The General Chat thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: The General Chat thread

Postby Duckay » 13 Nov 2013, 15:17

The thing is that it isn't an all-female thing. I think in my experience that kind of person you're talking about was typically female, but also only a small number of people within the class.

I don't know what it is behind it because I've never been that type of person, but I guess they just have that personality type. Why that personality type seems to be more common in women than in men I assume is a combination of women feeling more free to emotionally express themselves, and women learning through their lives that they may not be taken as seriously as men with the same amount of work. I don't honestly know, though.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 Nov 2013, 15:32

I got stressed. I worked hard. I cared. I succeeded. Thing is, I never showed it to anyone else. But I felt the pressures to do well and get it aced first time because I was building my career, my life and my love.

Only a handful of people will ever do anything with their education. The majority sit around and wait for someone else that HAS done all the work to hire them, then complain there are no jobs.

The others? They find work. They make work. There's PLENTY of jobs out there. Just because there are no jobs next to your house doesn't mean there aren't any jobs anywhere in the world.

I've definitely not noticed a gender difference. Everyone that wanted to make the best of their education definitely felt the pressure.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 13 Nov 2013, 15:33

Because if I didn't do well, my mom would tell me that I was lazy, irresponsible, possibly grounded, and that my horrible friends were dragging me down and leeching off me.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 13 Nov 2013, 15:59

I worried about every assignment I submitted in high school, even though I got A's almost exclusively. I can't speak to a gender divide, but it's just the way I've always been. I'm not a pessimist, but I would always fret about the possibility of failure.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 13 Nov 2013, 16:47

My parents were similar. If I didn't eat my meat, I couldn't have any pudding, as it were.

Really I think it has more to do with upbringing. Perhaps we should examine how young girls are raised, if it's indeed true that they worry more than boys.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
ex-Lurker
First Video: 'Skeeterpellant

Postby ex-Lurker » 13 Nov 2013, 20:40

It could also just be that there are more girls than guys, especially in post-secondary institutions, males tend to be outnumbered a lot.
Totally accurate, except for all the times I'm not.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Nov 2013, 04:36

There are jobs out there.
Just there are a lot more people going for those jobs.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 14 Nov 2013, 13:20

So I'm prepping for Desert Bus 007 by watching a bunch of DB6 videos on Youtube.

It's a shame I don't have any room in my budget for donations, but I'm going to try and help by watching and pimping it out as much as possible.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2013, 13:38

Merrymaker_Mortalis wrote:There are jobs out there.
Just there are a lot more people going for those jobs.

There are jobs out there that very few people are going for.
The just tend to be very niche, highly skilled/technical, not widely known, and/or in inconvenient locations.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 14 Nov 2013, 15:10

...or all of the above...
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 14 Nov 2013, 15:53

My industry is chronically understaffed. Take from that what you will.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 14 Nov 2013, 16:18

Your industry is also chronically underpaid, which is a shame.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 14 Nov 2013, 16:31

It's not a case of what you know, but rather who you know.

Essentially every job I've ever had is either because I know the person who gave me the job, or someone I know put in a good word for me.

It's unfair, I know, but its just how the world works.

Once you get your foot in the door, then you can be hired on your own merits by other people.
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Nov 2013, 16:34

Your industry tends to be criminally underfunded. The most vulnerable among us, those who need the most help, are easiest to step on.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 14 Nov 2013, 22:07

Master Gunner wrote:Your industry is also chronically underpaid, which is a shame.

Lord Hosk wrote:Your industry tends to be criminally underfunded. The most vulnerable among us, those who need the most help, are easiest to step on.

Yeah, you combine those two factors with the fact that the work simply doesn't appeal to a lot of people at the best of times, and you get an industry no one wants to work in.

Well, obviously not no one. But you see the point.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 15 Nov 2013, 12:24

Darkobra wrote:I got stressed. I worked hard. I cared. I succeeded. Thing is, I never showed it to anyone else. But I felt the pressures to do well and get it aced first time because I was building my career, my life and my love.

