LRRcast Fun with Pop-uaction

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast Fun with Pop-uaction

Postby Graham » 25 May 2012, 16:46

Wooo! New style!
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Re: LRRcast Fun with Pop-uaction

Postby ecks » 25 May 2012, 17:05

Do you guys get more/less ad revenue depending on whether it is skipped or not (once the option comes up)?
I'm just curious because I got some weird Russian one that's apparently 260 seconds long, but the option to skip came up in about 1 second. If you get more money I'm happy to alt tab for a few mins but if not then I'd probably just skip it.

[edit]I missed the end where it said what it was actually for since I opened a new tab to write this post. Effective ad is Effective.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 25 May 2012, 17:09

Thank you so much for these podcasts. They make the work day bearable. :)
EbolaCola
First Video: the rejected mac ads video

Postby EbolaCola » 25 May 2012, 18:19

Graham wrote:Wooo! New style!

I get the feeling I should know this but what style are you referring to?
"He's Undead Jim"
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 25 May 2012, 18:53

They recorded it with the setup they use for MtG drafting, which is how they got it up so damn fast.

RE: Dominant eyes. Pick an object somewhere in the distance and align your finger with it. Open and close your left eye while the right one is open, then do the reverse. You'll notice that one of them will cause the object to "move", popping out of alignment with the finger, and the other will not.

This is because your brain "trusts" one of your eyes a little more than the other. The one that keeps the object fixed is your dominant eye. If you ever try firing a gun, it's handy to know.

I did not ask the initial question and don't especially care about the answer, but hey.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 25 May 2012, 20:25

Hey graham nice shirt! You should wear it for MTGO drafts ;)

Also,
I posted my comment on twitter,
Then opened up the Lrr page saw that you had already posted the cast,
After watching 5 minutes of it you answered my question/comment BEFORE I ASKED IT!
Then after watching the LrrCast I saw your response on twitter, it was super creepy in a awesome way.

It made me smile.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 25 May 2012, 20:56

There actually was a time when both Graham and Paul had beards. It was one of the season one Hustles, where Paul used Pogonophobia as the password to get into Graham's apartment, and when asked about it, Paul defined it and said that it was something he had a vested interest in, while stroking his beard, and Graham agreed that he probably does as well. I'm not sure which episode, but it's there.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
The Tortured Soul

Postby The Tortured Soul » 25 May 2012, 21:13

Paul doesn't drink! My view of him has raised (not that it was ever low), sometimes I feel very alone being a non-drinker!

Also, something I'm not... I don't play magic, so therefore had little to no idea about the Archetypes thing you spoke about... however Spike Jonny seems like it could be the next Jonny episode, He'd gone clean in the last one but if his friends want the old J-Fresh back they might spike his drink!

Also Annika showed up, but no one mentioned anything about her hating things :P My brain was saying "... She hates that" every 10 seconds to what was going on. "She's not facing the camera" My Brain: My cat hates the camera. "She doesn't like going to the vets." "My cat hates the vets" etc :P Somehow I think this was a well established joke missed :P

I got a feeling there was something else I was going to comment on, but I don't remember what it was and I've gotta get to bed, so I'll shut up now!
posting... in england.

Reality is subjective and insanity is just a point of view

• Step 10 ???
  • Step 11 Profit
  • Step 12 Podcast
  • Step 13 Huff a Dong!
Hugums
First Video: Fun with microwaves

Postby Hugums » 25 May 2012, 22:34

This LRR cast bought up one major question for me. There's a bagel factory near the moonbase?
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 25 May 2012, 23:16

I think the crusade Graham mentioned was the fourth, not the third. They were initially financed by Venice, in return for seizing the city of Zara. Alexios IV hired them to support his claim to the Byzantine/Roman throne, then found he couldn't pay them once he was installed on the throne.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 25 May 2012, 23:22

@Dominic: Wow, that's weird. My right eye is dominant.

@chetoos: Good point, I got my dates confused.

@Hugums: Yes! It's tasty.

@Phailhammer: You are correct. Straight 4th crusade all day.
Uberphish
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby Uberphish » 26 May 2012, 00:18

Oh, man, Paul used to read Xanth? I loved those books when I was younger! As I got older and read more of them I started to get a bit tired of the same formula being repeated time and time again with the more interesting older characters being phased out or made irrelevant, but it's still a series I look back on fondly.

