'm looking forward to trying this, hopefully they won't do too much to performance requirements, my computer isn't up to most modern game specs.
"You just tried to walk through a door and instead accidentally killed everything."
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 08 Aug 2012, 02:54

AzureAngel17 wrote:The Guardian is reporting that Bohemia Interactive has brought on the mod's creator as project lead for a stand-alone version of DayZ!

Actually Rocket already worked for Bohemia. Up until now DayZ was just a side project and his actual job was working on the multiplayer component of Arma 3.

So he basically just got a promotion.
and now; back to me.
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 08 Aug 2012, 06:57

Trying to get the hang of this game is fucking insane!

I spawned yesterday and spent a few hours exploring and scavenging, had a map and watch! Firsts for me. Then eventually died.

Today found a winchester, and had to leave it because I had no alternate weapons except for a hatchet, and no ammo for it. No idea where I spawned so I couldn't get to my old body to recover my map and watch either.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
ANeMzero

Postby ANeMzero » 08 Aug 2012, 16:58

I haven't actually played since they took out the starting pistol/medicine. Permadeath wasn't so bad when you had a nice little starting package to rely on. Now I'm terrified to log in, especially since I have a broken leg and can't even solve it by murdering some beach-dweller.
and now; back to me.
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 08 Aug 2012, 20:11

I would also like to advise you to stay away from Zeds now.

Fuckers will aggro for anything, crouch walk in the open within 150mtrs of the things, aaaaaaaaand there's an entire horde.

Hatchet is best Zed weapon though, lag still fucks me over but.

Preacher
First Video: The Job

Postby Preacher » 13 Aug 2012, 18:13

Yeah like lone bard said. Go with the hatchet, not only does it silently instakill zombies. But with you absolutly, positivley have to get a bigger gun, you can store it in your inventory without it taking a slot in your main inventory and it makes you look like you have nothing worth looting.

Also, for the love of god have morphine and stay away from stairs and ladders. They're have killed more players than bandits and zombies combined
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
Yeti
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Yeti » 26 Aug 2012, 12:36

I'm loving this game.
It is a bit glitchy, but it is still in alpha, so yeah.
I'm usually on the Savage Reach Gaming server as Yeti.
I usually carry the L85A2 AWS or the M4A1 CCO SD.
There is a guy who frequents the server that sounds very very much like Alex from LRR.
I usually have more words... but not today.
-Yeti
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 27 Aug 2012, 02:20

Last time I logged on my graphics were crapped out thanks to an update, I was in the southern barracks on the airfield, basically the busiest and one of the most dangerous places in the game. I'm a little scared to log in, though I've now got the AKS-74 Kobra so I could try making a break for it

Also, Jeebus90: you're using the Lee Enfield? It draws in every zombie for a few hundred metres, the wiki refers to firing it as "ringing the lunch bell" I once shot a single zombie with an AKM (draws in every zombie for about 150m) on the outskirts of a small town and got totally swarmed. the AKM's an automatic so I was killing more than I was drawing but then I was shot by another player hiding in a nearby treeline.

He clearly had more sense than me
the_lone_bard

Postby the_lone_bard » 29 Aug 2012, 10:35

Fuck the airfield!

I was there today, got the m4 cco with the holo sight and everything.

As well as the p90 as a side arm, even a fucking map for once!

Logged back into a server with 5 people at the airfeild, in the dark, aggro'd some zeds looting a hangar, even with the flashlight on the gun i couldn't spot half of them, took one hit, went unconcious, every zed on the server swarmed me, i swear it.

It took HOURS to walk from my starting point of three valleys, to cherno for all those med supplies, then to nwaf. I'm doing a minecraft and just saying fuck it, I died to some retarded glitch (No idea why, even at max brightness and gamma, at night my flashlight is illuminated, everything else is pitch black) so i'm not going back, even if they fix them.

Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 09 Sep 2012, 11:25

ugh. Tried tolog in today, graphics still borked. I'll leave it a bit longer, maybe try reinstalling drivers. The worst bit is ARMA2 and CO work fine, so I can only test DayZ by risking a quick log on to check and pray no one sees me
Yeti
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Yeti » 11 Sep 2012, 10:00

Played the Lingor map for the first time last night. I think I might like it better...
ANeMzero

Postby ANeMzero » 12 Sep 2012, 19:30

the_lone_bard wrote:even at max brightness and gamma, at night my flashlight is illuminated, everything else is pitch black

That isn't a bug, that is intentional. It was a change made specifically because people were turning their brightness and gamma up to max to get around the darkness of night.
and now; back to me.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 13 Sep 2012, 11:47

After watching Yahtzee give DayZ his grudging respect, it got me thinking:

What was the most memorable way you died?

