LRRcast for commodoreHustle 02

Talk about this week's LRRcast and what you'd like to see in future ones.
Paul
Super Moderator
First Video: Tetris

Postby Paul » 10 Nov 2008, 16:28

Sorry, my fault. Should be online now.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 10 Nov 2008, 16:50

Silicon cooking utensils, and cookware, are amazing. I just want to add my affirmations on it.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Nov 2008, 17:24

The Canadian = Sex in a canoe is a quote from Pierre Berton.
Linky;

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/pierre_berton/
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 10 Nov 2008, 19:22

I knew I'd solve the case. A job well done
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 Nov 2008, 19:26

before anyone does any additional calculations - what I'd really like to know, is how much impact force would typically be enough to kill a person.

additionally, an xbox 360 is 3.5 Kilos, or 7.7 pounds.

-m

I am not angry at you.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 10 Nov 2008, 19:27

A person's neck will break when travelling at roughly 980.66500 m / s2 (g's). Not sure how that translates into an object hitting the person on the head/neck, but I'm sure it's similar
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 10 Nov 2008, 21:13

While many people have been able to calculate the speed (6.9 m/s), momentum (24 kg m/s) and kinetic energy (84 J) of the 360 as it hits poor James no one has pointed out that the force of a collision is dependent on the length of the collision - the longer the collision occurs the lower the force. The force of the 360 hitting James is not the weight of the 360. This is why to try to land with your legs bent - bending your legs allows your body more time to slow down rather than making you legs all absorb all the energy and momentum at once. The force and hence the damage to James is all dependent on how he catches it. If he Xbox hits James and he is able to stop it over a long time say it coming to rest over a distance of 20 cm there would be an average force of about 420 N. However if the XBox comes to rest over a much shorter distance say a 1 mm the average force would be 84 000 N.

The amount of force required to kill some one is a very complex quantity depending many factors including on where it the body it hits, over what area the force is applied and how long the force is applied.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Nov 2008, 21:33

The other thing to consider is the force isn't just going into the air. If he was laying against the ground, the force might knock his head into the concrete, and THAT would suck.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like it might have hurt him, but not killed him (barring some medical abberation).
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Nov 2008, 21:38

The human body is remarkably resilient, and even if it just hit his chest and bounced off, he'd likely survive, albeit with his wind knocked out. His head hitting the ground would indeed be a main worry, since if he hit it hard enough, he may not be able to regain his breath in time, and asphyxiate.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 10 Nov 2008, 21:57

Weren't you going to select a winner/favourite from the "Your Debut Album" game thread this week?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 10 Nov 2008, 22:04

King Kool wrote:The other thing to consider is the force isn't just going into the air. If he was laying against the ground, the force might knock his head into the concrete, and THAT would suck.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like it might have hurt him, but not killed him (barring some medical abberation).

Part of that would also need to be calculated by what orientation the 360 would have been at the moment of impact. The area of the smallest sides of the 360 would cause greater pressure than the largest sides, as the weight/mass of the 360 would be the same, but the pressure exerted would be different according to the inverse square laws of physics.

Suddenly I hate my Acoustics of Speech class, for making me know this stuff...
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Nov 2008, 05:39

Evil Jim wrote:Weren't you going to select a winner/favourite from the "Your Debut Album" game thread this week?

I mentioned this on the previoud page, they probably forgot.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Nov 2008, 13:28

Elomin Sha wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:Weren't you going to select a winner/favourite from the "Your Debut Album" game thread this week?

Right.

Crap.
Sorry.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 11 Nov 2008, 14:57

Graham wrote:
Elomin Sha wrote:

Right.

Crap.
Sorry.

Ever going to do the drinking game challenge Graham?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 11 Nov 2008, 17:29

metcarfre wrote:The Canadian = Sex in a canoe is a quote from Pierre Berton.
Linky;

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/pierre_berton/

That version of the quotation would have worked a lot better for my question. Also, Berton's Canadian.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Nov 2008, 17:59

Yeah, he's quite a famous historian. He does really good 'popular' history books, mostly about Canadian history. I think he's passed away...

Checks internet...

Yup, he bought it a couple years ago. Great writer though, I have a pile of his books. Vimy is one of the best I've ever read of the First World War.
iwashere33
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby iwashere33 » 12 Nov 2008, 07:17

you know i totally didn't even get the while apple thing until i listened to the pod cast.

it's like enlightenment in bite size
Ian McKellen, now!
Dominic Appleguard

Postby Dominic Appleguard » 12 Nov 2008, 08:17

metcarfre wrote:Yeah, he's quite a famous historian. He does really good 'popular' history books, mostly about Canadian history. I think he's passed away...

Checks internet...

Yup, he bought it a couple years ago. Great writer though, I have a pile of his books. Vimy is one of the best I've ever read of the First World War.

What about the Great War? The Canadian involvement in it, or a more macro-scale overview?
Because there's never been much 'play' in the various places I've lived for stories about Canadians during the World Wars. You see how these biases work.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Nov 2008, 14:16

Yes, it is most specifically about the Canadian experience in WWI. I should have mentioned that. Also it was particularly about the battle for Vimy Ridge, one of the most important battles in Canadian History. If you're interested it's a very good read, though I doubt you could find it in the States.
Other favorites of mine include Marching as to War, kind of a collection of history from the Boer War to Korea, which he calls Canada's Fifty Years of War. Also The Invasion of Canada and Flames Across the Border which are a pair about the War of 1812.
Hey - it's almost been 200 years since the USA and (then-British-colonies) Canada were at war! How about that?
Casandro

Postby Casandro » 12 Nov 2008, 23:34

Matt wrote:before anyone does any additional calculations - what I'd really like to know, is how much impact force would typically be enough to kill a person.
-m

That question cannot be answered by itself. You can easily sustain thousands of newtons in one situation, while a single newton might kill you instantly. You have different body parts which are more or less sensitive to forces.
And then there is of course pressure which is force per area.
So while you might be able to sustain having a one kilo book on your head which gives you about 10 Newtons of force, The same book, balanced on a thin needle placed on your chest might puncture you. Depending on what it hits it may be fairly harmless, or very dangerous.

Then again, the force a moving object makes when it crashes onto another object greatly depends on how quickly the object has to slow down. The best example are cars. In the past cars were made hard, so in case of a crash, they would stop nearly imediately. Now manufacturers are trying to make the front of the car as "soft" as possible. The idea is that the slower the car slows down to the halt, the less forces you will have which increases your chances of survival.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 13 Nov 2008, 00:08

Are you calculating the weight from the drop to the ground or to James' chest?
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 16 Nov 2008, 19:15

Donde esta el LRRcast?
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 16 Nov 2008, 20:36

Lord Chrusher wrote:Donde esta el LRRcast?

No hable espanol...

It's coming, I just remembered. Sorry. I'm not used to doing them.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 16 Nov 2008, 20:38

jtaylor wrote:I think the mass estimate Master Gunner used is too high. Based off a mass of 3.5kg, the kinetic energy is more like 83.6J or 0.522 sextillion electron volts (5.22*10^20 ev).

.522 EeV. 10^21 is exa-.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 16 Nov 2008, 20:49

Graham wrote:Sorry. I'm not used to doing them.

That's what she said?

Seriously though, we trust you, and wait with baited hooks to catch the LRRcast.

Return to “LRRcast”