LRRcast for Installation Anxiety 2010

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

LRRcast for Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby James » 01 Jun 2010, 16:24

HOOBOY!
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Re: LRRcast for Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby The Jester » 01 Jun 2010, 16:35

Oh cool, I shall listen on the morrow, and comment further then. ;)

WHYMUSTYOUUPDATEWITHTHESESHINYNEWTHINGSWHENIDESIRESLEEP??DX
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 01 Jun 2010, 16:59

Coming from watching Benzaie videos, seeing this tagline was hilarious.

I shall listen to it now.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Jun 2010, 17:23

Seriously, is there a reason you always seemingly update the LRRcast when I'm just about to go to sleep? Do you secretly have it in for my sleep schedule?

What has it ever done to you! It's such a kind and gentle soul...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 01 Jun 2010, 18:54

Re: Deadly Premonition. Here is a post I made on the Spoony Experiment forum. It fits well enough here:

Here is a pratfall in thinking about this game: Don't think for a second that Deadly Premonitions is about the gameplay. It's not. I'll explain this a bit in a second.

Deadly Premonition is about the absurdity of the story and the dialogues between the characters. Everything in the game is done in service to that.

The textures are bad and the character models are stiff and generationally two consoles behind its peers. This serves to make York's interaction with the world and its people even more insane and unbelievable. Deadly Premonition is dancing around with the facade of being a survival horror, Twin Peaks knockoff. Current generation graphics of an even mediocre nature would have ruined the effect. Keep in mind that this game has been in development since at least 2007; graphics as outdated as this don't come subconsciously.

The music is loud because it is its own character in the game. It constantly intrudes on cutscenes, playing screeching wails from saxophones or jaunty whistling tunes to keep any cutscene from delving too deeply into what could be misconstrued as seriousness. Seconds after witnessing a grisly murder, the silence will suddenly be broken by the trumpeting theme that plays when York is first introduced. In the scene where York and Polly eat breakfast at the hotel, the music swells when they start having trouble hearing each other because of their distance, and it continues to increase in volume as they each have to keep shouting louder and louder to be heard, producing the effect that the background noise is literally trying to drown them out and they're fighting to jump over it.

Now I say that Deadly Premonition isn't about the gameplay, and I mean it. You don't pop this game into your console because you have an itch to shoot redneck ghosts. This was made for its crazy story, and everything else is incidental. That's not to say that no care was given to the gameplay, however - I mean, come on, you're fighting limboing Joker zombies who want nothing more than to shove their hands in your mouth. When you are driving around the overworld, the car constantly jerks to the left because York is a terrible, insane driver. When using the auto-aim feature, York loves nothing more than to aim directly at his enemies' genitalia and he doesn't care what the player wants to aim at. You fish to try and catch doughnuts.

Now I think I'd be right in assuming that most of you guys probably think that sacrificing good gameplay for the sake of satire is stupid, and I would usually agree. Killer7 was interesting but not something I'd ever want to give a second playthrough. But Deadly Premonition does it all so bold-facedly, so aware that it is being a survival horror game ten years behind the times, that I can only play and laugh at it. Laugh at the enemies who teleport via the Blur photoshop motion tool. Laugh at York congratulating himself every time he gets a clean headshot. Laugh at "The Pickles" and "Police" Brand Cigarettes. Deadly Premonition is that guy who knows he can't dance, but he wants to goddamn dance anyway and revels in how stupid he looks while doing it. It knows exactly what it wanted to be, and dammit, it succeeded.

P.S. This game was published by Marvelous Entertainment, the same company that published No More Heroes. Just something to consider.

Now, I still understand that people won't accept the argument as proof that it is being completely facetious throughout. That's why I offer this gameplay video:

Fishing for doughnuts. (link)
Littleman 64
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Littleman 64 » 01 Jun 2010, 19:10

You use the name "Jordash" for WoW! My last name is "Chordash" and people pronounce it as "Chord-ash" (as in music chord), "Shore-dash" (Like a beach) or "Jor-dash" which I have no clue how people get that!

How did you come up with that username and how do you spell it?
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 01 Jun 2010, 20:33

The only time I replaced a name in a Final Fantasy game is changing the name of the main characters name in FF5 because Buts is a stupid name.

Fun thing I have started doing is when I get a chance to name a generic party (such as the first Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior IV) I will choose to make them all RPG side characters (like Leo, Marcus, Watts and Jinx) because they deserve to have their own adventure.
Bluebottle
First Video: Apartment Hunting

Postby Bluebottle » 01 Jun 2010, 21:52

Very curious that you didn't discuss the fan response to InstAnx2010. Probably for the best: while you should absolutely listen to your fans, you shouldn't get riled up by them. (Them fans..always ruining everything...)

Also fascinating to not hear the original draft for Kathleen's ENN script. Apparently Kathleen has a really dirty/shocking sense of humour? Who knew.
Videos I have appeared in so far: 1 (and counting...)
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 01 Jun 2010, 22:37

HEY LRR CREW!

Start your next AskLRR session here:

http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4743&start=1653

P.S.: You're on question 1653 of what is currently 2364. You have 712 "questions", on just over 28 pages, to go through to catch up. You are 11 months and 1 day behind. Good Luck!
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Zet

Postby Zet » 02 Jun 2010, 00:49

I had that same Dragon Age glitch! Luckily I had Howe with me, his arrows just barely made it to the enemies and I slowly whittled them away. Man that was aggravating.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2010, 02:13

I was definitely expecting a lot more discussion over the controversy this video caused, but certainly can't say I'm disappointed to not see it here :P

Fun LRRcast discussion as always, now to wash the image of Stephen Hawking as a gigolo from my brain...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 02 Jun 2010, 04:51

<sarcasm>
Stephen Hawking likes to get it on, and can!? Who knew?
</sarcasm>

I also liked the discussion on Canadian bands. Since I'm on the other side of the Atlantic, I'd not heard of most of these bands. I'm always looking to expand my musical horizons, so I'll be checking out some of these bands.

