LRRcast for Spare Jonny the Tax Assassin

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Re: LRRcast for Spare Jonny the Tax Assassin

Postby Gap Filler » 03 Apr 2012, 04:24

Also funny how Kathleen's purported lack of interest in black metal squares with the many Immortal references which have snuck in over the years. Or Guitar Hero Buzrum.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Apr 2012, 05:42

NotAwesomeAtAll wrote:What are Google Plus hangouts? Actually, what is Google Plus?

Google Plus is Google's attempt to steal more of your soul through a social network. Think Facebook, without it actually being Facebook. Hangouts are a group video chat system that works through the social network. It's more than a bit buggy/glitchy, but honestly is the best and easiest way to get 10 people into a video chat short of spending several thousand dollars on dedicated hardware, software, and network infrastructure.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
bravetoaster

Postby bravetoaster » 03 Apr 2012, 05:47

Two things, quickly:

1. The first time you guys were on the couch, the audio levels were awful for everyone (but Graham, maybe?). I usually just listen to the podcasts, so that kind of sucked. Seems way better in this one.

2. I'm probably alone on this, but the way Graham says "I went tubing" made me crack up.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 Apr 2012, 06:17

Vigafre wrote:Oh wait a sec.

Where's Ditto's commentary thing?

It is extremely long and extremely boring and nobody actually wants to listen to my stupid, nasally voice for that long. :P I really should have (and could have) cut it down to be more reasonably length-ed, so that was my bad. But, to be fair, I didn't expect them to skip a week (so they'd have four videos to talk about instead of two) nor did I expect a three page AskLRR thread. @_@ I do not blame them in the slightest for not including it. C'est trop.

If you really, REALLY want to hear it (believe me, you don't, not really) you can find it here.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Apr 2012, 06:38

I assure you, I will be listening to it as soon as I get home.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 03 Apr 2012, 08:02

Casey and Finnegan, or Chester the Crow, Annie, Alex, and Truffles?

After the puppeteer who did Casey & Finnegan retired instead of replacing her they brought in the new characters listed above.

Personally I prefer you Casey & Finnegan (primarily Finnegan)... it you get past the fact that a man has an boy living in the tree in his back yard that he is not related to at all...
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 03 Apr 2012, 09:41

I am really tempted to try getting back into D&D by hosting google hang-out sessions!

However, I'd probably be weird, and try to get people playing the RPGs a couple of my game-dev friends have made, "Worldtree" and "Iron Claw". "Worldtree" in particular might work better with Google hang-outs because it doesn't use dice to resolve random events, instead the DM draws from a shuffled deck of cards.
NotAwesomeAtAll
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 03 Apr 2012, 09:44

AlexanderDitto wrote:

It is extremely long and extremely boring and nobody actually wants to listen to my stupid, nasally voice for that long. :P I really should have (and could have) cut it down to be more reasonably length-ed, so that was my bad. But, to be fair, I didn't expect them to skip a week (so they'd have four videos to talk about instead of two) nor did I expect a three page AskLRR thread. @_@ I do not blame them in the slightest for not including it. C'est trop.

If you really, REALLY want to hear it (believe me, you don't, not really) you can find it here.

That was actually pretty interesting,but I do have a new question for you. Why do you sound so hauntingly familiar? It is genuinely eerie.
Also:Idahoes is now my new favorite term.
Last edited by NotAwesomeAtAll on 03 Apr 2012, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
"It's very pissing in the wind, but the sky is on fire, and it's the best I can manage."
-David Mitchell
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Apr 2012, 09:49

JayBlanc wrote:I am really tempted to try getting back into D&D by hosting google hang-out sessions!

If it worked with my schedule I would be up for playing an RPG on G+ in a heartbeat. If nobody else was up for it I could probably DM a 3.5 campaign, since I have one a I ran for my friends a couple years back that would likely work very well as the framework for a new game.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
NotAwesomeAtAll

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 03 Apr 2012, 10:08

Wow,this is alot of good advice on how to paly D&D long-range,thanks! My only reservation is that I have never actually been able to play a real game, and I don't want to be "that noob" who hampers more experienced players. I guess I was hoping to find a way to play with other newcomers to gain some beginners experiance.
That said, this is wonderfully helpful feedback. Thank you again!
"It's very pissing in the wind, but the sky is on fire, and it's the best I can manage."
-David Mitchell
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 03 Apr 2012, 10:55

You'll pick it up much quicker playing with people that already understand the game. If nobody knows what they're doing, it can take a long time to get things right.

