LRRcast - Anime Recap: Autumn 2015

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

LRRcast - Anime Recap: Autumn 2015

Postby James » 13 Feb 2016, 15:50

Join Heather, Cori, Ian and Beej as they discuss all things Anime from the Fall of 2015 and what they're looking forward to from the upcoming Winter 2016 season.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Re: LRRcast - Anime Recap: Autumn 2015

Postby theycallmejokke » 13 Feb 2016, 20:44

Mtg have a anime series sweet! :D
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 13 Feb 2016, 23:38

Well, I don't know about anime, but there's at least two manga. Three if you count Wizard's Soul which has elements of YuGiOh mixed in.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 14 Feb 2016, 03:17

I have friends who are big into Manga and every year they make guesses about which new anime manga adaptations will be popular. Like last year they correctly guessed One punch man. A few years ago Attack on Titan and so on.

So apparently the good money on what will be popular the next upcoming year in Anime is a shounen action series called "My Hero Academia". So if you want to get your hipster manga cred now you can read it and than scoff at people saying "I liked that BEFORE it was cool".
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 14 Feb 2016, 06:43

Erased is great. I don't always watch it the day episodes come out, because it is kinda dark and some days I don't feel like anything dark, but it's great. I wanted Hinazuki to live, damnit. I still want Hinazuki to live. With time travel, anything is possible!

Other shows that I'm watching, which are not as good ...

Utawarerumono: The False Faces is something I've been watching for a while now. It's apparently based on a JRPG and in places it really shows. I liked the first half of the show because it was essentially the protagonist accumulating cute girls and getting into amusing situations, it was basically a fantasy slice of life in which nothing happened very cutely. But at the same time I was waiting for something to happen, and in the second half they actually started moving the plot forward ... only because they spent so long doing nothing, it feels like they're rushed for time and as a result they've kinda failed on the delivery. I rather preferred it when it was just Fantasy Hijinks,

Myriad Colors Phantom World is ... conflicted. On the one hand, it's about high school students fighting monsters, nothing we haven't seen a thousand times. On the other hand, it has all these interesting tidbits about perception and memory and the inadequacy of human conceptions of reality that suggest it could have been a good show if only, if only they had tried harder. On the gripping hand, the first episode has a girl having to jiggle her enormous breasts in order to win a limbo contest with the animate spirits of telephone poles, so they didn't really try very hard. I watch it mainly for the vain hope that it might yet become the ideal show that exists in my mind, despite knowing that it won't.

Aokana, Something Something Pretentious Title Blue is interesting in that it's a sports anime for a made up sci-fi sport. The problem is that their made up sci-fi sport is terribly designed and kinda boring. It's another show that could have been good, damnit! Except other than that the show is absolutely generic, the characters are flat and it's nothing to write home about. I'm not sure why I still watch this. Possibly because I've run out of other sugary moe garbage to binge on.

Really this season (at least on Crunchyroll) has been bizarrely lacking in sugary moe garbage. Which is a pity(?) because I like sugary moe garbage, damnit. It's cute and sweet and silly and utterly unlikely to ambush me with feels. Though I did get The Feels over Yuki Yuna Is A Hero - that show ended up suuuuuuuper dark - and School-Live wrecked me. So sugary moe garbage can turn on you!
It's fish in a tin!
TheMoatman
First Video: How to LRR

Postby TheMoatman » 14 Feb 2016, 11:02

Yeah... I watched 0080 when I was in elementary school.
Not the best idea I've ever had.
Dusk_Shine
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Dusk_Shine » 14 Feb 2016, 12:08

I'm actually highly curious as to whether or not Cori reads "Haikyuu!!". I personally think it's a wonderful sports series and it's one of the more realistic ones since "Ace of Diamond".
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 14 Feb 2016, 16:13

Did they mention Haikyuu!!? I skimmed through the podcast, so if they did I missed it. I super fangirled over the first season though, as you can tell from my review. The second season has been pretty solid too, but not quite as good as the first season. I still look forward to watching it every week. I'm really hoping they shift the focus back to Kageyama a bit. He's been in the background the last few episodes so I'm hoping they will come back to him for the tournament finale.