Generic RPG character names!? Who knew? I found that if you changed Cloud's name to "my cock" you could have hilarious exchanges like this one:

(After the first Midgar explosion planted by Barrett and co. once they've boarded the train, before Cloud bursts in through the carriage door)
Barrett wrote:Where's my cock! I can't find my cock

Or something to that effect.

I think that I must be one of the few people who enjoyed both InstAnx2010 ANDDeadly Premonition. You see, I have this (apparently) uncanny ability to separate my views from those of other people. As such, I am able to see the gaping holes in things, and why these holes are funny.

One thing to remember, Uskippable isn't a review show. It's a MST3K like show for video game intro's, which are ALWAYS taken out of context. In the words of South Park's Saddam Hussain "Hey, relax guy" (you know who you are)
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 02 Jun 2010, 08:22

Yay!, Jer plays almost exclusively as female characters! I an no longer alone! And Matt too! Alright...
Keelah Se'lai
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 02 Jun 2010, 10:32

Pigmy Wurm wrote:The only time I replaced a name in a Final Fantasy game is changing the name of the main characters name in FF5 because Buts is a stupid name.
His name was supposed to be Bartz. Bartz Klauser.
GaProgMan wrote:Generic RPG character names!? Who knew? I found that if you changed Cloud's name to "my cock" you could have hilarious exchanges like this one:

(After the first Midgar explosion planted by Barrett and co. once they've boarded the train, before Cloud bursts in through the carriage door)
Barrett wrote:Where's my cock! I can't find my cock

Or something to that effect.
A similar thing happens if you name Aeris "easy".
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 02 Jun 2010, 11:07

I would give up my sense of decency, it's not like I'm using it.
Last edited by Mister Fiend on 02 Jun 2010, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 02 Jun 2010, 11:10

I usually care more about playing the game than picking a name, so if I have to pick one, it's generally Yaxley. Though I switched it up for Dragon Age and spelled it Iagsleigh. I thought it fit the setting better, for some reason.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 02 Jun 2010, 11:39

I find the lack of Victoria Wood in your discussion of musical comedians frankly appaling and I feel that you all need to watch this video now
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 02 Jun 2010, 12:19

Victoria Wood's a comedian who does musical numbers, though; she's not actually a career musician like the singers and bands that the crew discussed.

Chuckles wrote:
Pigmy Wurm wrote:The only time I replaced a name in a Final Fantasy game is changing the name of the main characters name in FF5 because Buts is a stupid name.
His name was supposed to be Bartz. Bartz Klauser.

No, dammit! It's Butz! Butz forever!
dooberry
First Video: Fun with Condoms

Postby dooberry » 02 Jun 2010, 17:22

Re: Auto-saves
Playing Farcry 2, I completed one of the gunshop missions in which you take out a caravan of enemy weapons. My typical method for disposing of the transport truck is IEDs or rockets. After this particular truck exploded, it flew up sky high. Then, the game pops-up a window asking me if I want to save. I consider this an auto save. Its right after a mission was completed, so there's no reason not to. So, I click "save" and the menu disappears. The instant I'm back in the game, the burning wreck falls right on my head, killing me. After reloading the save about 5 times, I was able to sprint out from under the truck before it fell. At that very moment, I found it frustrating, but looking back, that's probably one of the funniest things to happen to me in that game.
I
HATE
BIG
SIGNATURES

knife to meet you, I am a SPY
Penthesilea180
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby Penthesilea180 » 02 Jun 2010, 18:44

Now I have the image of "Mattina" in my head. Reminiscent of Bill Bailey in the Black Books episode where he is in the frilly dress on the cover of Beards Monthly. *Shudder*
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 02 Jun 2010, 19:52

I'm just going to go on record on saying that I feel robbed thanks to the crew keeping Kathleen from talking about whatever horrifically wrong and hilarious direction she originally wanted to take ENN in.
ImageImageImageImage
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 02 Jun 2010, 20:56

Vanguard wrote:I'm just going to go on record on saying that I feel robbed thanks to the crew keeping Kathleen from talking about whatever horrifically wrong and hilarious direction she originally wanted to take ENN in.

You feel robbed? I feel protected. I mean, they wouldn't even let her SAY what it was, let alone put it in the video. It MUST have been bad.

(And, of course, as is the way with this things, I'm curious too.)
Last edited by Yaxley on 03 Jun 2010, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.
NoDeath

Postby NoDeath » 02 Jun 2010, 21:33

After listening I just thought Id mention that regarding the talk about the localization of Deadly Premonition - There isn't any. Or very little, anyway. The English V.O you get is the only V.O that was recorded for the game, in Japan it just has Japanese subtitles. All Ignition had to do to release the game in the states was translate the menus and in-game text. So yes, York is talking about Tom and Jerry and 80's movies throughout the Japanese version as well.
Kag

Postby Kag » 02 Jun 2010, 22:50

Reading some of Swery's Twitter, and listening to this mind-blowing interview, I get the feeling that pretty much all of the bad things in Deadly Premonition are a product of its obviously small budget.
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 02 Jun 2010, 23:36

Kag wrote:Reading some of Swery's Twitter, and listening to this mind-blowing interview, I get the feeling that pretty much all of the bad things in Deadly Premonition are a product of its obviously small budget.

<sarcasm>
Nooo! That can't be true! Not when there are that many Japan-fanboys protecting it
</sarcasm>
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers

Return to “LRRcast”