Gaming General Chat Thread

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Re: Gaming General Chat Thread

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 01 Aug 2013, 05:10

Well there is going to be an offical one for CKII for converting saves to EUIV.

And in other news, I just bought RPG Maker with my paycheck, so I might post some games I'm thinking about making on here, if y'all don't mind.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 01 Aug 2013, 06:56

Fantazme wrote:Getting slowly addicted to Crusader Kings II. I will become King of Ireland. Then Emperor of Britain.

I too aimed this high once. Ireland fell within 30 years; now, 150 odd years later, I've managed to end up ruling Croatia, Hungary, Brittany, Normandy, south Wales, Cornwall and western France- but Britain, on the other hand...
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 01 Aug 2013, 21:22

Fantazme wrote:Also, is it really true that there's tools to extend saves over the rest of the Paradox games like Universialis and Hearts of Iron?

I have seen people who played through CK1,Eu3,Vic1 and Hoi2; converting the saves into the next game, so it is possible, but would most likely require you to do a lot of modding yourself to fill in the gaps.

But as Valkyrie-Lemons said; there will be an official CK2 to EU4 converter DLC that you get for free if your pre-order Eu4 (it is a CK2 DLC), and it was shown off to work amazingly well
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 01 Aug 2013, 21:31

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:Well there is going to be an offical one for CKII for converting saves to EUIV.

I know that now; my post was made before the announcement. :P
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 01 Aug 2013, 21:31

Just launched a YouTube Let's Play channel. I'm starting off easy with Yet Another Minecraft series, where the goal is to build up an area around my original spawn outwards 1000 blocks in each direction into a safe and civilized region with villages, roads, farms, etc., so it's going to be a long-haul series.

It's definitely going to be a lot of awkward first-time YouTuber commentary for a while, and not very exciting perhaps, but it's a lot like a musician doing every open mic in town for a few months, or a writer churning out the first million words of crap -- I just need to do it to get better, so that when I have some more ambitious projects later on, I can do them justice.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 01 Aug 2013, 21:36

I think that we've gone way beyond "yet another minecraft series" Think you need to change the title to reflect the number of MC LPs out there.
Anyway, nice. Gonna check it out

Edit; Nvm, you didn't actually name the series that
Jimor
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Jimor » 01 Aug 2013, 21:50

Heh, true. Minecraft is the Amazon River in flood stage of YouTube niches. The actual title of the series is Minecraft Rebuild, which is meh, but the only other title I could think of for my concept was MC Civilization, but that has a whole 'nother set of problems and expectations that didn't quite fit.

I think the Kerbal Space Program series I'm planning has some potential to stand out from that pack a bit, but there will be a lot of post-production work after the play recording to make it work. Basic concept is KSP as a reality show, so the commentary will be scripted to match the gameplay. I'll probably "shoot" an entire season before assembling all the pieces together, though, so it will be probably about a month before it debuts.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 05 Aug 2013, 21:54

So, I've been thinking about building a PC for a while, and since I really don't care to buy an Xbone or PS4 any time soon, I figured it'd be a good idea to start thinking about it again. Mentioned it to my dad, and he seemed down with the idea.

The problem is he kinda told me to make it now or never. By no means is this an ultimatum, but it's probably for the best, so I've been getting help with constructing a build. Here's what I have:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/redwing346/saved/26Wc

The friend that was helping me says it looks fine, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has any objections or suggestions for parts. I'd really appreciate the help.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 06 Aug 2013, 03:52

Doesn't look too bad. Personally I prefer the Intel CPUs, but AMD's about the same these days. I'd also go for 4x4GB RAM for slightly better speed, but that's just me been picky.

Only thing I'd really recommend is you get a second hard drive. 7200RPM is fine on a 200GB disk, but on a 1TB HD you're going to find it painfully slow as your main/only drive. SSDs, on the other hand, are insanely fast (I have no idea how I lived without one anymore), and are fairly reasonably priced these days for a small boot/gaming drive.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 06 Aug 2013, 08:50

So I should get something like a 150GB SSD and a 500GB hard drive?