Only a handful of people will ever do anything with their education. The majority sit around and wait for someone else that HAS done all the work to hire them, then complain there are no jobs.

The others? They find work. They make work. There's PLENTY of jobs out there. Just because there are no jobs next to your house doesn't mean there aren't any jobs anywhere in the world.

I've definitely not noticed a gender difference. Everyone that wanted to make the best of their education definitely felt the pressure.

I'm reminded of that study in Freakonomics: to cut it very short, a large group of high school age kids could apply to move schools, but where they moved to was randomised so they might not end up at a 'better' school. When they ran the numbers on their test scores the following year, they found that the people who had applied to move schools across the board performed better, regardless of whether they had ended up in a better or worse school than before, simply because these were the kind of people who cared enough about their education to take a shot at getting a new and different one. The people who care enough always find away, was their essential point.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Valkyrie-Lemons
First Video: Spoken Word

Postby Valkyrie-Lemons » 15 Nov 2013, 13:26

So I'm the kind of guy who doesn't have that many friends, or at least I don't get talked to that much, as I'm a sort of 'back-up' friend to most people. Not that I particularly mind, I'm very happy if I'm on my own.

But with this in mind, today was quite a pleasant surprise. I actually had multiple people competing for my attention to the point where someone said (although in a jokey way) "Stop hogging him all to yourself!". Even people I never actually talked to in class before came up to me to talk to me.

It was actually nice to be such hot property for once, although I really have no idea why I suddenly became so 'popular'. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it humbling that I'm apparently so liked.

Maybe it's because I'm one of the most vocal people in class, but I thought people would have got tired of me talking rather than want me to talk more. X3
Prospero101 wrote:...is it weird that I REALLY hope that someday I say something memorable enough to be quoted in someone else's signature?

I'm trying this 'Twitter' thing, if you just want to send a message/question/joke, please send it to: @Valkyrie_Lemons , thanks!
Psycat Aurora
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Psycat Aurora » 15 Nov 2013, 17:28

Just sent off that animation test. If I hear back, it'll probably be Monday. Wish me luck.
Deviantart: Psycat-Aurora
Instagram: @psycataurora
Tumblr: Psycat Aurora
Twitter: @Psycat_Aurora
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Nov 2013, 05:41

Valkyrie-Lemons wrote:So I'm the kind of guy who doesn't have that many friends, or at least I don't get talked to that much, as I'm a sort of 'back-up' friend to most people. Not that I particularly mind, I'm very happy if I'm on my own.

But with this in mind, today was quite a pleasant surprise. I actually had multiple people competing for my attention to the point where someone said (although in a jokey way) "Stop hogging him all to yourself!". Even people I never actually talked to in class before came up to me to talk to me.

It was actually nice to be such hot property for once, although I really have no idea why I suddenly became so 'popular'. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it humbling that I'm apparently so liked.

Maybe it's because I'm one of the most vocal people in class, but I thought people would have got tired of me talking rather than want me to talk more. X3

I'm actually starting to have a bit of a problem with a similar issue. Like you, I'm not blessed with dozens of friends, but I'm frequently sought out by people on my course because I understand the material of a technical and difficult course pretty well and am known as quite a smart guy. It's quite nice to have people asking you stuff and making me feel like I have a place, but at the same time I really don't want to become known as someone you would only speak to for coursework advice rather than, say, because you want to talk to them.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 17 Nov 2013, 16:14

So, on a whim, I was looking at my video page on Youtube. I sometimes look at the views to see what's up. Somehow, both of the "Fear of Matt" videos I posted had a huge spike in views. In confusion, I check my analytics page. Between Oct. 14 and Oct. 21, the short version of "Fear of Matt" gained about 4,000 views. The longer version gained about 3,000. Since I'm pretty sure you guys didn't watch it that much, I checked the playback locations. The longer one spiked from some German site, and the shorter version from Buzzfeed.

