LRRcast - Anime Recap: Winter 2016

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Graham
Super Moderator

LRRcast - Anime Recap: Winter 2016

Postby Graham » 10 May 2016, 14:45

Join Beej, Heather, Cori and Ian as they discuss the latest offerings from the world of Anime.
FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Re: LRRcast - Anime Recap: Winter 2016

Postby FITorion » 10 May 2016, 16:51

been wanting a place to talk anime with LRR peeps.

So my Spring watch list... Bungou Stray Dogs, Kuromukuro, Anne-Happy, Netoge, Shounen Maid, Big Order, Flying Witch, Tanaka-kun, Haifuri (High school fleet), Pan de Peace!, Macross Delta, Kuma Miko, Sansha Sanyou, Re:Zero, Bakuon!!

My big disappointments: Kiznaiver, Uchuu Patrol Luluco, Sakamoto desu ga

Disclaimer... opinions... everyone has them... these are mine. They do not have any barring on yours.

Had high hopes for Luluco. The preview looked like it might be good... then it was utter Trigger crap. Trigger has only done 1 good thing ever. Little Witch Academia. Everything else I've ever seen of them advertises well... gets my hopes up... even looks pretty good for the first few minutes before descending into utter terribleness. They're probably the studio I'm most disappointed by. In that everything they do sounds like it'd be good... until I watch it and it isn't. For instance... Kill La Kill... I liked the first few minutes of the first episode where she's walking through the town... And not anything after that. Seems almost everything they do is not what I like... except Little Witch Academia... SO I keep giving their shows a chance hoping against hope they put out another good show.

End my trigger rant.

Favorite shows so far for spring:
Flying Witch. Love it. Could do with a touch more story-line and drama but even if it doesn't get those it's a lovely slice of life.
Haifuri. Girls und Panzer but Navy with less everyday school and no competitions and 100% more real peril.
Kuromukuro. Hey! a Mecha anime... and I like it!? how odd. Before this there has been only Patlabor that I loved. Most other mecha anime... cough gundam... cough I hate. Or am just kinda indifferent.

Last season stand outs.
Akagami no Shirayukihime - Love it.
Gate - Love it.

Several more I liked but either haven't finished yet like Erased or just liked and not loved.

I really wonder how well my liked shows match up to those at LRR and if there's any cross over with those I'm ill matched with. Namely I think I match well with Beej and am nearly the opposite of Ian. I find this odd because I think personality wise I'm much more like Ian than Beej. But I like slice of life. I like Cute. I like romance... but am getting tired of harem. I can ignore a certain amount of "fan service" and see through to a good story if one is there to see. I don't care for over the top fighting. I don't like never ending anime... Naruto, Bleach, One piece... (watched Bleach for a while until I figure out that it was going nowhere)

Any way that's just me and my opinion should not be seen to disparage anyone else's likes or dislikes. I don't like most everything Trigger does and that's OK and it's OK if you like it.
unpronounceable
First Video: A Stitch in Time

Postby unpronounceable » 10 May 2016, 18:31

I'm going to post my thoughts on shows I've watched/been watching soon, but I want to say I'd really enjoy a podcast, or whatever, on Shirobako. I finished rewatching it a week ago, and it's still fantastic.
Eric the Orange
First Video: The Job

Postby Eric the Orange » 12 May 2016, 09:54

My entire exposure to manga/anime these days is from a podcast I listen to. And that's a Manga podcast, So I only know about Anime that's been adapted from Manga they cover. On that note, My hero Academia (AKA boku no hero Academia) Is REALLY promising if you like Shounen stuff. It feels much more well planned and thought out than stuff like Bleach or Naruto.

But then again it's still relatively early in it's run comparatively. Naruto and Bleach also had strong starts and were still great at about two years into publication. I can only Hope My Hero doesn't fall into the same pitfalls those two did.
Jonci
First Video: Some ENN video

Postby Jonci » 12 May 2016, 12:44

What was the anime that was "like Sword Art Online"?
I'm not insane. I just have an overly vivid imagination!
the_8th_mage
First Video: checkpoints

Postby the_8th_mage » 12 May 2016, 13:06

i can't understand how to find anime they talk about when they say japanese words really quick. i would like if somebody could write it afterwards or just give us something to search with.
anyway, aside from the general rant, can someone tell me what series they talk about in min 16? it's something like hidro sengurum grogar.
FITorion

Postby FITorion » 12 May 2016, 13:39

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar

Think that answers both Jonci and the_8th_mage

Also for easy reference later... here's a link to the lrrcast. https://youtu.be/IP6RUlGqXxc
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 12 May 2016, 17:35

So, most of the things I actually watched last season were forgettably mediocre. Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue, and Myriad Colors Phantom World were wholly unmemorable.

For this season, the better shows I'm currently watching are Flying Witch, and Tanaka-kun is Always Listless. Flying Witch is wonderful, just as Beej described. Tanaka-kun is exactly what it sounds like. It's a comedy about the likable, but supremely lazy Tanaka, and his husband best friend Ohta who always takes care of him.