Also, how do I know if my case can support 4x4GB of RAM? I assume it can, but I'm curious.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 06 Aug 2013, 09:08

That's probably good to get started with. You may end up wanting to get a larger drive a year or two down the road, but the prices are constantly dropping, so it won't be too expensive to upgrade if you fill this one up.

For the RAM, you can look at the motherboard to see what it takes. The one you have there has "4 x 240-pin DIMM", so as long as the RAM you're looking at is also 240-pin DIMM (which is, I believe, the most common. It's been a couple years since I studied this stuff though), it should be fine.

Other than that, the only thing I noticed about your build that I might change is the disk drive. I don't know whether or not this is important to you, but for about about #20 more you can get a blu-ray player. I personally don't have one, since I generally don't watch movies on my PC, but if you like to, it's probably worth the money.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 06 Aug 2013, 09:32

Honestly, I don't think I need an optical drive at all. It's there just in case.

Also, I took MG up on his RAM suggestion cuz I can, in fact, do that. Also, I learned what timing was and picked some faster RAM.

I'm still debating the SSD, mostly cuz I'm not a fan of memory management. I'm willing to go for, like, two 500GB if that's any faster. Also, I'm already too close to my budget. Unless there's something else I can minimize, I don't think I can afford it.

Thanks for you help, though, guys.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Aug 2013, 17:10

(SPOILERS FOR FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING)

I was playing through Fire Emblem Awakening, and I finally got to the section where you learn that Marth is actually Chrom's daughter. The Player Character in my game came up to Marth and asked why they were talking alone. Marth said something like 'look into my eyes and you'll understand.' At this point, I said to myself "I've got special eyes" and chuckled.

The game zooms in to Marth's eye to show the symbol. And my character says "Ah! You've got the Brand!"

MY BRAND! strikes again! But it's alright. Marth has special eyes.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 12 Aug 2013, 12:59

I'm back on XCOM and I have this desire to acquire the soundtrack somehow. Other than that I suddenly have a craving to play Morrowind and Oblivion.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 Aug 2013, 13:23

Sorry this is kind of random, but I cannot understand the logic behind "I want the Xbox One, but I can't afford it, so I'll get a PS4." If these people can't afford an Xbone, they shouldn't be buying a console.

However, I think it's more of a case of "I want an Xbox One, I don't want to pay the additional $100, so I'll get a PS4," which is even dumber, in my opinion.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Aug 2013, 13:26

Or, you know, $100 is a lot of money and people actually can't afford the extra cost. The idea that they 'shouldn't be buying a console' just because they can't get the one they want is pretty stupid honestly.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 12 Aug 2013, 13:31

I'm wondering more and more if I'm really cut out for gaming. I often struggle to finish games and it's rare that I feel able to play for really long periods. Nonetheless, I never play games for very brief periods and mighty seldom in the evenings out of a sense that it'... inefficient somehow. Many games (KSP is a good example) really capture my attention when I watch let's plays or whatever, but I lack the creativity for them and won't buy KSP for that reason. I dislike multiplayer, in part because I am conciously awful at every game I try, so never really get any social kick out of gaming, and as someone who has social... Issues and has something of a chip on his shoulder about it, that often feels unpleasant. Some games I really like and will come back to, but I struggle to find games I really like (partly because I don't really know what I like in a game) and am far too cheap, meaning I tend to dither a lot over games that I often feel deserve to be bought. Even when I do buy games, stuff with rave reviews often fails to capture my interest, and that makes me feel bad. Games are not a sphere of existence where I ever feel I have a place or purpose, like a lot of other things, and it's a hobby that's quite hard to dabble in mildly. I don't really know why I'm posting this, other than the fact that I'm feeling even more insecure than usual right this moment.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 Aug 2013, 13:59

Kapol wrote:Or, you know, $100 is a lot of money and people actually can't afford the extra cost. The idea that they 'shouldn't be buying a console' just because they can't get the one they want is pretty stupid honestly.

