March 13th :: Fun with Microwaves

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
James
LRR Crew

March 13th :: Fun with Microwaves

Postby James » 13 Mar 2008, 17:26

Look in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a PODCAST (LRR STYLE)
theProphetSuz

Re: March 13th :: Fun with Microwaves

Postby theProphetSuz » 13 Mar 2008, 17:29

James wrote:Look in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a PODCAST (LRR STYLE)

Yay! a Podcast!
Fighting for truth, justice and the Canadian way.

...or something.
Green Eggs and Hampire
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 13 Mar 2008, 17:53

march Ugh? i like it
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Mar 2008, 18:59

It IS a podcast! Eew... wait, this podcast must have been re-heated in the microwave... it's all mushy and disgusting.

Radioactivity is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from microwaves! D: One is emitted particles, the other is electromagnetic waves! But yes, this discussion was awesome. I think LRR should talk about science ALL THE TIME.

Microwaves. Yeah, a bar of chocolate is the one I'd heard. Percy Spencer. Happy accidents! The first food to be deliberately cooked with microwaves was popcorn, and the second was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters. Thank you, Wikipedia.

Apparently, microwaves traditionally come in three sizes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven#Sizes

* Compact Microwave-46 cm (18 inches) wide, 35.5 cm (14 inches) or less deep and 30.5 cm (12 inches) or less tall.

* Medium Capacity Microwave- 50 cm (20 inches) wide or more.

* Large Capacity- Well-over 50 cm (20 inches) wide, as much as 50cm (20 inches) deep, and 30 cm (12 inches) or more high.

Paul knows nothing about Nintendo control schemes? D: I've tried all the control schemes, and I actually like all of them. I use the Wii-mote/Nunchuck controller mainly, since my Gamecube controllers are all wired and that's a pain.

AUGH MR. RESETTI. XD Graham, he goes away in a few minutes, by the end of the battle. You don't have to reset the console. It's pretty funny. He just blocks your view.

Red Delicious apples are DISGUSTING. They're mealy and flavorless. Granny Smith ALL THE WAY. GO EVERYONE WHO LOVES GRANNY SMITHS. High fives! I love the sourness.

I've heard Pink Lady apples are really good, never tried any. Fuji are meh. Golden Delicious are blah too, too much brown.

Paul needs to reread 1984! Dude, they had to stand up every day and do a three-minute hate. They couldn't write, all they had to drink was dirty gin, all they had to eat was dirty coffee. WTF? Didn't know they were being oppressed? Life sucked.
Last edited by AlexanderDitto on 13 Mar 2008, 21:09, edited 7 times in total.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 13 Mar 2008, 19:02

im more concerened abotu the odd fellow Jer recountd trying to return a PS3, and then deciding to throw it off a bridge. Which makes me wonder if he could PROVE he bought it, and not stolen it.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 13 Mar 2008, 19:39

I am so busy but I want to listen!
And I can't even listen to it before falling asleep because I am going to fall asleep right away.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 13 Mar 2008, 19:57

7 minutes is not enough! We want the full 2 hours!

On the subject of HD-DVD, though I agree with the pros laid out by Matt, I have to say Im disappointed by how he underplays the aspect of media capacity.

HD-DVD was doomed to fail where DVD did. As soon as resolution is once again increased in consumer televisions (which will happen within 3 years), HD-DVD would be obsolete. The medium is capped at 1080p. 1280p and 1440p will both become standard native resolutions within the next decade and HD-DVD would not be able to handle it without severe compression which would limit image quality, undermining the purpose of HD technology.

On the other hand, Blu-Ray will allow a longevity to the medium that we havent had since VHS and THAT'S what attracted the movie studios. They thrive on the status-quo. As they produce higher quality video, they have lots of room to play with on the medium without having to change the install base. Im willing to bet Blu-Ray will be able to reach resolution of 1900p before another format war ensues.

As for Microsofts digital downloads.. well take a picture in photoshop at 1920x1080 pixels, compress it to full then multiply the file size by 24 (for frames per second) then multiply that by just 7200 for just 2 hours of video with absolutely no frills.. then figure out how long it would take to download such a file.. And figure out where you could store a library of them.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 13 Mar 2008, 20:04

AlexanderDitto wrote:Paul needs to reread 1984! Dude, they had to stand up every day and do a three-minute hate. They couldn't write, all they had to drink was dirty gin, all they had to eat was dirty coffee. WTF? Didn't know they were being oppressed? Life sucked.

Yes it sucked, but YOU know it sucked because you know things could be better.
That was all they had, it was the only configuration they knew existed, and as far as they knew from the news, they were thriving. They had more shoelaces and razorblades that any other previous year!

as for the three minute hate. I would submit that YOU just went on your OWN 3minute hate, Which we all know is just a redirection of sexual energy. =D
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 13 Mar 2008, 20:05

You guys just had to pick Alliance didn't you?
Citin

Postby Citin » 13 Mar 2008, 21:08

I believe that the ivory soap acted like it did because of the higher amount of air that ivory whips into the soap. That's why Ivory floats while other soap sinks, it has a lot more air in it then other soaps
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 13 Mar 2008, 21:15

Vaughn wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Paul needs to reread 1984! Dude, they had to stand up every day and do a three-minute hate. They couldn't write, all they had to drink was dirty gin, all they had to eat was dirty coffee. WTF? Didn't know they were being oppressed? Life sucked.