Anne-Happy, is a cute-girls-doing-cute-things show in the same vein as Kiniro Mosaic or Is the Order a Rabbit, with a punny name that doesn't translate well. It's about a group of girls that have bad luck, and you know what it doesn't matter what it's about. It's a comedy manga adaptation, where each character has their quirk, and it seems to be a solid adaptation, if nothing special.

The others I'm watching: Ace Attorney, Luluco, and The Lost Village (Mayoiga) were already mentioned.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 13 May 2016, 05:37

I'm surprised Sakamoto didn't get a mention (unless I missed it), given that someone seemed to be watching it in the latest Loading Time.

I've seen a list of what could be in the upcoming season, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing what gets picked up by the crew.
Beej
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby Beej » 13 May 2016, 10:54

Maybe this'll clarify what we're doing; maybe it'll invite further questions...

Anime review/preview comes with limits.

We're limiting ourselves to one hour of discussion for each Anime review/preview so the LRRcast isn't too long. If it's too long, people find it harder to listen. Then it's harder to attract more listeners overall (and that can make it harder to attract people to the Patreon as well; LRR is still a business, after all).

To fit in one hour, we put a hard limit of six shows each in discussion. Three previous shows, three new shows.

I (not we; I can't speak for the other three) want to be able to follow up on what we watched from the previous season with a bit of a discussion about what we felt was good or bad or mediocre or disappointing. That's why I've mentioned shows that I had a good feeling about, but was ultimately let down. Sometimes I feel it's more important to point out a show where I was disappointed because I think that's more interesting than "this is good and this is good and this is good".

But I also want to mention what we're excited about or interested in watching in the new season, because things that are *exciting* make for good listening. If I'm excited by "Flying Witch", I want to spread that to other people and help you get excited too.

Personally, I'm watching more than three shows each season, but I try to pick the standouts to discuss.

So there you go - one-hour-long, four people talking, previous season review & new season preview all-in-one. A lot of limits. So we need to be picky.

And here's a new wrinkle: what with LRRcast becoming LoadingReadyLIVE, how we do anime reviews is definitely going to change from now on. We don't know how yet.
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 13 May 2016, 18:53

How many people would be interested in watching anime together? I'm thinking of organizing a simulwatch modeled after the ones run on Something Awful. Basically we watch an anime as though it were currently airing, and have a thread dedicated to discussing said anime. I really like seeing reactions people post as it "airs", and it makes for a great way to watch previously aired shows.

If more than a couple people are interested, I'll make a thread in general discussion so more eyeballs see it. I'll entertain show suggestions, but I'd like to do The Tatami Galaxy
FITorion

Postby FITorion » 14 May 2016, 18:07

Watching the Flying Witch opening just now and it strongly reminded me of another opening. Remember the one with laughing people in various locations while Nuclear explosions go off in the background?

I can't remember the name but I get a strong feeling of similarity with the Flying Witch opening.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 14 May 2016, 19:56

FITorion, I believe you are speaking of Paranoia Agent.

unpronounceable, I would potentially be interested, thought I tend to watch older series more than one episode per week. Tatami Galaxy is great though, so you should watch it regardless.

I'm so glad they talked about Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū. I thought it was one of the best series I ever seen. The characters and storytelling are so intricate and detailed and subtle. It's clear the creators really put their hearts into this series. The use of rakugo as a storytelling tool was really well done. The art direction is also fantastic. If you like character dramas then I strongly recommend it.

In the podcast they mentioned being disappointed that the story didn't end, but I thought the second season was announced before the last episode. I remember not being at all surprised since I already knew the story was continuing. I'll definitely be looking forward to it.

The other series I watched last season was Haikyuu!! Season 2, which continued to be fun and wonderful. One of the best sports series I've seen.

This season I'm watching Flying Witch, Sakamoto and Ace Attorney so far, though I might swap out for another. Flying Witch is superb while the other two are pretty terrible. Ace Attorney has improved a little bit though.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
FITorion

Postby FITorion » 14 May 2016, 22:25

hmm... weird Flying Witch and Paranoia Agent are from different studios and they're openings are by different people... And yet... They seems so similar to me. Is it just me or do they seems similar to anyone else?
unpronounceable

Postby unpronounceable » 21 May 2016, 17:11

I'm not sure how many people will join me, but I made a simulwatch thread for The Tatami Galaxy, as I said I would. Come join me, and let's watch a fantastic show together.
Tyhm
First Video: Picture if you will (1st I remember name

Postby Tyhm » 03 Jul 2016, 04:26

Ian/Paul -
Thank you so much for posting the titles in the Youtube edition description.

Could we, by any chance, get a text dump in the podcast description/this website/the Youtube description?

I figuratively died listening at work, trying to jot down how I think the words you were pronouncing were spelled - one summer class in Japanese did not prepare me.
(Mercifully, "Erased" is an easy one.)

Shows Mentioned:

Winter 2016:
Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Dagashi Kashi
Digimon Adventure tri. 2: Ketsui
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
Sekkou Boys