Honestly, in my opinion, $100 isn't that much when it comes to consoles. If someone wants the Xbone, they should save for it. They shouldn't concede for the PS4; the difference in price isn't enough. It's like, an additional 1.5 game cost.

This is only for the people that WANT an Xbone. These are the only people I care about. I really don't think $100 is high enough to just go with your second choice (in console buying).

Also, this mindset is for people trying to buy a console at launch. I can't make any assumptions outside of that.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 12 Aug 2013, 14:15

If they want one and can't afford it RIGHT NOW, they should save up for it. Honestly, why do you want one so badly at release anyway? If anything you should be AVOIDING the release consoles for the first 3-4 years. That's what I'll be doing.

The first wave is always, always the beta. Been that way since PS1. I'll wait until the PS4 slim and people should wait until the XBone variation of whatever they do to fix the things dying in 6 months and overheating.

Another thing is, what games are honestly good enough that you have to get a day one console for in the first place?

I can wait and I can wait long!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Aug 2013, 14:20

Vigafre wrote:Honestly, in my opinion, $100 isn't that much when it comes to consoles. If someone wants the Xbone, they should save for it. They shouldn't concede for the PS4; the difference in price isn't enough. It's like, an additional 1.5 game cost.

This is only for the people that WANT an Xbone. These are the only people I care about. I really don't think $100 is high enough to just go with your second choice (in console buying).

Also, this mindset is for people trying to buy a console at launch. I can't make any assumptions outside of that.

Except $100 is still 1/4th the price of another full PS4. It's a bit under half the price of a PSV. A little over half the price of a 3DS. It's well on the way to a Wii U. Even if you're not interested in getting other systems, that's $20 away from getting 2 full games for the PS4.

Compare that to actually getting a Xbone. Neat, you saved up and got one. But now you can't buy a single game unless you save up another $60, since it isn't backwards compatible.

$100 is a lot of money when it comes to just about anything. So people might prefer to get an Xbone. But if they do want to get a system, then they're going to get the one they can actually afford to get and get use out of. It's also worth mentioning that a lot of games are going to come out for both anyways, so getting one over the other is based on the few exclusives and preferences. And preference come second to actually being able to afford the thing.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 Aug 2013, 14:26

What about friends? If someone's friends are all getting an Xbone, I'm sure that would heavily influence their preference. And I never said they should only save until the could afford the console. They should be saving until they can COMFORTABLY buy the console.

Also, this is a console we're talking about here. Consoles are supposed to last for 4 years or more. People shouldn't be buying a console they don't actually want and deal with it for 4 years. That just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe this comes from me viewing gaming completely as a luxury, so I never settle for less than I actually want, since I'll have to settle for less for half a decade or more.

If someone's willing to buy a PS4 because they didn't have the $100 for an Xbone, they didn't really want the Xbone. If that's true, that's fine. I'm just tired of people clamoring to get Microsoft to nix the Kinect and lower the price. They're trying to make the Xbone equivalent to the PS4, but it isn't the same thing, and it shouldn't be the same thing. Don't want the Kinect? Alright, don't buy the damn thing. The Xbone has Kinect, and if you don't want it, deal with it.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 12 Aug 2013, 14:34

Darkobra wrote:If they want one and can't afford it RIGHT NOW, they should save up for it. Honestly, why do you want one so badly at release anyway? If anything you should be AVOIDING the release consoles for the first 3-4 years. That's what I'll be doing.

The first wave is always, always the beta. Been that way since PS1. I'll wait until the PS4 slim and people should wait until the XBone variation of whatever they do to fix the things dying in 6 months and overheating.

