LRRcast Fun with Pop-uaction

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Dominic Appleguard

Re: LRRcast Fun with Pop-uaction

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 26 May 2012, 21:59

Most podcasts don't take Twitter questions. There are usually AskLRR threads put up right before they record.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 26 May 2012, 22:00

Twitter's useful specifically for contacting and keeping up with the LRR crew. There are also a couple of people I know IRL that I follow.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 May 2012, 23:38

What did you do to make me sad?
I probably wasn't really that sad. Never feel bad for posting something.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 May 2012, 23:49

@ Dominic Appleguard: Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those threads then.

#madAlric: I can understand why many people use Twitter, but it's just not something that I'd use. Plus I don't care for social networking sites... especially not after starting my Security+ class. There are so many bad things on the internet that are so easy to get.

@Graham: I was the one who brought up all the really bad things that were implied in the 'Punctu-action' video on the forum here (kids not his, surviving family lost belongings and father, etc) which you mentioned made it depressing when put like that. But I know it isn't anything that's incredibly bad. Especially not compared to some other things.

What I meant to say was more along the lines that, when I'd been posting it, I'd been questioning if I should or not to avoid giving that depressing feelings to others. That's just me overthinking everything like I'm likely doing now though. So no worries.
Jasbraman
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Jasbraman » 27 May 2012, 04:05

Would it be possible to get a link to the PAX panel? I'm having trouble finding it on the you tubes.
"Where the shitting crikey is my nose?"
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 27 May 2012, 07:55

Jasbraman wrote:Would it be possible to get a link to the PAX panel? I'm having trouble finding it on the you tubes.

Here you go.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 27 May 2012, 09:09

The conversation about the GPLP stuff with how easy games would work or whatever (I'm bad at paraphrasing), it reminded me of how Video Games Awesome does their playthroughs. I thought they played on easy mode cuz they weren't that great, but I think I ignored the fact that easy mode would actually make the playthrough more entertaining.

Don't know why I posted that, but oh well.

Also, I recommend Bulletstorm for a GPLP for some reason.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 27 May 2012, 09:34

Oh that!
I wasn't actually sad, it was just sort of "wow, that's a dark way to look at it!"
We didn't intend it to be that grim, for what it's worth.
Jasbraman
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Jasbraman » 27 May 2012, 10:19

Jamfalcon wrote:
Jasbraman wrote:Would it be possible to get a link to the PAX panel? I'm having trouble finding it on the you tubes.

Here you go.
Thank yoooou!
"Where the shitting crikey is my nose?"
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 27 May 2012, 16:11

@JamFalcon: Thanks for putting that up. Hadn't seen it. Now I have. It was funny.

@Graham: I know you guys didn't (and I doubt Andy did either). The joke hadn't killed the sketch for me either or anything like that. I had just figured I'd offer up my... 'unique' viewpoint.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 28 May 2012, 06:42

Also, btw, a little trick we often use in archery for determining "eyed-ness". Take a telescope and ask the person to look trough it. The eye they raise it to (when they are not thinking about what eye to use) is the dominant eye. You could alternatively just use a cardboard tube or something. Or even just ask them to look down an arrow and "sight" a target. All these make people subconsciously use the dominant eye.

And for those curious what it would matter in archery: the dominant eye is used for sighting. Meaning the bow is held in the hand opposite.

IIRC correctly the right to left eye dominance ratio is something like 65% right - 35% left.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 28 May 2012, 14:19

Kapol wrote:But I'm kind of weird in that I really have a strange need to watch things in order. Like Paul mentioned watching Top Gear from the beginning. I'm kind of like that as well. I need to watch everything in order even if it doesn't have a real structure to it. A couple good examples are Scrubs and 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie.' Hell, I would have even prefered watching the LRR series from the beginning. But I only started watching what they had on the Escapist, so I did so from the videos they had.

I was the one who asked that question; I'll expand a little, since I only had so much space to ask my question over Twitter. :)

I actually only discovered LRR through Unskippable and Daily Drop; around that time I started watching the "normal" videos. Eventually I went through the Escapist-era back-catalog. After Desert Bus I decided to watch the rest of cH, and only after that did I start watching other videos. I started with what I could find of Season 1, and currently I'm nearing the end of Season 4.

As you guys said, it's interesting to see where you came from, and how much you've improved over the years. At the same time, I still enjoy the older videos. (this is my way of saying the converse of "the worst insult you can give to an artist is is to tell them 'I like your early work'.")

I did the same thing as Paul with Top Gear; I started with Series 10, then went through in-order. (Some of the Series 10 jokes didn't make sense until I'd gone all the way to Series 9, where they talk about Hammond's crash. :shock: )

With their material in particular, a review is often out-of-date a short time after it airs, whereas even when you guys are referencing "current events" (like in Bioshocked) the joke still works years later.
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Yeti
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Yeti » 29 May 2012, 23:32

Paul looks so tired!
... and Paul read the Xanth novels!?
Paul is now the only other person outside of my immediate family that I know has read them!!

^5 :!:
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 31 May 2012, 03:47

In defence of the crew thing, Matt's comments on the forums and the Con announcements feel, if not vaguely scuttlebuttish, at least less official than say a blog post or a bit in a video bringing it up.

Likewise, the Whatever DVD is common knowledge if you've been following closely, but it doesn't feel like there's been an official word of it on site. Which is fair in a way, since it doesn't sound like the DVD is ready to go just yet.

Piers Anthony is fairly high on (if not atop) the list of people who needs bludgeoning with a good weighty book of metaphors. Followed by a seeing to with a nice thick biology textbook.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
chromerunner
First Video: Unskippable - Jak II

Postby chromerunner » 26 Jun 2012, 19:27

Arriving a little late to the game, I just wanted to throw this in: When Graham is trying to get a hold of the pronunciation of GPLP, his last attempted sounded, to me, like he was trying to speak Klingon under water.

/twocents
Trust in the Harper, the Harper is good.

Return to “LRRcast”