LRRcast for Wing Nuts

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

LRRcast for Wing Nuts

Postby James » 11 Jan 2011, 12:24

Whoops, it's been up since last night but I forgot to make this thread. Enjoy!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Re: LRRcast for Wing Nuts

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 11 Jan 2011, 12:51

I came home from secondary school (which was hell for me on a daily basis) and found my grandfather stood up watching the news about 9/11 on the TV. I saw the footage of it and the first and most enduring thing that went through my head was "I'm gonna be hearing about this for years."

It wasn't really until the 7/7 bombings in London (nearly 4 years later) that I even considered anyone would attack the UK, and even then I was well aware that a city in the Northeast whose only claim to fame is being the birthplace of the railway would not be a target until some serious silt start going down, like a full-blown invasion.

Now, I'm more concerned with governmental reactions to the events than the events themselves. The two don't really compare when put next to one-another. (Terrorist bombings versus near-decade-long war)
Last edited by Lyinginbedmon on 11 Jan 2011, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 Jan 2011, 13:45

I should say, Kathleen, if you guys are going to PAX East, I could just pick it up then, if that'd save you some shipping money. I don't need it immediately.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 11 Jan 2011, 14:48

Good choice with Dara O'Briain, I went to see him live a couple of months ago and he was brilliant.

If you get the chance, check out Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, it's the funniest stand up I've seen. Basically it's this guy who went round the world trying to find ten googlewhacks in a row and it's him telling this story and all the weird coincidences etc.
Littleman 64
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Littleman 64 » 11 Jan 2011, 15:34

It should have been called "Touch Nuts."
HarryBentley
First Video: Unskippable: Onimusha

Postby HarryBentley » 11 Jan 2011, 16:40

Fast bulbous squid... Is it "Superfast Jellyfish" by the Gorillaz?
What a strange one :?

If there was a great con in England you guys might actually get on the same bill as Dara O'Brien come to think of it ;) Awesome, ne?
Over-analysing since 1991...ish?
http://harrybentley.deviantart.com/
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 11 Jan 2011, 22:33

Thank you for introducing me to Dara O'Briain. I haven't laughed so hard for that long a period of time.
What are you looking at.
spacecowboy86
First Video: you're kidding

Postby spacecowboy86 » 11 Jan 2011, 22:45

thanks, got to check out that comedian.
concerning the global warming thing kathleen. I, like those people, think it is a "hoax" but not because people are trying to trick me into buying expensive and better cars but because I am one of the people that believe it is a natural cycle, and will end in a few decades.
heres a news article that shows both arguments both for the popular opinion and the more minor opinion I have.

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-07-11/tech/globalwarming.overview_1_average-surface-temperature-warming-united-nations-intergovernmental-panel?_s=PM:TECH
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 12 Jan 2011, 00:20

There is undeniably climate change happening, however, the causes are debatable, as there is little conclusive evidence for either side of the argument. There is a lot of correlation of rising industry to a rise in global temperature, but there's no way to be certain that the global temperature rise is caused by industrialization or by natural cycles.

All things considered, I do try and watch the kind of waste that I personally create. Wasting less means paying less overall for goods, services, and utilities. If it helps the environment, great; if it doesn't, then at least it helped me to save some money.
AdmralAckbar
First Video: High Noon

Postby AdmralAckbar » 12 Jan 2011, 00:59

I listen to old podcasts whist falling asleep (not because they are sleep inducing but rather because I enjoy them). Flattering or creepy?
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 12 Jan 2011, 01:41

AdmralAckbar wrote:I listen to old podcasts whist falling asleep (not because they are sleep inducing but rather because I enjoy them). Flattering or creepy?

I've done the same, but not just with LRRcasts. It's surprisingly rather soothing to have people talking in the background while you doze off. I find some lets-plays work rather well for it.

My experience with 9/11 was ... interesting. I was in 8th grade, which meant I was in my last year of middle school. My school was weird in a number of ways but in this case, they tried really hard to keep the information from us, saying the network was down and what not, but the web of lies started to break and I feel that they thought they should tell us something. Even then, when the principle came on the PA all he said was something like "a large act of vandalism was committed on a new york land mark." It was my Spanish teacher who actually explained what happened.