SO MUCH THIS; I've been ranting about paying customers being 'gamma testers' for well-nigh a decade now...for software; and you wanna know why I don't get into console gaming much? Same reason; I waited until the life-cycle was almost over before getting a PS3...and mostly it's an occasional DVD/BluRay player; loved Journey, but that's about it.

Another thing is, what games are honestly good enough that you have to get a day one console for in the first place?

More of the same; preach it, brutha!

I can wait and I can wait long!

:shock: *bites tongue*
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 12 Aug 2013, 14:40

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 12 Aug 2013, 14:46

Vigafre wrote:What about friends? If someone's friends are all getting an Xbone, I'm sure that would heavily influence their preference. And I never said they should only save until the could afford the console. They should be saving until they can COMFORTABLY buy the console.

Unless, you know, they don't actually care about playing with friends. Especially since, for either system, that's another $60 a year. And there's nothing wrong with saving, but on the same note that can add quite a bit of time to wait depending on employment, family situation, etc. For some people, that time waiting isn't worth it. They'd rather just get a system now.

Also, this is a console we're talking about here. Consoles are supposed to last for 4 years or more. People shouldn't be buying a console they don't actually want and deal with it for 4 years. That just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe this comes from me viewing gaming completely as a luxury, so I never settle for less than I actually want, since I'll have to settle for less for half a decade or more.

I'm sure most gamers want BOTH consoles. Just because they prefer getting a XBone doesn't necessarily mean they're actively getting something they dislike by 'settling' for a PS4. It's likely that a lot of those people will be getting an Xbone later on it's life cycle, when it's cheaper or they have more money available to them. This isn't an all or nothing decision.

If someone's willing to buy a PS4 because they didn't have the $100 for an Xbone, they didn't really want the Xbone. If that's true, that's fine. I'm just tired of people clamoring to get Microsoft to nix the Kinect and lower the price. They're trying to make the Xbone equivalent to the PS4, but it isn't the same thing, and it shouldn't be the same thing. Don't want the Kinect? Alright, don't buy the damn thing. The Xbone has Kinect, and if you don't want it, deal with it.

Getting rid of the Kinect is a valid desire if the person is a potential paying customer. I agree that the Xbone has the Kinect and that separates the two. I don't think that's a bad thing, though it means it'll be a while before I get one myself (due to funds available). Oh well. But I think it's fair of people to say they'd be willing to purchase a product if the company changes certain aspects of it as long as they actually follow through on it.

I honestly don't care that much, or even disagree with you to any major degree. But the way you put it originally was, to be completely honest, kinda dickish. The following posts didn't give off that same feeling, but that was my original reaction to your first post on the issue. I know a lot of people where $100 makes a MAJOR difference in pretty much anything. So the way you put the desire to save money by buying a roughly equivalent product, even if it's not one they prefer, came off as rude to me.

That said, I actually agree with Jack and all them. Buying a console at launch is rarely a good idea. I personally wait until about a year before I get a system unless a situation to get one manages to just work itself out. The only system I bought at launch was a Wii back when I was much younger. And it turned out to be a major mistake.
Vigafre

Postby Vigafre » 12 Aug 2013, 14:54

I agree with Kobra, empath, Jack, and you as well. This gen is the first time I'd ever be in a position to buy a game console at launch, but I decided against it (and I just bought a PC instead).

Also, I can see how my first post was kind of dickish. I don't take back anything, but I could have worded it better. I have just seen so many people demanding MS to get rid of the Kinect as a mandatory purchase*, which frankly pisses me off (I'd get into why, but that's a whole different can of worms).

However, like I said, I don't think people are doing themselves any favors by going for their second choice, especially after how long this console cycle was.

*In case you haven't heard, the Kinect is now not required AT ALL to run the Xbone. You can have it completely unplugged and the system will work. I saw a comment on an article for this piece of news, and it led to my initial post.

Return to “Video Games”