Suspend Your Disbelief

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Graham
Super Moderator

Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Graham » 18 Mar 2005, 18:12

So, when I got assigned my final project for video class (the entirety of the criteria being, "You have up to ten minutes.") I knew this was what I wanted to do. I pitched the idea to Andy (cause I can't make music) and he was totally into it.

Many hours of work later and we've got a pretty awesome sounding song!

Thanks to everyone who was in on this one, especially Andy, who put in a huge amount of work, but also Pat and Rachelle for the long recording day. Further props to the random back-up dancers: Jer, Duncan, Russ, Paul and Azin.

I hope you all like it.

Also, recently Rick Mercer (This Hour Has 22 Minutes, Talking to Americans & The Monday Report) was at UVic recently doing a bit with the UVic "Order of Pi" fundraiser, and I managed to get him to do a throw for us.
As you might imagine, he's very funny in person, and a very cool guy. He was really nice about making it happen, even though I'd forgotten my camra's battery and had to ask him to step inside a building to do it.
(My editing makes him look slightly more addled than he actually was, but he was racing around on a tight schedule.)
Which was nice.

-G
Andy

Postby Andy » 18 Mar 2005, 19:47

Wow! :D

The colours really pop out, like you said;
my hair looks like it's on fire!

I'm so glad we did this! :)
Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana.
-Groucho Marx
shoe

Postby shoe » 18 Mar 2005, 21:13

WOW, that was amazing! I loved it.
And graham you met rick mercer! I am so jelous/envious. I think he's awesome. Gah I wanna meet him.
Good job!
Chad

Postby Chad » 19 Mar 2005, 00:03

mad pr0ps to the video! Creative song and good "musical" feel to the camerawork

Watch out for a music video from FaN... coming soon: "Love Is A Fossil Fuel"

still, great and bounteous pr0ps to Suspend Your Disbelief and the suspension of disbelief in general
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 19 Mar 2005, 12:26

Guys that was soooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!

This is definetly in competition with the Loading Ready Rap for my favourite video.

Andy you are an amazing musician, and all the singers were great!! The lyrics were perfect. I was smiling the whole time I was watching. And yes, the colours were very nice and bright. The dances were corny enough to be funny but not too corny! Throughly enjoyable and halarious.

Excellent work. Great job everyone!!

*still smiling....*
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Alanna the Banana

Postby Alanna the Banana » 19 Mar 2005, 13:09

WOW!

I am sooo impressed with you guys! that was really and truely amazing! I really hope that sometime in the future you can make more crazy musical ones! I just about passed out laughing from that one!

Andy, my hat is off to you. I desperately hope that you get into writing musicals in the future! You have a talent to be worshipped!

see you all around!

BTW - Yay for getting Mercer on camera for LLR, he's way cool!
Velcro-Zipper - A Drunk's Best Friend
headbomb

Postby headbomb » 19 Mar 2005, 14:10

Wow, this was really great. For some reason Andy seems to sing better (not that he was bad) in this video. And that chick really can sing. Who is that?
Gaëtan Landry
Université de Moncton
D'Arcy
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3

Postby D'Arcy » 19 Mar 2005, 16:51

Best. Video. EVAR!!!!!!!!111oneoneone

I especially liked the singing in the rain bit (probably one of my favourite musicals).
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 20 Mar 2005, 00:06

Reference: Kathleen and Dana, HATE musicals. They are the work of satin. So... we didn't... care for it... at all.

Sorry!
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Mar 2005, 01:21

Kathleen wrote:They are the work of satin.

Satin?
Bwahahahahaha!!!
I honestly laughed at that for a while.

-G
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 20 Mar 2005, 03:23

Glad you get the reference. It's so obscure.
^_^
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Dana

Postby Dana » 20 Mar 2005, 04:33

It was my idea too! ^_^
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
Armand

Postby Armand » 20 Mar 2005, 05:05

I'm sorry, give me a moment to pick my jaw up off of the floor. A stroke of pure genius! That sums it up completely. I do believe this is the best thing I have seen you do. Everything about it was perfect: score, lyrics, performances, direction, cinematography, cameras, I could go on and on. Graham & Andy, if you don't make it professionally in the world of film or the illustrious and yet often misunderstood theatre, it will be a terrible waste. Woop, there goes my jaw again.
This Baby tastes like a 4 year old!

