LRRcast - Top Five Sketches

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

LRRcast - Top Five Sketches

Postby James » 09 Mar 2016, 22:26

On this weeks LRRcast we take a trip down memory lane. Join James, Cameron and Paul as they discuss their top five LoadingReadyRun sketches!
Dandinstorm12
First Video: Sonic and the Black Knight Unskippable

Re: LRRcast - Top Five Sketches

Postby Dandinstorm12 » 09 Mar 2016, 23:57

I would love to go and watch it, (War of Christmas) James...
ritchards
First Video: The Job (first video on The Escapist)

Postby ritchards » 10 Mar 2016, 01:16

Talk about all the sketches? ... like the DVD commentaries?
GSC
First Video: the unskippable pilot

Postby GSC » 10 Mar 2016, 11:40

Unfortunately many of the videos discussed were hosted on blip and are now unavailable :/

(Also, something easily fixable: the "COMMENTS" link under the video points to an nonexistent thread: t=24722 instead of 247223.)
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Bergie » 10 Mar 2016, 17:17

Top 5, in order I remember of their existence (note: I only really started watching you guys in Season 8 or 9):

SPRING!
Doctor's Hate Her
The Whole Story: Pants
Omni-Lingual
The Couch

Special mention to How to Talk Like a Pirate.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 11 Mar 2016, 13:05

My top 5 would be:

1. What's Going On?
2. Alex's Stream (CH)
3. The Couch
4. Munro's Meats
5. Cruise Vacation
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 11 Mar 2016, 13:48

After trying to write this post for an hour and rewatching a bunch of sketches, I just can't narrow it down to five. I think The Couch is the best sketch LRR has produced, but there are so many good ones. Maybe if I did a top five for each season...
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 11 Mar 2016, 15:07

Let's see now...
1. Doctors hate her
2. Wizard chat
3. Meatfist's terrible choice
4. Flat Out
5. Destiny Tales

Yeah that seems about right.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 11 Mar 2016, 15:43

I posted mine just after the end of the sketches, so I'll just cheat:

5) The Tale Of Matt Wiggins - I still find myself singing along to this at random times.

4) Papers, Please - Andy being Andy in glorious Andyness.

3) Brain Transplants Made Easy - I have a fondness for strange situations (which explains some of my manga library :P ), so this video really resonates with me.

2) Heard But Not Seen - Such a great Cam character, and some strong acting from all.

1) What's Going On? - This is easily my most quotable video, it just works on so many levels for me. And dress warm.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 12 Mar 2016, 18:31

I'm pretty sure this is the longest LRRcast ever. Watching the videos mentioned really added to the length.

I really don't know how I would be able to rank my top 5 videos, let alone choose them consistently.

1. The Couch - People more eloquent than I have spoken about why this is so good, and I completely agree. It's such a great high concept sketch, with an abbreviated depiction of the stages of grief.

i. Ransom - I just love how this video takes a common trope, turns up the absurdity, then follows it to its logical conclusion. It's a great showcase of LRR's humour, and one I like to show if I'm introducing people to LRR. Plus, isn't there a tradition of comedy directors casting their mothers in a small part or something like that?

a. The Canadian - This is probably the LRR video I've watched the most. I just love showing all my friends, because nothing is better than laughing at ourselves.

I. SPRING! - People really like Everything is Fine as a high energy sketch, for good reason. I really love the acting dynamic between crazy enthusiastic Graham, and passive, wimpy Paul. The punchline at the end also cracks my up every single time. On a slightly tangential note, people frequently note how Everything is Fine is a really short video. SPRING! is actually a bit shorter at 2:57 vs. 3:05, though most of the difference is from the stinger.

A. Bros Clubbing Bros - There are better written and better produced CH videos. In particular, I really like the videos with matching dialogue transitions, like Homebrew. This is my favourite because it has stuck around so well, and made such a major impact within the LRR community. For such a long time afterwards, Graham would get clubbed at conventions, and there's the story of how Ashley won bros clubbing bros forever. Hell, I even did my share, giving Graham a defence club soda. Beyond that, it almost has a mini X ways to Hide Club Soda sketch embedded in it, and that meek "I win" from Alex at the end was absolutely perfect.

Honourable mention goes to A Stitch in Time, which was the sketch that got me watching the sketches weekly.
HeyZootie
First Video: Commodore Hustle

Postby HeyZootie » 15 Mar 2016, 11:09

Heyoooo LRR crew, can you all list your favorites here + links to the Youtube vids so we can rewatch them in sync with the LRRcast? I understand some got lost with Blip, but that also means it's a great time to pull them out and upload them to YT :D

Thanks and great LRRcast! I really enjoyed it.
CaptainEnder7
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby CaptainEnder7 » 16 Mar 2016, 13:44

My 5, in no particular order:

EVERYTHING IS FINE - I hadn't laughed at anything for a good long while as I did at this sketch.
What's Going On? - The newsreader is an amazing
The Couch - A great, well-told and absurd narrative that I just loved.
Omnilingual - "I need thish mansh driversh lishcence numbah"
Krogslist - Krog and Torg make for good video. Should be given many shiny stones, trade for many pelt.

Honorable mentions go out to Papers Please, The LRR CD-ROM Game and Questionably Legal Man.

"Ok, so, some sort of well-dressed ostrich. What's the next move?"

"CaptainEnder7: Space Asshole and Rogue Space Pooper" - Kathleen (and Graham) Commercial
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 17 Mar 2016, 06:40

In no order:
Doctor's Hate Her (great effects and story)
The Writers' Room (Andy is so good)
Conan's Witnesses (silly fun)
It's Magic (cuz Alex and Angry Kitties)
Decadent Sports League (Paul yelling "I'm expensively blinded!" is hilarious)

Honorable mention is Skeletor's Dick, because it's probably the one I watch the most
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
andNowMyWatchBegins
First Video: Unskippable Lost Planet

Postby andNowMyWatchBegins » 21 Mar 2016, 10:58

Would it be possible for the top 5s that can be made available from both podcasts to make it into a YouTube playlist of concentrated awesome.

Also re-uploading any that aren't available now would be great too. Although that is a non-zero amount of effort so I won't hold my breath
NickTheDM
First Video: Ways to Hide a Body

Postby NickTheDM » 21 Mar 2016, 18:52

Hey everybody, thought I'd take a crack at actually setting up that Bracket to find out what the Community's "Top Sketches" are. If anyone wants to help make it happen come over here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24739
Grenevil
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Grenevil » 24 Mar 2016, 23:15

In the latest LRRCast Graham mentioned that some of his favorite sketches can't be found online any more. May I suggest that you do a LRRCast in which the participants take the old script of some of those sketches and do a Live Read?

Return to “LRRcast”