And of course, next year I was at the highschool and my grade got to hear all of the stories about how that principle handled it really well and calmed everyone down and how it united everyone in the school. Of course everyone in my grade just had the memories of the school that lied to them and patronized them.
IJJazek
First Video: Fun With Condoms

Postby IJJazek » 12 Jan 2011, 01:46

I was a little choked when my last question got skipped but in the end it was awesome, kind of like pulling a foil primeval titan!
Would you Wharrgarble, if I asked you to Wharrgarble?
Zagzag
First Video: Smallpox

Postby Zagzag » 12 Jan 2011, 06:27

Have we had the podcast for Santa secrets?
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 12 Jan 2011, 06:35

Zagzag wrote:Have we had the podcast for Santa secrets?

I believe it was covered in the exquisitely named Decadent Magic Trailers: James Cameron Sucks Xmas podcast.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 13 Jan 2011, 14:55

I don't think it was, but I'm usually wrong.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 13 Jan 2011, 15:44

I stand corrected. I just double checked, and they stop at Ways to Avoid Christmas in that podcast. Which, by my calculations, means they never talked about about Santa Secrets in a podcast. I'm not sure why I thought they had. Maybe I read some posts on Twitter about the giant Creepy Doll and conflated them into an imaginary podcast.
dex-dex
First Video: buttstallation
Location: Oakville ON (I need to stop leaving my Oakville on)

Postby dex-dex » 13 Jan 2011, 20:21

I still think that James should have called it touch nuts.
and for some reason when Graham said "don't you talk to me about grammar" made me pee myself with laughter.

when 9/11 happened I was eleven so that would be grade five there was an announcement over the PA system at school. We could not watch the news because our school had no way of accessing cable (yeah our school was so low tech) . most of us had no clue what the world trade centre was.
shows how much I knew about the world at eleven.
andy25100
First Video: can't remember

Postby andy25100 » 15 Jan 2011, 06:31

HarryBentley wrote:If there was a great con in England you guys might actually get on the same bill as Dara O'Brien come to think of it ;) Awesome, ne?

There's always the edinburgh festival, but they'll probably be just them but they will still be awesome despite it will probably mess up with the escapist deadline
Is feeling terribly happy, in england
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 15 Jan 2011, 09:12

I've seen Dara O'Briain live a couple of times now, he's twice as good when there's an audience laughing with you.

Anyway, I'd better go look into procuring Persona 4...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
CD Repo Man

Postby CD Repo Man » 16 Jan 2011, 00:38

I love Paul F. Tompkins and his podcast should be just as awesome as himself.

I was waking up to go to 5th grade when i heard about 9/11. Hearing LRR talk about being in university by then makes me feel so damn young. I wish i could have been old enough to fully comprehend the consequences of that day.
"Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for sega" -Brodie
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 16 Jan 2011, 05:02

I was pretty jaded at the time, I fully realised the actual event wouldn't impact my life one iota, but that I'd be feeling the consequences of other individuals' reactions to it for years.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 18 Jan 2011, 00:52

I remember coming home from school to find my brother in front of the TV watching the news. I was pretty young at the time and had no idea what the World Trade Centre actually was, but I was aware enough to know that this was hugely significant. Probably the first time I just sat and watched the news rather than wanting to put cartoons on.

Jimmy Carr is a very funny British comedian. As is Michael MacIntyre. One of my personal favourites however is a welsh bloke called Rhod Gilbert.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 18 Jan 2011, 01:39

IJJazek wrote:I was a little choked when my last question got skipped but in the end it was awesome, kind of like pulling a foil primeval titan!

speaking as someone who has also pulled a foil primeval titan i know that feeling of awesome
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Bernard
First Video: DBFH2

Postby Bernard » 22 Jan 2011, 22:55

I was a little late in listening to this one, but I just wanted to point out that Hu is from Taiwan, not Hong Kong.

Return to “LRRcast”