Ways to Ruin a Job interview

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 16 Nov 2007, 18:30

browncoat wrote:If Andy doesn't watch out, Matt will be the new master actor ^^
AHAHA AHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I haven't laughed so much since underpantaloons.
Thanks.
i dont know what's happening anymore
*Chwoka*

Postby *Chwoka* » 16 Nov 2007, 18:32

The punch at the beginning really left me waiting for more violence, but it didn't happen as much as I expected it.
PLEASE IGNORE THE STARS. THEY DOES NOT GRANT YOU INVINCIBILITY.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Nov 2007, 18:40

Lacerta wrote:Matt was great for this role! I would have expected a part with so many crotch-jokes to go to Morgan normally.

And it was going to, but Morgan had a scheduling conflict.
He agrees however, Matt did a stellar job.

Sorry about the 4:40 music hiccup folks, it shouldn't be there. I may fix it.
Quovak

Postby Quovak » 16 Nov 2007, 18:45

I don't see why so many people consider it too long. Not all of the jokes worked, but the fact that it's an X ways to Y makes up for that. These videos, and this one especially, remind me of the Airplane technique of throwing so many jokes at you that even though only half of them actually work the overall impression is that the video was really funny, which I definitely worked here.

4:40 was distracting, though. I think it would have been a lot less distracting for the video to end mid-music. The ideal thing, though, probably would have been to cut out one or two of the ways to get the timing closer.
anotherearth

Postby anotherearth » 16 Nov 2007, 22:43

Graham wrote:
Number09 wrote:My only question: where was this shot?

A local business who were very friendly and cooperative, but didn't especially want their name in the video. Understandably so, I'd say!
Great location though!

Awesome video!!!
I've been LRR-less for over a month due to some hardware failures, and it is SO good to be back seeing these vids again. I've really missed it.
Matt did a GREAT job in this vid although I'm sure I'll have nightmares from the "not dressed" bit.
To those that say it was "too long", I say it was not long enough! How can you complain about it being too long??? What, like you can't take 5:14 out of your super busy lives to view a LRR vid???
As for the location where the vid was shot.... Graham -you might want to go back and blur the company web addy from the background shots. It's printed on the office windows. But, yeah, it was a cool location.
Again, awesome job!
It's good to be back!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 16 Nov 2007, 23:05

Quovak wrote:I don't see why so many people consider it too long. Not all of the jokes worked, but the fact that it's an X ways to Y makes up for that. These videos, and this one especially, remind me of the Airplane technique of throwing so many jokes at you that even though only half of them actually work the overall impression is that the video was really funny, which I definitely worked here.

I was about to say something about the length as well until I read Quovak's comment. Indeed, rapid fire jokes in quick succession does make up for any that might not go over well. However, the punching-people-out bit was done two or three times too many.

I especially liked the "Past Experience" section. Fine acting all around throughout the vid.

New glasses, Matt? They look good on you. And was that your fist in the Sam Rami shot?
dark_realm
Aussie Auto Annihilator

Postby dark_realm » 16 Nov 2007, 23:40

i really liked the punches in this, for the reason that they looked quite real.. good job!! also it was fairly good to see an x ways to y again!
CaPpY wrote:dark_realm really is a jerk....
Faye

Postby Faye » 16 Nov 2007, 23:48

Laugh out loud funny. I LOVE "X ways to Y." The background music is the greatest, also.

Awesome job!!!!

Faye.

p.s. speaking of jobs, I need a new one >.>
DP

Postby DP » 17 Nov 2007, 00:05

3 Things:

1) Good use of action. Top to bottom, well done. It's hard to do, but you nailed it this time. And on that note...
2) Matt's really come into his own with this video. Actually he's been pretty awesome in the last few I've seen him in. Go Matt!
3) Hilarious that he "got hired" in the end, if only because that's the way it ACTUALLY IS in Victoria right now. Hell, even I'm working full time now. The world is a fucked up place.
Lavos
Lavos
First Video: 1337

Postby Lavos » 17 Nov 2007, 00:20

Now with real criticizing.
The video was wayy too long and in a wayy enclosed space. It kind of gets boring after awhile.
The whole board thing was nice, but using it everytime gets a little tiring. Not the strongest x ways to y in my opinion.
i dont know what's happening anymore
Casandro

Finally usefull advices

Postby Casandro » 17 Nov 2007, 02:06

Finally some usefull advices since I'm pondering to apply for a job in Canada in a few years.
Oxford
First Video: The Whatever Thing

Postby Oxford » 17 Nov 2007, 04:59

Maybe there could be a whole series of these. You know, how to ruin a Beer Store interview, how to ruin a UN interview, how to ruin an Army interview, a LRR interview, a... The list goes on and on!
9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of 10 people 1 American will always disagree with the other 9.
Woland

More importantly....

