LRRcast - The Return of AskLRR Part 2

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast - The Return of AskLRR Part 2

Postby Graham » 08 Aug 2015, 17:10

AskLRR makes it return this week with Beej, Heather, Paul and Ian taking on your questions from Twitter.

Support this show (and other things!): http://Patreon.com/loadingreadyrun
romangoro
First Video: The Couch

Re: LRRcast - The Return of AskLRR Part 2

Postby romangoro » 08 Aug 2015, 18:11

Best video cover ever.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 08 Aug 2015, 20:03

wait...wait...wait.

LRR lives in an area that doesn't get snow and 30C is a high temperature? I am living in all the wrong places. Below 0C in the winter and above 45C in the summer makes Victoria sound like a dream, I always assumed it got much colder there then here.
mtvcdm
First Video: Pokeproblem

Postby mtvcdm » 08 Aug 2015, 20:58

It's really not that hard to get accepted by the LRR fanbase. The whole thing about a comedy troupe is that the same members won't always be there; sometimes people come and go. We see it in other high-profile troupes, SNL for instance.

LRR has a bit of an advantage over other troupes: in SNL, Groundlings, Second City, UCB, it's pretty well established that it's a largely mercenary group of some of the top comic talent available, so there's not really a lot of leash given to new people: be funny, immediately, or go away. The way LRR is set up, it's 'a group of friends that happen to be funny'. There's not really a lot of actual recruiting. So when someone new comes along, the default reaction is 'Hey, someone in LRR must know this person somehow. Hi new person! Welcome aboard! What brings you round these parts?'

Or they show up in the chat first, people get to know them that way, and then one day they wind up on camera already pre-known to the audience, who's more or less pumped to see them in the flesh.
TheGeek
First Video: FridayNights

Postby TheGeek » 09 Aug 2015, 01:00

At 1:08:00 shouldn't be 18% gray (aka middle gray) for proper white balance??
Dedwrekka
First Video: That one with Graham in it.

Postby Dedwrekka » 09 Aug 2015, 08:55

LoadingReadyRumble is totally the Secret Wars of LRR
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 09 Aug 2015, 20:17

In the original Star Wars trilogy, I would change the fate of Darth Vader. I would change it so that he turns into a Sebastian Shaw force ghost.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Aug 2015, 02:56

As far as PEI goes: lots of snow all winter, lots of potatoes, you have Anne of Green Gables...and not much else. If you like beaches or golf, they have that covered (at least in the summer), but it's a very small place - the whole province is only 150,000 people.

If you ever cross the bridge to Moncton/New Brunswick (note: this is inevitable), feel free to shoot me a message if I'm still in the area.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 10 Aug 2015, 05:23

Combining two things mentioned in the podcast, soccer/football and rants about irksome things:

America gets blamed for the usage of 'soccer' a lot, but it started in the UK. First thing's first, until the current iteration of football became widespread, the variations of football sports played were quite numerous. Even within sports that looked the same from the outside, rules might differ greatly. What we now know colloquially as football/soccer came from what was known in the UK as 'association football.'

Sometime (I believe the late 1800s), the UK had to distinguish the two forms of football that they cared about, association football and rugby football (rugby). It became common usage to call them soccer (from the 'soc' in association) and rugger respectively. America adopted the term to ease distinguishing association football and american football, the latter of which was colloquially taken the usage of 'football.' Some years ago, the UK decided to drop the usage of 'soccer'; the excuse being that it was 'too American' (my guess is it was a class issue rather than a misunderstanding).

I'm sure there are still variants of 'football' sports out there beyond american, association, and rugby. As such, one could argue that while it might not be more correct, 'soccer' is at least as proper as 'football' when referring specifically to association football.

TLDR: It's not our fault damnit, blame the UK!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Aug 2015, 05:39

See also: this chart on how different forms of Football developed.

Various variations on the concept have being played for hundreds of years, but only developed into strict rulesets in the late 19th century. On either side of the Atlantic, it evolved in different ways (and even within England, it evolved into two rather distinct sports). Using "Football" to mean "Soccer" comes mainly from Association Football being the most widespread and popular variation on the game for most of the world - similar to how saying "PC" means "Windows computer" today, even though technically it only refers to a computer intended to be used by a single individual and has nothing to do with the OS involved. By the time Association rules were introduced to North America, our own variations were becoming entrenched and so retained the "Football" title on this side of the pond.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
7SecondsLeft
First Video: Checkpoint on PATV

Postby 7SecondsLeft » 10 Aug 2015, 06:33

Based on my trip to Vancouver a few years ago, there is one important difference that will trip people up moving to Canada from the UK - In the UK, sales tax is embedded into the price, so the number you see on the shelf is the amount you actually have to pay when you get to the till.

In Canada however, you take the item to the till, they secretly roll a few D20s under the counter and add the total to the final amount, so you always end up paying an arbitrarily significant amount more than you feel you should do. I understand the US also has the same bizarre and unhelpful system, so migrants from that side of the fence won't have the same issue.

