Ways to Find my Friends and Family's Wifi Gear

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Ways to Find my Friends and Family's Wifi Gear

Postby Matt » 09 Jul 2012, 15:27

metcarfre wrote:Of all things I'm super excited for Modern Pentathalon, Which I just found out about on the Jordan, Jesse, Go! podcast.
Its events include;

- Fencing (epee) - great
- Swimming (200m) - okay
- Horse jumping - where the competitors meet their horse on the day of the event and have twenty minutes to 'romance' them before they jump (!!!).
- Cross-country running - combined with-
- Shooting a LASER GUN!!!!! - It's like summer biathlon only better because lasers.

WUT.

-m

I am not angry at you.
UNHchabo
First Video: Back It Up

Postby UNHchabo » 09 Jul 2012, 15:35

FYI James, I pronounce my handle "CHAH-boh", with stress on the first syllable. Then I use "UNH" as basically like a clan tag. You got that part right though; it's tough to try to pronounce my full handle as one word. :)

Games that have at least made my eyes water:
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (every time)
Shadow of the Colossus (when Agro falls; it gets me every time)
Bastion

Games that have come close:
LA Noire
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Kathleen, I know that there is a statute of limitations on spoilers, but I think you have to factor in obscurity; I only discovered the Persona series last year, and I'm still playing through #3. No big deal, just saying the age of the game shouldn't be the only factor. :-D
Looking for an older video? Try this wiki page. (Current through the end of 2008)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Jul 2012, 15:35

metcarfre wrote:- Shooting a LASER GUN!!!!! - It's like summer biathlon only better because lasers.

Sadly, they've cancelled the lasers :(

Wikipedia wrote:There had been plans to replace the use of pistols with laser guns after a successful trial at the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics in Singapore. The use of laser guns would have reduced the cost of the shooting section by approximately two-thirds and opened up new venues for the sport because of the increased levels of safety.[4] These plans were dropped following a vote of the Union Internationale de Pentathlon Moderne (UIPM), the sport's world governing body.[5][6]

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 Jul 2012, 19:24

So Matt is the furry superhero? Wonderful.

And no mention of our incredibly glitched game Graham? I am disappoint. :p Still think it was strange the game wouldn't let you attack when the card made it so you HAD to attack. It was hilariously buggy I think, and it was the only real bug I've seen in DotP 2013.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jul 2012, 20:28

Matt wrote:Sadly, they've cancelled the lasers :(

I'm not sure that's true? Since after the podcast they raised $4500 for that laser gun... You would think that the athlete involved would know...
Nirvana
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Planet

Postby Nirvana » 09 Jul 2012, 20:32

With the addition of the Loading Time videos, have you guys considered making the podcast strictly an AskLRR, rather then going through the past videos as well?

I know the Loading Time's aren't always able to cover the 'Making Of', since you showcase MTG tournaments, etc. But there were a few times in this podcast that were prefaced by 'As shown in the Loading Time..." or something similar, and it seems like a duplication of effort.
Check out my weekly WWE RAW reviews at http://www.RingsideAcademy.com
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 09 Jul 2012, 21:40

So, when the video started I legitimately thought to myself 'Oh look, they have Tim with them this time!' >_<

Now that I think about it, I think I say Ex-Spear-ment too...

Matt, just think of all the possibilities!
- white fur black flies
- white fur Canada geese
- or even a white fur polar bear!
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 09 Jul 2012, 23:33

metcarfre wrote:
Matt wrote:Sadly, they've cancelled the lasers :(

I'm not sure that's true? Since after the podcast they raised $4500 for that laser gun... You would think that the athlete involved would know...

I'd be more worried about competitors trying to "romance" the horse. The implications are... unsettling. Maybe they should have used a different word?
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 10 Jul 2012, 02:15

Moon_Called wrote:Hey, so I don't know if anyone else is having this problem but I can't download this podcast's audio. When I try I get a second-long file that opens Media player and tells me I can only watch the podcast on Blip TV. I don't know if this is intentional, but I was really looking forward to listening to this on the bus today. =x

Yeah, I'm having the same problem. earlier I could open the podcast in WMP and then save it, but now it won't even let me open the podcast in WMP and it only gives me the "only on blip tv"

Anyone got a solution for this annoying problem?
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jul 2012, 09:59

Let us look into that. Sorry for the issue.
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 11 Jul 2012, 09:55

CorruptedValor wrote:Red 5 makes Firefall, and they're not a Chinese company. Aren't they based in California?

The studio is American, but they are a subsidiary of The9, a Chinese MMO publisher. So I guess everyone is right, sort of.

Though I do expect for Firefall to reflect more on American gaming design sensibilities. The9s biggest success was the Chinese localization of WoW; being that Red5 has a lot of former Blizzard employees they probably are allowed a bit of leeway from the publisher.
and now; back to me.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Jul 2012, 18:57

Well, when red 5 is involved, the truth gets told, from a certain point of view.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Don Reba
First Video: cH05

Postby Don Reba » 12 Jul 2012, 01:37

In many LRRCast videos, Kathleen keeps glancing at the camera uncomfortably... as if she KNOWS.
Dracs
First Video: Feed Dump

Postby Dracs » 12 Jul 2012, 04:00

Just a point on when you guys were talking about the pronunciation of Jaguar and how the American way is actually closer to the original. While we brits may like to think our terminology is more grammatically correct than the American (or in this case Canadian) usage it's actually the other way around. American pronunciations and terms have are often unchanged from when they were brought over by British settlers. For example, pants. Here in the U.K that means underwear while in America it would mean trousers. Yet the term originally comes from the name given to a Venecian style of trousers called panatlone. This then was adopted by the brits to refer to all trouser like clothing as pants. So actually it's us who have deviated the most.

Sorry, just finished my BA in English, these things kind of stick with you.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jul 2012, 05:47

Hmm. Regarding the deserted island, if you had access to Twitter, or any other form of communications, determining your longitude (east-west location) would be rather easy. Just tweet when the sun crosses the horizon, and someone can compare that to when the sun the sun rises in Greenwich, England, and that will significantly narrow down the search field. The tricky part, in an interesting reversal, is finding your latitude. In the past, sailors would be familiar with the constellations and would use them to determine their north-south position (as at any given longitude, the stars are going to stay at the same angle above the horizon), but it wasn't until relatively recently (late 18th century) that we could keep time accurately enough for ships to determine east-west location. In contrast, the average person today is more likely to have an accurate timepiece than detailed knowledge of the constellations.
Nonetheless, if you could tweet a picture, that would be an easy solution. A shot of the horizon and some stars above it would be enough for a rescue team to narrow down your location. Otherwise, it would be down to trying to recognize one of the major constellations (Orion, Big Dipper, Polaris in the North, Southern Cross in the south), and trying to estimate its angle above the horizon. A sextant app would be very helpful here.
So, with the time difference from the Prime Meridian, and approximate altitude of a star in the sky, you would be able to direct a rescue team to your approximate location. Still probably going to be a large search area, but with some luck, rescue is not beyond reach through twitter alone.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 12 Jul 2012, 07:25

Dracs wrote:While we brits may like to think our terminology is more grammatically correct than the American (or in this case Canadian) usage it's actually the other way around.

I was touching on this earlier. English English has quite a "colourful" history.
wurmsrus
First Video: the job

Postby wurmsrus » 13 Aug 2012, 13:38

On the cheese wedding cake, it reminded of how a few years back a family friend had their wedding cake made out of Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

Return to “LRRcast”