Also, medium-time viewer, first time poster. Love your guys' (and gals') work!
Phailhammer
First Video: Fun With Microwaves (I think)

Postby Phailhammer » 26 May 2012, 00:55

"Uberphish" sounds like the name of a particularly aggressive form of malware. You open an email containing it and your computer just explodes.
Preacher wrote:Do you have one of those for every occasion, Phailhammer?
Geoff_B wrote:And lo, the plot to end the world was undone by a bandwidth exceeded notice.
FictionPress stories:
The Vitaris Insurrection, The Outbreak (The latter not written by me, but I am in it.)
MrPayneTrayne
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby MrPayneTrayne » 26 May 2012, 05:22

Speaking of con questions: How much do you hate the "Why did you guys skip boat to PATV?" or "Why did you end ENN" questions?
Join the LoadingReadyRunners Fitocracy group!
http://www.fitocracy.com/group/4504/

First LoadingReadyCosplayer! By a hair, the two dresses from CPt absolutely destroyed my closet cosplay.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 26 May 2012, 07:55

Is it possible that this was a trap question?

There was a hoax once on radio, I forget who did it, but the upshot was that people were sending letters asking, for instance, what it meant if they were right handed and right footed, but left eared and eyed
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Pigmy Wurm

Postby Pigmy Wurm » 26 May 2012, 10:51

the bead thing actually really confused me at first. I think I had stumbled across you once or twice before but my first real exposure to you was unskippable and the cross over you did with Zero Punctuation where Graham's avatar is shown with a beard. When I went to your sight I was really confused for a bit because a) I only knew you guys by your voice and b) in most of the videos that I stumbled upon it was Paul with the beard. So the result was, because of beards their was a short bit where I thought Graham was Paul and vise versa, although I thought it was weird that your unskipable voices didn't match perfectly.

And make it easier to find the MTG Academy and MTGO live drafts I have only seen a few and keep missing them.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 May 2012, 10:54

Skamakazi wrote:Speaking of con questions: How much do you hate the "Why did you guys skip boat to PATV?" or "Why did you end ENN" questions?
I don't hate the question, I just wish there was a better way to get that information out there.
Or ANY information.

No matter where (or in how many places) we post information, so many people who are theoretically reading one or more of those places, miss it.

Like when people ask me ON TWITTER, if we're doing more Let's Play videos. The Twitter where we talk about and LINK TO said videos :(
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 26 May 2012, 13:33

Until I saw the title of this LRRcast, I actually had read the title of last week's video as "punch-uation".
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
ecks

Postby ecks » 26 May 2012, 14:19

Graham wrote:Like when people ask me ON TWITTER, if we're doing more Let's Play videos. The Twitter where we talk about and LINK TO said videos :(

I refuse to know anything unless you come to my house and tell me in person.

You guys ever tried an opt in mailing list thing? You'd think with twitter, facebook, rss feeds, your site, etc, and the fact that most of your stuff is recurring it would be wholly unnecessary, but based on your anecdote maybe not.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 May 2012, 17:02

ecks wrote:
Graham wrote:Like when people ask me ON TWITTER, if we're doing more Let's Play videos. The Twitter where we talk about and LINK TO said videos :(
You guys ever tried an opt in mailing list thing? You'd think with twitter, facebook, rss feeds, your site, etc, and the fact that most of your stuff is recurring it would be wholly unnecessary, but based on your anecdote maybe not.
Like the one on our main page? It's got about 300 subscribers...
ecks

Postby ecks » 26 May 2012, 17:33

:oops:
I must have had that on my screen a hundred times yet I somehow managed to not know it was there. Well, at least I helped prove your point for you. :P
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 26 May 2012, 19:19

Yeah. It's a problem for us :)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 26 May 2012, 20:07

Does the mailing list get anything different than the RSS feed?
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 26 May 2012, 20:31

The real question is, how are you going to fit everyone around the MtGO cam in the future? Four seems to be the limit. Though I suppose with Cam and Matt moving away, there won't be too many people to join you pretty soon.

Also, you guys reminded me that I still haven't watched through my Crapshots DVD. I think I'll go ahead and do that tonight.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 May 2012, 21:39

Hurrah, I made Graham sad! At least I think it was me he was referring to. Maybe I shouldn't posted in that thread at all. I think I was just able to really overthink it and my brain forced me to act on those thoughts.

But I'm kind of weird in that I really have a strange need to watch things in order. Like Paul mentioned watching Top Gear from the beginning. I'm kind of like that as well. I need to watch everything in order even if it doesn't have a real structure to it. A couple good examples are Scrubs and 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie.' Hell, I would have even prefered watching the LRR series from the beginning. But I only started watching what they had on the Escapist, so I did so from the videos they had.

Also, do you guys only take questions from Twitter? I ask because that's something I don't use since... well, there'd be nothing for me to tweet about and I have too many sites to keep track of already.

Return to “LRRcast”