LRRcast - The Kathleen Trivia Challenge Part 3

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast - The Kathleen Trivia Challenge Part 3

Postby Graham » 17 Apr 2015, 13:27

Kathleen returns this week with another entry in the Trivia Challange! Join Cam, Julie and Paul as they flex their trivia muscles.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Re: LRRcast - The Kathleen Trivia Challenge Part 3

Postby Omnicrat » 17 Apr 2015, 19:49

"Are you smarter than a 5th grader was an american cable television show that was popular in the 90s"

So much wrong with the above. SO MUCH.

In order of inverse wrongness.

1) It was on Fox network TV, not cable.
2) It premiered in the mid to late 2000s.
3) it was NOT popular.

I literally had to pause the video and write this. I am sorry.
Zaz
First Video: Unskippable, Star Ocean

Postby Zaz » 18 Apr 2015, 01:54

Sounds like someone lost it in the background when you got to the Flatulence and St. Augustine part. :D
Was it Alex? The laughter at 'Fartiste' sounds a bit like Alex.
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 18 Apr 2015, 05:47

What, you can't recognize the members of the crew only by hearing their laughter? N00B!

Joking aside, thats 100% Alex.
Zaz

Postby Zaz » 18 Apr 2015, 12:40

Also, Cam clearly doesn't enjoy having the mic in front of his face. Can't we get him a lapel mic?
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 18 Apr 2015, 13:43

Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 18 Apr 2015, 16:41

I knew the brasica one solely from my hours of devotedly reading Asterix as a kid. (Asterix in Belgium, perhaps?)
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 18 Apr 2015, 19:35

Issue: Brassica isn't the family, it is the genus.
VectorZero
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby VectorZero » 18 Apr 2015, 22:03

Brassicaceae, then. Biology was never my strong suit.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 18 Apr 2015, 23:03

My only note is that the way some questions are phrased, in this episode I can only recall the Ebola question fitting this, there could be multiple answers that are technically correct. Hypothetically, if the answer was 100,000 instead, all three answers are correct as 100,000 is more than 10,000, 25,000 and 50,000. Slightly rephrasing the choices would fix that.

Though this is me being pedantic about an extremely minor thing. :P Still a great episode.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 19 Apr 2015, 07:54

Antitonic wrote:My only note is that the way some questions are phrased, in this episode I can only recall the Ebola question fitting this, there could be multiple answers that are technically correct. Hypothetically, if the answer was 100,000 instead, all three answers are correct as 100,000 is more than 10,000, 25,000 and 50,000. Slightly rephrasing the choices would fix that.

Though this is me being pedantic about an extremely minor thing. :P Still a great episode.

The question was phrased "How many people have died from Ebola according to an April 9th update from the CDC?", so no, there was no ambiguity in the correct answer :P
Zaz

Postby Zaz » 19 Apr 2015, 11:25

unpronounceable wrote:The question was phrased "How many people have died from Ebola according to an April 9th update from the CDC?", so no, there was no ambiguity in the correct answer :P

If the cdc report did give the total number phrased that way, yes. If it gave the exact number (10584?), no.

But I do believe the official ruling on nitpicking the phrasing of questions in trivia games is "shut up, I hate playing with you" - at least in my experience. ^^
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Apr 2015, 00:24

I feel that Kathleen and I get our current events from different places.

I strongly disagree with Kathleen's definition of Alaska also being the eastern most state in the United States. Maine is the eastern most state.

If you include the United State's territories, the westernmost point in the United States is Guam and the easternmost point is in the US Virgin Islands.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Zaz

Postby Zaz » 20 Apr 2015, 00:56

Depends on your criteria, right? If you ask 'which state is placed most to the right on this map of America', your answer will probably be different than if you ask 'which state intersects a longitude with the highest value?'
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 20 Apr 2015, 04:33

Lord Chrusher wrote:I feel that Kathleen and I get our current events from different places.

I strongly disagree with Kathleen's definition of Alaska also being the eastern most state in the United States. Maine is the eastern most state.

If you include the United State's territories, the westernmost point in the United States is Guam and the easternmost point is in the US Virgin Islands.

Well, she said "State", not territory, so she's still good there. Also, Alaska is only the easternmost state by technicality, and I do not think that she meant that as a "this should go in geography text books!" sort of way.
reptile

Postby reptile » 20 Apr 2015, 06:47

US schoolkids definitely learn the Great Lakes, even if they live nowhere near them. (HOMES is the mnemonic to remember them.)

