LRRcast - Odd Jobs Part 1

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast - Odd Jobs Part 1

Postby Graham » 04 Feb 2015, 11:55

This week Graham, Paul, Kathleen and Ian talk odd jobs. Silly things we did, before we started to do silly things professionally.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Re: LRRcast - Odd Jobs Part 1

Postby Jamfalcon » 04 Feb 2015, 19:50

This was a really good topic, I thought. Lots of fun stories. I'd heard a decent amount of Graham and Paul's over the years in older podcasts (and maybe Desert Buses?) but there were still plenty of interesting parts from all involved. Nice to hear more from Ian, since he hasn't had quite the same exposure as the longer term LRRfolks. And hearing about Kathleen's upbringing between this and the Magnum podcast brought up a couple similarities to mine, which was interesting (namely, being homeschooled and poor, and some of the effects of those).

Looking forward to the next one!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
TheHokeyPokey
First Video: Unskippable pilot

Postby TheHokeyPokey » 06 Feb 2015, 09:16

Indira Gandhi was not related to Mohandas Gandhi in any way. She was Jawaharlal Nehru's (first Indian PM) daughter. Also, Sikhs were persecuted before her assassination, it just got way worse afterwards.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 06 Feb 2015, 15:29

Related to what Graham was saying about silly tickets and the inability to process it.

When we were in Alaska we traded in our car to buy the mini van that James would then copy a couple months later (its actually the same make model year and color.)

We had the van for about two weeks when we got my orders to leave Alaska (in march)

About a month after buying the vehicle(late February) we got a red light camera ticket and a parking violation for the vehicle we traded in. There was a number on the mailer that said "if you think you received this in error call this number" So we called the number and the guy on the phone was like, "oh, so you arent disputing it?" and we explained that we had no way of knowing what had happened with the vehicle on that day as we had sold it and had record of transfer of ownership. So they asked us to fax that information in.

I got a call back from the supervisor who said "we recognize this documentation but we have no way without a court case to rescind the fine. We can set up a case in (click click click) April. I explained that I was getting out of the Army and would be in Illinois at the time. He said he would check with his supervisor and call us back.

Meanwhile we called up the dealer, who had sold the car to a used car lot the day after we sold it to them (two days before the tickets) but didnt file the paperwork until the next week so it was legally the used dealers car, but the new car dealers plates. But they would deal with the ticket if we sent it to them, so thats what we did.

come April I get a phone call from my Unit(I was still technically in the Army on terminal leave) turns out I had failed to appear in court and they had issued a fine of $150 for wasting the courts time or some B.S. I then get a letter in the mail from the state of Alaska informing me of the new fine with a contact number.

I call up its the same office, they look it up, the dealership had set up the court case but then were able to get things worked out with the used dealer who paid the fine, but they didnt cancel the court case.

The supervisor said he would cancel the fine for failure to appear.

Come July I get a phone call from what is now my former unit as I am out of the army informing me that there has been a second fine for failure to pay the first court fee, AND a bench warrant issued for failure to pay the second fine.

Several phone calls and faxes later I talked to a understanding judge who wiped everything out.

In summation:
1 Sold car
2 Car dealer resold car
3 third party got tickets which resulted in a fine
4 Car dealers set up a court case to fix the fine
5 third party paid fine
6 Issued fine for failure to appear in court for the fine that was paid
7 Issued fine for failure to pay fine issued for failure to appear in court over a fine which was already paid.
8 Issued bench warrant for failure to pay either of the court fines for a case I failed to appear at that I didnt set up for a fine on a car I didn't own.
9 Everything is now fine.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 09 Feb 2015, 21:00

Lord Hosk wrote:In summation:
Everything is now fine.

EVERYTHING IS FINE.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.

Return to “LRRcast”