LRRcast 2014-09-19

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast 2014-09-19

Postby Graham » 24 Sep 2014, 11:06

This week join Graham, Kathleen, Cam and Paul as they chat about the most recent episode of cHustle and answer your questions.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Re: LRRcast 2014-09-19

Postby Jonci » 24 Sep 2014, 13:45

Graham and Kathleen are soft-shelled heathens!
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 24 Sep 2014, 17:38

I bought batteries for my camera with the power indicator thing for my microphone PRECISELY so I will always know if it has enough power.

Japan is 4713.400 miles from Victoria, a 12hr flight, and England is 4769.888 from Victoria, a a 10hr, 40min flight.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
TMC_SHerpa
First Video: umm something from enn or unskipable?

Postby TMC_SHerpa » 24 Sep 2014, 18:58

The Voynich manuscript. Thank you internet for helping me figure out what I spent the last half of the video trying to remember.
Lazy and willing to work very hard to stay that way.

Also dang misplaced caps!
charl
First Video: First episode of Check Point

Postby charl » 25 Sep 2014, 09:59

Your discussion on the monarchy of Canada is very similar to what you'd hear from a discussion among Swedish people about our monarchy.

And tbh, I agree with Kathleen. It's like... ok, it's not fair that the nominal (powerless and entirely symbolic) head of state is determined by bloodline but on the other hand what would be the point of changing it? Like Cam pointed out, it's not like we'd get to actually vote on who becomes head of state; it'd become an entirely representative parliamentary affair. And what would be the point? Maybe we'd arguably save a little bit of money from the monarchy being quite expensive to uphold, but on the other hand they probably by all statistical accounts bring in more money to the country's economy than they cost, the ridiculous cost of the annual appanage on the tax payers' expense nonetheless. So it's like... yeah, probably, by all ideological accounts we should be a republic by now, but seriously why the fuck would we be bothered to go through that costly constitution-changing multi-year change when the benefit would be close to zero? Our country is already classed among the most democratic on the planet and you know what, the king being around or not would have no effect on that.
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 26 Sep 2014, 02:58

Re: the Corrector's Commentary discussion, I think I like Graham's idea better. Doing a commentary on a film where one or both people have never seen it before just seems like a recipe for painful, awkward listening and a severely diminished watching experience. Just like I prefer to have seen the movie in question before ever listening to a commentary, so that I'm not constantly trying to understand what the hell's going on, I prefer to listen to commentaries where the people talking aren't doing the same.

I think Graham's idea splits the difference nicely - you still have the immediacy of having just watched it for the first time, without the hassle and awkwardness of stopping every five minutes to fill the other in on what's going on. It also gives the movie its due - seeing a film for the first time while someone else goes on a deep dive telling you about it (and you're expected to give feedback at the same time) is going to heavily colour the experience.

For instance, Tarkovsky's Stalker would not work AT ALL for an entirely fresh commentary. It's long and slow and dream-like and having to talk over it would incredibly diminish a first viewing. Watch it once, then do the commentary. Would love to hear what you guys think of it, but only if you've already seen it on its own terms.

I just really love Stalker you guys, and I feel very strongly about movies in general.

Return to “LRRcast”