-Armand Schmidt
www.thewastedpotentials.com
billyismyidol

Postby billyismyidol » 20 Mar 2005, 12:28

my favourite part was the dancing... mad props to the choreographer... the final dance number was fantastic!
Andrew Lloyd would be proud 8)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 20 Mar 2005, 14:23

Whoops!
Choreography credits go primarily to Andy and Rachelle, with Jer as dance captain to keep the chorus in line. Really everyone was throwing ideas around.

-G
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 21 Mar 2005, 02:07

As a past, present, and probably future contributor, I just want to say... what videos like this does to 'the bar' scares the high holy hell outta me. I just hope I can feign competence well enough to keep up.

And, to Graham, Andy, and everyone else who worked on this--Damn you! Damn you all to hell!
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 21 Mar 2005, 09:45

Holy hell.

Now, I don't watch that many videos on LRR, largely because my net connection... sucks. It sucks a lot. A super lot.

But I had to see this one. I had to.

And I am goddamned glad I spent an hour downloading it.

Honestly, best video yet.

Props to Andy for his writing and performance, as well as Pat for his well played part, and to Le Cameraman and Le Techies for their well done work.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 22 Mar 2005, 00:40

Graham wrote:Whoops!
Choreography credits go primarily to Andy and Rachelle, with Jer as dance captain to keep the chorus in line. Really everyone was throwing ideas around.

-G

Don't forget my five minute course for techies and passing art students in the fine art of solo charleston (I'm learning to tango now, which could be interesting . . . I knew all that DDR would eventually go somewhere), and attempted recruitment of about eight semi-confirmed people for the chorus (one of whom decided to come)! I wear those credits with pride ;).

People have commented on the camera setup, and I think it deserves mentions as it was pretty cool for this one. Definitely a step up from our previous most-advanced camera technique (which, I think, was pulling the camera down a hall on top of a skateboard for the rap). For this one, we actually came close to a professional rig, minus the budget. We had G sitting on a stool on top of a sculpture dolly he borrowed from one of the art buildings, with the tripod in front of him bearing the camera, and a tape recorder so Andy, Pat and Rachelle could hear the song. Paul and I stood in for the hydraulics that might otherwise be used to move such a contraption and pushed the heavy dolly around the area to achieve the tracking shots. This was all G's idea and he deserves mad props as it worked out SO WELL!

From the looks of things, the second take of Rachelle's "melody" solo was used, which is probably a good thing, as the first one had the entire 200-and-something pound rig sortof spiral outwards and nearly crash into Pat. . . oops!
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 22 Mar 2005, 01:39

Jer wrote:From the looks of things, the second take of Rachelle's "melody" solo was used, which is probably a good thing, as the first one had the entire 200-and-something pound rig sortof spiral outwards and nearly crash into Pat. . . oops!

Haha! Umm... actually, that was indeed, the first take that I used, crashing and all. It worked out better for a couple different reasons. In the live audio, you can totally hear Pat swearing. Watch again and notice how it moves further away from Rachelle as the shot goes on. Kind of a neat effect really.

And thank you for mad dolly props.

-G
Ami KittyCat Mizuno

Postby Ami KittyCat Mizuno » 23 Mar 2005, 08:26

Genial !! More spirit fingers! That was sooo cool!
And Rick Mercier, that was like...wow... I found out he was in Victoria at some point by watching Monday Report on (guess when!) Monday and i was soooo sad i missed him. *sniff sniff*
PS My little samosa...*shakes head with shame*
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 23 Mar 2005, 11:24

If I'd had a camera with me, G, I would've gotten you Matt Good's endorsement
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Morgan
LRR Crew

Postby Morgan » 23 Mar 2005, 14:26

way to not have a camera with you at all times, naird!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 09 Jun 2006, 16:08

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but
I just watched it again and...I want to give Andy a big ol' kiss on the lips. Just so good.
Also I realized the weirdiest thing in the cast list thing at the end: Someone's last name was LeBlanc :O. I know it's no relation to Matt LeBlanc, still think it was funny though.

Make more musicals!! They're GOOD
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 23 Jun 2006, 02:35

Seriously, Andy, you got a world-class set of pipes on ya, man.
-Wraith
CheeseGrater

Postby CheeseGrater » 14 Nov 2006, 17:35

DUDE.

I SO JUST GOT THE 'IN MEDIAS RES' JOKE AT THE BEGINNING.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!eleven

P.S. Would probably have been easier to pick it out if you guys had owned the new sound equipment at the time. But still!

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”