Postby Woland » 17 Nov 2007, 08:16

Any criticisms I had have all been addressed with already.

More importantly...
Matt completely pwned this video; he made it his bitch in so many ways. Considering that he came in late in the process (I assume, since it was supposed to be for Morgan originally). I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but it was good to see so much of Matt on screen. I say this because, before now, I just sort of thought Matt really was there only because of his driver's license (considering how much crap he is dealt in the podcasts), but this video proved that he actually belongs on the site. A long overdue proof of this actor.

How much rehearsal ddid it take to get overall performance to the point where you were all happy with it?
Tam23

Postby Tam23 » 17 Nov 2007, 09:35

You people who think the video is too long are obviously suffering from the presently-occuring phenomenon of the incredible shrinking attention span... 5:14 is long???

Great job guys :D
"Il fine giustifica i mezzi"
~Machiavelli
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 17 Nov 2007, 10:04

It's not that 5:14 is a long time. It's that by 3 minutes in you're kinda like, "Ok, I get it, he's a bad employee. End of video." The jokes seemed to get repetitive after a while. That's all.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 17 Nov 2007, 10:08

Harsh! I'd like to see you do better.
I wasn't a big fan of this vid either though, the 'team player' bit /was/ hillarious however. Also, nice punt of the box of files. Expertly done!
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 17 Nov 2007, 10:21

Dr Frankenjam wrote:

But... I was serious... : (

Matt rocked this video!
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Nov 2007, 11:52

Tam23 wrote:You people who think the video is too long are obviously suffering from the presently-occuring phenomenon of the incredible shrinking attention span... 5:14 is long???

It wasn't too long due to not wanting to sit through 5:14, hell, I'd gladly watch 514 hours of LRR, but only if they kept it funny all the way through, and that was the problem. It was a tad long to keep up a consistent level of funniness. After the 'Team player' bit, I found it started to become a bit more repetitive and predictable, and a bit less funny. If they had managed to take out a couple extra scenes without messing with the flow of the vid, it would of been much more hilarious.
As it stands though, still think it was a great vid overall, and Matt was awesome.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 17 Nov 2007, 11:53

Master Gunner wrote:It was a tad long to keep up a consistent level of funniness.

I see what you're saying.
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 17 Nov 2007, 11:57

Yeah I agree with that, X ways to Y's need to be really snappy it seems to stay the sort of level you're going for.
Dr Frankenjam

Postby Dr Frankenjam » 17 Nov 2007, 12:20

browncoat wrote:
Dr Frankenjam wrote:

But... I was serious... : (

Matt rocked this video!

Oh... shit... um... sorry >_<
Beta-guy

Postby Beta-guy » 17 Nov 2007, 13:58

I'm going job hunting this week, so I SHOULDN'T do what I saw?:P seriously that was a cool video :)
Shenny_Lee

Postby Shenny_Lee » 17 Nov 2007, 15:05

lots of people were complaining about the length, it wasn't the length of the video for me so much as the music being reaaaally repetitive. I get it though, it's the music for these vids and you can't change it.
so I guess that makes it too long after all? I'm talking in circles...lol

anyhoo...Matt being a team player = totally random and amusing!
Tam23

Postby Tam23 » 17 Nov 2007, 19:33

Master Gunner wrote:
Tam23 wrote:You people who think the video is too long are obviously suffering from the presently-occuring phenomenon of the incredible shrinking attention span... 5:14 is long???

It wasn't too long due to not wanting to sit through 5:14, hell, I'd gladly watch 514 hours of LRR, but only if they kept it funny all the way through, and that was the problem. It was a tad long to keep up a consistent level of funniness. After the 'Team player' bit, I found it started to become a bit more repetitive and predictable, and a bit less funny. If they had managed to take out a couple extra scenes without messing with the flow of the vid, it would of been much more hilarious.

I dunno... I thought it was funny the whole way through... Just depends one's taste I guess :wink:
"Il fine giustifica i mezzi"

~Machiavelli
Checkviller

Postby Checkviller » 18 Nov 2007, 10:06

well.. those X ways to Y things you guys make can't be long enough for me :D

I had to laugh at the beginning, with the handshake and the nude Matt and all, and after that it was just... Fun to watch :)

I was a bit sceptical about how you would going to make this work without people speeking, That's where an interview is all about after all. But you covered that up with the punching Matt. 8)
what is wrong with this code?

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”