And I think most D&D players are understanding enough to be patient with "that noob", because they'll all remember all the things they did wrong at the beginning ;)
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 03 Apr 2012, 11:16

Response to Geekish Memorabilia:

Does a watercolor poster for My Neighbor Totoro count? Or a Bob-omb plush? Olympic Mountain Dew Can? Golden Sun map?

Well, I do have that Aki Ross figure that KingKool sent me...
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 Apr 2012, 11:58

NotAwesomeAtAll wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:

That was actually pretty interesting,but I do have a new question for you. Why do you sound so hauntingly familiar? It is genuinely eerie.
Also:Idahoes is now my new favorite term.

Ah, that is because I am the eerie, distant voice emanating from your cupboards at night. :P In all seriousness, I'm not sure! Maybe... I just have a really mundane, common voice? Where might you have heard me before? (Do you listen to the Fangamer podcast?)

Chuckles wrote:Golden Sun map?

YES!!! <3 <3 <3
rpg1203
First Video: the job
Location: Mokena, Illinois, USA, North america, earth, SoL system

Postby rpg1203 » 03 Apr 2012, 12:00

I think the couch is okay but only up to the point that it becomes full. last time every one was on the couch it seemed okay, but this time i kept feeling bad for Cam as he has to use a regular chair and didnt seem to be able to relax as much as the rest of you on the couch. so basically 4 or less stick to the couch, any more, go for the table
Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Tensen01
Sketchasaurus Rex
First Video: Who Watches Movies?

Postby Tensen01 » 03 Apr 2012, 13:12

JayBlanc wrote:I am really tempted to try getting back into D&D by hosting google hang-out sessions!

However, I'd probably be weird, and try to get people playing the RPGs a couple of my game-dev friends have made, "Worldtree" and "Iron Claw". "Worldtree" in particular might work better with Google hang-outs because it doesn't use dice to resolve random events, instead the DM draws from a shuffled deck of cards.

Jay, I seriously recommend checking out http://www.infrno.net/, like I mentioned before. It's like Google+ Hangouts but it's actually built for gaming. I know for a fact that there's even a game of Iron Claw being run on the site currently. I'll also throw out the carrot that making, running and playing games is free ;)
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 03 Apr 2012, 13:21

AlexanderDitto wrote:

"Kathleen, dear, that is not a good look for you." <3 Youuuuu are my favorite. And don't worry; while it went on, it wasn't really monotonous or draggy. You just sounded like a cool dude with whom I would like to hang out talking about the inception of this video!
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 03 Apr 2012, 13:23

I... totally didn't add the MP3 on. Shit.

Sorry Ditto!
Maybe we'll upload it separately.
NotAwesomeAtAll

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 03 Apr 2012, 13:27

AlexanderDitto:
Ah, that is because I am the eerie, distant voice emanating from your cupboards at night. :P In all seriousness, I'm not sure! Maybe... I just have a really mundane, common voice? Where might you have heard me before? (Do you listen to the Fangamer podcast?)

I have listened to it before, but that's not where I recognize it. I did figure this out! You sound like this Tobuscus guy on youtube (I would not actually suggest you check him out, he is rather meh overall) except you don't act like you just snorted a mountain of cocaine. You are much less grating to listen to, and probably more entertaining.
Edit GAH! the qoute thing vanished.Sorry about that, now it just looks out of place.
-David Mitchell
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 03 Apr 2012, 14:20

Cam had it right; Paragade is playing Mass Effect with mostly paragon, but occasionally picking the funny Renegade options. It's regarded with derision in some parts of the fan community.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Apr 2012, 14:24

