Loading Time - Editing

Talk about our latest behind the scenes videos.
Graham
Super Moderator

Loading Time - Editing

Postby Graham » 11 Aug 2012, 11:40

This is what Graham does, every week.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Re: Loading Time - Editing

Postby plummeting_sloth » 11 Aug 2012, 12:04

That's really interesting how even in shots where there's no sound, there's not actually NO sound, but instead completely unnoticed background noise. It reminds me of this article about how a room that literally produces no sound can drive a person insane in a relatively short time:

http://dsc.discovery.com/life/worlds-quietest-room-will-drive-you-crazy-in-30-minutes.html
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 11 Aug 2012, 12:18

plummeting_sloth wrote:That's really interesting how even in shots where there's no sound, there's not actually NO sound, but instead completely unnoticed background noise. It reminds me of this article about how a room that literally produces no sound can drive a person insane in a relatively short time:

http://dsc.discovery.com/life/worlds-quietest-room-will-drive-you-crazy-in-30-minutes.html

I have to imagine being in that room for any length of time would lead to a situation akin to Occupied, but much much worse.

I've edited a bit using Final Cut Pro in the past. I always found it to be one of the more enjoyable parts of making videos (at least back when I was in that Video editing technical class back in high-school) because you didn't have to worry about much other then getting it to look right. Of course, when there's a problem, it normally becomes very annoying. But I never worked on anything as advanced as most of the videos here. Many of my videos were awful in a way that was hilarious to those involved.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 11 Aug 2012, 14:10

So are you syncing the audio and video manually for every shot you use?

Do I presume you're reading a slate for each shot, to keep straight which is which?

After a bad experience where this job fell on me and I was trying to decide which audio file went with which video file based on the time the file was creates, I got intrigued by something called Plural Eyes which is supposed to sync files based on their audio. Is that something that would sound good to you, or are there drawbacks I'm not thinking of?
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 11 Aug 2012, 20:56

That's really fascinating. Thanks for that guys!

So did Alex have to sync the audio and video for a Loading Time about syncing audio and video?
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Aug 2012, 23:57

The audio is sync'd by Final Cut X, which is why we use it.
It's soooooo good.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 12 Aug 2012, 06:27

I have been wanting to see a behind the scenes look at the editing for years. Thanks!
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
robothero
First Video: Ways to drink a Coke?

Postby robothero » 12 Aug 2012, 11:46

I've only used Premiere and only synched clips manually based on slate. I didn't realize that was a built-in ability for Final Cut.

The terrible experience I had was helping someone who had slated each shot for sync but only read the slate number about half the time. So I ended up with all these batches of four or five takes of the same shot, that are nearly identical but not quite, and I'd have to synch one, watch it to see if the dialogue was in synch, and if it didn't really match, try synching a different audio file until I found the pair that matched.
ewhac
First Video: One of the early Unskippables

Postby ewhac » 14 Aug 2012, 22:26

I use Kdenlive for editing because A) I don't have a Mac; and B) I'm a cheap bastard. It won't auto-sync separate audio tracks (so you have to slate them). However, once you've eyeballed them into sync, it will let you "group" them so they can be dragged around and treated as a single thing without fear of de-syncing them.

Kdenlive also has rudimentary scripting, so you could probably render all your target resolutions using a single script. (Sorry, this unintentionally seems to be turning in to an ad for Kdenlive...)

Was your transition effect for Checkpoint created inside FCP, or imported from somewhere else?

Do your publishers ever re-compress your stuff?

Return to “Loading Time”