Mine: I was running across a forest, trying to meet up with some friends and there was a bug at the time that, if you ran over a butchered animal corpse, it teleported you back to where you were when you logged in. Which for me was the top of the outdoor staircase at Rog Castle. I was still at full sprint and threw myself off before I could stop
Preacher
First Video: The Job

Postby Preacher » 14 Sep 2012, 05:46

Ptangmatik wrote:After watching Yahtzee give DayZ his grudging respect, it got me thinking:

What was the most memorable way you died?

Mine: I was running across a forest, trying to meet up with some friends and there was a bug at the time that, if you ran over a butchered animal corpse, it teleported you back to where you were when you logged in. Which for me was the top of the outdoor staircase at Rog Castle. I was still at full sprint and threw myself off before I could stop

My first game, I spawned in Cherno, met a guy who didn't kill me straight away, managed to get into an office building, it was night, he had a crossbow with two bolts, I had a crowbar, after a good ten minute fight with the local zombie population, in which a grand total of 4 zombies were killed (aren't we good), we came under fire from a sniper. Given he was out of ammo, and I still only had crowbar, we decided that Bolivia was a good place to loot next and charged out
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 20 Sep 2012, 04:45

I've been trying to play this the last couple of days. I'm not doing very well... either I die really quickly because a zombie spots me and I can't do anything to defend myself and running is only so effective, or I encounter a player who murders me without a second thought. I'm having trouble finding weapons so there is only so much of a fight I can put up with a bandage, some pain killers and a flashlight.

Today I logged on and it was night. Ended up walking for some time and not finding anything at all, thinking night was hiding all the buildings too effectively I go to a different server and it turns out I was in the debug plains and eventually just stuck my w key down and ran until my dude died.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 20 Sep 2012, 08:10

Ouch Molloy, this game is really harsh if you get lost. I have 2 moniters up so I keep a map open on the other screen, even then I get lost more than I'd like.

I wish I could have a laptop with the map open next to me as I play

Try scouting more barns for a hatchet then check out deer stands (Or get to either zug or rog castle, they're lovely spots, usually few enough zombies to sneak past and 3 different loot buildings, so good weapon chances), there's enough that you generally won't find another player at one. Generally, each stand has 2 zombies, if you're lucky they can be a fair distance from the stand, just don't ever stand up straight or crouch-run anywhere near them unless you're already spotted. If you're laid down and perfectly still, then they should miss you even at close range. At least, they did last time I had to.

Once, at night, I'd just started out and I was trying to get into a house that wasn't actually enterable. I was laid down perfectly still and a damn zombie practically stood on the back of my feet. I was quietly crapping myself as he shuffled slowly by. It probably helped that my feet were at the edge of a fence, he was walking out of the house's garden.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 20 Sep 2012, 09:36

I did look at the map, didn't seem like it would be much use, since I had no way to tell where I actually was. I did have the list of controls on my second monitor for a bit. Remembering things is hard :P

I'm in an okay position now. Found a dead guy with some kind of sniper rifle, binoculars etc so I spent a while on top of a hill and sniped a couple of guys. found more corpses and got some food and ammo for my troubles.
I found a hatchet on my first play through, just couldn't seem to find one, or anything else for a long while haha.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 27 Sep 2012, 03:44

I am really enjoying this game now. My first good life lasted a few days, til I got hit by a zombie and broke my bones. Requested help from some reddit dudes that like to rescue people in the game and died moments before they arrived at my location. I am sure they enjoyed my loot.

My current life I've been lucky enough to find a tent loaded with guns, so I took an AS50 and an L85A2. along with plenty of ammo and morphine. About all I feel I really need now is a ghillie suit.
Ptangmatik

Postby Ptangmatik » 12 May 2013, 15:46

Me and a few lads from a minecraft server I frequent found a rainbow in the outlands

We've built ourselves a little camping spot (that's me buried in the bush)

Return to “Video Games”