It's also an in joke in Mass Effect 2 - there's a vending machine in the Citadel that plays a funny message whenever you approach it. One of the messages is "Paragade? Who has that?" Then it starts threatening you to buy its drinks.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Season's Beatings
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Season's Beatings » 03 Apr 2012, 14:27

WAYF wrote:You guys are totally the Monty Python of your generation! Just to list a few examples of your Pythonesque work:
Dinosaur, Time is Money, The Danger of Cigarettes, Poker Before Dusk, Crime and Punishment, Trivial, Morgan's Problem and to some extent The Secret Life of Toast and Offensisensitivity.
I love your completely whacky senses of humour. :D

I'll probably get flamed and/or banned for this.

But I disagree. All of those videos are from at least 2 years ago. Most of the 'whacky' videos are from roughly season 5 and earlier. In my opinion, LRR has been getting tamer in recent years. I don't know if that is because they are now employed and have to work to standards or simply an attempt to refine their writing skills or having no time to truly devote to a given project because of the large work volume.

Don't take this as a hate speech. I've watched nearly every LRR video I can get my hands on. I wouldn't have signed up for the forum if I didn't like your works. I just don't think you've grown as artists for a while. I realise how hurtful that can sound and I'm sorry. With your older videos, you did a lot more in the way of effects even if they weren't necessary. While that got rather grating after a while, I saw it as a good thing. You were striving to learn new techniques and skills for future videos. A lot of the more recent ones haven't really brought anything new to the table except for a dolly shot here and there. You could like your current style and say that its the best fit for you. I think you should aim higher and try to be artists first and content creators second.

I realise you have a massive workload but I look at it that you're aiming for quantity over quality. Its like any extensively padded game. You are the Assassin's Creed Revelations of internet comedy. Large chunks of okay punctuated with small amounts of really good and a few features which I honestly think could be cut from the roster. Trim the fat from your souls if you will. Even down to video length currently. You seem to have an informal rule of hitting a 5 minute sketch whether the comedy demands it or not. Even RapidFire back in the day, I thought could have been a bit faster paced. I think this is why Feed Dump and Checkpoint are so popular. Its a lot more available and faster paced with the gags and there is no unnecessary padding or setup. Even ENN which never seemed to find its audience. If it was a failure, you'd never get hired by Penny Arcade to do Checkpoint.

Don't take this as insults. I'm trying to be constructive with my criticism. As Yahtzee has often staded the worst thing you can do you an artist is tell them their work is perfect when it isn't.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 Apr 2012, 15:42

Graham wrote:I... totally didn't add the MP3 on. Shit.

Sorry Ditto!
Maybe we'll upload it separately.

Haha don't worry about it! I told you, it's terrible. Besides, everyone who actually wants to hear it is probably already in this thread and will see the link I posted to it. :P

NotAwesomeAtAll wrote:You sound like this Tobuscus guy on youtube (I would not actually suggest you check him out, he is rather meh overall) except you don't act like you just snorted a mountain of cocaine. You are much less grating to listen to, and probably more entertaining.

Haha that guy talks a lot faster than I do! But his voice doesn't sound weird, so thanks! :D
Season's Beatings

Postby Season's Beatings » 03 Apr 2012, 15:45

People who snort mountains of cocaine are actually really boring. All they do is talk fast and have blank expressions because coke semi paralyzes faces.
NotAwesomeAtAll

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 03 Apr 2012, 15:53

To Season's Beatings: That is what I was saying, the Tobuscus guy just sits there staring into the camera talking really fast with a blank expression (though sometimes it turns into a rather scary estatic face). Actually the coke theory seems even more valid now, so sincerely thanks in a weird way, I guess.
To AlexanderDitto:You're welcome,and thank you for writing the script to a very entertaining video.
-David Mitchell
Season's Beatings

Postby Season's Beatings » 03 Apr 2012, 16:05

You're welcome, I guess? I think the weirdest part is the jingles he does. They released one with an Assassin's Creed ad which I thought was the stupidest thing ever. Cashing in on 'internet fame' doesn't really play out well compared with proper advertising firms in my opinion.

Return to “LRRcast”