I watched the first few episodes of Sakurako-san and I might go back to it, but it didn't quite grab me. The magical-girl scene they mentioned in the podcast was so unintentionally hilarious. What really bugged me was how incompetent the police officers were, like they couldn't do anything themselves without Sakurako-san directing them.

I really need to pick up some shows from this season, but there's never enough time.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 14 Feb 2016, 19:27

Part of the problem with Sakurako-san was that she has no foil. Shoutaro, if you'll allow the Bones comparision, is no Booth. Aside from his interest in Sakurako, a normal highschool boy, whereas Booth is a very capable FBI agent, who is also great with people. Booth reminds Sakurako of the human element to everything, balancing out Bones' over reliance on the physical sciences, but Sakurako also gets to point out the psychology behind people's actions, leaving everyone else looking like incompetent idiots.

Since Ian mentioned watching War in the Pocket, I watched that last year, and it's really good. I also didn't like it. It has a really great story, especially with how Bernie and Al's relationship develops, but I just couldn't get in the right mindset to appreciate it. Idolizing soldiers and war is, apparently, such a foreign feeling to me, that I couldn't relate to Al at all.

EDIT: Since Beej and Ian are likely to see this, I'm looking forward to seeing LRR at MAGFest. I'll be wearing my Karuta shirt on Friday.
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 15 Feb 2016, 06:51

I don't really watch anime, so I've been wondering why I enjoy this podcast so much. Good job.

I'm not sure if this thread is the right one for this but wondering if I could get some recommendations since this show has gotten me curious to start watching some anime (yes, I know the show is mostly about recommendations)
I really want to watch something mundane, I would love an anime about gardening, maybe someone trying to get their cherry tree to be the best cherry tree. Trying to think back I can't remember the podcast bringing up something like that. Maybe prince of tennis which has gotten on my radar. Was it the original series that Ian recommended that was mostly just about tennis?
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Feb 2016, 10:50

Mums wrote:I really want to watch something mundane, I would love an anime about gardening, maybe someone trying to get their cherry tree to be the best cherry tree. Trying to think back I can't remember the podcast bringing up something like that. Maybe prince of tennis which has gotten on my radar. Was it the original series that Ian recommended that was mostly just about tennis?

I know you're probably looking for recommendation from the podcasters, but I had a couple thoughts.

My first thought when you said something mundane about gardening was Silver Spoon. It's a show about an agricultural school in rural Japan. I haven't watched it myself, so I can't personally recommend it, but I know a lot of people who really enjoyed it. It's supposed to be very down to earth and there's two seasons.

The other tennis anime that might have been mentioned is Baby Steps. I haven't seen that either, but again have heard good things about it.

There's a movie that's pretty much just short stories of a family's everyday life. It's a comedy by Studio Ghibli called My Neighbors the Yamadas. The art style is a little different than most, but it's pretty "mundane" I would say.

Also, if you are looking for something more about self-discovery and understanding, everyday life with a bit of drama and philosophy thrown in, then have a look at Haibane Renmei. It's one of my all-time favourites.
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 15 Feb 2016, 15:49

Tapir12 wrote:My first thought when you said something mundane about gardening was Silver Spoon. It's a show about an agricultural school in rural Japan. I haven't watched it myself, so I can't personally recommend it, but I know a lot of people who really enjoyed it. It's supposed to be very down to earth and there's two seasons.

I wouldn't describe it as mundane, but it is a very good, grounded coming-of-age story. Summed up in a sentence: A guy trying to find his purpose in life by attending an agricultural high school and learning about farms.

Another anime that might be good if you just want a low-key, feel good, slice-of-life story is Usagi Drop. When Daikichi's grandfather passes away, everyone in his family learns about Rin, his grandfather's six year old illegitimate daughter. While the rest of the family shuns her, Daikichi decides to take care of Rin himself. The story then follows Daikichi and Rin, exploring the joys and troubles of parenthood. Just don't read the manga.

If by mundane you just want something low energy, then try Mushishi. Mushi are primordial creatures that are almost the essence of life. Normal people cannot see them, but the mushi affect their lives daily, sometimes in very harmful ways. The story follows Ginko, as wanders around Japan, aiding people when the mushi threaten harm. It is a very episodic series, with each episode focusing on a different mushi. The stories don't focus on the mushi, but rather the people affected by them, and each story has a very human theme at its core. It's a slow, but compelling series.
LunarJade
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby LunarJade » 15 Feb 2016, 16:44

Mums wrote:I don't really watch anime, so I've been wondering why I enjoy this podcast so much. Good job.

