LRRcast for Parent Teacher Geeks have 720 Jonny Gardes?

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

Re: LRRcast for Parent Teacher Geeks have 720 Jonny Gardes?

Postby Graham » 11 May 2012, 12:29

ESandqvist wrote:If you want to, I could transcribe and analyze the Feed Dump jingles and explain what differences and similarities there are, music theory wise ;)
Please do! I'd be fascinated.

Warning, there's a lot of them... :?
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 11 May 2012, 20:16

Is it just me, or is there a major misconception of the terms "nerd" and "geek"? I say this mainly because where you guys are talking about "football geeks" and such.. It's exactly what Chris Hardwick states is the trait of a nerd. A "Nerdist", if you will.

Having a near-obsession with whatever topic/hobby that you have an endless knowledge of that thing.

I'unno, just found that interesting.

Podcasting~! :D
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 11 May 2012, 23:04

I've always heard "nerd" used to describe someone with a lot of intelligence of a subject, while a "geek" has a lot of knowledge of subject. Usually, when I hear someone call themselves a nerd, it's very specific with math, science, tech, what have you. With geek, it's more broad, even though the general ideal is tech-based.

This is just from what I've heard though.
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 11 May 2012, 23:23

I remember seeing this Nerd/Geek (and possibly another one thrown in too, dork maybe) discussed somewhere before, initially getting a lot of peoples opinions on it then -either- actually looking up the etymology which leads to what I'm about to say/quote/paraphrase OR came to the conclusion themselves because everyone's ideas varied so much...

They are synonyms they both mean the same thing! The different meanings have been added later, hence why there is no consensus on them!

It's my take on them anyway I don't assign different meanings, however I prefer the word geek.
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 May 2012, 23:31

I use nerd to imply, in addition to the zealous knowledge, a lack of social decorum regarding said knowledge. In other words, someone who knows what he is talking about, but talks about it at length, without regard to whether it is appropriate or not.

I use geek to imply the same kind of knowledge, but someone who has restraint, and can recognize appropriate times to expound upon said knowledge.

I have a buddy who's a fitness nut, and he falls closer to the "nerd" side of my personal spectrum, because he can't but help give unsolicited health, fitness, and dietary advice in conversations where it's not exactly appropriate.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 12 May 2012, 03:50

Say, I've been meaning to ask this: are you doing anything weird with in Garage Band (I assume that's how you record the podcast) when you export the MP3? Because Google Reader (and by extension, the podcatcher I use) is thinking it's a video file, and it's really kinda screwing up my podcatcher.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Aydin225
First Video: arms race

Postby Aydin225 » 12 May 2012, 06:43

I absolutely adore actual play DND podcasts. One from the LRR crew would quickly be at the top of my list.

Those needing a DND podcast fix in the interim should check out Critical Hit from the major spoilers crew or Thursday Knights. The audio quality in those is significantly better than most.

IF you guys are worried about trying to release a four+ hour podcast regularly, you could do what critical hit does--they play once a month and then release an chunk of their session every week interlaced with a mailbag segment.
Hekla
First Video: The Whole Story: Desert Bus

Postby Hekla » 12 May 2012, 16:53

My family still sing the happy birthday song twice, once in English and then again in Welsh, even though my siblings and I know almost no Welsh.
I'm also QuintonDreaming. Stupid username availability prevents me from always being an Icelandic volcano.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 14 May 2012, 06:41

The Tortured Soul wrote:They are synonyms they both mean the same thing! The different meanings have been added later, hence why there is no consensus on them!

I like you. You get an internet.

Hekla wrote:My family still sing the happy birthday song twice, once in English and then again in Welsh, even though my siblings and I know almost no Welsh.

Neat! There's also the jokey "calling the birthday person a monkey and telling them they smell funny" verse. Because why not?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 May 2012, 12:50

madAlric wrote:I use nerd to imply, in addition to the zealous knowledge, a lack of social decorum regarding said knowledge. In other words, someone who knows what he is talking about, but talks about it at length, without regard to whether it is appropriate or not.

See, I like this.
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 14 May 2012, 12:57

All I know is that I laid down the specifics of the machine code parameter to Commodore 64 program loading and nobody here called me too nerdy or geeky, so I don't really care what you call each other, you seem to be cool people to me. :-)
Northcutt
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Northcutt » 14 May 2012, 16:47

I'm the Andrew who asked the question about the cartoons! I'm simultaneously excited that my quesiton got answered, and midly disappointed that none of the cartoons I personally had in mind were mentioned. Oh well, win some lose some.
Rakor
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Rakor » 14 May 2012, 17:37

What I'm hearing from this podcast....DnD podcast and cybertech?

Sounds like it's time for some shadowrun.

And yes, you can have a tail.
That's right, it's Rakor.
ESandqvist
First Video: The Eternal Sonata Unskippable orThe Job

Postby ESandqvist » 20 May 2012, 11:24

Graham wrote:
ESandqvist wrote:If you want to, I could transcribe and analyze the Feed Dump jingles and explain what differences and similarities there are, music theory wise ;)
Please do! I'd be fascinated.

Warning, there's a lot of them... :?

Well stay tuned then, I'll make a thread in the LoadingReadyRunners forums as soon as I have something to show.
NickTalksMagic
First Video: Unskippable

Postby NickTalksMagic » 22 May 2012, 08:17

Pleased that my question got answered.
More LRRCasts!
Sometimes, you just have to roll a hard six.
ewhac
First Video: One of the early Unskippables

Postby ewhac » 29 May 2012, 17:26

Tech Question: I also have a Zoom H4n, but on those occasions I've tried to record more than one person, it doesn't sound all that great, especially with the mic that far away. You guys, on the other hand, sound fine -- I can hear all of you, and there's not a lot of room echo.

What settings do you use when recording your LRRcasts?

Return to “LRRcast”