How the hell did Buzzfeed find this? Also, why was it posted?

After a quick search, someone posted an article about weird Youtube videos and linked a Reddit related Youtube thing, which is also a subreddit. Turns out Dared00 posted it there.

So, uh, thanks Dared.

This post was a little less interesting after I wrote it. I apologize if you actually read it.
empath

Postby empath » 17 Nov 2013, 18:24

It's not me; I swear I've only watched the "Fear of Matt, Endurance Edition" three or four times in the past couple of months! ;)

But yeah, props to the lucky random 'discovery'...now I just wish you'd monetized your channel, so my kudos could be over more concrete things. :?
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 17 Nov 2013, 18:40

As much as I would like monetizing my channel, it just wouldn't feel right. Besides the fact that I used a song under copyright, I blatantly ripped off Alex's idea, so earning money from that would feel wrong.

Honestly, there's nothing on my channel I feel deserves money, even the stuff I own completely. :l
empath

Postby empath » 17 Nov 2013, 22:57

I know, right? *sigh*
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 19 Nov 2013, 08:05

Mar del Plata Film Fest Chronicles Day #1

#1 The Critic (Argentina, 2013)
An embittered film critic self-diagnosed with "maladie du cinema" (he's seen so many films that reality has become one big cliche) finds his world shaken when he meets a cute-n-quirky cleptomaniac. Romcom stuff ensues, much to the critic's chagrin, whose discomfort with romance and its tropes is the source of some humor.

#2 Illiterate (Chile, 2013)
A 20-something girl teaches a 50-something shut-in woman how to read so she can finally read the letter her dad left her years ago. Girl has like one drink and they're suddenly bonding and awkwardly making out. Then they go back to character study mode and never address the issue. Maybe I'm missing a social/political commentary regarding Chilean society. I dunno. Fuck it.

#3 R100 (Japan, 2013)
A man contracts an elite squad of sexy S&M dominatrixes to spontaneously burst into his life any time, any place and beat the crap out of him. At the end of every beating his face blows up like a balloon and radiates CGI waves of pleasure. WTF delirium.

Mar del Plata Film Fest Chronicles Day #2

#4 Historias de cronopios y de famas (Argentina, 2013)
Anthology film containing 10 animated shorts adapting 10 short stories/parables from author Julio Cortázar. Gorgeous style but animation is nothing to write home about, it's your usual puppety Flash animation. And obviously some shorts are interesting while others are boring-ass.

#5 Videoclub (Chile, 2013)
A bunch of kids hide it out in a videoclub during a zombie outbreak in 1992. Think Clerks meets (Chilean) zombies, which are the running, invincible, not particularly rotten, tool-wielding and even talkative kind. Movie gets points for enthusiasm and for showcasing the first pair of naked breasts I've seen in the festival so far, which is disturbingly lacking on artsy nudity this year.

Mar del Plata Film Fest Chronicles Day #3

#6 The Utility of a Magazine Rack (Argentina, 2013)
Continous, fixed 115 minute camera angle of an interviewer and an interviewee. No, really. It's actually entertaining and works out like a theater play. Very good performances and great dialogue.

#7 Lumpen (Argentina, 2013)
No, no, no.

#8 The Big Lebowski (US, 1998)
I've seen the movie at least a dozen times but I wanted to go watch the thing at the theater (in 35mm!). Obviously a bad move since it'll end up being the best thing I'll see this year at the festival.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 19 Nov 2013, 22:03

Mar del Plata Film Fest Chronicles Day #4

#9 7 Salamanders (Argentina, 2013)
Instructions for summoning the devil Zupay in 7 easy steps in the Argentine wilderness according to folklore.

#10 The Prodigal (Argentina, 1945)
Boring melodrama. Turns out Evita is in it, apparently the government had the movie pulled off the market once she took to politics.

Return to “General Discussion”