Yes, going by longitude, Alaska contains both the westernmost and easternmost points in the US. (The International Date Line generally runs along the 180-degree mark, but swerves to avoid the Aleutian Islands, so they're in the same time zone as the rest of Alaska even though they cross over into "east" longitude.) But, as was pointed out, this is using a geographical/longitudinal definition, under which many "Western European" countries are in the "East". There are many other categorizations as well; context is everything. :)
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Postby romangoro » 20 Apr 2015, 07:45

VectorZero wrote:I knew the brasica one solely from my hours of devotedly reading Asterix as a kid. (Asterix in Belgium, perhaps?)

YES! "Tu sais oû tu peut te la metre, la brassica?" (quoting from memory, sorry french speakers), It's one of the few I have in french, so i'd say Belgium yes.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 20 Apr 2015, 10:26

Fo' shame, Cam. Handel is awesome and I will fight you if you say otherwise ;)

Also, some random info-bites about the African nations thus mentioned. Not sure where these came from, just some things wot I've picked up over time:

Nigeria is, in more ways than one, the India of Africa. On the one hand it has a booming population and economy, and is working on its infrastructure without resorting to trading roads for Chinese mineral rights as so many other African nations are. On the other hand, it is plagued by much of the same corruption that effects many developing nations, is far from without extreme poverty, and despite its relatively advanced healthcare system has a massive polio epidemic that a variety of cultural issues refuse to allow to get fixed. It is pretty much the last country in the world where polio is so prevalent.

Lesotho (pronounsed locally as Le-su-tu) may be broadly speaking described as 'the bit of South Africa the British held onto after the Boer Wars'. This is largely due to its geography- it is mountainous, is not rich in mineral resources and the local Sotho kingdom disliked the Boers even more than the British. For their part, many South Africans don't like Lesotho much either- many Sotho's ply their trade selling drugs to South Africans, where it's too easy for them to flee back over the border for them to be arrested or the trade policed. They also have an AIDS problem even more severe than South Africa's.

South Sudan separated from the rest of Sudan in 2011 for reasons that, whilst varied, may be (over-simplistically) considered religious in origin. The people of South Sudan come from a variety of Bantu tribes and are largely Christian (or follow older tribal faiths). Sudan's government is, by contrast, Islamic- Sudan may be thought of as the point where southern Africa (as Christianised by missionaries) and Islamic north Africa meet. As might be expected, the outcome was not peaceful. For most of its existence as a sovereign state, Sudan has been in a state of civil war due to a mixture of both religious disagreement, governmental mismanagement and the government as a whole being *******s to the southerners, in part motivated by the religious tension. Of course, the fact that South Sudan now has a conflict entirely of its own to worry about points to the fact that these things are never quite that simple.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Baymin
First Video: It's Magic

Postby Baymin » 20 Apr 2015, 19:35

Anyone else really want a "Flatulence is next to Godulence" T-shirt now?
fainded
First Video: Junk in the Trunk

Postby fainded » 21 Apr 2015, 17:27

In the vein of farting as a performance art there is the Crepitation Contest comedy record (and trivia-wise there is a CBC connection). I first heard it many years ago when a local radio station did a late night comedy record hour on Sundays.

Info:
http://randsesotericotr.podbean.com/200 ... t-of-1946/

Youtube Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyD95Hv7CU
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 23 Apr 2015, 19:44

Lord Chrusher wrote:I strongly disagree with Kathleen's definition of Alaska also being the eastern most state in the United States. Maine is the eastern most state.

I don't think it's her own definition. I remember hearing that one on Vs. in the late nineties. But this might be one of those ".999... = 1" sort of questions that sounds totally wrong.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Apr 2015, 03:00

No, she was not first to use that definition. For example, on the Wikipedia page for the extreme points of the United States there is a section about different definitions for easternmost and westernmost point.

I think part of why I dislike the definition of the easternmost point having the highest longitude east of the Prime Meridian is that it is dependent on your choice of the Prime Meridian. If the line of zero longitude passed through the Paris Observatory rather than the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, you would have a different easternmost point.

However, I think the real reason I dislike the highest east longitude definition is the idea that I could travel a short distance east of the easternmost point and still be in the state in question.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “LRRcast”