I'm not sure if this thread is the right one for this but wondering if I could get some recommendations since this show has gotten me curious to start watching some anime (yes, I know the show is mostly about recommendations)
I really want to watch something mundane, I would love an anime about gardening, maybe someone trying to get their cherry tree to be the best cherry tree. Trying to think back I can't remember the podcast bringing up something like that. Maybe prince of tennis which has gotten on my radar. Was it the original series that Ian recommended that was mostly just about tennis?

Looks to me like you're getting some good recommendations. In terms of gardening there's nothing specifically that jumps to mind but Silver Spoon is probably the closest as has been mentioned already.

What do you mean by mundane? To me that sounds like you're maybe looking for the Slice of Life category. Or is that more of a way of saying you want to stay away from the fantasy or magical girl genres? Some slice of life does the magical powers thing.
If you don't have a dislike for Jazz I'd actually recommends Kids on the Slope. http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slope
Mums

Postby Mums » 15 Feb 2016, 18:28

Thank you all for the tips. :)

Tapir12 wrote:I know you're probably looking for recommendation from the podcasters, but I had a couple thoughts.

I really didn't, just generally, I'm super happy about all the tips, and I trust all of your tastes :)

LunarJade wrote:What do you mean by mundane? To me that sounds like you're maybe looking for the Slice of Life category. Or is that more of a way of saying you want to stay away from the fantasy or magical girl genres? Some slice of life does the magical powers thing.
If you don't have a dislike for Jazz I'd actually recommends Kids on the Slope. http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slope

Not really sure about what I ment by mundane, I don't thinnk I'm against some magic/fantasy. I think I'm mostly looking for a series where the main objective not to be so grand, people enjoying the small things, like caring about a garden or something and being satisfied with that. The things that have grabbed my attention the most in the podcast is the stories where they go in to detail about something "trivial", like cooking and so forth. I think I'm just not up for grand stories.
Although I will be giving one punch man a shot.

kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 16 Feb 2016, 01:14

I know it was mentioned in the "looking forward to" section of the Summer podcast, but did you guys watch the series finale of Working!!!? What did you guys think of it? Everything you wanted?

Also, something I found on hulu is Girls Beyond the Wasteland, which an episode in seems better than I was expecting based on the description.
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 16 Feb 2016, 03:26

If you want something mundane and nice, I can recommend Non Non Biyori (which I think Beej mentioned in a previous anime episode). It's about a bunch of girls at a tiny school in rural Japan, just going about their lives, having fun and doing nothing much. It's sweet and the art, particularly the backgrounds, is really, really pretty. Makes me want to visit the countryside, and I hate the countryside.
It's fish in a tin!
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 16 Feb 2016, 10:04

Not really sure about what I ment by mundane, I don't thinnk I'm against some magic/fantasy. I think I'm mostly looking for a series where the main objective not to be so grand, people enjoying the small things, like caring about a garden or something and being satisfied with that. The things that have grabbed my attention the most in the podcast is the stories where they go in to detail about something "trivial", like cooking and so forth. I think I'm just not up for grand stories.
Although I will be giving one punch man a shot.

Ah stories with smaller scale or a particular focus. I can relate with wanting something more like that. I'd add Shirobako to the mix for that. It's about a group of girls who are going to enter the anime industry after they leave high school. It focuses mostly on the one who becomes a producer (I think that's the job she got..) and how she has to work with other people to make all these things happen. It's interesting from the standpoint of seeing how this stuff comes to be and from a relationship perspective as well with having to work with so many different people.
However I really feel it also has that satisfaction of accomplishment at the end.

I know it was mentioned in the "looking forward to" section of the Summer podcast, but did you guys watch the series finale of Working!!!? What did you guys think of it? Everything you wanted?

Beej and I did end up watching that. I thought it was decent but I was a bit disappointed in it. Mostly because the end of the season when they bring it up shows some fantasy stuff of the characters to grab your interest for the finale, and none of that happens at all. And its not like it would have had to have had any of that but I was expecting something really silly or at least a moment of getting that so when it didn't happen I felt somewhat disappointed about it.

