LRRcast for January 2012

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Re: LRRcast for January 2012

Postby JayBlanc » 10 Feb 2012, 06:11

My suggestion for what we call the decade of 2001-2011.

That F***ing Decade.
svendrex
First Video: 1337

Postby svendrex » 10 Feb 2012, 08:00

I was worried when I saw that my question was last that you would not have time to talk about it at all, and I am very glad that you were able to answer it. Thanks.

The ad that made me think of the question was a recruitment ad for the US Marines on the escapist. The ad features a short shot of guy puking as an effect of the strenuous training.

2 things to note
1) I am in the US
2) I don't have a problem with people joining the military, just was not a fan of the tone of this particular ad.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Feb 2012, 09:02

It's because those ads are actually made to discourage people from joining the military (since so many people join during recessions simply because they can't find any other work).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
The Architect
First Video: Unskippable

Postby The Architect » 10 Feb 2012, 09:32

First: the platinum blonde and pixie cut is my absolute favourite combination of colour and cut on a woman. Dead sexy.

Second, re:Skyrim; The Dwemer are not dead, they're just gone. No one ever says they died off, just that they disappeared. And in all the Dwemer ruins you delve into, not one Dwemer body to be found and we're finding Draugur from back before the Nords came to Skyrim and dragons ruled the land. So to follow a horrible bit of cliche, "no body, no death". The Dwemer ain't dead, they just aren't home right now.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 10 Feb 2012, 10:14

On the dwarf topic: Dwarves originated in Norse mythology, which is why a Scottish accent doesn't fit with them in that regard. Of course, by that logic I'm sure a lot of mythical creatures would have very different accents. That would an interesting change for a game to do I suppose; Norse dwarves, English orcs, German elves... it would certainly be different.
Fun fact: In Norse mythology, dwarves were originally maggot-like creatures that ate the remains of a dead god or godlike thing (I don't recall the exact details off the top of my head) before they were granted intelligence.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 10 Feb 2012, 18:03

Dwarves don't have a Scottish accent in France. Actually, when doing a translation, I was faced with a dwarf who had a Scottish accent, and the story pointed out to his accent so I couldn't just leave it out (as would be normal for a French story). For a variety of reasons, I gave him a Norse accent instead. (For the record, one such reason is that nobody would be able to recognise a Scottish accent in France. For that matter, Scrooge has no accent in the French version. Nor does Haddock in the original.)

Another accent we don't have: pirates. Pirates just speak like everyone else in France.

About the ads, when I was still in France, all the ads on the forums were for LRR stuff. It seemed weird to me that they had adspace to advertise their own stuff, until I moved to the US, saw the US ads and realised the LRR ones were placeholders or something.

I used to have caviar on Christmas. I never liked it. It's salty and weird and it melts in your mouth, and as a kid I always felt like I was eating boogers. And well, as an adult it didn't leave.
Then I became vegetarian anyway (row is usually considered non-vegetarian because they gut the fish to get to it. Don't ask me why the same logic doesn't apply to milk since they kill the baby to get the milk, that's just how it seems to go).
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
MetalMalethar
First Video: Echo

Postby MetalMalethar » 10 Feb 2012, 21:10

on the topic of Kathleen's hair, i could personally go either way on the color of it. but honestly, as a metalhead guy with long hair, i always want to be able to keep my hair healthy, so i'm always asking for advice and tips, usually from my mom. here's a tip: constant bleaching can harm your scalp over time. my 6th grade english teacher went bald that way.

but honestly, i do kinda miss the brunet you :(
Drinking Tea Enables You Joyful
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 11 Feb 2012, 22:29

I honestly couldn't care less about Kathleen's hair colour or length. My opinion is, what matters is that you like it. Your loved ones liking it is a nice bonus but comes afterwards. The rest of the world can cry themselves to sleep if they don't like it.

But since we're sharing opinions, I usually find short hair more practical.
Varya
First Video: Unskippable-Eternal Sonata

Postby Varya » 12 Feb 2012, 11:23

Jamfalcon wrote:On the dwarf topic: Dwarves originated in Norse mythology, which is why a Scottish accent doesn't fit with them in that regard. Of course, by that logic I'm sure a lot of mythical creatures would have very different accents. That would an interesting change for a game to do I suppose; Norse dwarves, English orcs, German elves... it would certainly be different.
Fun fact: In Norse mythology, dwarves were originally maggot-like creatures that ate the remains of a dead god or godlike thing (I don't recall the exact details off the top of my head) before they were granted intelligence.

Original Questioner here.
Well the Scottish accent is understandable. They are nords, scotts are nords, also, a lot of scots are a mix of Vikings and celtic tribes, typically redheads and bearded. So it's a logical leap. I just think that now with Skyrim and the recent Girl With The Dragon Tatoo movie putting the scandinavian accent on the map, it might sneak in as a new norm.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 12 Feb 2012, 16:10

Sorry to be painfully obvious, but you know what you call general crew that don't necessarily have a specific job?