Yes it sucked, but YOU know it sucked because you know things could be better.
That was all they had, it was the only configuration they knew existed, and as far as they knew from the news, they were thriving. They had more shoelaces and razorblades that any other previous year!

as for the three minute hate. I would submit that YOU just went on your OWN 3minute hate, Which we all know is just a redirection of sexual energy. =D

My three minute hate only lasted about five seconds. :oops: Sorry. I... I got excited, baby.

Oh come on. "Oceania has ALWAYS been at war with Eastasia." Psh. I suppose it's partially true, but if there was an entire ministry dedicated to "Love," I doubt the main character's under-goings were a rare thing. But seriously? The junior anti-sex league? Where can I sign up?

Hey, I've got a great idea! How about I just keep buying all my movies on DVD, and get them all really cheap. My TV's not high def anyway. Cheap, blurry movies, just the way I like them.
Citin

Postby Citin » 13 Mar 2008, 21:30

I love using the wii mote with smash, just turn of jump if you hit up and use C.

Also I've got Mr. Resety. He doesn't require you to reset but he does stick around till the end of the round.
"I'll be in Africa. If you need me just phone Africa, I told them to expect your call." - The Pointy Haired Boss
theProphetSuz

Postby theProphetSuz » 13 Mar 2008, 21:52

HD-DVD, assuming your right and it is better than Blu-Ray is a good example of how the idea that allowing the market to decide things is not always the best policy.

Personally, I'm still fairly happy with DVD. We dont have a HD TV, so there's not much point.
Besides, I hear most HD TVs are energy guzzlers anyway.

DVDs are cheaper and as good a quality as you can possibly need (I dont need to see the detail of anyone's stubble).
I think I can spend what little money I have more effectively.
Green Eggs and Hampire
theProphetSuz

Postby theProphetSuz » 13 Mar 2008, 22:01

Oh, and I'm not all that familiar with the other two but living in Nineteen Eighty Four world would suck. The government is basically obsessed with power at the expense of all human pleasure or hope.
At least in Equillibrium they got rid of emotion out of a concern for preserving life. Ingsoc is basically bent on making life torturous and worthless.

It wasnt listed, but I think Huxley's Brave New World would be my pick of dystopian futures to live in.
Green Eggs and Hampire
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 13 Mar 2008, 22:25

I still wanted to see Silverware. :(
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 13 Mar 2008, 22:25

For the record, Mr. Resetti stays for the rest of the match, not until you reset the game.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 13 Mar 2008, 22:47

Did Matt do research on HD-DVD, or is he just that much of a geek to know all that stuff off the top of his head?
theINC

Postby theINC » 14 Mar 2008, 01:37

mistyladybug wrote:Did Matt do research on HD-DVD, or is he just that much of a geek to know all that stuff off the top of his head?

He claimed that HD-DBDBVD uses a red laser
It doesn't!

Uses a blue laser but the same disk MEDIA as DVD.
Fits more, but not as much as Blu-Ray, which was made for more content but more expensive.
Woland owes me 10 points.
Steelfeather

Postby Steelfeather » 14 Mar 2008, 02:24

So you guys are on DarkIron, Alliance side... what are your usernames so we can find you??

I think you guys should have a massive ass vote and have all the viewers vote on what ONE video you guys should re-vamp - then do it!

I think it would be an interesting skill comparison to see how much better you guys of gotten over the years, to re-act, re-film and re-edit one whole video as you originally scripted it.

I would personally love to see Suspend Your Disbelief re-done with better audio syncing and flow. (though I still love it!)
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Mar 2008, 03:30

A lot of people are wierded out when they say my username, most people just call me Lying for short.

Yay! My first post in AskLRR was read! Although, I certainly didn't expect a conversation about apples lasting that long...
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Mar 2008, 06:01

Lyinginbedmon wrote:A lot of people are wierded out when they say my username, most people just call me Lying for short.

Yay! My first post in AskLRR was read! Although, I certainly didn't expect a conversation about apples lasting that long...

Apples are serious business.

People are VERY passionate about their fruit.
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 14 Mar 2008, 13:12

I liked Paul's protip about customer service.
Are we ever going to find out the story of how Morgan was fired, or is that to remain a mystery?
The Pious Flea

Postby The Pious Flea » 14 Mar 2008, 15:15

Let's just say that it had to do with a Superman outfit and leave it at that.
I require a dance of intellect. Put on your thinking shoes!

Dance with us, LRR! Dance with us into oblivion!

Do not question me! I control your arms!
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 14 Mar 2008, 17:57

LRR LIED TO ME!
Resetti totally goes away on his own in brawl. =( takes like 4 minutes, but he does. =D
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
theINC

Postby theINC » 14 Mar 2008, 18:23

AlexanderDitto wrote:Apples are serious business.

People are VERY passionate about their fruit.

By that, I thought you were talking about Apple fanboys.

Woland owes me 10 points.

Return to “LRRcast”