LRRcast - Christmas Traditions Part: 1

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast - Christmas Traditions Part: 1

Postby Graham » 21 Dec 2015, 14:37

Graham, Paul and Cameron discuss their Christmas traditions both new and old on this weeks LRRcast.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Re: LRRcast - Christmas Traditions Part: 1

Postby unpronounceable » 21 Dec 2015, 17:45

The thing with tire d'érable (the maple toffee), is that the maple syrup is poured onto snow, and after a while it sets, you roll it up on a popsicle stick, and eat it. So you get a cold, sweet maple toffee, and if you did it right, there will be snow between layers of the toffee, and it's really refreshing.

For Christmas traditions, Santa would fill the stockings with small presents, including the obligatory chocolate coins, magazine tube, and clementine in the toe. He would also bring the big present for the year. My N64 was from Santa (I'm not that kid). After my parents got up, we would always open presents before breakfast. There was one year we had breakfast before opening our presents. That tradition-in-the-making was shutdown pretty quickly because my Mom got too antsy from waiting.

Now that I'm older, my sisters and I will sleep in on Christmas morning, and give Santa time to come visit in the morning. Yep, after 24 someodd years in this world, Santa still comes to give me presents.
Brushwag
First Video: It's Magic

Postby Brushwag » 21 Dec 2015, 18:30

Fun fact: Twelfth Night/Epiphany is not the same thing as the Feast of Stephen. Epiphany either celebrates the visitation of the Wise Men (Magi) to Jesus or the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, depending on which church you look at. The Feast of St. Stephen (Boxing Day in some churches, the day after in most of the rest) commemorates the death of St. Stephen, a deacon identified as the first Christian martyr.
DaMage
First Video: Wireless

Postby DaMage » 21 Dec 2015, 19:38

As someone from the southern hemisphere, I can say that there is no 'special' event once the days get short in June. But I can't really comment on how that feels to live in as I live too far north for the sunset/sunrise time to ever change much (sunset in winter gets about 5:00p, and in summer about 7:30pm).

If you can, it really is worth having a Christmas on the other side of the equator once in your life. The change to a summer Christmas puts some very different twists on traditions from the northern hemisphere. Not to mention in Australia the day after Christmas is Boxing Day when the Boxing Day Test Cricket match happens.

Also, surfing santas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuFr76btbnE

Edit:
On the topic of a truck parade, we don't have one at Christmas here, but we do have one for the annual 'lights on the hill', which is a memorial for truck drivers that died on the road. So I guess the concept isn't that uncommon.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 22 Dec 2015, 10:02

As a kid I lived in Israel, where Christmas is not commonly celebrated, but my step father is Christian so I was always the only kid in school who didn't have to go to school on Christmas. It was always great. These days, since I live alone in Europe, my tradition became building snow minotaurs. This year it hasn't really been snowing (and it is +6c, which is very warm for the season), so no minotaurs yet.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Dec 2015, 16:39

When I was going to grad school in Melbourne, the students would do a Christmas in July party each year.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “LRRcast”