;)
SAJewers
First Video: Tuscon or Bust

Postby SAJewers » 10 Aug 2015, 11:05

I found it kinda funny how Beej's explanation of Victoria could quite well fit Halifax as well (albeit more Scottish).

Also, regarding Canadian English, this might be a good read, for those planning to move to Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Aug 2015, 13:21

Regarding Beej's comment about wanting a transparent sky: Even if the sky was completely transparent, you would have trouble seeing stars during the day. This because the Sun is ridiculously bright compared to stars. Anything in your field of view would be well lit making the sky appear a uniform black by comparison. While cameras have lower dynamic ranges compared to our eyes, photos taken in space or on the Moon with something in the foreground show a starless black sky.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Taichanie
First Video: A feed dumb.

Postby Taichanie » 10 Aug 2015, 18:45

So I was crossing into manatoba from North Dakota as Ian was saying "Ignore them we do." Stupid job won't let me follow Ian's suggestion.
TheMoatman
First Video: How to LRR

Postby TheMoatman » 11 Aug 2015, 00:13

Okay, so good news and bad news. Good news is you can buy real Dole Whip online.
Bad news is it's powdered soft serve mix, and I think you need a machine to actually serve it.
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 11 Aug 2015, 06:50

See Feed Dump, Florida isn't all bad :P We have Dole Whip, which is a pineapple or orange soft serve that you can have covered in Dole Pineapple juice. Really great on a hot day at Magic Kingdom, if you're willing to wait 30-60 minutes in line (it is Disney after all).
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 11 Aug 2015, 11:32

Which opening were they talking about with the Beej as everyone idea?
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 11 Aug 2015, 12:04

Jonci wrote:Which opening were they talking about with the Beej as everyone idea?

The Story of Beej. It's a cH episode from a year or so back.
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 11 Aug 2015, 14:44

mtvcdm
First Video: Pokeproblem

Postby mtvcdm » 11 Aug 2015, 20:57

7SecondsLeft wrote:Based on my trip to Vancouver a few years ago, there is one important difference that will trip people up moving to Canada from the UK - In the UK, sales tax is embedded into the price, so the number you see on the shelf is the amount you actually have to pay when you get to the till.

In Canada however, you take the item to the till, they secretly roll a few D20s under the counter and add the total to the final amount, so you always end up paying an arbitrarily significant amount more than you feel you should do. I understand the US also has the same bizarre and unhelpful system, so migrants from that side of the fence won't have the same issue.

;)

The thing that got me more than anything else when I was in this spring... well, it being my very first time driving in a foreign country ever (and second time period, the first time being half a day in the backseat on a family roadtrip using Ontario as a shortcut between Michigan and New York over a decade ago), there were quite a few things tripping me up. And a tire going a mile inside the border just got me flustered, which didn't help matters.

But that all established, the thing I'd say that got me more than anything else was the gas stations. I tried to get in and out of Canada on one tank of gas, didn't quite make it so I had to refill before crossing back into the US.

In the US, the big number you're going to see denoting the gas price is going to be a single-digit number with two decimal points. Say, 2.74, a typical price right now. That's the price in US dollars per gallon, and my frame of reference. I kind of figured that the price of Canadian gas was going to be Canadian dollars per... well, 'liter' was one of the things that slipped my mind, but even so, I was expecting another single-digit number with two decimal points.

So I roll up to a gas station in I think Richmond that reads "159". I don't see a decimal point. I'm fairly certain they don't mean 159 dollars, but I have no idea what it DOES mean, so I just take a stone guess. I have a little under half a tank to fill, and just hand the cashier $50, which in the US is far in excess of what it would take, and wait to see how much change I get back. I get no change back because I don't quite make it to a full tank.

After returning home, I find that it meant Canadian cents per liter. Which means, at today's exchange rate, that '159' would read, in American, as about six bucks a gallon.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Aug 2015, 04:05

Until pretty recently gas in Canada was under $1/liter, so the standard was to display the price in cents, or tenths of a cent. So in 2005, that sign would have read 971 or 97.1 (depending on the setup of the sign), to indicate that the price was $0.971/liter.

Many places haven't updated their signs to be able to properly indicate the price in dollars, so they just keep showing the price in cents and drop the tenths of a cent.
Clypheous
First Video: Checkpoint Episode One

Postby Clypheous » 28 Aug 2015, 12:18

Master Gunner wrote:Until pretty recently gas in Canada was under $1/liter, so the standard was to display the price in cents, or tenths of a cent. So in 2005, that sign would have read 971 or 97.1 (depending on the setup of the sign), to indicate that the price was $0.971/liter.

Many places haven't updated their signs to be able to properly indicate the price in dollars, so they just keep showing the price in cents and drop the tenths of a cent.

Man I loved traveling around Europe before the Euro and trying to figure out how much I was paying for gas. OK, this is 15 SquashFrancMarks per Bi-liter on Tuesdays, is that better or worse than 1*14^2.5 PoundsCurling per Octogon every other Thursday? I never knew how much I was paying for anything or how to compare it to other prices I saw.

I'm going to have to go visit this magical "Canada" place sometime though, it sounds very interesting.

Return to “LRRcast”