Friday Nights - Grand Prix Calgary

Talk about the latest LRR draft videos or Friday Nights.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Friday Nights - Grand Prix Calgary

Postby Paul » 16 Aug 2013, 06:07

The LoadingReadyRun arrive at Grand Prix Calgary ready to enjoy their weekend at the event. James gets caught in a compromising position. Kathleen and Cam find themselves facing off at the worst possible time.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Re: Friday Nights - Grand Prix Calgary

Postby ElFuzzy » 16 Aug 2013, 06:38

Possible Jundam?

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Aug 2013, 07:08

Awkward Graham is Awkward.

Good episode, judges were great. Green screen parts drew me out a little.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 16 Aug 2013, 07:22

So, how much did you guys get recognized at the GP?

What fun! Watching Friday Nights usually makes me want to play Magic, and this week's episode made me crave just hanging out at a GP and getting in some side events.

Question: What accent is that on the lady Judge? I can't place it.

My wife laughed hysterically at Graham's food antics, first at the wine-tasting like sampling of a hot dog, and then she completely lost it when he said, "Plus, I ate every food."

Graham annoying the MTG Artist (Rob Alexander?) was pretty funny. The guy looked like he was having a hard time not cracking up, which means your jokes about annoying players wanting him to sign 10,000 cards were probably pretty accurate.

Technical Frustration: Were those closeups, such as Kathleen playing against Cam, green screened? Those scenes looked...weird. I don't mind you guys having to green screen, but I think you were too zoomed in, or maybe it was just weird that you were cutting them off above the eyebrows. It had a disorienting effect on me.

Technical Frustration #2: Noise is obviously something you can't control at a GP, but if you are going to green screen scenes, then you CAN control the noise on those scenes and...well...you recreated the GP atmosphere too well because I had a great deal of difficulty hearing the dialogue in those scenes.

Musical Character Chairs: I am still going to insist that Alex, Aka "Detective Netdeck", should have been playing the Jund Net Deck, not Jer, aka "Captain Combo".

Where's Matt? Whenever Matt is not onscreen, all the other characters should be saying, "Where's Matt"?

Final Thoughts: This really was a great episode, and this season has been really strong. But I must add that it is a shame this season had no arc, because the GP would have been a great place for said arc to culminate, much like the FNM for season 1. One of the characters (Alex? Kathleen?) could have expressed a desire to play more hardcore, maybe start to try and be pro. Watching the Pro Tour ("The Masters") or preparing for the GP at a prerelease ("Prereleasing") could all have been part of a larger character arc, training and studying and trying to get to the next level. Placing in the top 100, or "in the money" is a nice culmination of that arc, much like Paul getting third at FNM. Meanwhile, another character (Graham?) could have desired to go in the opposite direction. After years of playing fairly competitively, this character might have grown bored with standard and draft, and desired to explore other, more casual aspects of the game. That character could have found fun in things like pack wars ("The Return") or or unsanctioned "silly theme" drafts ("Guild Fight") which could have ultimately culminated in him discovering Magic still had a lot to offer, and a that he could still have fun at a GP, collecting foils, getting cards signed, and eating hanging out with friends. I do miss that arc from season 1, but this has been great stuff nonetheless.

Grade: A+
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 16 Aug 2013, 07:30

For what it's worth, I didn't even notice the green screen stuff until reading these comments on it. Was it done to replace the footage on the lost SD card?

Either way, excellent episode!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 16 Aug 2013, 07:36

Professor STAFF wrote:Technical Frustration: Were those closeups, such as Kathleen playing against Cam, green screened? Those scenes looked...weird. I don't mind you guys having to green screen, but I think you were too zoomed in, or maybe it was just weird that you were cutting them off above the eyebrows. It had a disorienting effect on me.

Jamfalcon wrote:For what it's worth, I didn't even notice the green screen stuff until reading these comments on it. Was it done to replace the footage on the lost SD card?

