39 - Test Tube Beef

News, with silly hats.
Matt
LRR Crew

39 - Test Tube Beef

Postby Matt » 22 Feb 2012, 18:36

It may not be what's for dinner, but it'll certainly put you off your dinner.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/feed-dump/5393-Test-Tube-Beef

-m

I am not angry at you.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: 40 - Test Tube Beef

Postby Lord Hosk » 22 Feb 2012, 19:04

I know what you are thinking, But Lord Hosk, Arent you from S.E. Michigan? Don't you have relatives who live within a mile of that sign and could take a picture of it?

Why yes, yes I do.

The sign has been replaced by one which reads

6:49-9:07 AM
2:03-4:29 PM
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
DancingFox
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby DancingFox » 22 Feb 2012, 19:47

Hey, I ski at Squaw. Fantastic place. Ski through Starbucks sounds hilarious. I'm just wondering if we'll see anybody, hot coffee in hand, trying to make it down like a double black diamond slope of moguls...
Tales from the Menagerie! New fiction magazine looking for submissions of all sorts!
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 22 Feb 2012, 22:08

That sign is absolutely ridiculous.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 22 Feb 2012, 23:18

This Feed Dump was very hot. Thanks Cam, and thanks Alex.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Feb 2012, 00:34

Woo a story I've actually heard about! I wonder if test tube beef would taste like Quorn?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
SilPho
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby SilPho » 23 Feb 2012, 03:02

What bugs me most about the original sign is that most of the time periods were exactly 30 minutes, except for rather a arbitrary 24 minutes for the first one.

And why doesn't the final version just say 6:50-9:10 and 2:00-4:30? Just seems needlessly complex. The sexual obsession suggestion actually seems plausible.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 23 Feb 2012, 03:33

I saw a poll asking about the test tube beef the other day, and the response was overwhelmingly negative.

I don't eat any kind of beef, so I wouldn't, but I don't see the objection to this.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Feb 2012, 04:03

I can think of a few objections that I would have:

1. It's not natural. It's a kneejerk reaction I know but I would prefer my medium-to-well-done steak to actually have been running around a field at some point rather than grown in a laboratory. At least that way I would be confident of the source. Anything could happen in a lab.

2. It would be extremely expensive. I know there will be arguments like "but it will solve food shortages" but with the time it would take and amount it would cost I can't see it solving any problems at all. It only seems to have come about to answer the question "can we do this?"

3. It may lead to places we don't want to go. If food like this can be synthesized then where does it stop? Graham's Soylent Green gag would actually be a logical conclusion. With all the controversy currently surrounding stem cell research I would hate to see the reaction if we were to eat the results.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 23 Feb 2012, 06:33

SilPho wrote:What bugs me most about the original sign is that most of the time periods were exactly 30 minutes, except for rather a arbitrary 24 minutes for the first one.

And why doesn't the final version just say 6:50-9:10 and 2:00-4:30? Just seems needlessly complex. The sexual obsession suggestion actually seems plausible.

This isnt 1 sign its actually 8 signs placed over a 2 mile stretch.

According to my cousin this is a long evolving sign. It went something like this.

The road is 45 MPH Zone and is a main thoroughfare:
The first change was 25 the whole 2 mile stretch always. people complained because its a long stretch into town.
The second change was 25 MPH on school days, People complained thats no better.
The third was a lighted electronic sign at each end of the zone that changed from 25 to 45 during appropriate hours, but there are two subdivisions in the zone with multiple exits onto the road so they had lots of people getting pulled over because they thought it was 45 but the sign had changed.
The fourth were signs that said during bus drop off and pick up but people didnt know when that was so more tickets being fought in court.
This was the fifth, they dont know why the first one is only 26 minutes for the first slot.
The sixth set of signs is 6:49-9:07 AM and 2:03-4:29 PM

Why not 630 to 930 and 2-430? Because its the only road through town and they want to minimize interruption. Or alternatively, the city makes a lot of money on tickets in that area and wants people to be confused.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Feb 2012, 06:56

Geoff_B wrote:I can think of a few objections that I would have:

1. It's not natural. It's a kneejerk reaction I know but I would prefer my medium-to-well-done steak to actually have been running around a field at some point rather than grown in a laboratory. At least that way I would be confident of the source. Anything could happen in a lab.

I feel exactly the opposite. I can be fairly confident of what's going on in a lab (SCIENCE!), but out in the field...well, Mad Cow Disease is a problem for a reason. The more control you have over the food production process, the safer the result can be. Synthetic meat is about the ultimate in control, every single environmental variable could be controlled up to the moment it's shipped. So long as muscle cells can be properly stimulated and grown, there's no advantage to my bloody-rare steak having run around at some point.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Feb 2012, 07:24

How would you get blood in a lab grown steak?

And also beef varies according to the breed of cow it comes from (for example Aberdeen Angus). I don't see how they'd be able to replicate each type in a petri dish.

But I think I'm going to stick with the "eww! Test tube meat! Gross!" objection.

Triangular
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Triangular » 23 Feb 2012, 07:36

Guys this was hilarious. I laughed throughout it. Great stuff from all of you, be proud :D
Always speak your mind, those that matter wont mind,
and those that mind, don't matter
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Feb 2012, 07:58

Geoff_B wrote:How would you get blood in a lab grown steak?

And also beef varies according to the breed of cow it comes from (for example Aberdeen Angus). I don't see how they'd be able to replicate each type in a petri dish.

But I think I'm going to stick with the "eww! Test tube meat! Gross!" objection.

The breed of cow is determined by what genes are present and expressed. So just take the stem cells from the breed of cow you want, and there you go. As for blood, depending on how they do it, there may not be actual blood, but at the least there would have to be some kind of synthetic blood to oxygenate and deliver nutrients throughout the meat-mass.

In the end, there is (ideally, at least) no chemical difference between lab-grown and farmed meat, once it reaches your plate. Just as there is no difference between many "synthetic" and "natural" food additives, just the "natural" ones were obtained the hard way.

Knee-jerk reactions have no place before the onslaught of SCIENCE! And delicious, but sustainable, meat.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Feb 2012, 08:26

Well I'm sure once it's ready they'll give it to a culinary expert, nay, artist, who can unlock the full potential and present a gastronomic delight sure to tantalize even the most sceptical of tastebuds.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 23 Feb 2012, 12:57

I would totally try Science Meat™
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 23 Feb 2012, 13:16

Well, of course, when you say it like that... :D

On the other hand McDonald's stuff seems to be made out of cardboard so lab-grown abomination can only be an improvement :D

(hopefully I haven't just offended anyone here who works at McDonalds :S )

empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Feb 2012, 13:40

Geoff? I seriously doubt anyone who is a wage slave under 'Rotten Ronnie' is going to be OFFENDED; you might just get Micky D's employees buying you drinks for saying what you did. ;)

And getting back to my original purpose of posting in this thread:

GREAT EPISODE, GUYS! Zyxst was actually getting worried by all my laughter over here. :mrgreen:

Return to “Feed Dump”