LRRcast - Kathleen Trivia (May 2015)

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

LRRcast - Kathleen Trivia (May 2015)

Postby Paul » 30 May 2015, 11:37

This time, things get serious for Kathleen's Trivia Challenge. It's James and Cam vs Paul and Graham head to head and brain to brain!
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Re: LRRcast - Kathleen Trivia (May 2015)

Postby JQuill » 30 May 2015, 16:01

In regards to Lyndon Johnson, he was eligible to run for a 2nd full term because he was only President for 14 months after JFK was killed. Had he been President for 24 months or more, he would not have been able to run in 1968 (which he ultimately withdrew from anyway).

And it was Grover Cleveland who was both the 22nd and 24th President of United States.
SchrodingerStein
First Video: Friday Nights - Guild Fight

Postby SchrodingerStein » 30 May 2015, 18:19

Guys, you do know that Mexico and Central America are a part of North America, not South America. :| *slow clap*

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/na.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 30 May 2015, 21:18

So, for the IRL games, I vote for Twilight Imperium 3rd edition. Go big or go home ;-)
TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 30 May 2015, 21:23

The active volcanoes on Hawai'i don't take up that much of the island. Kīlauea the most active is in the southeast of the island and has been erupting almost none stop since but 1983 mainly flows into the ocean. Mauna Loa is the big one and while active hasn't erupted since 1984.

Most of the big island is farmland. There use to be a lot of sugar cane plantations but the last on shut down in the late 1990s. The Kona Coast is on the leeward side and is were all that great coffee comes from. There is also Macadamia nuts, chocolate, papaya, and Orchids. It's also the home to one of he biggest cattle ranches in the US.

The Big Island is about 4000 sq miles but has a population of about 185,000 people with the bigest city having a popluation of only 44,000.

Edit: Sorry forgot to explain "leeward". Leeward means away from the wind. So there is the windward side and the leeward side of the islands. The trade winds around the Hawai'i Islands blow from the NorthEast (windward) to the SouthWest (leeward) sides of the islands. So when the tropical winds hit the mountains they cool off and rain on the windward side with little left for the leeward side. So you end up with cities like Hilo on the windward side have 250+ days and 100+ inches of rain a year while the Kona Coast may only get 20 inches a year.

Sorry for the info dump.

TL:DR Big Island of Hawai'i manly farmland. Windward side wet, leeward side dry.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 31 May 2015, 08:52

Of course the world loves blue the most. Who wouldn't with such staples as Force of Will, Commandeer, Force Spike, Remand, Pact of Negation, Counterspell, Countermand, Spell Rupture etc. Blue is my favorite color and is tied with black.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 31 May 2015, 14:29

JQuill wrote:And it was Grover Cleveland who was both the 22nd and 24th President of United States.

As for Canadian Prime Ministers, the Wikipedia article, at least, numbers the PMs based on the order they first took office (we've had several PMs serve non-consecutive terms, some even trading with each other). So our current Prime Minister is the 22nd, heading the 28th "Ministry" since Confederation.

For Queen Victoria's quote on the Boer War, that was actually during the Second Boer War, which was a British victory. It was the First Boer War, fought twenty years previously, that the British lost.
The Second Boer War was also where the RCMP gained the "Royal" part of their title, though at the time they were still called the North West Mounted Police, and thus became the RNWMP. Many members of the NWMP volunteered to join the Canadian volunteer forces in the conflict, where they formed a mounted rifle battalion. In recognition for their service, King Edward VII granted the NWMP the Royal title in 1904.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 31 May 2015, 15:51

Blue is the colour of Loading Ready Run. Seems only nature the world loves blue the most.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
FredCheckers
First Video: Feed Dump: Firefighters, Drunk Pigs and

Postby FredCheckers » 31 May 2015, 16:45

I must say that i'm a fan of the wine-dark LRR website.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 01 Jun 2015, 01:19

If you include the various island territories of Australia and New Zealand, Australia and New Zealand are closer than 1500 km. For instance, Norfolk Island, a territory of Australia, is only 800 km north west of the northern most point. Even closer are Auckland Island (New Zealand) and Macquarie Island (Australia) which are only 600 km apart although Auckland Island is uninhabited and Macquarie Island only hosts a small scientific outpost.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Moussefilledkitten
First Video: Checkpoint

Postby Moussefilledkitten » 01 Jun 2015, 07:04

I remember reading something years ago that the reason the majority of people prefer blue has something to do with preferring shorter wavelengths of light. I have no idea how truthful/accurate that is.
JJSaybel
First Video: I'm not sure

Postby JJSaybel » 01 Jun 2015, 19:09

In regard to the question about fraud, a few years ago, I applied for a nanny job over craigslist. The guy was "moving to the city and needed my help to speed along the moving process". I ended up being ripped off $800. I learned my lesson.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 02 Jun 2015, 07:05

Well Graham, I don't have a passport. I have never left the US.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 02 Jun 2015, 07:52

Listening to the podcast again and get to the Hawaii section, I looked a map to see if Hawaii island was more volcano than habitable land. There is actually a town east of the Mauna Loa volcano called Volcano. Seems ballsy.
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
archonic_energy
First Video: I can't remember... sorry.

Postby archonic_energy » 03 Jun 2015, 01:34

the black spider memos are named so because Charles' handwriting is apparently awful.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 03 Jun 2015, 22:18

Job Fraud "There is a $25 fee for a background check" "there is a $50 fee for background check and drug testing" No job even existed and no checks are run. Also fill out this form with name, social security number, and home address, thank you for letting us steal your identity.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
CaptainSpam
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby CaptainSpam » 05 Jun 2015, 10:41

For the fraud question, the possibility of "job applications" as an answer brought to mind some recruiters who contacted me out of the blue via LinkedIn or whatnot, asking me for a résumé. Said résumé, of course, has contact info on it. Problem is, I got no response from said recruiters afterward.

Now, nothing bad has happened yet, and the company in question is legit (though in my experience very very disorganized when it comes to recruitment), but that DID make me think twice when considering the trivia question, as I could theorize an industry for defrauding people looking for jobs based on their contact info.

Return to “LRRcast”