KickStarting!

News and Announcements about LoadingReadyRun
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: KickStarting!

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Sep 2013, 19:47

JackSlack wrote:Lord Hosk you mad bastard.

I can't wait to hear what you have planned for those shirts.

To be honest, I dont want the shirts and will likely change to a lower, or rather multiple lower tiers and over fund those rewards, once they figure out how to do that.

Lady Hosk and I discussed how much we could afford, and I twisted her arm a little for the comedy ;) but I dont know what I would do with between 100 and 1000 shirts.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 14 Sep 2013, 20:27

Hmm.

Wonder how much I can save in a month, then?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Sep 2013, 20:32

LOL... I will absolutely clear the way if someone else wants the shirts...
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Ad Vurt
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Ad Vurt » 14 Sep 2013, 20:44

I saw "Last Season of Sketches" and I legitimately felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. What I had been a regular viewer of for what must be about 7 or 8 years now is coming to a close...

I'll likely pledge when I get some money, but for now... just, wow.

Also, am I right in saying that the deadline for this Kickstarter is LRR's 10th anniversary?
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 14 Sep 2013, 20:49

JackSlack wrote:I can't wait to hear what you have planned for those shirts.

It's an interesting philosophical question... Which would be worse? A club soda disguised as a WiiPlay shirt, or a WiiPlay shirt disguised as a club soda?

Also, here's a better link for the Q&A stream, that skips the half-hour of "going live in half an hour" graphic.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 14 Sep 2013, 21:28

Lord Hosk wrote:

To be honest, I dont want the shirts and will likely change to a lower, or rather multiple lower tiers and over fund those rewards, once they figure out how to do that.

Lady Hosk and I discussed how much we could afford, and I twisted her arm a little for the comedy ;) but I dont know what I would do with between 100 and 1000 shirts.

I'll happily buy one off you.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 14 Sep 2013, 21:34

Well, I'm back from D&D, and have caught up on all the news and watched the stream. Like everyone else, I'm sad it's ending, but some of that is counteracted by know that there will (probably) be another year of LRR. Seeing the picture from the PAX panel announcing the last season of sketches had me worried that there were only a few months left. I'm also looking forward to seeing what LRR can come up with for their final year, especially with the ability to focus more on the sketches.

So while I can't give much (unpublished novelist and all that) I'll certainly be throwing a few dollars your way.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 15 Sep 2013, 01:14

I'm not sure how to take this news. Undoubtedly the reasoning is perfectly sound - the sketches just aren't economically viable anymore and they're not even quite worth their while as a loss leader. That was all fine when you were amateurs, but you're professionals now, you have to take into account what is the best for the business of LRR.

However, I would really like to see something more concrete than 'we might keep doing the odd sketch but just not regularly' going forward. Ultimately you guys are fantastic at sketch comedy and I feel like doing them irregularly will just lead to you not doing them at all because you have no obligation to and have other things in your plate, which would be a really sad thing to see happen. Obviously once a week is not viable anymore, but it would be great if you committed to doing it maybe once a month (maybe a cH style show?).

Obviously that would be more likely if you had a series funded by someone like PA or the Escapist, but I suppose you do have a whole year to negotiate that!

Until then, I will see what I can afford/what of the rewards I REALLY want :)
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Kieran E
First Video: Just Drive

Postby Kieran E » 15 Sep 2013, 01:44

Exciting news, if one which has stirred ambivalent feelings within me, particularly as I have been on a bit of an LRR feast at the moment - For years I've watched Unskippable and the odd LRR sketch, but for some reason this past month I've gone on a binge and watched near the entire back catalogue of LRR, ENN, Checkpoint, Stripsearch, Loading Time and Feed Dump, and as funny as some of the early stuff is, you guys have produced some absolute gold in the last few years, as well as having higher production values.
It really feels like you guys are in your prime, comedically and professionally, so I expect these new projects will be awesome.

It'll be a shame to see less regular sketch comedy, but my secret hope is that even with all your other projects, whatever they may end up being, you keep unwittingly coming up with awesome idea that you just cannot sit on and end up shooting a sketch fairly often, even if not like clockwork.

Now, to Pledge!
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 15 Sep 2013, 01:50

Kieran E wrote:Now, to Pledge!

On the plus side, welcome to the fora, Kieran Excitement! (I'm going to assume the E is for excitement.)
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 15 Sep 2013, 03:20

iamafish wrote:However, I would really like to see something more concrete than 'we might keep doing the odd sketch but just not regularly' going forward.

Yeah, I admit, this is my feeling too. :(

It's one thing to be kickstarting the big new thing, and while we're losing the sketch show, we're gaining something new. It's another to just be kicking the swansong, without knowing what's going to come next.
Kieran E
First Video: Just Drive

Postby Kieran E » 15 Sep 2013, 04:27

JackSlack wrote:
Kieran E wrote:Now, to Pledge!

On the plus side, welcome to the fora, Kieran Excitement! (I'm going to assume the E is for excitement.)

Quite so, quite so. Or possibly Exciprenhension, the combination of excitement and apprehension (which I'm sure there's already a word for).

I do find something insidious in how appealing I find Kickstarter backer T-shirts though; I swear I've come close to backing something I didn't really care about (unlike funding more LRR sketches) because I wanted a T-shirt. I've only had my LRR T-shirt a month, and now I really really want another version? Some dark sorcery at work.

Many thanks for the welcome Mr Slack.
Tufty
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby Tufty » 15 Sep 2013, 06:24

Finally, having too many email addresses has paid off - Kickstarter lets you create multiple accounts and thus back multiple reward tiers that way. Will now be getting all the merch, a gaming session and a tennis ball. Very pleased indeed.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Sep 2013, 07:00

Hello, Kieranzoid person!