Runners.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Feb 2012, 19:36

On the subject of Kathleen's hair, while it's not to my personal taste, when my wife ran in to you and Graham last weekend, she says that you look like a model in real life.

So there's that.
PJDuchesne
First Video: I really can't remember...

Postby PJDuchesne » 12 Feb 2012, 20:22

My brother and I both visited LRR during a family visit to our grandparents in Victoria a few summers back. We went in, met them all (Except Mat I think), bought $80 ish worth of shirts and then went on our merry way.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Feb 2012, 00:53

PlasmaCow wrote:Sorry to be painfully obvious, but you know what you call general crew that don't necessarily have a specific job?

Runners.

I think the term Runners is usually applied to us, the fans.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
PlasmaCow
First Video: Desert Bus 4 / The Job

Postby PlasmaCow » 13 Feb 2012, 02:57

yes, but on a film set or backstage at a show "runner" is the proper term for someone with no specific role as such, but that does various small jobs that help move the production along, be it supplying coffee and tea or making sure all the actors are on set at the right time.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 13 Feb 2012, 08:25

I like to think that we all help, in some way, to move the production of LRR videos along. Sure, we don't bring them coffee, but we do other things. :)
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 13 Feb 2012, 12:11

metcarfre wrote:On the subject of Kathleen's hair, while it's not to my personal taste, when my wife ran in to you and Graham last weekend, she says that you look like a model in real life.

So there's that.

O_O

That's... one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me. Wow.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 13 Feb 2012, 14:51

TBH she's quite jealous of your discipline with regard to health and weight loss. She's not on the forums, but her handle on twitter is @sarahmetcrafter
Phelan
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby Phelan » 14 Feb 2012, 22:37

Animar, Soul of the Elements. Because I structured the deck around him, Eldrazi, and creatures with X in their casting costs. That turn where you lay down It That Betrays and a giant Primordial Hydra and still have most of your mana open: Priceless.
I will never lie to you; I will never trick you; you will say yes to me.

My friend and I are making a let's play. It's similar to the GPLP but not as good. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLPTheater?feature=mhee
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 15 Feb 2012, 18:42

PlasmaCow wrote:yes, but on a film set or backstage at a show "runner" is the proper term for someone with no specific role as such, but that does various small jobs that help move the production along, be it supplying coffee and tea or making sure all the actors are on set at the right time.

I've generally heard of them as PA's or production assistants, although that term tends to refer to interns and such.
reptile

Postby reptile » 15 Feb 2012, 20:00

Avistew wrote:Another accent we don't have: pirates. Pirates just speak like everyone else in France.

Fun fact: the "pirate accent" is really just an exaggerated accent of the West Country of England.

One of the most influential early pirate movies was the 1950 Disney production of Treasure Island. In it, Long John Silver was played by Robert Newton, who was from Dorset, and he exaggerated his native accent for the role.

Since the movie was fairly successful, other actors started copying his accent when they would portray pirates, so that's why pirates in popular media now seem to all have West Country accents--because in one particular film, there was one particular pirate who happened to be from the West Country.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 15 Feb 2012, 20:46

reptile wrote:
Avistew wrote:Another accent we don't have: pirates. Pirates just speak like everyone else in France.

Fun fact: the "pirate accent" is really just an exaggerated accent of the West Country of England.

One of the most influential early pirate movies was the 1950 Disney production of Treasure Island. In it, Long John Silver was played by Robert Newton, who was from Dorset, and he exaggerated his native accent for the role.

Since the movie was fairly successful, other actors started copying his accent when they would portray pirates, so that's why pirates in popular media now seem to all have West Country accents--because in one particular film, there was one particular pirate who happened to be from the West Country.

I was actually aware of it :) But thanks for the detailed explanation.
Because the French dub of the movie never translated the accent, the pirate thing didn't catch on the same way at all in French. I suspect it's the case for many language that didn't give Long John Silver a special accent in their dub.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 16 Feb 2012, 07:38

It's also worthy of note that very few (if any) other countries have as many accents as Britain.
Avistew

Postby Avistew » 16 Feb 2012, 11:55

How true. It even seems people in the same family don't always have the same accent.
dex-dex
First Video: buttstallation
Location: Oakville ON (I need to stop leaving my Oakville on)

Postby dex-dex » 27 Feb 2012, 20:07

To respond to Kathleen's hair.
at first I was not a fan and I thought you looked lovely with dark hair and why people would want to be blonde. Considering I am a natural blonde and it is about the same colour as Matt's, I have now had the urge to bleach my hair and even my friend Vicky was asking me to dye her hair white. soo I saw thumbs up! YOUR STARTING A TREND! :D
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 07 Mar 2012, 00:57

Dearest Kathleen.

I think the slightly longer bobbed look from the christmas song you guys did suits you best. Its low maintenance while still saying "I'm feminine" and is well suited to a variety of colours. I say blue next. Also, less likely to be confused for aging hipster.

EDIT: I also looked up board of Canada because of you and goddamn if you aren't right.

Return to “LRRcast”