I do remember enjoying it otherwise.
Beej
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby Beej » 16 Feb 2016, 11:38

kodra wrote:I know it was mentioned in the "looking forward to" section of the Summer podcast, but did you guys watch the series finale of Working!!!? What did you guys think of it? Everything you wanted?

As Heather mentioned, we did watch it. I really liked it and was also disappointed it wasn't a sword-and-sorcery hallucination, like the preview teases.

kodra wrote:Also, something I found on hulu is Girls Beyond the Wasteland, which an episode in seems better than I was expecting based on the description.

We're watching that too. We're a few episodes in. I think it's pretty good, but not my pick for the season.
Beej

Postby Beej » 16 Feb 2016, 11:40

Side note: Heather and I are watching more than just the shows we mentioned in the podcast. The shows we mentioned were the ones we wanted to comment on from the previous season, and the ones we felt seemed most interesting for the coming season.

It doesn't necessarily mean that we dropped something or that we won't be watching something else. Everyone agreed that we should make the podcast shorter because I talk too much.
Beej

Postby Beej » 16 Feb 2016, 11:41

Tinfish wrote:If you want something mundane and nice, I can recommend Non Non Biyori (which I think Beej mentioned in a previous anime episode). It's about a bunch of girls at a tiny school in rural Japan, just going about their lives, having fun and doing nothing much. It's sweet and the art, particularly the backgrounds, is really, really pretty. Makes me want to visit the countryside, and I hate the countryside.

Seconded. Non Non Biyori is quite funny and very laid back.
LunarJade

Postby LunarJade » 16 Feb 2016, 21:17

kodra wrote:Also, something I found on hulu is Girls Beyond the Wasteland, which an episode in seems better than I was expecting based on the description.

We're watching that too. We're a few episodes in. I think it's pretty good, but not my pick for the season.[/quote]

Oh wait.. I didn't recognize the name for that one when it got brought up here. I've been calling it Game Making Club or something because I never really caught its actual name when we've watched it.

I quite like it. I'm keen to see where it goes.

Also as Beej mentions we have seen other stuff and did decide to try and cut ourselves down because we can go too long otherwise. And over a season we sometimes pick up stuff that hadn't piqued our interest from PV's. I often end up putting extra shows on a list that I plan to get to much later if I have the spare time.
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 17 Feb 2016, 17:01

For some reason Crunchyroll's selection is missing a lot of these suggestions here in NZ (Netflix is even worse, and Hulu just flat-out doesn't exist). Grr. Girls Beyond The Wasteland I'd probably check out, and the premise of Usagi Drop sounds interesting (even if, when I see the name, I can't help but think "colony drop!"). Alas. Actually I'm probably going to cancel my Netflix subscription, it just has a very limited selection if you're not interested in grimdark stuff.
It's fish in a tin!
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 17 Feb 2016, 17:06

Hmm, if you're in New Zealand, then I think your best bet for streaming is on Anime Lab. I'm not sure how different the streaming licensing is between NZ and AU, but you could also see what comes up on http://because.moe/au
Mums

Postby Mums » 25 Feb 2016, 05:19

A small update, me and my girlfriend binge-watched One-Punch man and loved it. I didn't find any good place to stream Silver Spoon so I started us on Non Non Biyori, which we both liked but decided it wasn't something we wanted to put our main focus on so we tried Polar Bear's Cafe, same thing there. She wanted something fantasy so we have started looking at Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, which seemed to be a mix of what we both wanted. We're two episodes in and like it, but none of us feel that comfortable with the handling of females and I hope it gets better. Do you have any recomendation for things similar to Grimgar but without the ass and boob zooms (and talk)? I know it's not as fanservicey as a lot of those shows can be, but we're not super comfortable with it as it is.

-also in Polar Bear's Cafe, the line reading on the first time Panda mom uses the vacuum on her son had me laughing like a madman for over a minute, I started crying from laughing.

Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 25 Feb 2016, 10:09

What is it about grimgar that you do like? That would help us pick something else that might fit better. I'm not watching it so I'm not sure what kind of fantasy it is. Do you like action? politics? world building? different creatures/cultures?

Return to “LRRcast”