This is almost certainly the case. I think they did a great job replacing the footage with the green screen.

Professor Staff, I'm venturing to guess the reason they're so "zoomed in" is because they had to superimpose Kathleen and Cam on top of shots they had done with other people; that is, there are people sitting "behind" Kathleen and Cam. To cover them up, they had to make the shots of Kathleen and Cam a little tighter, so they'd be bigger on the screen and cover up the people who were originally in the shot.

It sucks that the SD card was lost, but these things happen, and I think you guys recouped famously. Bravo.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 16 Aug 2013, 08:11

Yeah, obviously green screening there was not their first choice, but it's way better than not having this episode at all.

Playing Magic on a sleeping James might just trump the spooning train from Hot Water at PAX as my favorite hotel bed joke.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 16 Aug 2013, 10:29

Has the female judge been in other episodes before because she looks familiar.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Aug 2013, 10:29

Professor STAFF I think the Judge has one of the many accents from Britain.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 16 Aug 2013, 11:07

If I recall rightly, the judge I recognise from here in the UK is Kim Warren. She's helped me a lot at PTQ's and such over here, all you could ask for ina judge.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 16 Aug 2013, 12:04

Fantazme wrote:If I recall rightly, the judge I recognise from here in the UK is Kim Warren. She's helped me a lot at PTQ's and such over here, all you could ask for ina judge.

After googling her, it looks like you're right. On her twitter account she talks about filming those scenes.

Elomin Sha wrote:Professor STAFF I think the Judge has one of the many accents from Britain.

Based on this page, looks like she grew up in Newport on the Isle of Wight.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Aug 2013, 13:33

I... Very did notice the green screening. To be honest, I'd been wondering how you were going to cover for the lost footage described as 'irreplaceable'. Just be glad the wizards fan base isn't as aggressive as the rest of YouTube, or those shots might have attracted... Debate.

Was quite interesting to see that British judge from last year again, if only cause he still looks 12.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Professor STAFF
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby Professor STAFF » 16 Aug 2013, 14:03

So what's the story about the lost footage? Other than...they lost some footage...?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Aug 2013, 14:49

As far as I know, they just misplaced/lost the SD card at the GP, and have no idea where it went.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 17 Aug 2013, 03:15

I really love James double-queuing. Good that he already had the experience.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 17 Aug 2013, 11:22

And I may be an idiot, but I didn't even notice the greenscreening. I was just watching for the sake of watching and assumed they found the card.
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 17 Aug 2013, 11:28

JAANDAAMU!!!
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Lysander
First Video: Daily Drop: Eggs

Postby Lysander » 18 Aug 2013, 16:57

Do people actually double-que off-line?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Aug 2013, 20:53

Lysander wrote:Do people actually double-que off-line?
I didn't think so, hence the joke... but some people really were!
Pimpin J
First Video: Escapist News Network

Postby Pimpin J » 19 Aug 2013, 07:51

Every time I see these videos it makes me want to grab my deck and play. Then I realize that none of my friends play and I work too late on Friday.

Also not one Jundam Style joke?
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 21 Aug 2013, 15:30

can someone explain to me how one might "jund 'em out"? I tried to get it from gatherer, but I feel like i'm missing something
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 21 Aug 2013, 16:01

It's a joke. Jund is a deck (or more accurately, the name for any Red/Black/Green deck (and also a shard, from Alara)). They were just turning the name into a verb.

Also it sounds like Gundam.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 21 Aug 2013, 16:02

Jund refers to the Red-Black-Green Shard of Alara. The Jund deck is a deck in those colors. When Jer is told to "Jund 'em out," it's mostly just a reference to the colors/type of deck he's playing.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 22 Aug 2013, 08:56

Ah, so "jund em out" is even more useless advice than I thought, I was thinking it was like some creature that you just prayed to topdeck at the right time. That joke is significantly funnier now. Awesome episode!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Aug 2013, 09:35

He's basically just saying, "play your deck"

Return to “MtG”