Just made my pledge; could only really afford $25 what with uni about to rear its ugly head, but might be able to chip in again at a later date. Might.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 15 Sep 2013, 07:44

Personally, I'm pretty excited to see this and whatever comes next for LRR. The last couple seasons have felt... thin, like butter spread over too much bread. If I know LRR, we're going to see a year's worth of kick-ass sketches, and before you know it they'll be on to something even more exciting.

People have a way of dreading change rather than anticipating the future, but you guys (LRR) always seem to go from strength to strength and push the limit f what you can do. Who knows, maybe after this year it's a season-long extended-length sitcom like cH S1? or a feature film? OR more great things through contract work? Whatever it is, I'm excited to see.

Now, to see what sort of support level I can spring for - which one has the tote bag?
Grescheks
First Video: Snakes on the Town

Postby Grescheks » 15 Sep 2013, 09:30

King Kool wrote:
Lord Hosk wrote:

I'll happily buy one off you.

...why not buy one off the LRRstore now then?

Also, I'm pretty excited about this. I've personally always wondered how much more awesome LRR would be with a bigger budget and being able to focus more on their work, and this seems like a great way to see that happen. And if Strip Search has taught us anything, it's that the LRR crew is awesome even when they try new things, so whatever comes next is sure to be awesome as well. Already pledged (not that much, since I don't have that much free cash), and I sincerely hope anyone who's enjoyed LRR for a few years now considers pledging as well.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Sep 2013, 09:44

The Loading Ready Store no longer stocks the Wii Play shirts. When they moved stock to the PA warehouse and made the deal with them to handle everything, those shirts were not included, since they dont sell.

[–]Graham_LRR
Foxmar
First Video: The Break

Postby Foxmar » 15 Sep 2013, 09:58

I actually was wanting to buy one but since it was never in the store I didn't lol Wanted it as a joke.
Tufty
First Video: Fear Itself

Postby Tufty » 15 Sep 2013, 10:07

Foxmar wrote:I actually was wanting to buy one but since it was never in the store I didn't lol Wanted it as a joke.

Well, I believe Hosk has changed tiers, so you can have All Of The Shirts if you've got $2500 Canadian to burn ;-)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 Sep 2013, 10:12

Trust me. If I had that much to spare, it would be ALREADY BE MINE.
a winner is you. - Ash
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 15 Sep 2013, 10:16

King Kool wrote:Trust me. If I had that much to spare, it would be ALREADY BE MINE.

But the question still stands - What would you do with all those shirts?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Sep 2013, 10:25

I would pass them out at future PAX with a note on them that said "take this to the Loading Ready Run Booth for a special prize. Then leave a real box of magic cards or some "Yummies" snack cakes or something. Like a real "reward" be at the same time get people to show up at their booth and ask about it.

For all the things that LRR is great at, self promotion is not their strong thing (although they are getting better)

[–]Graham_LRR
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 15 Sep 2013, 10:29

Well, this is the first KickStarter I've ever supported, so that should say something about what I think about the fine folks at LRR. I just wanted to make a point about something to everyone here who may not be old enough for this to be a thing. It doesn't always matter how much you love doing something, or how long you have done it, sometimes you have to move on to new things in your life instead of doing the same things forever.

I used to run my own small consulting company, I enjoyed it very much, but as life changed, so did my career trajectory and as a result of that I had to give up my company and do something else. For LRR, they are getting older and some of them might be wondering how they can support a family, expand their business, or maybe just not have to worry as much about making ends meet. They have to do what's best for them, they have now made a name for themselves as a production house, a creative team, doing marketing things for several large companies, etc.

They still want to do what they do but they aren't teenagers with a weekend hobby, or art students with a lot of free time, they are almost as old as I am (ok, close to?, in the same generation as?). The only way that we get to continue enjoying all the aspects of LRR is if they can afford to keep doing it. If they have to collapse and all start going to work for other companies because they can't afford to keep doing business as usual, I would rather they do this than something else. It's a change, but not even that huge of a change in my opinion given the wide range of LRR services I enjoy, and if this change, and my support to their KS means I get to make more sarcastic comments on their Twitch channel or whatever, then that's what I'll do.

This post is probably waxing far too long and thoughtful here, but I want everyone to realize that this isn't them letting down their fans, this is them trying to make sure that their fans still get LRR funny on a regular basis because if they keep doing things the way they are, they will be stressed, broke and desperate, probably not things that are ideal for being humorous, if the KS succeeds, which I hope it does and it's looking pretty solid so far, they can actually breathe, enjoy life a bit and have more fun themselves. After all the enjoyment we've gotten out of them, I think it's fair that we help them live their dream.

May the road rise up to meet you LRR on this and all your future endeavors and I will support you any way that I can.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 15 Sep 2013, 10:32

Lord Hosk wrote:I would pass them out at future PAX with a note on them that said "take this to the Loading Ready Run Booth for a special prize. Then leave a real box of magic cards or some "Yummies" snack cakes or something. Like a real "reward" be at the same time get people to show up at their booth and ask about it.

For all the things that LRR is great at, self promotion is not their strong thing (although they are getting better)

And thus sending all the shirts RIGHT BACK TO LRR! Excellent idea!

Ok King Kool - what are YOU doing with those shirts?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 15 Sep 2013, 10:33

I'd just see who was the most famous person I could get to accept and wear one.
a winner is you. - Ash

Return to “Site News”